Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Andromeda: Apart from all the technical stuff, everything had a very design by committee feel to it. They set the game in another galaxy to not have to deal with continuity, then the first aliens you encounter are generic humanoids with assault rifles and it just is downhill from there. The gameplay is all busy work and grinding and the story is dull and uninteresting.

bone emulator fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

What was bad about andromeda again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KWkao73HuU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

StoryTime posted:

I seem to remember earlier development was made on another engine, but the devteam was forced to port the thing to frostbyte at the last minute, which led to some of the more hilarious bugs during release. There's some pretty wacky footage on youtube on how the game functioned early on.

All in all, it seemed to be a standard case of EA making GBS threads on a project that wasn't projected to pull FIFA microtransaction levels of profit.

Nah, there's plenty of evidence Bioware share a large portion of the blame. Production was a mess without a solid vision of what the game actually would be. The released product was hastily duct taped together to at least technically be playable.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren::spooky::drac: Vs Series - Fury of Dracula Challenge starting in 15min! :drac::spooky::siren:

https://twitch.tv/shallnoiseupon

Got a gangtag to hand out in exchange for a donation and choosing the winning team!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All you need to know about Andromeda is they created a whole new galaxy of planets and only one new alien race

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rarity posted:

All you need to know about Andromeda is they created a whole new galaxy of planets and only one new alien race

and scrapped or butchered old ones

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Riviera was a GOAT game on GBA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was not expecting Fury of Dracula to be a mapgame...?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was not expecting Fury of Dracula to be a mapgame...?

In 2020 people only like board games that require watching a 35 minute tutorial video to play

But it's fine because you're only half done laying out all the pieces after that long

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
You can't just launch a team of Belmonts at a Dracula and be done with it, if it were that simple we wouldn't have all these Draculas popping up every 100 years.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
CHIHIRO NOOOOOOOO! :cry: You were too pure for this world :negative:

Updated Character Power Rankings

1. Hina (swimmer) - she called me her boyfriend and we are going to escape and get married and have a lovely life eating donuts together
2. Kyoko (who da fuq knows) -
3. Chihiro (coder) - pouring one out for a real one I was so hype to see you get rough and tough :(
4. Mondo (gangster bro) - turns out he's a sweetie under all the bravado
5. Taka (prefect bro) - once you get to know him he's really just kind of a goober
6. Sakura (badass) - sorta just boring, sorry
7. Celeste (gambler) - I don't really like you but I guess I respect you
8. Naegi (lucky dipshit)- lol you wet your pants
9. Hiro (psychic) - I don't even know how to deal with you
10. Togami (doucheboy) - I know you didn't do this coz it's way too early for you to go but I still hate you
11. Hifumi (nerd) - can you just not me gross for five seconds
12. Toko (writer) - girl you are just exhausting

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

I just started Teardown; I thought I'd just check out what's new in the world of voxels, but it turns out it's pretty fun as a game. It was described to me as "smash a path between the objects you need to steal so you can grab them all once you set off the alarm," which, eh, but there's more variety in the smashing--like Shipbreaker, different materials need different tools to smash--and some of the grabbables can be driven around in cars or boats without setting off the alarm, which adds to the puzzle of how you configure the space.

It is in early access, so I'm expecting it to run out of levels any minute now.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

drat, the Mine level of the first episode of Dusk is giving me some trouble. Keep dying at the last minute from those tall fellas

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright gently caress it, I too am gonna spoilerpost about Dangan Ronpa

I just got access to Free Time for the first time and between telling me to hang out with Sayaka after her giving me a speech about how she will do literally anything to accomplish her goals is really making me feel like she's about to do a kill. But, maybe that's just what the game WANTS me to think?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I got married today, happy halloween!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

A man on the internet ripped the cardboard box his PS5 came in!
https://twitter.com/monikbht/status/1322200764111069184?s=20

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Congratulations :)

Hope your vows were better than the ones in Days Gone

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Congratulations on being lucky enough to win the need roll.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

How wonderful! Best wishes.

Erfsom posted:

A man on the internet ripped the cardboard box his PS5 came in!
https://twitter.com/monikbht/status/1322200764111069184?s=20

That's Richard from Digital Foundry. In the source video it's pretty clear it was already torn beforehand (as if this matters)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rinkles posted:

That's Richard from Digital Foundry. In the source video it's pretty clear it was already torn beforehand (as if this matters)

No, this is evidence of Xbot bias in the mainstream media

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Congrats!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

happy halloween and congratulations!

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Congrats!! :D

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hey! Congrats!!!!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

halloween wedding day is badass, congrats

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

This is pretty e/n but it’s become clear to me now, looking over the years and my many, many starts and restarts in Baldur’s Gate, Pillars of Eternity, tyranny, Divinity Original Sin, dragon age, Skyrim, dark souls, basically every fantasy rpg, including MMOs, I am most comfortable and happiest when my character is a guy or girl in full-plate and on the frontline. I can’t do range. I can’t be squishy. Plate armour is the coolest armour

I think I’ve found, me.

Ofc in every Fallout I’ve always just been a rifle sneaky guy, never really done melee, so who knows

Im the guy that learns one dumb trick and plays the game wrong the whole way through getting mad if the trick fails and i have to actually learn how to really play

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

wuggles posted:

And...ta-da! That's a bingo. Didn't think I'd get one.

https://bingobaker.com/#aeabeed1d1aca872

e: while you're loving around with my tags can I get my Knack one changed to the Bugsnax one?

Gf spent all month making a costume like the May Queen from Midsommar (a hundred dollars worth of small flowers later...) so I bought a bear hoodie and splattered some fake blood on it. Then we're gonna order pizza and I'm probably going to play some Dusk.

Can you link the bugsnax one?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was fun and we were as safe as possible with covid, kept the reception real small, set up a zoom meeting for some people who couldn't attend, made sure we had hand sanitizer and mask for everyone, and the whole thing only went for 4 hours. We are planning on doing a larger outdoors reception in the summer to invite friends and the rest of the extended family, assuming it's safe to do so. I now have the next 8 days off, gonna play the heck outta some video games and work on the backlog some.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Can you link the bugsnax one?

I hope this is what you meant:

Depending on how Infinitum's game goes, I might get a Vampire Killer tag to replace this one :)

Thanks!

Yep please just make my third tag (after only trust your fists + bingo buddies) the vampire hunter one :D

wuggles fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 1, 2020

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is ARK... good? Is it jank? I see it's on gamepass and like 130GB, and I tried a bit and felt it was not really worth the single player investment. Like a Minecraft with dinosaurs? I'm more of a Factorio kind of person, is there something here that maybe I would dig if I kept at it?

i have sank a lot of time into ARK and it is very jank, but if you like dinosaurs, crafting, building stuff, and losing things you worked hard for because some random pig decided to walk by then it can certainly be a fun way to waste a whole bunch of hours

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

:siren: Bingo Is Almost Over! :siren:

Accordingly, I will start handing out gangtags now. Quote this post with a picture of your bingo sheet and I will tag you up! If you don't quote me.

https://bingobaker.com/#7e10e3b5a3901814

I think I've been posting about game mechanics all along, but just in case: I really like the thing in Link to the Past where you don't just press A on the switches, you have to grab them and pull them out of the wall to activate; it's a little bit of extra work but it adds so much to the physicality of it and feeling like you're actually doing it.

At the time I thought it was a holdout in the general streamlining process whereby adventure games and RPGs of the time were consolidating actions into a single use button, but this Miyamoto interview (http://shmuplations.com/zeldalttp/) says it went the other way:

Miyamoto posted:

If you only had to press A, players themselves wouldn’t understand whether they were intended to pick something up or throw themselves against it. I think they’d be unsatisfied if they’d solved a puzzle by accident when they hit A, intending to pick something up, but the character pulled it instead.

However, if we’d made the controls too difficult, there would have been people who didn’t learn how to use them. That’s why we put in a way to grab things, and the game became the way it is today. There were staff members opposed to it, though. There are switches that require you to pull them, right? You’ve got to pull them no matter what, so you should be able to do it just by pressing A. But just pressing a single button doesn’t make you feel like you’re actually pulling something… That’s why I put in two types of switches, one which wouldn’t be correct. If players can decide for themselves which way it’s supposed to go, they’ll get a greater sense of satisfaction when they figure it out. It took a lot of time to bring out that feeling.

And it worked!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was fun and we were as safe as possible with covid, kept the reception real small, set up a zoom meeting for some people who couldn't attend, made sure we had hand sanitizer and mask for everyone, and the whole thing only went for 4 hours. We are planning on doing a larger outdoors reception in the summer to invite friends and the rest of the extended family, assuming it's safe to do so. I now have the next 8 days off, gonna play the heck outta some video games and work on the backlog some.

Grats, enjoy your gamer honeymoon

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
:rip: Infinitum

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Very happy for you! Enjoy your new life together!

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 1, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s the November thread title?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

No Nut November Chat Thread: Its Conker Month

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Jay Rust posted:

November: still poo poo, or slightly less poo poo

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Everyday's Great in Your November Thread

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

November Chat: RIP Infinitum

I lost

No Spider-man or Shadowlands chat for me!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
November Chat Thread: See you in December, Infinitum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Infinitum posted:

November Chat: RIP Infinitum

I lost

No Spider-man or Shadowlands chat for me!

You went out like a champ. That was a good time