Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The supernatural element is there, but more as a character quirk. Odis has OCD, Zelmare has the shining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
She assumed it was a fake kidnapping to get at her money that went sideways. Her downfall is going to be thinking she's in Fargo the movie instead of Fargo the TV show.

Good call making the bad guy a sheriff and our "good cops" POCs. We're like six months before George Floyd and trying to make the 2019 Minnesota police look sympathetic would be an absolute fool's errand.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I was holding out for an explanation for the kilt and God drat did I get one.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Hard to think about how all of this evolved from the Mike Yanagita scene.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

El Jeffe posted:

I'm enjoying Jon Hamm as a Far Cry villain very much.

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? Adapting the same movie over and over again and expecting different results.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Onomarchus posted:

VERY nice sly little touch (assuming it's intentional...)* [possible spoilers in link for a future character arc]: the chronologically first time you see Ole Munch he's wearing a brown sack over his head.

Just like Oogie Boogie.

*Non-spoiler article summary: all the Nightmare Before Christmas references are deliberate and, at least in one casec important, but the specifics of when and how much are a bit of a guessing game. Mike Yanagita was invoked.

I like this read. Munch is a walking vessel of sin the same way Oogie is big a big ol' sack of bugs. What happens when he comes unravelled?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm sensing a theme. Tillman insists he has "a debt unpaid." Mrs. Lyon (the elder) made her fortune by taking over other people's financial debts after they defaulted. Munch made his fortune by taking over other people's spiritual debts after they "defaulted."

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

DaveKap posted:

David Rysdahl as Wayne gives me some kinda vibes... I can't quite place. It might be Mr. Green from Clue or Brad Majors in Rocky Horror. Maybe Rick Moranis's character in Ghostbusters... Anyone else get reminded of someone specific?

Cory Michael Smith's version of The Riddler on Gotham, riiiight before he snaps and starts killing people.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
"What I want to know is are you going to look for her or are going to sit drinking coffee in the one house in the state where I know that girl ain't at."

Not just the "ain't," but ending a sentence with a preposition as a deliberate power move.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Using oranges to signify death has become the Wilhelm Scream of metaphors.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Witt Farr keeps randomly finding himself in the right place at the right time this episode. I've been to North Dakota; you don't just "run into" people.

I can't have been the only one bracing myself for a Burn After Reading homage when Indira threw open the closet doors.

Giving Dot that much chain basically guaranteed that somebody was going to get Jabba'd, but it was drat satisfying to watch. I really hope she kills him. My biggest fear is that the season ends with Tillman getting arrested only to add a credits postcript about how he received a blanket presidential pardon before his sentence began like Joe Arpaio.

RIP Danish "Unmarked" Graves. He died doing what he loved.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I hope we get to learn Indira's maiden name now that she's dumped Lars. I want it to be something equally incongruous, like Hoffstetter.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I want to mod Dot into The Last of Us as a re-skin of Ellie and also Joel at the same time.

I love how consistent they've been about her traps and schemes only having about a 30% success rate because that's kinda how traps and schemes work. She's just throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Do you find it inauthentic or do you just want to pretend it never happened?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

ChesterJT posted:

I hate when politics saturates things because modern politics is such a cesspool of stupidity I do my best to avoid it at all costs.

This here is what I meant by "pretending it never happened." We will be talking about Donald Trump for the rest of our lives because he was president of the United States and he may yet be again.

"Politics" is unavoidable, especially in art. It's like getting annoyed that the show reminds you about how you're going to die. Yeah, it really sucks to think about, but you'd best start coming to terms.

Ballz posted:

Y'all saw that face when Roy was in the bunker right before meeting Munch and Gator right? It was there for like a second and it superimposed on Roy's and I was like oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo

I thought that was a little editing flashback to Munch's naked incursion in with the blood runes as a little reminder for why there's a dead sheep in the tunnel.

Edit:

Emetic Hustler posted:

Yes. And the change of aspect ratio at the beginning when Roy was standing on his porch. What does it mean?
I think it represents his concentration as he decides what to do about Dot, shifting into a predator's focus (as in like a owl) as he makes the choice to kill her.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 11, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Art imitates life and that bothers South Park Libertarians.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Every TV show gets one "Covid season" that they get to put a little asterisk next to because production was weird and season 4 was Fargo's, but it's still totally worth a watch. Doctor Senator is delightful and Timothy Olyphant is a real crowd pleaser as Raylan Givens, But Mormon.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I want a GIF of that last shot, independent from all the context and symbolism. Just a man cautiously trying a buttermilk biscuit for the first time and experiencing religious ecstasy.

My one complaint is that Witt Farr felt underutilized all season and it sucks that he died preventing the bad guy from walking into an ambush.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

a new study bible! posted:

I love how well Munch contrasts with Varga.

"I really want biscuits now," versus, "I never want to eat rocky road ever again."

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Watch all the Fargo.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I thought making Varga bulimic was very humanizing. He hates himself, but for the entirely wrong reason.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
This is way off topic but it occurs to me that the Fargo seasons are usually ranked the same order as the Suikoden games: 2, 5, 1, 3, 4 (With me personally swapping 1 and 3). I only mention this because now I can't stop thinking about the Fargo: Tactics spinoff and the untranslated Fargo Gaiden series.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I want a spinoff kids show about Postman Gus learning lessons about the world while delivering parcels to the colorful townsfolk

Edit: Or a series of instructional YouTube videos where Nikki Swango teaches how to play bridge.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Since Transatlantic accents are 100% an affectation, any time she slips up can be attributed to either JJL or Lorraine without changing the scene any.