Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

how many newtons of force are behind the punch of a really buff high schooler

genuine question i would love to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Would it. Assuming his Punch was lets say a 25. To the power of 2.5 would be 3125. Which makes sense for something like his hit against Eso were it blew his arm off when it hit.

let's say his punch was 25 newtons of force. to the power of 2.5 would be 3125 newtons. but if we instead measure in kilonewtons, that's 0.025 kilonewtons, and if we do that to the power of 2.5 we get 0.00009882 kilonewtons, or 0.09882 newtons

what i'm saying is exponents do dumb poo poo depending on your perspective, so having something apply an exponent to uh, force (??? is that what's being affected by a black flash? i guess so) really doesn't make much sense. and without a stated unit of measurement it's impossible to really know how strong a black flash is at all beyond "it's a big number stop thinking about it"

which is kinda lame tbh, though the author being self aware about it helps turn it around to funny

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 21, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i suspect the answer doesn't really go beyond "he is an anime protagonist" tbh, they haven't really hinted at there being anything more to it from what i can remember

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

jujutsu kaisen consistently has a really rad fight with really rad animation every episode, and the characters are fun enough and there is competent enough storytelling that the time between fights doesn't feel like a waste. i don't think there's anything particularly deep about jujutsu kaisen so much as it has a consistency in quality that's always at worst "ok enough." meanwhile almost all shounen has some part or aspect that you have to "suffer through" to get to the good stuff

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

nanami is pretty plainly the best character and i was really glad they didn't kill him after setting up a ton of death flags for him

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Movie was fine. First half felt like a fairly basic shounen setup but playing out in fast forward, such that no emotional beat or theme really got the kind of development that would have made them really land. The second half was a ton of really cool fights though so it's definitely worth seeing just for that.

Ended up being more annoyed by the requisite "here's characters from the show for 5 seconds look at them all do a cool move and then never get mentioned again" stuff than I thought I'd be

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's a long episode

Remember when yuji befriended an emo guy and then the gross Frankenstein curse mentored->killed him? It's like seeing a 3 episode arc like that all at once

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 20, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The movie would be a lot better if the lead and his dead girlfriend had any amount of their relationship shown aside from like a still image of them throwing water balloons at each other as toddlers. Or maybe if less of the emotional core of the movie hinged on the strength of that relationship.

It had really cool fights though and that's all it needs to be

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it introduces some stuff/have some character interactions that seem like they'll be important in this arc going forward, but ep1 didn't really have any of that knowledge be remotely necessary

it's mostly just contrasting how characters in the present(ish) treat each other vs how they used to talk to each other

the movie is, like, fine. the animation is sick as hell though and it's worth watching just for that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah theorizing is a good thing generally. If you're particularly worried you can put it in spoiler tags.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i loving loved that episode

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's a new director isn't it? i figured that was the reason

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao at telling a hot lady in a moment of moral distress that you think maybe hitler had the right idea and the hot lady going "yeah, you know I think so too! Anyways whatever choice you make here is going to define the rest of your life"

Really gotta feel for the guy being in an awful place and then being told pretty much the worst thing possible

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this was far and away, easily the best arc so far imo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah S1 I felt like had "perfectly ok" writing and superb animation, which it was very consistent about both as a strength and weakness (in the case of the writing)

This arc felt like it had great writing and superb animation so big step up imo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pretty sure he could make the surface uninhabitable with relative ease. there's messing with the poles, pretty sure he could figure out a way to set off several super volcanos, or just grab nukes from some world leaders

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the episode was good

jjk's comedy i find misses like 80% of the time but the beats in this episode were fairly good, and of course the fight was fun and i want the next episode

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm gonna be upset if he just jobs and dies

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it was a very fun fight. i'm sad that robot guy seems to be dead, i liked him

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

come on guys they didn't show a body i'm holding out hope

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Has mahito gotten his hands on a jujutsu sorcerer before? I remember in his s1 focus episodes there being some idle musing about how only some humans can survive the radical transfiguration, and wondering what a jujutsu sorcerer could be put through.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't care about any of that those fight sequences were loving sick

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

holy crap did you see that man's face this anime is fantastic

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

come on guys they didn't show a body i'm holding out hope

no one is talking about the other thing that happened

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think geto being a brain bodyjacker instead of actually geto is a less compelling story than what was going with geto/gojo prior to that reveal

However, outside of hidden inventory I have pretty much never felt like the writing of jjk is worth getting invested in, so I kind of prefer this because the reveal was an effective and cool moment which is what I come to jjk for

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i understood it to essentially be an escalation of warfare, more or less. gojo's existence is terrifying, but it also serves as a new upper-bound of power that everyone else is measured by. the curse spirits that are around have to wait, bide their time, and accumulate power until they can match gojo, because now there is a need to have that level of power that didn't exist before. gojo has sparked basically a curse arms race, so while there's not as many curses out and about and smaller fry like this guy are pretty stuck, there's also a lot of curses who have spent years preparing for the day that they have to meet a gojo-level threat. the analogy used was an athletic record being broken spurring more athletes to try to break the new record - those guys certainly aren't all faster on the track because of magic or w/e

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean, i recall in the first season that they didn't have enough sorcerers to cover all of the high grade curses coming out of the woodwork and so lower level sorcerers were needing to be matched with curses above their level. so if there is such an effect it seems to be disproportionate

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I can not believe we are sitting here making multiple posts discussing whether strong guys pulling hair is or is not a normal thing for people to like

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think objectively twitter is extremely horny for that scene and i suspect the fujo crowd is too

i would be surprised if the animation director wasn't at least aware of this potential outcome when making these decisions, because it seems very predictable and it probably is not their first rodeo with this manner of social media engagement

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the entire episode was just one long, incredible fight scene

i love this show

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love toji

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this show is incredible

one of the best animated episodes of anime i've ever seen god drat

mappa's just been killing it (and their animators) this whole loving season

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

S1 was an ok enough shounen with cool fights happening often enough to keep watching for them

S2 has a lot more drama in the writing and broadly much cooler fights. On both sides I far prefer it to S1 myself but it's certainly a different vibe.

It's really awful what's going on with the animators though. I really like this season and I don't think boycotting it is likely to be helpful, but also it's a pretty sickening thought to have in the back of my head every time I watch. If i was a better person I'd just stop watching at this point tbh, that staff member who just posted a drawing of an animator from shirobako hanging herself on twitter was really rough.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 17, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've perpetually felt like nobara is criminally underused and has only gotten a couple of actually cool fight sequences so i'm not super broken up over her death, so much as the entire character feels like she represents a weird gaping flaw in the writing of jjk. honestly would be interested to see what the comparative screentime between nanami and nobara was because i also felt like nanami was a more developed character than her and his death seems like a bigger deal to me personally.

s2 has still been way better than s1 though, which was bog standard shounen with some "clever twists" that didn't really amount to any meaningful going off the beaten path from typical shounen (i also found the comedy consistently eyerolling more than anything, glad there's generally been less of that). i really thought very little of s1's writing (i generally considered it "inoffensive enough to serve as connective tissue between fight sequences"), so the cool fights were holding up s1 hard and s2 has at least occasionally had interesting and sometimes compelling writing, on top of better fights. honestly in that regard as much as people have been down on the recent fight sequences i'd still consider just about all of them in the top 10% of shounen fights, show's been delivering for me.

this whole arc seems to basically be an extended red wedding for the story, which if nothing else has made for a bunch of fun/impactful moments. i'm interested to see how the status quo gets shaken up but gojo is the only character in the show i still have any amount of emotional investment in, and it doesn't look like he's actually going to escape, so :shrug:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm interested to see how the status quo gets shaken up but gojo is the only character in the show i still have any amount of emotional investment in, and it doesn't look like he's actually going to escape, so :shrug:

ok i'll be honest i had forgotten about todo

i love jjk this episode was fantastic

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Taima posted:

cmon, I rewatched it and the animation is, granted, pretty good in the last third but cmon son:

for being the inside of a contorted flesh train it doesn't seem too bad. "like something out of cruelty squad" feels a bit appropriate.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think this show is some peak punchman anime ngl, that was excellent

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Popo posted:

Meimei was right to flee and I hate that her character will be forever stained not because she was smart/conniving enough to flee (characters don't have to be moral to be good) but because Gege inflicted Uiui on us. You can almost sense MAPPA not being a fan either, making the bed roughly 40 feet wide.

Unrelated to that (mostly) but it's interesting, to me at least, seeing Shibuya being met with a notable amount of hate. I started JJK because people I trusted said it was the most hype arc and while I preferred Hidden Inventory reading the manga made Shibuya pretty great and the anime has pretty much delivered despite some obvious swings in production. I get it's a ton of action which might put some off who are wanting story but it's still odd seeing this negative reaction from a considerable number of people.

it's been bizarre for me because outside this thread i've seen mostly praise for the arc, and i'm still somewhat incredulous that anyone would prefer what s1 was doing to this

s1 was very mid if you remove the fights

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

Shibuya is honestly one of the best Shonen arcs of all time and easily the highest point of JJK so far.

yeah the fights have been interwoven and integrated with some fantastic emotional beats. as much as every episode is 80% fight scene there's been a ton of character work and drama too, it's very impressive when often one gets sacrificed for the other. genuinely one of the best shounen arcs i've seen, it's insane how good this is

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The weird bit with the two in bed felt like it could have been completely cut out, just skip to her saying she sold all her japanese assets, and absolutely nothing would have been lost

Just kind of a bizarre and uncomfortable thing to throw in there