Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

There's one holiday that really matters to me, friends. All apologies to the religious and patriotic, but for me, "holiday" means Halloween.

Halloween is the coolest holiday where you do the coolest things, eat the coolest food and go to the coolest parties. Costume parties! The masquerade was our ancestors' cosplay , where everyone was transformed for a night (and their taste in fantasy duly noted). From a young age memories and images are lifetime-bound to people by real magic on that day: the complex and bizarre social construct we call a happy Halloween.

2020, needless to say, has been a less fun kind of masked occasion. Without getting too into the arithmetic we're all sick of, many of the traditional Halloween festivities are going to be hard or impossible for a lot of us this year. But we can look at it another way- the culture of 2020 is a time of exciting new traditions, ones that may shine bright for us on Halloween night. It is in this optimistic spirit (oooOOoOOoooh spooky ghost joke) that I propose a party- a costume party! In a thoroughly modern style. A costZoom party!

The maximum number of participants in a Zoom meeting is 1000 though I doubt we'd get that huge. But imagine maybe a hundred costumed goons at a virtual party together. Offering hors d'oeuvres to the window next to us, or taking one from the one below. Gag backgrounds that go with costumes- Dracula's in front of his castle! Frankenstein's in his master's basement! Sub channels and sub sub channels, conversations within conversation, what a party!

And how about if many of those partygoers are watching the same old movies and music in their backgrounds, perfectly synced together, that'd start to get downright eerie. I'm thinking the mask-and-mayhem serial that won our hearts this summer, Black Whip, interspersed with holiday music and other favorites on psp-tv or something similar. We could even set up little doors in front of our webcams and go trick-or-frickin'-treating! Oh you're watching Black Whip too, wow! And thanks for the deviled egg!

Maybe you want to just pop in and show off your home-party costume for five minutes, or maybe you wanna stick around a while, or maybe you even want be a host and do your costume's gag for people in and out of channels and threads and commentary streams all night! Heck, with multiple time zones this party might last 14 hours, that's a fantastically long time to get to play pretend and make jokes and wear a cape. Just saying.

Let's embrace the scary weirdness of this year, on the one night when scary weirdness is our plaything and not the other way around. What do you say BYOB, shall we try to throw our fellow goons a giant costZoom party this Halloween?

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diorama

i remember when all this was fields
sure, but i'm not in a position to be making financial contributions

BoldFrankensteinMir

Diorama posted:

sure, but i'm not in a position to be making financial contributions

I really doubt we'll hit the point where we'd need one of those licenses, I was merely marveling at the potential.

Edit- updated the OP to be more clear.

Sig by Heather Papps

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
I'd lurk to see some BYOB costumes :ninja:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'm trying to decide what my costume this year is going to be. I have a couple ideas.

Vampire (I very much enjoyed What We Do in the Shadows)
Cowboy (So I could have a B+W filter on while I show Black Whip and Popeye cartoons all night)
Vampire Cowboy? (do both???)

Sig by Heather Papps