Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

OnimaruXLR posted:

What a gorgeous first episode

How is the batting average for shows that CR has a seat on the production committee for? I remember complaints about Tower of God, but God of High School and this both looked really really good. In/Spectre was okay, for a talking heads show, I guess.

basically I'm curious about how it hashes on average VS stuff Netflix has a similar role for

Tower of God kicked rear end who complained about it??

the manga for this is solid so I can't wait to get around to watching episode 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Its so loving good wtf

The OP song is pretty generic so I'm gonna end up skipping it but Im watching this ED every time.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
COVID closed down the japanese owned conveyor place near my house :argh: :argh: :argh: It was better than all the non-japanese owned regular sushi shops around here!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Starsnostars posted:

The new OP and ED are not as good as the ones they replaced.

n-new...ED?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
"Won the middle school nationals with Itadori. Itadori denies this." killer

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Megumi's fight this episode was also basically the manga chapter to a T, but sickly animated. This studio is killing it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Maera Sior posted:

I was thinking that was an option, but why did Sukuna destroy the first one? Didn't like a lesser version of himself running around?

Cuz he wants to get all his fingers back so he can rule the world and that curse ate his finger

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is there even enough manga for a s2 at this point

This finished about half way through the current manga and they could probably build 24 episodes on the arcs that came after. There is a major flashback and a big arc after this. And as mentioned the manga is moving into a tournament type arc.

This fight shows why Nobara kicks hella rear end and the thing about jujutsu sorcerers needing to be insane deffo applies to Nobara.

BTW here is a great chapter cover for the one where Nobara reveals her big technique

I think this is maybe one of the only shounen animes where every fight was a well animated banger? Was there anything that was lackluster? Way too loving stylish and awesome.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Only problem with it was no after credits short.

I counted nobara punching itadori for dropping her shopping as the after credits :colbert:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Chaotic Flame posted:

For the manga can I jump in where season 1 ends or are there things they left out that are important for later reading?

It's been a really straightforward adaptation you can jump in without any trouble.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Saw the movie in a relatively crowded Saturday afternoon showing. It was a very competent anime movie, but probably makes more sense as an anime arc with slightly higher budget.

Felt like a lot of the animation budget went into animating getos stupid face

Overall I liked it more than either of the my hero academia movies I've seen but less than Mugen train or a real anime movie (like not based on a series)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

My buddy says that his special grade curse isn’t actually gone though? The movie makes it pretty clear, at least to me, that Rika is free to transcend tho, and Yuta just actually has magic powers so he can keep training at the school right?

also lol at this meme

Spoiler for the manga re: Rika Rika the lil girl went to the afterlife, but Yuta being the one who actually cursed her, is able to manifest the Rika CURSE after she ie gone.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
limit less and infinity don't affect cuties

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Goddamn the JJK anime fucken rules. Crazy how much sasuga animation mappa pumps into it too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Having a continuation after the credits is not unique to marvel or a recent phenomenon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

RillAkBea posted:

The animation was a little rough this episode, but I guess they're saving all the budget for Shibuya now.

The first 4 episodes were like near movie quality so anything less would be a step down but the animation didnt really bother me that much and there was plenty of nice flourishes and bespoke animation in the episode! Thought it was pretty good.

Edit: Also I gotta say I am really loving the directorial decisions made in JJK and Chainsaw Man. Mappa is doing great stuff with framing, shot choice, how they flesh out these scenes. Cinematic.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 4, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

ninjewtsu posted:

it's a new director isn't it? i figured that was the reason

A lot of those are just straight from the manga

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Man this is gonna hit so loving hard that looks like they are going all out animation wise.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

drat thats so loving sick

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Isn't the whole thing He'd have to have laid puppets out in advance but then once Geto dropped the veil he wouldn't be able to control them? And he can't really do anything extra in advance because he has a binding contract to not betray them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
JJK probably would have benefited from re-airing the movie as a short preview arc like Demon Slayer did, but yea in the modern age of canon movies being made for specific arcs you gotta watch that poo poo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Maera Sior posted:

So it seems like the idea is that Gojo was so overpowered that both sorcerers and curses born afterwards were leveled up, or maybe their abilities were just uncapped. If so, why is there such a long gap in special grade sorcerers from Gojo and Geto to Yuta?

I dont think thats quite what its saying just that Gojo was such a leap in power that everyone left in the dust had to basically hide, the only ones who could operate openly had to be able to contend with Gojo in some fashion or be willing to die. So these losers were hiding in the shadows because they'd get annihilated by Gojo in a split second. Re-reading the manga chapter for this, they do say that curses began to get stronger and the balance of power was altered, but that they themselves lost their freedom. Did the disaster curses come after Gojo? He still clowned them tho.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 6, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i wanna know if she made a binding vow to have a hairdo that stupid

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
If a big strong man grabbed me by my pony tail and pulled me closer to him I would simply suppress my boner and act calmly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Char posted:

that first person convergence

A number of great, novel cinema choices in this episode that really elevate it above your bog standard anime. Lots of interesting perspectives, shots, first person moments.

Fantastic! Took what is definitely one of the top fights in the entire series and somehow made it better.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Anyone know the animation principle behind the screen getting a dark tint over it in some action sequences? Is it like "well this animation is kinda good but may look rough lets hide it a bit"?

This episode was loving brutal (in terms of plot happenings)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
thanks, i hate it!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The escape hares doing CQC on Toji lol

This episode was just scene after scene of the most badass stuff put to animation

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Oh drat this episode does that insanely hardcore anime move of playing the OP at the end of the episode for MAXIMUM DAMAGE

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I still think this episode ruled, but you can see how Icarus it was with a lot of the really cool directorial choices not quite being fulfilled on the animation side. All the cool 1st person cuts, the magnitude of the destruction, the insanely kinetic nature of the fight, trying to do justice to Sakuna's capabilities. Some of it lands well, some of it is like "nice try guys".

I'd love to see this episode fully realized.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i hate mahito with my life

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
JJK is interesting because when its peak, its really peak, but I do think Gege lost his way a bit especially with turning Geto from Gojo's long lost friend into a weird brain parasite of an ancient sorcerer no one really cares about. There are 2 competing "series" in JJK and neither gets fully served. I personally really loved the very standard, but well executed, protagonist trio stuff with Nobara, Megumi, and Yuji. Even the initial flashback story with Gojo and geto works in that mood, and its really good to boot. Then there is all this background stuff about the century and millenia old sorcerers carrying out plots across the vastness of time which starts encroaching on the story more and more. We already get it in Shibuya with Geto being revealed as a brain guy, which takes some of the wind out of the sails of the plot, and Sukuna's origin. I'd love a story about guys who are hosed up sociopath sorcerers re-incarnating, turning themselves into cursed objects, body hopping etc to affect the world over a huge time scale, but maybe not in my show about high school kids punching ghosts :shobon:

Still though, if you're not enjoying Shibuya I don't think the next arc is gonna do you any better. This is one of the payoffs for Yuji harboring Sukuna all this time and a resolution for the curses like Jogo and Hanami who have been our lurking antagonists for S1/S2.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Booing and throwing trash at the screen

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

Turn your monitor on.

I turned it on and saw the author make an incredibly stupid story choice.

Nobara cool, clever, tenacious, interesting power set with the ability to expand far beyond what we've even seen, spends an entire fight not getting touched then lets Mahito touch her without reacting ok gege

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 30, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

She got touched several times.

She avoided the actual CT activating type of touch, she got hit incidentally by claws - its stupid that she stood there and let mahito full on touch her face when she was previously super spry and active in the fight. I think this is poor direction by Mappa for this sequence. The hallway is waaaay shorter in the manga, it should have happened quicker, blah blah blah I absolutely hate this plot point even in the manga. The reason given in the manga is that she had let her guard down due to fighting the clone but she knew there was a real mahito and he was likely heading towards it!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 1, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Schubalts posted:

People keep saying that, but the gender ratio for deaths and rear end kickings is drat near equal. Was it fridging when Junpei was killed in front of Yuji? Was it fridging when Nanami got killed in front of Yuji?

Nobara was one of the primary characters in the first half of the series. It feels different when your main focus trio has 1 girl and they get eliminated. Nanami and Junpei are not in the same bucket. They're supporting characters. Junpei exists across a stretch of like 9 chapters in the manga. Nanami is a grizzled mentor. JJK has a lot of characters because its a battle manga, but there is still a focus on a certain set of characters. Nobara was part of that focus.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 1, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Conspiratiorist posted:

IDK Nobara always felt kind of like a side character to me. In fact, this happened so long ago in the manga that I had legitimately forgotten she existed until she showed up for the start of this arc.

She shows up in chapter 3 and is there for everything. Its more egregious in the anime because the finale of last season is literally her and Yuji doing a sick super power combo. Shibuya has a major shift in focus away from the main characters, and Nobara in particular gets sidelined more, but she is represented in a lot of the story up to this point.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nanami has as much screen time and connection to the cast/emotional baggage as she does easily.

Just absolutely untrue. Not factual information. Nanami teams up with Yuji vs Mahito, cameos in Hidden Inventory, and then comes back in Shibuya. Nobara is there for training, detention center, kyoto goodwill, the death painting arc, and then shibuya.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

I'm confused about why Mahito says black flashes don't hurt his soul at the end. I thought that was the whole point of them?

Black Flash just amplifies your power and puts you in the zone, its not the nature of black flash that would allow them to target mahito's soul but how they use it. Mahito in the manga says: "It doesn't matter how strong your attack is. Using black flash has no effect if you can't hit my soul." The wording is slightly different implies more invulnerability in the subsplease translation of the anime than what the essence of the statement is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Feel like they forgot a cel shading filter there