Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I always figured it was about being a refugee or something, but it looks more like it's just Resident Evil with more pretension? All the ads and artwork made me think that it was the videogame industry's big attempt at doing a prestige contemporary adult drama, and seeing that there was a sequel recently it had me curious if they actually managed to pull it off.

So... has anyone done this yet? What's the Kramer Vs. Kramer or Ordinary People or Moonlight of videogames? Hell, I'll take a Fatal Attraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

turn on ur monitor

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's just more zombie bullshit, basically The Walking Dead for gamers

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No John you are the monsters

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

the true monsters are the obsessed, mad about "sjw" weirdos

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

hrm... prehaps man is teh real mosnter.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The real monsters were the friends we made along the way

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

None of these replies are very helpful so far!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

So... has anyone done this yet? What's the Kramer Vs. Kramer or Ordinary People or Moonlight of videogames? Hell, I'll take a Fatal Attraction.

To the Moon

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The real monsters are the fans

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real monsters are the horrible farts i've been ripping today. i think something died up there.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

See, now we're getting somewhere.

Anything 3D?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If you were the last person alive how long do you think it would be before you became fatally bored of jerking off

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What you are looking for are point and click adventures. Those are the only ones that actually have the sort of stories you are looking for. And Disco Elysium.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

who cares OP it's one of those video games that tries to have a good story

There is no such thing as a good story in video games and there never will be

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
There's a monster at the end of this thread

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Kill this character you like >:)

no I don't want to

Hah!!! Now you realise that the cycle of violence is bad! Look upon ye self and despair!!!

ok. wow, big thoughts. Where is the button to lower my gun

oh no you still have to kill them otherwise it's a game over

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I especially like it when people say "the game kinda sucks but the story is just so good!"

These people usually have a triple digit number of hours in multiple visual novels.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I especially like it when people say "the game kinda sucks but the story is just so good!"

I, too, liked Planescape: Torment.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Can you still brain dudes with a brick/bottle? That was my favorite part of the first one (the other kills were a little gruesome for me, personally).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Prey: Mooncrash is the Moon of videogames.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I don't know why you need a story better than "Your dad was flying around the universe drunk and blew up all the planets. Now you have to clean up his mess by making new planets out of human garbage."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

I don't know why you need a story better than "Your dad was flying around the universe drunk and blew up all the planets. Now you have to clean up his mess by making new planets out of human garbage."

Im also a huge fan of "space aliens killed your pet rabbit"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
The real monster is man op

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

You don't. But some people think you do and then we get stuff like the Last of Us, or Yakuza, or Planescape, and then they gush about how great the story is because they've never read anything that doesn't have the words "illustrated by" on the front cover somewhere.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Silent Hill 2 is the best example of this I know of. It even has a mode for people who aren't interested in monsters and just want the awesome story centering around a loved one's terminal illness and the inability to deal with it.

What Remains of Edith Finch had no combat and is fabulous, about a family with a such a sad history is crosses into curse territory.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I couldn't even imagine being as cool and above it all as the OP, probably because I'm currently being deep fried in a sub-basement

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Dreddout posted:

The real monster is man op

The real man is monster op

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The opening scene of the game has two skyscrapers duct taped like that scene in Idiocracy so I laughed and watched that instead.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

joel got whAT HE DESERVED

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

No John you are the monsters

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

There are some classic games starring hollywood funnymen Christopher Lloyd and Rob Schneider. Might be what you're looking for OP.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Super Mario has the best story of any game. The princess is on a diplomatic mission to the Koopa kingdom. Turtle and mushroom citizens are living in peace. Then he escapes his prison. Mario, the greatest monster to ever terrorize the countryside. A man covered in the blood of his enemies- you think that shirt was originally red? In a land of sentient mushrooms, he eats those mushrooms to gain their strength. After he kills king Bowser, the princess nervously thanks him, unsure of what else to say.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

You don't. But some people think you do and then we get stuff like the Last of Us, or Yakuza, or Planescape, and then they gush about how great the story is because they've never read anything that doesn't have the words "illustrated by" on the front cover somewhere.

I had to read a shitload of classic literature and it all sucks, all of it. The one exception is the Shakespeare story where someone uses "I hosed your mom" as a comeback.

That being said 99% of video game plots suck poo poo tho I don't really know why you'd lump in Planescape, which is basically a novel parading around in a video game's skin, with The Last of Us which is just the Walking Dead tv show but more pretentious.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I had to read a shitload of classic literature and it all sucks, all of it. The one exception is the Shakespeare story where someone uses "I hosed your mom" as a comeback.

That being said 99% of video game plots suck poo poo tho I don't really know why you'd lump in Planescape, which is basically a novel parading around in a video game's skin, with The Last of Us which is just the Walking Dead tv show but more pretentious.

It's because I've never played either of them tbqh, or Yakuza

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed the story and the gameplay, also.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Heavy Rain tried but had a silly ending, dialog poorly translated from French, and out of place scifi elements thrown in for no reason.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I for one, did not know anything about Popular Thing. I am much more interesting than those who do know details about Popular Thing and I just had to post a thread so you were all aware that I didn't know about Popular Thing.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
it's not about young lesbians??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
i still think the ps5 design is an epic troll by sony and when you open the box it'll be a normal looking thing and not a tumor