Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ryomen Sukuna reminded me of something, and I realized that he was a boss in Nioh 2. Apparently his name means Double faced Spectre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Ryomen Sukuna is a fairly well known yokai/spirit yeah. The Nioh 2 version is pretty much how it's described, with a face on each side of its head and 2 sets of arms and legs. Jujutsu Kaisen's verison is quite different.

Going from the newest episode. Ryomen Sukuna in his original form was pretty much the same as described.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nobara is pretty great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And so we are introduced to the other primary villains of the series. Getou and the Disaster Curses.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Time for Gojou vs Jougo. And Jougo is a Curse roughly half as powerful as a full powered Sukuna.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For a little surprise. Jougo is the strongest of the villain group.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Excited to the most advanced curse slaying weapon of all in the preview, "a gun"

We already know that a Handgun is all that is needed to take out Grade 3 Curses or below (If Mundane weapons worked on Curses)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ibblebibble posted:

I appreciate Nobara always being willing to talk smack no matter what.

Also bless this girl.

Miwa is great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Defeated (but somehow still alive) villains getting their heads used in darkly humorous + humilliating ways is nothing out of the ordinary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxeGbfS3frE

Though it's not normally the villains doing it to their own member.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So yeah this is why the villains are called the Disaster Curses. Cause they are all curses made from fear of Disasters. (And Humanity.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Mahito and Sukuna are such dicks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing about Mahito is that Sakuna can be more of an rear end in a top hat, but you kind of have to respect his commitment to the craft of being a total rear end in a top hat.

Mahito, meanwhile, is just the worst.

Also Mahito gets more screen time and opportunity to do things. Sukuna would also be the worst if he could freely act.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Sukuna in this series was a person rather than a manifested curse like Mahito/Jogou/Hanami. Sukuna's deal isn't just that he's super powerful (where just one of his fingers is enough to make a special grade curse), but that his technique/mastery are beyond even somebody like Gojo- he can effortlessly dunk on Mahito despite having maybe half the amount of cursed energy because his mastery of curses/cursed technique is essentially the absolute peak of the art.

Sukuna was a person who became a curse after death. After all a person doesn’t have two faces and four arms. Then at some point he was defeated and his curse energy was sealed into his fingers.

The current version of Sukuna is stronger than Mohito he’s just not as strong as a Jogo in terms of raw power.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We do have an image of original Sukuna. His hair color was similar and that is pretty much it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brutal Garcon posted:

Even if the Kyoto team can claim trying to kill Yuji is morally justified, they're definitely already disqualified from this competition, right? No murder was one of the rules.

They have not murdered him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

grieving for Gandalf posted:

how much of the manga are we expecting to get adapted this season? I noticed the manga is only 135 chapters long so far

I think we have maybe one more arc after the Exchange event for the first season.

Checking things. The Vs Mahito arc was 13 chapters and ended on chapter 31. This arc and the one after it take up 33 chapters so they could both be adapted.

I would also love if we could get the 4 chapter Volume 0 adapted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is there a manga thread? There's a lot to talk there too that obviously shouldn't be said here.

The Shonen thread currently as a Manga thread has not been made.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

You can create the thread if you feel like. Apparently, the arc that just finished running in the manga was off the hook, hence why I'm staying the hell away from spoilers for the time being.

It was pretty cool, though it was long.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The girls are cool.

Also kind of sucks for Mai there. She has a cursed technique that is theoretically powerful, but she lacks the energy to use it in any capacity but making one really simple object.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wonder where Maki would be if her family didn't insist on blocking her.

Probably a grade 2 Sorcerer as she would be able to easily handle grade 2s. And Sorcerers are for the most part ranked by the strongest type of Curse they can easily handle.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There are three Great Jujutsu families. Zenin, Kamo, and Gojo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's amazing how Hanami is so creepy then the Juju Scroll happened.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

Oh no it turns out the old man is awesome

Details I just learned about said old man from the data on him

" His Tee-shirt says Hendrix. He loves Jimi Hendrix. Gakuganji is currently looking for a drummer."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's kind of weird for there to be a "fear of nature's wrath" cursed spirit that is like plants and stuff instead of weather

I mean, who's afraid of trees, other than lumberjacks?

You joking tons of people are scared of the Forest. Which is what Hanami represents not plants.

Jougo mentioned that the Disaster curses had a boss, maybe said boss is the fear of the sky and storms.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fear of the night/darkness would also be high.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also unlike Demon Slayer Jujutsu Kaisen was not in the middle of it's final arc. (A major arc to be sure but not one that was sure to be final)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Crunchyroll heavily mistranslated Black Flash.

Black Flash is a distortion in space that occurs when cursed energy is applied with 0.00001 seconds of a physical hit. (Not a trillionth) When a sorcerer is able to achieve this, their cursed energy flashes black, and the force of their strike is increased by the power of 2.5. (Not times 2.5, the power of 2.5)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 19, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Very important to understand the critical hit mechanics correctly.

Yeah it's basically critical hit the power.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

unless the story suddenly gets like 10x as anal about power levels i don't understand how that distinction could ever make any actual narrative difference

like (hopefully?) i don't need to dredge up my memories of high school algebra to calculate that Gojo is Real Strong

Nah the creator just likes math. And a hit to the power of 2.5 is more impressive then a hit times 2.5.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So fun fact about the Hanami fight namely the Black Flash barrage. According to the author in a note that would have killed Jougo. So it just shows how tough Hanami is. Though the same note states that Jougo would not have gotten hit by said barrage, as he is much faster then Hanami, and does not need to tank blows.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

his technique lacks bullshit death-touch mechanics or AoE effects that must be countered with domains or techniques specifically suited for it to avoid instantly dying.

Hanami was about to use Domain expansion would would have caused his stuff to pretty much be instant death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Jougo or Mahito have a lot more means to instagib people without domain expansion.

Oh of course. But the second domains are used it's pretty much over for 99% of sorcerers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Chaotic Flame posted:

I thought a domain only countered another domain if it was stronger than the first?

I don’t think Simple domain can’t be outright overwhelmed by a stronger domain, but all it does is pretty much create a safe zone in it where you won’t get guaranteed hit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

It does also let you autohit just like any other domain, which is quite nice.

Regarding Gojou, I guess the other thing about him is that jujutsu practitioners draw power from curses. Having power means that you are cursed, that you become a curse on the world yourself, or both. So what the gently caress has he got hanging over him that lets him be so stupidly powerful as a fair trade?

Slight spoilers

The moment he was born all curses became stronger to make up for the power imbalance

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kirtar posted:

That and it still has the limitation that it dispels if the user moves away from the activation site.

It dispels if the user takes a foot off the ground.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Baseball.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love that the little profiles Say that Mai stole Miwa's Mango

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it was mostly fine but I don't know what the assistant girl's name is because it was covered by a white box

Niita.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. I mean, Nanamin is straight up Yoshikage Kira except... y'know, more pissed off.

And not a serial killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Should note this is a super impressive feat for Megumi, the number of Sorcerers that can do a domain expansion is in the single digits even for an incomplete one like his. Nanami an Impressive sorcerer himself states it’s the pinnacle of Jujutsu Sorcery that he could never obtain.