Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in Australia, AnimeLab's put up their simulcast list for the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strange Quark posted:

They dropped so many f-bombs in the first ep of Hypmic and I think they only went ham because there are tons of f-bombs in the official rap lyrics too.

This was in the OP:

I haven't watched it yet, but now I hope it gets a dub. Funimation have a history of taking an MA rating and abusing it as far as they can push it :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Space Flower posted:

It's been or becoming somewhat common to just... leave everyone in the dark until the end of the first half or something. Strange practice.

I'd wager it's to A: build up demand in the emergent fanbase, and B: be able to quietly take a show out back and shoot it if there is no emergent fanbase.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, I see what people mean about Ikebukuro West Gate Park. Their cunning plan to expose the guy running a drug ring, after finding his grow op, was planting a small amount in a stupidly-fabricated place and tipping the police off... instead of tipping them off about the actual illegal grow-op in the apartment? :confused:

Also holy poo poo did Akudama Drive have a strong first episode :magical:. That show has style.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

the contrast between these two shows is impressive, one is utterly cowardly, the other dgaf and will bulldoze all social mores to make its point

It's not even cowardly, it's just dumb. I get the kind of show it wants to be, but it's gotta really lift its game. For "the story that Durarara!! was based on"... Durarara!! tells it way better so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malsangoroth posted:

Or pretend that we the audience are invested in someone who we find repulsive? Looking at YOU, Overlord.

Nah, Overlord's big trick is to draw the audience in with the Tomb of Nazarick mostly being honorable decent to eachother and those under their domain... and then viciously pulling the rug out once or twice a season with something astoundingly dark or heinous to remind the audience they are loving evil.

Especially in the last season with their method of testing their defenses by luring multiple adventurer parties in to see how they fair. And then watching from the heavily-backstoried adventurer's perspective as they all experience total party wipes :gibs:. Or the Black Baby Goats :cthulhu:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tales of Woe posted:

i get that the lesson of the episode is supposed to be 'small kindnesses done out of ignorance and privilege can lead to tragedy' but putting both these stories together without having elaina pay it forward in some way in the second one feels really off, like the show has abstained from making a clear point and just comes off as "poo poo happens i guess"

The second story really should have been a full episode. I get what it was trying to do, but it's a story that really needs subtlety and time to let everything snowball to the finale to make it actually land.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm really enjoying Akudama Drive. The animation is movie-grade loving gorgeous and it's balancing its over-the-top stupidity with a good self-set internal logic rather than just pulling random poo poo out of its rear end. Well, except maybe the afterburner on the Bus, and that was just loving awesome. I really hope this show goes the distance and doesn't run out of budget or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

Funimation according to Senpai.moe

AnimeLab has it as well in Australia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

I've watched the first two episodes of Sleepy Princess, and I think I'm sticking with it just to see how far they can stretch this dumb loving premise. :allears:

I actually just did the same and I swear the princess is the most evil thing in that castle, goddamn :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CrazySalamander posted:

The title is something like good night demon girl so I think this is the central conceit of the series.

Every time you see her eyes go cat-like it's like you're watching one of those drama scenes with a serial killer sitting calmly in the room with their next victim :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Akudama Drive episode 3 stuff:

So the episode makes a point of the Executioners having infiltrators and the Boss potentially calling in backup. The opening has a fourth Executioner in addition to the Master, Pupil and Boss. Said fourth Executioner is a short-ish guy with blonde hair and green eyes. This could be a red herring, and for all we know he could be in heavy disguise even if it isn't, but it is a match for Hoodlum's stature and hair/eye colour.

I was thinking the exact same thing when that came up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Watched the latest Wandering Witch and I don't think it was as bad as last week's. When you're dealing with a very powerful witch with mental trauma issues in a dead country, sometimes the best option is to just get the gently caress out of there ASAP for your own sake.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

Having read the novel, the thing that bummed me out was really that they removed 1.) a bit more material clearly establishing that Elaina actually really hits it off with Mirarose before the fight, to the point where I'm almost not sure if she's meant to have a bit of a crush on her and 2.) Mirarose is much more lucid and menacing after killing Javalier, in a way that Elaina (who, again, had grown much fonder of her than the anime really made apparent) clearly finds deeply unsettling and more than a little painful. Instead of losing touch and reality and talking to her dead spouse while Elaina just watches in the background, the novel's version of events ends with Mirarose "teasingly" offering to join Elaina on her journey, to which Elaina responds only with "please stop." It all serves to give the story some much more personal and specific teeth than just another "gee, sucks to be THAT country" one-off and I don't feel like the anime really got it across at all.

It's weird because it's really nicely produced and still directed and storyboarded well-enough in the moment, but the overall adaptation decisions have been mediocre to bad basically from the beginning IMO.

Yeesh, that sounds much better :sigh:. How do you gently caress up adapting what're already standalone stories?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grouchio posted:

:siren: Kaguya Season 3 has been announced for 2021. :siren:

How cute! :magical:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Isn't there a live-action TV series for Way of the House-Husband coming as well?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Tyre Genie is a hell of a reference to come out of nowhere in Sleepy Princess; Michelin Man and Michelin Stars

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grouchio posted:

1. Did....Princess just catch a gaseous flame with scissors? :monocle:

2. Brb gonna casually usurp your ice revolution so I can air condition my cell. :allears:

1. I think it's meant to be a Will-o'-Wisp.

2. Holy poo poo she does not even blink over murdering the Ice Golem with her frozen pillow. Just walk off, :murder:, drag his corpse in and tell them to build an igloo. She is ABSOLUTELY going wind up the actual Demon King by the end of this show. :stonklol:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

Wandering Witch is quickly becoming "Careless Traveller, poo poo-rear end places". It's just... mean spirited? It's like a cute-witch version of The Witcher.

I'm half-wondering if we're supposed to start thinking that Elaina and the witches are actually total assholes the way you go "Oh wait, Nazarick and Ains are loving evil"

That'd be an interesting journey series; Just something like Kino's Journey, watching a protagonist travel from place-to-place as they see the sights and engage with the locals... and it's not until the end of each story you're made to remember they're actually a serial killer as someone gets Dexter'ed or just a straight tragic end for being around the protagonist when their hungry for stabbing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tales of Woe posted:

pretty rare for anything to get more than 2 cours greenlit at a time these days, especially original anime where theres no source material it needs to get through

Just for argument's sake, it could be a soft launch to see if people actually want an Inuyasha sequel rather than going all-in and having a financial dud on their hands.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cave emperor posted:

I feel like by now most studios should have figured out how to make anime remotely, or at least with proper safety measures, and that the delays in the spring season were mostly due to companies scrambling to switch to a new working style on short notice. The current season is as packed as any good season in the before times, and it's not like COVID ever went away in Japan.

This isn't necessarily something in the anime industry, but some managers just really want their underlings back in an office as soon as possible where they can be watched at all times, COVID be damned.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My only complaint with Beastars is the translation is unnecessarily literal with some of the names in the English script. Aside from that is a really great show and I can't wait for season 2 :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Forgall posted:

Fansubs did some questionable things, but they were way better than netflix subs. Those are just awful.

I admit this is just minor nitpicking, but I just want to know how a professional translator looks at a story with a western-derived setting, and a mix of English and Japanese names among the characters, sees "Rouis" and doesn't immediately swap the R for an L. I thought we left the basic stuff like this behind with quick-and-dirty schlock anime translations in the 90's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

i've seen a lot worse cgi in anime so i'm not sure why so many of the comments focus on that, the music is embarrassing though

A professionally-made television series should not look worse than RWBY's animation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

cases going up is if course bad, but i dunno how helpful focusing so heavily on it is, or tying it to anime production

Cases up means everything has to go into lockdown to contain the spread either city or nation-wide, and anime production goes with it. It's the only thing that stops COVID hotspots.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

It will be interesting to see which studios have best equipped themselves for socially distanced production, though.

The smart ones should've been ready for this once Japan had their first wave of outbreaks, so hopefully some of them saw the writing on the wall that it wasn't gonna be a one-and-done thing even after it was brought under control.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Willo567 posted:

At least for now the number of cases isn't seriously as high as we're seeing in places like France, the U.K and especially the U.S.. I just wish that Japan was handling it more professionally like South Korea is

Immediate case numbers don't really mean a lot because of COVID's two-week lead time between infection and symptoms. 270-odd cases doesn't look too bad up from 219 with just those two dot points, but it can easily turn into 2000 in a week or two because just a few of the infected went out in busy places right before they actually started feeling a bit sick. It's a crapshoot as to whether this outbreak has been caught in time and we won't know for a month or so either way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This week's simulcast episode of Fire Force (episode 12) sure took some turns. :stonk:

cave emperor posted:

From what I remember the Japanese government isn't really able or willing to legally enforce things like quarantining and social distancing due to some clause in their constitution. Asking people and business to please cooperate (and/or trying to shame them into cooperating when that doesn't work) does go a long way in Japan, but without the threat of fines it's hard to keep even a relatively obedient population in check after nine months.

Even with fines you can still see some real dumb poo poo (Not to say they don't work as a general deterrent of course). We've had a serious lockdown in Melbourne going for months to contain an outbreak from July that we're only now coming out of and, while the majority of people got on the same page pretty quickly on what was necessary, every so often there'd be one dumb fucker caught by the cops driving across half the state because they need their special coffee or groceries. Or you'd get a bunch of people hanging out having a party in a house somewhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

The big twist in the latest Akudama Drive has me laughing like an idiot.

THE MOON ISN'T REAL FOOL

Here's the thing though; Literally everyone had to have seen that throughout Kansai, so there's probably a whole lot of freaked-out people right now just for that one personal jab :stare:. My current theory is there's actually nobody alive in Kanto and they're all AI hoping to get new bodies. Either that or they're all sick from radiation poisoning/bioweapons/gently caress-knows-what with their tech, and hoping for a cure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Shield Hero apparently did, in the 'turd polished to an impressive lustre' sense.

A lot of light novels that get adapted into anime are pretty crap, so it's not hard for their animated versions to be a step up. Now, actual good shows that make solid source material better? Those are rarer. I hear good things about Sleepy Princess this season, though.

I haven't read the manga, but Sleepy Princess has been basically anime Looney Tunes. Or possibly a set of Animaniacs shorts. If you're not watching it already, you absolutely should because it's funny as hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eeepies posted:

From this year alone, Bofuri, Sleepy Princess and Nana are all better in anine format than manga.

In order:
Bofuri - benefits from better action scenes and montage sections, especially that montage music setting up for the final one.
Sleepy princess - The quest introductions are beautiful, and the humor works far better here.
Nana - Nana's double voice, color filters, and the double face imagery all stand out compared to the manga.

Are the RPG quest introductions new to the anime? They really do bring it all together nicely :allears:

Also the OP is an absolute banger to boot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Boy they really weren't kidding about that "unsuitable for young viewers" warning with the latest Elaina, huh? :stonk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

The funny thing is that story wasn't even terribly graphic in the book. It's the same basic sequence of events but as far as the actual violence goes the descriptions are fairly bland wrt the violence, mostly asserting that there was a lot of blood and that Serena made lots of scary noises but not lingering nearly as hard on each individual lovingly rendered chunk of gristle as the anime decided to. Even acknowledging that story as easily my least favorite of the stuff TL'd so far, the novel's version was more just goofy than grotesque. IMO

There was zero reason to show the young girl's lifelessly-staring severed head and corpse on the ground, the whole point of a cutaway shot is to, you know, not show what you actually cut away from. Especially when it sold the scene perfectly by cutting to the clock striking the hour.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

macabresca posted:

Can I have a Demon Teddy Bear instead, shipped with undying loyalty in exchange for brushing?

One of the most horrifying things I've ever seen in anime was Sya looking at that dear sweet Teddy Demon with their big innocent eyes and seriously considering killing it for its fluff. That scene could've gone either way and I was almost more surprised she didn't :suspense:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Caught up on Akudama Drive, and goddamn it continues to be amazing :suspense:. I didn't notice til episode 6, but the rocket they use is the same design as the Danganronpa one used to Punish the Headmaster :allears:. It's also really nice to see Swindler just accept and own the fact she's an Akudama now instead of regressing into a moralizing mess like some characters do, just violently murdering the poo poo out of people when she has to. And Cuthroat too :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Just out of general curiosity, what is a "white box" copy? A prerelease set?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm hardly surpised, CR's coat looked to be on the shakiest nail in AT&T's portfolio what with it's output consisting of stuff like the public embarassment that is Ex-Arm's trailer and the semingly mothballed High Guardian Spice.

Hell, if not for Rooster Teeth and Gen-Lock, I'da said that was a number 1 with a bullet.

I never realized Ex-Arms was a Crunchyroll project, loving hell :stare:. Getting bought out by Funimation really is the kindest thing that could've happened to them at this point, given some of their project choices have been pretty egregious (eg; Shield Hero).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just caught up on the latest Wandering Witch and, uh... was that story in the original Light Novels as-is? Because good grief :barf:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/WEP_anime/status/1339087976291168257

original anime called wonder egg priority announced. main selling point is that its writer is a big live action tv writer, but he hasn't written anime before and the director isnt a name talent or anything. he's had ep director and storyboard roles on a few big things but his only previous full director role is 22/7. hope tis good tho, i really like the character designs and vibe.

Didn't Ex-Arm just try to do the same general thing with "we got a big live-action name to help produce this"?

I do agree it does look very well made though, I like the general art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

The only good live action anime is the Gintama movie

The live-action Gantz movies are legit good action films.