Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Phobophilia posted:

Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst, a show with a nigh incomprehensible name, seems to be getting zero press or hype. It's based on a mobile game. It is very seineny and seems tailor made for netflix.

But you know what? It's telling a pretty interesting story. It's about the lives of two people getting completely upended by accident after intersecting with revolutionaries and smugglers and corrupt self serving governments. It has a turn of the 20th century aesthetic. It has the classic fantasy manga trope of scary magical monsters and uses them as the backdrop of a society falling apart at the seams.

"Evil Truth: Firstly" isn't even close to being the most incomprehensible name to come out of a place where games will have names like "Under Night: In-Birth."

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:stare: :psyduck: Elaina ep 3 :psyduck: :stare:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arist posted:

Ehh, in medias res openings are pointless 98% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ-Z_DW0AuE&t=47s

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've watched the first two episodes of Sleepy Princess, and I think I'm sticking with it just to see how far they can stretch this dumb loving premise. :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CrazySalamander posted:

The title is something like good night demon girl so I think this is the central conceit of the series.

lol. 魔王城でおやすみ translates to "Goodnight at the Demon Castle." Don't confuse 城 (jou) with 女 (jo).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is that meant to be a pun, then? Because I thought 'maoujou' was a term that meant something like 'magic princess' or 'demon princess'.

So, you have 魔法 (mahou) in 魔法少女 (mahou shoujo) for magical girl; 魔王 (maou) for demon king; 王女 (oujo) for princess; 魔女 (majo) for witch; and 魔王城 (maou jou) for demon (king) castle.

Mix and match. :v:

Truga posted:

eh, sometimes de can be used kinda like a "with".

still, don't think it's meant to be a pun in this case

Yeah. The で particle only translates to "with" when denoting utility. (e.g.; Eating with chopsticks.) It never refers to doing something in concert with someone/something. It's not a pun.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I have a co-worker who refuses to watch Rick & Morty (while nominally loving odd adult swim style comedy) because Justin Roiland is a loving weirdo who made a skit about loving a baby.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I made a Sleepy Princess thread!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I'm just getting whiplash from Majo no Tabitabi now. For this latest episode, I was half expecting Fran to give her a bouquet of flowers as she left only for the flowers to be her students or some hosed up poo poo. Instead, I get a rather mundane but overall entertaining student/teacher reunion. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

Cant wait to get my rear end handed to me by Matador all over again in the remaster. :dance:

I have a sneaking suspicion they're going to ease off the ball-slap that is Matador.

Ironically enough, after hearing so much crap about Matador, I felt like a badass taking him down first try. Then I hit Hell Biker and he stone-walled me forever until I found out you can just skip him until later. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

So...uhhhhh...did we see any non-mammal, non-fowl characters in season 1?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oxxidation posted:

reptiles are a thing, but until this part of the story they were all in the background

Also, it feels weird that they aren't anthropomorphized. It's just a big talking snake. :stare:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tales of Woe posted:

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1324231100764360705

new goro taniguchi anime next season, looks like mecha. written by the gurren lagann/kill la kill/promare/etc writer

A mecha-suit that shoots arrows out of it's back like Astroboy shoots bullets out of his butt.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FilthyImp posted:

One of the things said about the old detective procedural Columbo is that it wasn't a WhoDunnit as much as a HowCatchem... because the real fun in the story was watching Columbo puzzle out how to prove his hunches and inferences. And ultimately it ends up being hubris that does most crooks in.

Nana kind of captures that feeling. Because she's tasked with not only figuring out the mechanics and limitations of everyone's powers, but also how to navigate the school and how to come out ahead.

Ok. If you're really comparing this to Columbo, I have to give it a chance. That's my favorite show from the '70s, and the only police procedural/mystery show I've ever enjoyed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god I just watched the one where Adachi stays home from school and it's just the most awkward, sweet thing ever. :swoon:

Hey, this is really dumb and ignorant but can someone educate me on what same-sex relationships are like in Japan? I've never looked into any stigma at the high school level with that, and I realized I'm woefully uneducated about it in the nation in general.

Sexuality in Japan in considered a super personal thing to begin with. Public displays of affection are generally frowned upon regardless of orientation. The corporate world runs on a Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell policy. And while homosexuality is looked down upon by older, more conservative people, there is always the undercurrent of "duty" to a lot of sexual conduct. It is why cheating isn't really considered that big of a deal, so long as you complete your familial duties (e.g. Father providing for the family, mother caring for the family, young people getting married and popping off a couple kids). What you do in your free time is on you. (Also, they don't have that Christian influence on societal views of homosexuality poisoning the well like most western countries do. And as a side note, Samurai culture was deeply homoerotic almost to an ancient Greece level.)

That said, like a lot of cultures that are becoming increasingly "Americanized," younger people are becoming more up front and open about their orientation if only to rebel at tradition. But it hasn't gained mainstream acceptance like it has in the US. But they've always been more tolerant of it than we have.

Edit: Well that's an awkward loving snipe. >_>

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 9, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Colonel posted:

there is no one i trust more to help me understand the state of gay rights in japan than an internet poster on "the somtehing awful" web site

I know, right? :v:

But really. Take everything I said above with a grain of salt. I'm not gay, and I haven't lived in Japan for almost a decade. But just from keeping up with my friends over there, what I read, and my few interactions when I go visit, that's my best take.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nephthys posted:

She is also still a teenager, so expecting her to start murdering people and become a fugitive for the rest of her life is a bit of an ask imo. It's kind of expected in a protagonist but I'm not going to get outraged over her not stepping in in the instances I've seen.

I've only seen up to ep4, but the fact that they don't age her character model is a little offsetting. She qualifies as a temp at 14, trains for a year, and by the time ep4 rolls around, she hadn't seen her mentor in what...5-6 years? So, she's like 20 now but looks exactly the same. :psyduck:

And in anime time, 20-year olds are practically oji/oba-sans.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

they really arent.

Yeah. Way to miss the point, Endorph.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I like the literal grapeshot joke at the end of the latest Elaina.

Also, when do you think she's going to realize (anime only but pretty obvious guess here) her mother was Nike?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Elaina ep 8: Ya'll are loving weird.

I wonder if she's ever going to...you know...get any blowback from her attitude towards others.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Allarion posted:

Like one of the stories that got cut just features this muscle troupe that Elaina keeps running into, which is basically a completely silly story. The anime still retains them in cameo form though if you've been paying attention.

I was wondering what was up with the dudes in vests doing bicep curls in the background. They popped up back-to-back at the end of ep 6? and the beginning of ep 7? Something like that. It was just a weird thing to notice when all the other recurring characters have speaking parts.

That said, if you want a show that is adapted pretty much perfectly, you should join us in the Sleepy Princess thread. Best show of the season! :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 21, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh and also the anime has a line that's subtitled as Serena saying that her dad sexually abused her. The official translation of the story just says that he "bullied" her and doesn't really have any other lines suggesting anything sexual going on. I'm reasonably sure, then, that that line was either yet another stupid change on the anime's part or a mistranslation by the anime subtitles, though I'm open to the possibility that it's the LN translation that got it wrong.

Don't know what the line in the LN is, but the subtitle translation is correct based on what she says in the anime.

Also, is it wrong that I'm enjoying it more, the more it becomes apparent the director/producers give no fucks since none of the source material seems to be saying anything particularly insightful to begin with?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 30, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elephant Parade posted:

how do you know that about the source material when all you've seen is the adaptation

Because I'm an rear end in a top hat on the internet. Also, I'm just referring to the stories they've adapted so far. Stories they haven't adapted yet aren't yet "source material". So, I'm making my judgement based on what they've decided to show us, and IMO, none of these stories have particularly insightful things to say, even if they had been adapted better.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Aw yesss, Talentless Nana is really kicking off now. Best character reveal had me so hyped.

I was wondering who that guy was in the OP. I thought it was the teacher. But then I thought how dumb/cliché it would be to make him the final boss. Now, I'm just confused and that makes me more invested. >_>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I haven't read the manga, but Sleepy Princess has been basically anime Looney Tunes. Or possibly a set of Animaniacs shorts. If you're not watching it already, you absolutely should because it's funny as hell.

Confirm best show of the season. Tag line text currently under construction.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Confirm best show of the season. Tag line text currently under construction.

Tag line fixed! Thanks, Julias!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Latest Elaina was pretty good up until around the 24 minute mark.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tamba posted:

It's not related to Oreimo, it's by the author of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQCX6tIzC4

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Electric Phantasm posted:

PYF fake anime brands

Imagine being the intern whose job it was to go to a FamilyMart and spend 5000yen on reference material for that shot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

Never saw it, Visha from Tanya deserved better, that stance is not changing. :colbert:

What do you have against Visha's character design? :psyduck:

Julias posted:

https://twitter.com/joseinextdoor/status/1340436834942414849?s=19

It turns out D4DJ is being directed by Seiji Mizushima, the director behind FMA 2003, Shaman King, and Gundam 00.

That looks like something out of RWBY. Interpret that as you will.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

Remember the manga? I wanted the visual aesthetic of the manga

Meh. I agree in general, but I always though Visha's design in the manga didn't match the rest of the cast. Like...way more CLAMPy than everyone else?

Endorph posted:

you are all the least funny and interesting people on planet earth

All due respect, but you're probably the last person in this thread who should start slinging stones regarding humor on a dumb dead comedy forum.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Half the reason I love the Fate franchise is just for seeing random showndowns between stylized depictions of historical and mythical figures. Ragrarok is going to scratch that itch nicely. (Hopefully.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
A couple days behind on the season finale of Elaina, but I see they decided to resurrect (and fail to answer one of) the age old questions of if you had a chance to sleep with yourself, would you? And would it be gay or masturbation?

Also, some of the short cut animation looked janky as hell. The Elainas getting swung around by the vines and her hand in the opening shot were literally just stills being moved around the background. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

With the season wrapping up what are some good shows people suggest?

I watched/Watching:
Talentless Nana
Higurashi

On my list:
Adachi to Shimamura

Seems like I should also watch:
Jujutsu Kaisen
Akudama Drive

Maybe watch:
Majou no tabitabi

???:
Noblese?
Moriarty?

Any hidden gems?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

the japanese are human beings with senses of humor, irony, and comedic exaggeration, op

But I always thought Japanese people were all serious with familial and social duties being the sole motivator in life!

Also, that Japanese is a flat language!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cave emperor posted:

Might still check out Sleepy Princess.

Dooooooo iiiiiiitttt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!