Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Weekly Shounen Jump has changed a lot throughout the years, but do remember that JoJo ran on WSJ for 18 years and before JoJo, there was Fist of the North Star. And neither Hirohiko Araki nor Tetsuo Hara + Buronson were afraid of some good ol' gory violencing.

And right now, there's Chainsaw Man, a manga where about half the cast is immortal so they can be gruesomely murdered more than once, about half the cast is dead already, usually in horrible ways, and the remainder is Kobeni.

There've been a few dips in violence in Jump over the years due to public outcry, but we seem to be spiking right now, and Chainsaw Man is definitely high end even compared to Ken's fun time adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen's particular mix of comedy and horror was on full display this episode, and it ruled. It's a bit jarring to go from a restaurant full of people being burned alive to Itadori & Gojo's absolute delight of a training session, but that's all part of the appeal of this series. Eagerly anticipating next week's showdown.

It's interesting, because it didn't work so well for me, despite my love of Chainsaw Man. I thought the humor worked, and horror was alright (although it was hurt a bit by the lack of tension. There was no way that anyone was going to be allowed to leave alive once people started igniting.) but I feel like the mix is less organic than in Chainsaw Man. At least, so far.

In Chainsaw man, the humor and horror feel more of a piece. Horrible things happen, and sometimes they're so absurd you have to laugh, while other times they're so absurd reality as you know it breaks down and primal fear kicks in, and sometimes the absurdity is overwhelmed by the tragedy. Here, it feels like a less solid connection.

Like, Gojo's jokes when things are horrible come from him being used to horrible things happening and so absurdly overpowered nothing scares him. All to the good. But the goofy humor with the students when they thought Itadori was dead didn't mesh so well. There was too much reaction for it to feel like they just were too used to death to not give a drat any more, but too little to feel real.

For Chainsaw Man comparisons, it wasn't Himeno's half-assed memorial to the dead rookie when she was getting drunk off her rear end, but it wasn't her own death, either. (Or her memorial, which blended humor and feeling perfectly).

I know that comparing two different manga, even in the same magazine, can be rather unfair, but Chainsaw Man somehow feels totally self-assured jumping from humor to tragedy to all out action, while here there's a bit of a record scratch that can make the scenes shifting mode feel awkward.

But again, it's still early. Maybe it smooths out a bit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Excited to the most advanced curse slaying weapon of all in the preview, "a gun"

Hey, works in Chainsaw Man.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

like how you have to be an rear end in a top hat to have a Stand

Hey, Tonio's a nice guy who just wants to cook good food and help people get healthy. It's not his fault some people can't obey kitchen etiquette.

Edit: Going back to the overall theme here, it's interesting that it's another area Jujutsu shares with Chainsaw Man. (Well, there a point is made that surviving Devil Hunters are usually nutjobs, since 'normal' people die fast in that line of work, but it comes out to the same thing). They do have a feel like someone sketched out a broad pitch and separately gave it to two people to flesh it out to a full series, with one left with a pile of old "Shonen Jump" back issues for reference, and the other left with a bunch of grainy VHS bootlegs of Tarantino, 70s horror movies, and FLCL, all unlabeled.

Going back to this episode, it was a pretty nice fight, especially considering how minor it was in the plot. Also, comparing to the manga, having the film be something thematically connected to the plot was a nice touch. The manga just had "there's a movie" without showing it, leaving room for the show to do more in a fun way. Also, pretty nice looking fight considering how minor it is in the overall plot.

This is a really well done adaptation, basically.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 29, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

This episode is loving wild. It's crazy how consistent they have been with animation.

gently caress Mahito

I've seen much nicer embodiments of humanity's collective fear and loathing of itself, yes.

As for the rest of the episode, it's pretty impressive. We're eleven episodes in, and none of them have felt like "breaks".

That said, it does feel like there's not quite enough time for some of the relationships to carry all the narrative weight that's being put on them. Itadori talking about his friends with Junpei feels a little empty when we've barely seen him hanging out with his classmates. (Do they even know he's alive? I'm not quite sure.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Even as a manga reader it's stunning how Mahito is the loving worst to such an incredible degree. They nailed it.

The thing about Mahito is that Sakuna can be more of an rear end in a top hat, but you kind of have to respect his commitment to the craft of being a total rear end in a top hat.

Mahito, meanwhile, is just the worst.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is tall or has a big butt but maybe that's part of the joke???

Five foot nine. Tall for an American woman, very tall by Japanese standards. For reference, she's an inch taller than Yuuji.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Ya Mia ain't exactly the nicest person.

But at least she has the good taste to appreciate Tall Idol Takada.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fear of the night/darkness would also be high.

I still find it interesting how Chainsaw Man and Jujutsu had the same basic premise for the main antagonists. You don't get many overlapping fears between them, but there's at least one case I can think of where they both had the same fear for a reasonably prominent opponent.

(Also, the protagonist of Chainsaw Man works as a lumberjack part time at the start of the series. He also lost an eye, but I'm pretty sure that was unrelated.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I started watching this despite not wanting to get into a 400+ episode anime ever ever again

But man I like the characters and the style and all the Tokyo. That ending theme.

Also helps that the fights are extremely well done although I dunno if that's something they can keep up for hundreds of episodes

I mean, this is a seasonal anime, so it's not as big a worry. This is going to be run like MHA, not like Black Clover. Mappa's finishing these 12 episodes, then switching over to other shows.

Means the animation collapse isn't inevitable.

(Also, there's not even enough material for a hundred episodes yet, let alone hundreds. )

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 14, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lol at how Toudou figured out the buds feed off cursed energy.

The power of 530,000 IQ

Really, it was Tall Idol Takada-chan who figured it out first. Toudou will have to thank her later.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh of course. But the second domains are used it's pretty much over for 99% of sorcerers.

Oddly enough, useless Miwa isn't one of them. Unlike most sorcerers, she can make her own domain to counter the effects.

She'd still probably get her rear end kicked because, you know, Miwa, but hey. It's something.

(And even if her hero Gojo can't remember her name, he likes her well enough. Good for Miwa.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Can someone explain what's going on re: the curses looking alike? I'm pretty sure they tried to explain it in the episode but I can't follow sentences with that many unspecified articles.

They're basically both custom made from one of Sukuna's fingers, basically, instead of being "natural" curses. At least, if I caught it right.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I was thinking that was an option, but why did Sukuna destroy the first one? Didn't like a lesser version of himself running around?

He offered to team up with it to murder the protagonists, but then it tried to fight him and that meant it was getting ideas above its station, which was unforgivable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lotus Aura posted:

That fight looked cool, had the raddest music and was Kugisaki's best outing to date for good measure. Looking forward to s2 whenever it inevitably happens!

Probably soonish, given how much of a boost season 1 gave the manga, but Mappa has a couple other high priority projects that might delay it, especially since the movie will keep it in the public eye through a longer season break.

There's Chainsaw Man and Attack on Titan looming. Once we know more about how they'll be handled, it'll be easier to see what happens next for Jujutsu.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

MHA attracts a lot of discussion largely because it's flawed in ways that provoke bitter arguments. With Jujutsu Kaisen there often isn't much to say beyond "Wow, that was a good episode/chapter."

I don't think it's just the flaws that provoke argument, but the virtues.

JJK, at least as far as the anime's gone, is mostly just good, if that makes any sense. There's not much that encourages speculation, the main characters are likable and well done but they're within expected templates, and generally arcs proceed within expectations. It's solid shonen that nails its mark, but there's seldom too much to say. "I liked this fight". "This bit was funny." "Gojo was cool."

MHA has the first mover advantage to begin with, as it's a lot of people in the west's first Shonen manga they followed week to week. (JJK having a lengthy period when you couldn't read the early chapters on Viz didn't help either.) But it also had more obvious breaks from the standard even at the jump. Deku being a nerdy nervous wreck was a massive change from the expected baseline Shonen Jump lead. It was enough to provoke discussion, and then when the manga managed to thread the needle on some really risky moves (like Endeavor's arc) it inspired more talk. Sure, some of the talk was about things that suck (like Mineta) but even the negative discussion was sometimes about things that were working that maybe hadn't initially (like Bakugo).

It's not a question of better or worse, or even a question of taste. It's a question of approach. Some kinds of writing just provoke more discussion than others.

Anyway, trying to start a war here is stupid, since Hori and Gege are pals. They've done fanart together, praised Chainsaw Man together, and even watched Evangelion together. Liking one manga and disliking the other is fine, but if you're angry people like MHA (or JJK) then you're getting angry at the writer for a manga you claim to like.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 19, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I remember someone in this thread saying it's basically a critical hit in a RPG and that probably would have been a sufficient enough explanation that offers no confusion.

You could do that, but not overexplaining powers is hardly Gege's style.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Nobara really captures the energy of having a very hot, platonic female friend or coworker who is too mean and annoying for you to find sexy, and that’s not a character archetype I see in anime a lot, typically they go for the lower hanging fruit. As a bisexual I think the big sweaty hunky dudes taking up such a huge chunk of the show is great! My friends got me to start watching JoJo and I didn’t realize how much I wanted more beefcake and less T&A. My best friend and I basically only refer to each other as “Bruzzah” now.

"Too annoying to find sexy" is basically Aqua's main social niche in Konosuba, if you haven't seen that. It's actually part of the core of the dynamic between her and the protagonist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Nobara is Queen Bitch of Crazy Town and I say that only in the most reverential and deferential of tones.

I'm pretty sure the reigning monarchy of Crazy Town comes from Chainsaw Man.

Nobara is very respectable levels of batshit, but her limited use of strategic cannibalism makes it difficult to give her the overall title.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Movie made about $17 million in the US box office over the weekend which is fairly respectable for an anime movie.

Mild way of putting it.

There are only six anime movies that made more than that in total in the United States. Only three opened bigger than that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Enjoyed the movie more than I expected. It still felt like it was speedrunning the big emotional beats a bit, but that worked better for a movie than a multi-chapter manga, and the main one landed great.

My Japanese is still pretty limited, but I could at least pick up on Yuta switching from "daisuke" to "ai" at the end, so that was a perk for seeing the subtitled version.

On the other end of things, Yuta being treated as kind of out of shape felt weird with how toned his arms were when he was carrying everyone out. Sure, he wasn't like Itadori or Maki, but the times we saw his arms suggested he worked out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess all those references to a character I’ve never met and didn’t seem germane to the plot of the show I was watching just flew over my head. Also my friend showed me a tweet from the production company put out explaining that Yuta is a different character than Fushigoro because apparently I am not the only person who thought the movie was about him, a lot of fans who only know the show were “who the gently caress is this guy?”

Yeah, for the manga we got Zero first, so the references to Yuta were "Oh, the guy from the earlier manga with Maki and Panda. Neat.", while for anime onlies, he'd be much easier to miss.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schubalts posted:

The movie is fine to watch at any point, it's a prequel. It gives context to events that have been mentioned, and gives background on Okkotsu who was previously (before the extra chapters that the movie is about were released) only mentioned and never shown.

On the manga side, I read those chapters first (because Viz has them listed first) and it didn't feel out of place.

That's because it was written first. Part 0 was its own short series in another magazine that was successful enough for Jump proper to run a full ongoing of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

This week's episode was them very clearly hitting a wall because aside from a couple of cuts it was pretty rough all around

Yeah. The episode with framerate issues being the one that talks about how many FPS you get in animation is at least a little ironic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

Can't say I've seen a shonen where the protagonist unwillingly massacres countless innocents before:stare:

To be fair, we had one where the protagonist willingly did that a bit over a week ago, if that counts.

Same studio, too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lamebot posted:

One thing I learned about the production is that in order to hold on to the time slot JJK airs in MAPPA has to have a something to air every week, labor and time constraints be damned.

That's for every anime. It's why so many shows taking breaks have recap episodes or talk show segments or whatever. Worse, if a show doesn't finish in its designated slots, then the studio has to negotiate a whole new setup, often months later, because the next weeks are already bought out.

It's why 86's finale was delayed by months, and why Sunrise had to hire out so many studios and freelancers to finish Witch from Mercury close to on time, for some other recent delays. (Season 1 was able to get away with more delays since they had the slot booked for the next three months for movie recuts. Gave them more flexibility.)

There have been occasional issues forever, and overwork is an infamous part of the industry's heritage, but it seems like more and more high profile projects are hitting delays and disasters in the last couple years. Projects like Gridman that wind up in the can with over a month to spare are the exception, not the rule.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is Mikasa erasure.

Also Makima ignorance.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

The only shonen battle manga female character that doesn't get chumped is Natsume's grandmother.

What definition of "chumped" are we using? Because off the top of my head, Mikasa in Attack on Titan is one of the toughest people in the setting from start to end, and Chainsaw Man doesn't chump the female cast any more than the male cast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I get that everyone wants to see hype fights, but without the breathers there's no reason to care about the people who are fighting. I don't watch enough shounen to be able to point to one that remembers this, but surely they must exist.

Chainsaw Man. It's pretty good about having cooldown arcs after it does something horrible to its cast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AoT didn't go in for any shock deaths in its last act. Even the big shocking moment got a lot of payoff after to emphasize how the character's friends and the killer were impacted by the death. It was brutal and gory, but it all had clear purpose that a lot of Shibuya deaths lacked, at least so far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'll also toss in that, while the male lead is the strongest fighter, the main might-be-romantic relationship in Zero is between a meek, bashful boy who uses fancy magic abilities with the Power of Love, and a brash, aggressive girl who's fueled by spite against her family and whose combat style is all about getting in close and beating the poo poo out of everyone with superstrength. That's a kind of a fun twist on the expected standards that's all the better because it's not called out.

As for tonal differences, season 1 did have Jujutsu Stroll to show the characters just hanging out being idiots between the grim parts. Lacking it really emphasized the more monotonous battles of Shibuya.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

You know, from a writing standpoint where you want to "break down" the MC against a horrible villain, I feel it makes perfect sense to kill a friend (Junpei), a mentor (Nanami) and one of their core team (Nobara). All by the same guy.

Would it have been better if Nobara had been a man from the start? Or if MeiMei and Nanami swapped characters? I feel like that'd make people as upset.

Except that's a card that you can only play once. Once the "core team" is vulnerable, you've got a lot more cynical caution from viewers, so the villain who does the takedown gets less hype every time you try it later.

And when Mahito's gone at the end of the arc, that's firing off a pretty big gun on a relatively small conflict.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

"Cynical caution from the viewer" does not appear to remotely be what happened after junpei died

I highlighted the section I did for a reason.

Friends of the leads are always at risk, so whatever fear for them they inspire can be repeated. But the invulnerability of the "leads" is something that only breaks once. Killing one of the main characters (or "killing" for long enough to make the viewer believe it) puts everybody in play, which means one of the main heroes dying isn't as shocking any more. Thus the one time play thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tunicate posted:

"Hey protagonist i am gonna kill buncha people just to piss u off" is one of the most cliche shonen villain things imaginable

Yep. I mean, happens all the time in Dragon Ball.

Admittedly, Dragon Ball undercuts itself a bit with frequent resurrections to square the circle of "Death builds excitement" and "Having good characters around builds reader investment", but this sort of thing is one of the classic ways for a villain to get heat.