Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

my apologies hp and thanks! because bfm announced it I assumed it was his choice, something something assume rear end etc.

i'm pretty upset

UP for SETting up for movie nite!

also the film last nite was somehow better than i thought it was going to be? part of me always thought if it was so good it'd have been finished but clearly that is the wisdom of a fool.

just a beautiful and very funny film.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Wednesday the 26th, 4pm PST 7pm EST for the penultimate night of Animation month, we're watchin' us some Gumby!

It's the 1995 box office flop Gumby: The Movie! Plus lots of Gumby shorts, be there! https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 28, 2022

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Movie night yesterday was great! I had not taken part before, so I don't know if other previous picks have been this good, but Thief and Cobbler was amazing with its mix of trippy visuals, historical value of all sorts of crazy animation techniques, and amusing kleptomaniac shenanigans that guided most of the plot. Thief will remain the hero we all deserve in my heart.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Heather Papps

hello friend

tonite!

to cap off another animation month we're going to watch "Nezha Conquers the Dragon King"

this 1979 chinese animated film is an adaptation of the investiture of the gods, and given it's age and nation of origin i think it'll be a pretty fascinating piece of work.

join us! we'll be starting shorts at the usual time with a very neat rec from leraika.

see you there!

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Nezha's story is always very fun; I'll have to make sure I'm here on time for it!

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

I've got just three words for you... we're taking over! The yobbiest wrestling is coming to you every(?) Monday evening from 7-9pm ET (ish) right here on cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies.

This Monday, we will feature the first five episodes of Wrestling Society X! Come watch the fast-paced, car-crash, 20-minute wrestling show that MTV thought would be a hit with...whoever was watching MTV in 2007! Enjoy constant explosions, stage dives, and other crazy bullshit that you won't see in any self-respecting wrestling promotion. You don't need to know anything about wrestling to enjoy this mess, but wrestling fans will recognize plenty of names from WWF/E, TNA, ROH, and more.

Your card for Monday includes:
  • The first five episodes of WSX, made up of NINETEEN MATCHES that somehow fit well within 2 hours
  • The next few episodes of Colt Cabana's WORST PROMO EVER
  • Surprises? Surprises!
See you next Monday! Ooooh yeah!

Heather Papps

hello friend

kind of blown away that the two films picked at random by two different people were by the same animation studio.

they were both incredibly lovely to watch and listen to. thanks for stopping by everyone!

i think we got an info drop coming also

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

Leraika posted:

Nezha's story is always very fun; I'll have to make sure I'm here on time for it!

i really like the modern animation adaptations

norris, custodian of cat named
Attorney-in-fact of Norris, Cat Named Thereof

BoldFrankensteinMir

This Wednesday the 2nd, Film Noir February begins with 1941's Ladies In Retirement!

(Thank you Heather Papps for the recommendation!)

I haven't seen it yet but it's got a stellar cast and what I did see was a super cool practical credits opening! I am a sucker for practical credits.

Wed February 2 and 4pm PST 7pm EST, https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Bonus poster!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

OP has been updated- we now have second thread! Behind the scenes at the Coupons & Deals Movie Nite Awards will be our hub for producing the award show, you can sign up in there to help with music, puppets, animation, all kinds of stuff! It's going to be a heck of a show.

But there's still work to be done in this thread too, namely the categories! According to the production schedule, we have 1 more week to finalize them:

So it's last call for suggestions! Suggestions so far are listed in the OP, and here's HP's list of all the movies we watched in 2021. I will keep the OP updated with new ideas throughout this week and then over this weekend, February 5th and 6th, everyone please pick your five favorites in a post.

New suggestion for a category: Most Inexplicably Fascinating

Sig by Heather Papps

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
New award category suggestions:
Worst Movie
Best Movie

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

BoldFrankensteinMir

blaise rascal posted:

New award category suggestions:
Worst Movie
Best Movie

Added!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Shorts have begun! https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

Great movie, bummer ending though. For something that lasted only an hour and half there was a loooot packed in into every scene.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

for your consideration:

The Fabian Kaelin Award for Most Absurd Wrestling Thing

Prof. Crocodile

so I missed the rasslin and also I can’t get into discord. :negative:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Oh no! Here's an invite to our little movie-scheduling discord, if it's helpful.

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

Suggestion for the noir theme:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saturday, February 5 at 4pm PST 7pm EST! Check your drinks and don't drop your matchbooks, we're watching 1950's D.O.A.!

This sincerely ridiculous film noir with light sci-fi elements may be my favorite of the whole genre, it's just so dang pulpy and good from start to finish. Plus more one-reelers from the year of the movie's release, including noir trailers, starting a half hour before the show. https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

edit-

Saoshyant posted:

Suggestion for the noir theme:

Ooh looks good! I'll try to find us a copy for next Wednesday.

Sig by Heather Papps

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Prof. Crocodile posted:

there will be plenty more! I'm not sure if it'll be weekly or semiweekly yet, but it'll probably happen this coming Monday either way

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

This educational movie from 1950 teaches you the importance of never leaving your drink unattended. An important life lesson that may just save you from the dreadful luminous toxin.

Leraika

Also tonight: how to make something called "tuna rarebit" in a "gas oven".

teen witch
hated that I missed this but ikea day took a lot more outta me!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Wednesday February 9th at 4pm PST 7pm EST, we're watching Kansas City Confidential!

It's the gritty 1953 crime drama that inspired both L.A. Confidential and Reservoir Dogs. Plus shorts and crab-dancin', https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Also, it's time to vote for the categories! Here are the suggestions made thus far:

---

I'm stranded on a deserted island and this is the only movie available but its still bad.

Biggest 'wow actually this is rad' surpriser

Cheesiest special effects

Biggest gap between conception and execution

Best original song

Most pedantic nitpick

Shittiest kid

:stonk: iest moment

The most famous actor in the cast that is just needing to put their son through college, ok?

Rowdiest fight scene

Best villainous plan

Coolest animal

Most Improbable Escape from Death

Best Deus Ex Machina

The Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought

Most Inexplicably Fascinating

Worst Movie

Best Movie

---

To vote, please post your five favorite ones in bold! I'll go ahead and start with my picks:

---

Best original song

Coolest animal

Best villainous plan

Worst Movie

Best Movie

---

And, I do still think there's a lot of potential in a lifetime achievement award, but we'll see if we can raise the scratch to do an extra bit with the host, it shouldn't take one of the 5 category slots methinks. What do youthinks???

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

:stonk: iest moment

The most famous actor in the cast that is just needing to put their son through college, ok?

Coolest animal

Most Inexplicably Fascinating

ty nesamdoom!

Leraika

Worst Movie
Best Movie

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Shittiest kid
Rowdiest fight scene
Best villainous plan

Prof. Crocodile

Buttchocks posted:

Shittiest kid

gotta be George. that little fucker almost ruined the Dutch Christmas village :argh:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Wednesday February 9th at 4pm PST 7pm EST, we're watching Kansas City Confidential!

It's the gritty 1953 crime drama that inspired both L.A. Confidential and Reservoir Dogs. Plus shorts and crab-dancin', https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Hey, that's where I live! I'm gonna need to show up for this one 😂

biosterous

my pics are

Rowdiest fight scene

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Best original song

Shittiest kid

Best villainous plan

Best Deus Ex Machina

quote:

And, I do still think there's a lot of potential in a lifetime achievement award, but we'll see if we can raise the scratch to do an extra bit with the host, it shouldn't take one of the 5 category slots methinks. What do youthinks???

C&D Hall of "Fame"?

BoldFrankensteinMir

pre-movienite shorts have begun! https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

A decent refresher on the Hays Production Code over at TV tropes

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 10, 2022

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

i gotta think about my noms and for once i'm not pondering tacos

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
There was a serious lack of Kansas City in that movie. That must be the confidential part.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah it was Kansas City for like 20 minutes, it really should have been called Tijuana and Surrounding Areas Confidential

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saturday the 12th at 4pm PST 7pm EST, we're watching 1939's Moon Over Harlem!

Technically this movie might not be categorized as Film Noir, but only because it falls into the much more niche category of "race movies". It's still a crime drama full of gangsters and such, it's just meant for black audiences, which at the time was a genre all to itself. Seeing as it's Black History Month here in the US, it feels appropriate. Thanks to Heather Papps for the recommendation!

https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

this one should be interesting. i wish i could say a black person also directed and wrote it but an all black cast is still pretty groundbreaking. holy smokes that quote from the courier is ROUGH though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah race movies exist in this weird double-standard where yes, it is cool to see black actors getting work and telling stories for black audiences, but at the same time the way the white media deals with their work is just abhorrent. It's the same situation for "race records', some of the copy written for them is ghastly.

Sig by Heather Papps