Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’m curious what everyone thinks about all the Drumline music being used in the soundtrack. Do you like it? Does it set the mood well? Does it seem out of place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mameluke posted:

I think it's weird. Drumline music always makes me think of high school.

ruddiger posted:

I like it. Makes it feel like the drums of war.

I wanted to ask because I think it's pretty much impossible for me to listen without a bias. I have a strong background in music for drumlines. All of the tracks used in this season are from free albums written by a guy named Cassidy Byars (they're all on Spotify if anyone is interested) I've heard his stuff used on a few other shows, most notably Vice Principals—always wondered if he gets paid when people use his tracks since he published them for free initially.

And while I want to live in a world where drumline music is more common because I love it so much, I think I'd actually have to agree with ruddiger. I love drumline music, but at this moment in time it's definitely used to remind people of high school (or sometimes college).

Also, and I realize this is petty as hell, but drumlines in 1950 were absolutely incapable of the stuff being done in the tracks used; there were no quads or tonal bass drums, and snares weren't nearly as tight. Plus the music was generally a lot less complex. While I realize that it wasn't meant to be period music or anything like that, it still feels extremely anachronistic to me, like suddenly hearing a metal guitar shredding away or something. But like I said, I wasn't sure if that was just because I'm ultra familiar with the tracks being used (been on my Spotify playlists for nearly a decade now) or if anyone else was getting that vibe as well.

tl;dr: I have a lot of complicated opinions about boom-booms and bangy-bangs.

Anyways Oraetta sure does walk funny eh?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pizza Segregationist posted:

I like Oraetta as a character a lot, and I like the drums on the soundtrack this season. But I have had a hard time getting immersed when Chris Rock is on the screen. Maybe I’m just too used to him as a comedian but I have never felt the intimidating presence I feel like the show wants to project from him. The shootout at the train station was shocking though, I did not expect the massacre or for Odis to start murdering people. My least favorite season so far but I’m still engrossed

On the one hand I agree, and I would even extend this to Jason Schwartzman and a few of the other gangsters, from both families. Chris Rock, Schwartzman, the guy that plays Gaetano—they're all trying to play big and tough when clearly none of them are. Rock is playful and observant, Schwartzman is neurotic and soft-spoken, and for all his posturing Gaetano really does seem to have that fun "Ah, I'm just messing with ya" energy. But, on the other hand...

I think it actually works really well for their characters. All of these members of crime families were forced to grow up into their roles. They know all the right things to say and they know how to act to get what they want, but you can't very well change your height or your voice or whatever. They're doing their best to play the role they were given, and I mean that in regards to the actors AND their characters. Plus, it's not like these are New York or Chicago gangsters. Of course freakin' Missouri's going to get the B-list mafiosos, and that's more than enough to bring all the mild-mannered midwesterner townsfolk to heel when needed.

And speaking of Odis, what was up with his betrayal of Deafy in the last episode? That really seemed to come out of nowhere. What's his play there?

(Final thought: I was a good 4-5 episodes in before I finally realized that Odis is Harrow, the goddamned half-faced assassin from Boardwalk Empire. Jack Huston is a fuckin good actor!)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tokelau All Star posted:

FWIW there was drumline stuff in Season 2 as well, one moment that sticks in my memory was Lou and the other cops descending on the cabin where Hanzee and the Blumquists were doing their thing. It kind of sends a "poo poo's about to go down" signal.

You remember drumline music specially, or just drums? I do recall the soundtrack of past seasons being drum heavy, but what I remember specifically was more of a drumset based, floor tom heavy groove, almost like the beginning of Sing Sing Sing or some other big band tune.

Looks like somebody helpfully uploaded a compilation of all Fargo drum tracks to YouTube (prior to S4 of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DggdZKsIfyY

According to the notes (and my vague recollection) it was usually used to underscore Wrench and Numbers, and then again in S3 when Wrench returns. Wouldn't be surprised if they snuck some variations into S2 as well though I don't remember that one as well due to how long it's been.

These sort of drums don't sound out of place to me like the marching drum tracks from this year.

EDIT: Well hold on now!! I just got to 4:30 in this track and there's definitely a little marching snare drum. How about that! And it just picks up more and more from there. Yup, you're definitely right.

timp fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 12, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh shiiiit they did a Wizard of Ooooooz

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I liked this episode okay enough but I definitely missed all of our Kansas City characters. Here's just some random thoughts

- I agree with the goon who said that Satchel will grow up to be Mike Milligan. That arc definitely makes sense to me after this episode

- I was absolutely tickled at all of the scenes involving the billboard outside of town, especially the worker finishing the job and lamenting about the irony of the situation out loud to Rabbi. That all felt extremely Coenesque.

- I've enjoyed Andrew Bird this season. This is sort of complicated but I'll do my best to convey it. I remember growing up and learning about all the white slave owners and racists who founded and ran our country for so, so many years and how my teachers and historians online would all say "Well you can't judge them for that, everybody was racist!" But recently a podcaster I listen to (Robert Evans of Behind the Bastards, also an occasional goon fwiw) said on his show that, no, there were people out there who treated minorities respectfully, you just have to look a little harder to find them. So with that in mind I like being introduced to a character like Thurman Smutney and seeing what a decent person in 1950 looked and acted like. I mean obviously this is a true story fictional show and he's being played by an actor, but it's still nice to see a character like that being portrayed amongst all the casual racism from the other characters. I don't think he's bad in the role at all and I've been rooting for the dumb bastard and his family.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Edge & Christian posted:

5) They have a semipro baseball team called The Liberal Bee Jays, which is something.

Please don't dox me

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

This season had great performances, visuals, and individual scenes, but absolutely no structure or consistent overarching themes whatsoever. It literally is just “a bunch of things that happened”. It’s hard to call it actively bad when so many individual little things worked, but it didn’t cohere into a satisfactory whole at all. Definitely the weakest season so far

I think this is how I'm feeling. I enjoyed each episode well enough but now that it's done I'm just sitting here like, okay...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

frogbs posted:

Season 4 of this was worse than Season 2 of True Detective.

Woah now

Let's not say things we can't take back

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fartington Butts posted:

Double post several days later. I'm watching Season 2 again, I never got far into it while it was airing, and I noticed something... do any of the previous seasons use the Fargo theme as much as Season 4 did? They play it a lot in the intro/outro of episodes in S4.

No they definitely recycled a lot of music in a way that reduced it's effectiveness IMO, especially the theme song.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah it rules that they're portraying the American sheriff as a feudal lord with endless capacity to abuse their power, which is what they essentially are.

https://twitter.com/RealSheriffJoe/status/1727091355636371667?t=k9jd58Jv2rktf8dZOhZ8PQ&s=19

poo poo I bet Sheriff Joe would have literally agreed to be cast in this show playing that character exactly as it's currently written, fully unaware it's essentially a parody* of him. He's too much of a narcissist to detect subtle insults when they're wrapped in what seems like praise on the surface. Although I'm sure Sheriff Morals will probably end up getting got in some way by the end of the season and I doubt his ego could sustain that.

*Parody's not the right word though because this portrayal is way more charismatic than that sack of poo poo could ever be

Anyways, really enjoyed the first two episodes. Really feels like a return to form after S4. Pretty much any show is improved by the presence of John Hamm and this one is no different. For now I'm choosing to believe that his character here is canonically the same as his character in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just have to share this because it was such a wild coincidence.

Last Sunday I was watching E2 while my almost 3 y.o. toddler was napping, but she woke up when I was about 3/4 of the way through and wandered into the living room. I decided to finish out the scene I was watching (seemed like it'd be okay, no signs of violence or vulgarity), then pause it and watch the rest later.

This is the exact point we got the "This is Halloween" needle drop in that episode, and my daughter flips out. She became obsessed with Nightmare Before Christmas this Halloween season and was running around the house going "this is halloween, halloween, halloween" for the entire month of October, plus some of November. In fact, she was just starting to forget about it...until she heard it on Fargo last Sunday. Now she's back to singing it and asking to watch it again, just when I thought we were past it.

It's extremely rare for me to watch any one of my "grown-up" shows when she's in the room, and the one time I chance it they set back our Nightmare Before Christmas counter by 2 weeks. I just can't say I expected that result, at all.

And now I'm super tuned in to all the Nightmare Before Christmas references, of which there were several in E3. What's that all about anyway?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There was one thing that struck me as odd during the last episode. Dot is desperate to get her hands on some high caliber firearms ASAP, even going so far as trying to charm the gun shop clerk in order to bypass the mandatory wait period. Wasn't it established early on in the first episode that her mother-in-law is a right-wing 2nd amendment fanatic that makes her family take Christmas card photos holding giant assault rifles?

I get that there's plenty of reasons why she might want to avoid trying to borrow, "borrow", or steal Lorraine's guns, but it honestly seems like a plothole to not mention them at all.

WAYNE: Well hun, if you wanted to get your hands on some weapons we could always talk to my mom...
DOT: No! I mean...we don't need to bother her, right? Anyways, we should have our own, don't ya think?

It's like the main character googling "Elephant rental" when her mother in law owns an elephant zoo. Nobody's even going to bring up the family elephant??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jehde posted:

It's not a plot hole at all when it's painfully obvious that she doesn't own or use those small calibre sporting rifles for anything. They're just props some local firearm manufacture has the local politician promote, made obvious with how they're brought in and fitted to the portrait.

She has a security detail, not a collection of colourful sport rifles. Dot is trying to convince her mother-in-law that she's not a danger that requires a security detail, she's hiding her dangerous past from her.

I agree that it's clear that Dot wouldn't want to touch that, but what about Wayne? Wouldn't it be a quick, easy connection for him? Wife wants guns, mother has guns, why not ask mother for guns? His character has already been established as one who goes to him mom for help with things above his paygrade.

Like I said, it's a totally ignorable detail that honestly didn't even occur to me until after watching the episode, but it feels like a missed connection that could have been assuaged in 2 lines of dialogue. Chekhov's Assault Rifles gone untouched, if you will.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
drat, 2 dramatic bathtub standups in 3 episodes

Maybe we can get one more before the end of the season for a hat trick

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CatstropheWaitress posted:

They haven't made a huge deal of it yet this season, but Roy is funding and funneling weapons to a full on militia. Would be surprised if there wasn't some sorta big shoot out in store towards the end.

Good call. Hell, that’s probably the only reason they even included that detail; so they can justify a firefight at the end of the season

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Say what you will about Roy’s parting words to Graves, but you gotta admit he did have a point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

King Of Coons posted:

Ok hear me out.

I’m fairly certain the acting quality was a deliberate choice. Rock ain’t a great actor, but he isn’t that bad. Shwartzman is a good actor and definitely isn’t that bad.

I remember being super excited to discuss this new meta angle hawley was taking that season when it aired but like only one other goon had a similar thought and everyone else panned it.

I love you other deranged goon! You were right!

:):respek::) That might have been me I think!

My take at the time was that Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman weren’t nearly as intimidating as they acted like they were, but it sort of made sense in a way because hey, this isn’t NYC or LA we’re seeing here, it’s Kansas City. And IIRC both characters were replacing older, more established and respected characters near the beginning of the season.

So yeah, they’re not S-tier big city goons, they’re B-tier medium city goons trying to act tough.

Whether or not it “worked” is still probably up for debate, but that was at least my justification for the casting.

EDIT: This thread is actually the S4 thread repurposed so I went back and found my original take:

timp posted:

On the one hand I agree, and I would even extend this to Jason Schwartzman and a few of the other gangsters, from both families. Chris Rock, Schwartzman, the guy that plays Gaetano—they're all trying to play big and tough when clearly none of them are. Rock is playful and observant, Schwartzman is neurotic and soft-spoken, and for all his posturing Gaetano really does seem to have that fun "Ah, I'm just messing with ya" energy. But, on the other hand...

I think it actually works really well for their characters. All of these members of crime families were forced to grow up into their roles. They know all the right things to say and they know how to act to get what they want, but you can't very well change your height or your voice or whatever. They're doing their best to play the role they were given, and I mean that in regards to the actors AND their characters. Plus, it's not like these are New York or Chicago gangsters. Of course freakin' Missouri's going to get the B-list mafiosos, and that's more than enough to bring all the mild-mannered midwesterner townsfolk to heel when needed.

timp fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 7, 2024