Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I assume there was some sort of condition in their binding vow that prevented him from doing so until the contract was completed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

That was loving stupid.

Fridging Nobara is basically a GoT level let's shock them over actually having likeable characters do things decision.

Also of course it was the girl.

Because of course.

Not to mention that she just, lets the villain who kills souls by touching them touch her with no fight after he has to do like a full 100 meter dash to get to her.

I was pretty down on the season in general for essentially being tonnes of action setpieces in a row with little character as connective tissue but I think this is where I'm out.

I don’t know if I’d called it fridging if every character got dismantled this arc without accomplishing anything other than to die and for it to be really painful or get beaten to a bloody pulp by creatures so far beyond them they might as well be insects

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Taima posted:

Hmm that's fair. I'm finding it kind of hard to stay in the game on these episodes, the animation quality is... like I'm not mad I'm just disappointed, haha

there's a shot at 19:50 that is hilariously bad, like something straight out of Cruelty Squad.

I really wish they had just forfeited the tv spots and went back to finish the eps :(

I don’t mean to be rude, but if you think the animation quality in this episode was bad at all, I think you need your eyes checked.

It was pretty fantastic throughout the entire thing.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Taima posted:

cmon, I rewatched it and the animation is, granted, pretty good in the last third but cmon son:

This is fine?

Again , not sure what the issue is

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Maybe it's just an understood fact in the setting, but between Sukuna and Bodysnatcher, it seems like evil sorcerers are actually a million, zillion times more dangerous than even the most dangerous cursed spirits? Which puts Geto(true)'s whole philosophy in a pretty comical light

Yes, Gojo says he doesn’t like other sorcerers for a reason. To be one you have to be a fundamentally broken person, it doesn’t leave room for people you would get along well with. The most dangerous ones seems to be people who are just utterly mentally broken and given into their impulses

Asuron fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 22, 2023

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
It’s been a weird discourse around season 2.

Shibuya was seen as one of the best arcs in shonen in the manga and the anime for its part has only elevated it. But then I see complaints about killing off characters from anime only people and stuff about there being nonstop fights ( which season 1 was as well, just back to back fights) and it’s a very different reaction to the same story being told.

I’m just really confused at the conversation around it all. Maybe it’s just certain circles throwing up the issues and the complaints are insulated . I know amongst the general people who don’t engage in online discourse, they’re all loving it

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

JJK is significantly worse about it than most shonen anime imo.

I'm sorry have you actually watched most shonen. Absolutely not, that's a horrendous take and completely wrong

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I've seen enough shonen to have an educated take and no, I don't think I'm wrong about this.

I'm sorry, but when you have poo poo like this

Fabricated posted:

Erza gets to be a badass who wins like, a million fights over the series and is really cool. The exchange for this is her being naked at the end of almost every fight and eventually spending an entire volume chained to a wall naked being essentially raped by a tentacle monster

and that type of poo poo is common in most shonen if you've watched any, I don't know how you can legitimately stand by stating you think JJK is one of the worst in how it handles women. It doesn't even crack the top 20.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Well, JJK just blew open its female lead's skull, to start with.

Are you really saying that having a lead character getting taken out for narrative and emotional beats ( however good or bad you view that decision ), is worse than female ( usually underage) characters being sexually assaulted constantly and played off a gag joke?

I just want to understand the argument here, because that's crazy to me if that's what you're saying.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

pork never goes bad posted:

Ahhh gently caress so much this. But I do wanna keep fucken zooming in on the sexism for another sec because I do not think the folks enjoying this arc are fairly engaging with it.

I'm curious if any of the folks whose opinion of this season are positive can also acknowledge how it's sexist as well? Like, ninjewtsu, you threw down a gauntlet about what (exactly) was promising about the writing in s1 and then didn't engage with any of the replies that actually, well, replied to you. What's up with that?

I wanna be clear - I don't think the show is irredeemable or that if you like it there's something bad or wrong about you. It's well within the window of things that people can enjoy despite problems with them. I, personally, like plenty of problematic poo poo and JJK is definitely the sort of thing you can like despite its problems. I do think a lot of fans here are really steadfastly unwilling to admit criticisms or to honestly engage with the fact that the show sucks in some ways that a lot of anime sucks and that that's a fucken problem.

You've just said that anyone who disagrees that the wring sexist is not engaging with the material honestly and are specifically calling out one poster, who in fact did not really get thought out replies on the subject other than " i really don't like Nobara being taken out".

What more is there to say when you come in swinging like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes, several times.

However, off the top of my head we only ever see the students attending lessons for Yuta's "introduce yourself to class" segment in JJK0, and in silent montages.

This seems in line with most battle school-themed serials I've seen, that will have one maybe two scenes total with a teacher providing lessons in the classroom throughout their entire run. I peg it on Japan's obsession with highschool being a ball and chain for authors not actually interested in school settings (or depicting the boring parts of thereof at least).

This is accurate for JJK I believe , Gege was never going to add in the school setting, it was a mandate from his editors.