Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Any thoughts on when to show this week's movie? I couldn't help but notice we had fewer people this last week, but that could be for many reasons.

Open to suggestions on titles and times! Happy October, friends.
The time from last Saturday was good for me! I just couldn't join in due to a prior commitment. But I'll be back this coming Saturday, assuming nothing goes wrong!
By the way, I watched The Boys From Brazil on my own time with my brother, and I have to say we really loved/hated it. Excellent choice!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

White Zombie was great!

BFM has been killing it as a horror show host. Great job on all the movie selections so far!

blaise rascal

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I missed it too! :skeltal:
what if we just put the movie on a second time? I don't know how to do that but maybe someone else does

blaise rascal

Doctor Dogballs posted:

i'd rather just fix my own dumbness and be there to crack wise with all my byob friends :shobon:
well I mean, if we put it on again, then maybe you and luvcow could watch it? and maybe others?

blaise rascal

Guys BFM made these videos himself! They are amazing and everyone should watch them!

blaise rascal

Considering the current state of the USA, can next week be circus night?

We could do this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5eUJNXrMw

plus whatever other circus-themed vídeos people wanted to watch

blaise rascal

Actually, can I change my vote to the original reefer madness? I've never seen it but I've heard it's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhQlcMHhF3w

blaise rascal

BFM you are the master movie night host. Way better than Sven Ghoulie! And for you to have hosted these movie nights voluntarily for so long is humbling. If you ever need anything, byob is here for you!

blaise rascal

sita sings the blues is an absolute joy to watch. i'll try to join in, though sometimes i read to my nephew over zoom at that time

blaise rascal

I remember watching this on nite crew years ago. It's called "Hi-Tops" and it's a musical chock full of evangelical batshittery. Would be a fine submission for bad movie night

e: better quality version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHLyVqjGVYw

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 5, 2021

blaise rascal

Also, maybe notorious for good movie night sometime? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gEpBOj0dg

blaise rascal

Leraika posted:

I am very interested in sita sings the blues; it's something I've been meaning to watch for a while now thank you
unfortunately we already watched it as a group just last weekend!

but who knows, maybe bfm will choose to play it again someday. and in the meantime, the whole movie is available for free on YouTube

blaise rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgYywrYK7c
Apparently the vhs release of the princess and the goblin included this video instructing lost children to call a hotline where they could talk to Ireny, Kurty, and Ireny.

blaise rascal

well put mr. youtube commenter

Whoa. I get the feeling the makers of this film really REALLY wanted it to be a success with kids, and they put every possible effort into that goal, except, you know, making a better film.

:agreed:

blaise rascal

Hey friends, I could use some suggestions. Tomorrow (the 16th) is another good animated feature night, and I'm having a hard time, specifically with finding films to show by diverse directors. The field of movie directors in general is painfully white and male, but animated movies are even worse since they're more expensive, take longer, tend not to do well with awards and are a bigger box office risk (and yes I know these are intensely stupid reasons to have a near-monoculture for this medium, but we all know that's no barrier to it being the gross truth: producers just trust white men the most with their money :( ). So, I'm looking for a movie that is:

1-Feature length (1-3 hours)
2-Viewable on youtube in 1 part
3-Animated
4-Actually good
5-Directed by anybody other than a Caucasian dude

At present the only options I've found that check all those boxes are all Indian films, which is fine, but since we already did Sita Sings the Blues it'd be nice to not just keep hammering Hindu cosmology, which is what a LOT of the Indian animated films I'm seeing are. Thoughts?
it's anime, and it's extremely NOT a happy movie, but grave of the fireflies is on youtube

personally, i'd enjoy watching an Indian-made movie about Hindu cosmology! i don't think it would overlap too much with sita sings the blues. SSTB is pretty obviously made from the viewpoint of a western director, so an Indian-made film might be a neat contrast

I'd also be fine taking a break from animated movies for a week, if we want to pursue good options in other genres

blaise rascal

Leraika posted:

Thank you for these arts.

blaise rascal

that second unico movie was terrifying (in a good way (but surprisingly so))

blaise rascal

Hello all! Is there any interest in having an "Argentine Tango" themed movie night?

The feature could be El Dia Que Me Quieras: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A5ScVktThc

This is a 1935 American-Argentinean musical distributed by Paramount. The plot is kind of a generic screwball comedy, but the music by Carlos Gardel is phenomenal. (In addition to composing the score, Gardel acts as the main character in the film.)

I can pick fun tango-themed shorts to go before and after the movie! And maybe I'd record a short "bat masterson" style vid to explain what is happening for those who may not know much about tango or Argentina!

I realize this is a bit different from the typical offerings, so it's up to you all

blaise rascal

Heather Papps posted:

i have a feeling the answer is going to be a resounding chorus of yes's. is there a wednesday or saturday this month that is ideal?
Any time this month works! Hmm, maybe a Wednesday would work better for Leraika?

Maybe my plan will be to have four parts:
1. A half hour or so of some of my favorite tango music, for people to trickle in
2. The feature film
3. My short video where I discuss the film and explain a bit about tango
4. A few short films that are thematically relevant

Should I factor in time for a short like Dr. Satan?

Leraika posted:

I love foreign films and screwball comedies so if there's a Wednesday you can run that (I'm much more likely to show up Wednesday than Saturday) I'd be down.
Unfortunately, I feel like this movie is only kind of foreign, and only kind of comedic. But I do think that the music makes up for it!

Bright Bart posted:

Argentina fascinates me so much! It's not just a microcosm of the world but a world unto itself.
Yes, I think this is a good way of describing Argentina. I mean, I know a decent amount about tango, but even still, I feel like I have hardly begun to understand Argentina. During Trashed Crew Movie Night, everyone was gushing about Borges, and I admit to having never read anything by him. There is so much to Argentina, it's mind-boggling!

blaise rascal

Heather Papps posted:

this sounds excellent! dr satan finished last saturday, and my thoughts were watching a complete serial on nights without suggestions and the nights with suggestions letting folk curate the whole evening, or just having everyone plug in short vids.

i would tentatively say wednesday the 14th? if that works for you it's yours, (also any other wednesday, or even saturday but i want as many people as possible to be able to attend)
i believe the 14th will work out great! i'll plan on it.

also, just gonna crosspost this from the welcome hello and chat thread:

Escape From Noise posted:

I think about this excerpt from the Wikipedia page on Thomas Kinkade a lot...

Thomas Kinkade Wikipedia Page posted:

A self-produced movie about Kinkade, Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage, was released on DVD in late November 2008. The semi-autobiographical story looks at the motivation and inspiration behind his most popular painting, The Christmas Cottage. Jared Padalecki plays Kinkade and Marcia Gay Harden plays his mother. Peter O'Toole plays young Kinkade's mentor, who tells him, "Paint the light, Thomas! Paint the light!."
I just found it on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZbTL_QIOhI
would a movie this foul be too bad even for c&d movie night???

blaise rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZh7nwEUOeg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6RZg_AqaY
the soviet lord of the rings, recorded in 1991 and recently unearthed, seems interesting

blaise rascal

Heather Papps posted:

thanks everyone for stopping by! manhunt on mystery island is as silly as i hoped, (i skipped thru the first ep and when i say captain mephisto forcing scientists to fly a remote control plane i had a feeling it was gonna be good!).

we watched a very cool animated music video which led to the idea that for the last movie night this month, (wednesday the 28th), we should have an evening of all music videos. post 'em here, or in the discord, and we'll put together a list of about 1.5 hours of good music videos to watch together!
I think that music video night sounds like a lot of fun! The only problem with music videos is that different people can have wildly different tastes in music, so it might be tough to find music vids that everyone likes. But for a once-in-a-while thing, it's a great idea. (I guess I shouldn't be critical, since I was the one who requested a music video last night, haha.)

blaise rascal

Anyway, I'm super excited for TANGO MOVIE NIGHT on the 14th, film starting at 7PM sharp!

Full playlist:
MAIN FEATURE -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A5ScVktThc
MY LITTLE VIDEO TALKING ABOUT TANGO -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvUCn2YicEI
TANGO-THEMED SHORT -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E82nc_sU85M
TANGO-THEMED SHORT -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6JYeEcxnUU

If we need content for before the feature film while people are trickling in, I could put together a playlist of some of my favorite tango songs. A question: is it easy for me to queue up an entire playlist in psp-tv? If it's a hassle, then we could just do a video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwZrVD1P4RA

blaise rascal

The feature starts in 35 minutes! I’m excited. Thanks so much to HP for this opportunity! See you all soon!

blaise rascal

Heather Papps posted:

what a great night! thank you so much blaise for your tango wisdom. the movie gave me goosebumps a few times and that final short was a cheffs kiss perfect!

so tomorrow i'm heading away from home for anywhere from a week to until the rest of the month, (i'm not sure, honestly).
so glad you let me share something I love (tango) for an evening! I didn't remember the film being that sad, haha. anyway, thanks so much to HP and to everyone who stopped by!

HP, wherever you are headed the coming weeks, I wish you luck and safety. you have been a great host these past several weeks!

and welcome back BFM! if you need anything, we're here to help with your movie night needs!

blaise rascal

hey is there no movie planned for tonight? if we want, I could put on notorious in 30 minutes!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gEpBOj0dg

blaise rascal

yeah there are just a few of us. we're watching cartoons! anything goes tonight

blaise rascal

I don't want to turn this into a massive argument, but I do want to just say, that I agree with luvcow.

blaise rascal

I use OBS, and we've talked about ways to turn that into stream-anything nights, but it's worth mentioning this approach might violate both these forums rules and Discord's terms of use. How much that matters we have yet to sit down and really discuss as a group.

If a mod wants to correct me that it's okay to link to :filez: here essentially, I'm all ears, but I'm somehow doubting it.

Good luck!
I think it would be fun to route obs through cytube, without trying to do anything illegal, for a few use cases. One example: I would enjoy an evening where I share my desktop and explain how I make video games in the godot engine, while taking requests from the audience. I mean, I can do that already through discord, but if I could route that through cytube, then people wouldn't need to make a discord account to participate.

blaise rascal

That's neat but it's pretty far afield from a movie night. Have you considered just starting a Twitch channel, I think that's a more direct path to what you're describing but maybe not.
Yeah twitch could work, and I do have an inactive twitch channel I could revive. The difference in my mind, is that twitch is often just "everyone looks over my shoulder while I do work," while I envision my movie night contribution being more like a "video introduction to my game-making." which is almost more like a ted talk or something?

Anyway, it was just a thought, and I could totally see that people would find such an idea boring or simply inappropriate for movie night.

blaise rascal

I do think it's a neat idea just maybe not for this venue- but hey, please say otherwise if you disagree, anybody! My personal priority with movie nights is to watch stories, that's why I can get a little uppity when we watch stuff that's like, super experimental or "trippy" or whatever but there's not much story involved. It's just a pet peeve, I'm personally obsessed with storytelling, that's my bag. If you guys want to watch software tutorials or VFX trailers or whatever, please don't let my curmudgeonly old tastes stop you.
I guess to each their own... Personally, I would ADORE an evening where you discussed puppetry, or film making, or whatever.

blaise rascal

I just think people demonstrating their passions is cool

blaise rascal

maybe the tiebreaker, would just be the fact that an obs setup would require extra technical effort. not sure if it would be worth the trouble for a one-off event.

and honestly, part of me doesn't want to mess with the current formula. HP & BFM have made byob movie night something special, and i trust their judgment.

but perhaps a "gamedev ted talk" could exist separately on discord!

blaise rascal

It was a great movie, with absolutely no homoeroticism whatsoever.

blaise rascal

Seriously, though, it was a lot of fun! I’m a fan of this month’s theme.

blaise rascal

fun movie night, all.

i think i said the villain's hair reminded me of dusty rhodes, but i meant to say dusty springfield

blaise rascal

Just wanna say, that last night I showed “The Tale of the Fox” to my mom, who is a French culture nerd, and we had a great time watching it together! I would not have heard about that film if not for this thread, so thanks!

(Link in case you missed it months ago)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=juTbbcZQIR0

blaise rascal

Hey 'all, sorry about the radio silence, I've been really busy. Tonight we're gonna watch The Vampire from 1957:
TY for hosting. Was a fun night.

If you're ever too busy to host, it's totally fine - whoever's present will surely pick out a movie.

blaise rascal

holy poo poo, amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

New award category suggestions:
Worst Movie
Best Movie