Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This is definitely feeling like some classic Fargo, in a potentially disturbing modern setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow this season is a huge step up already. The air horn was funny as hell

Haven't laughed while cursing in shock like that in a while.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Loved Dot's shopping list. So far this season is just cranking those Fargo dials to 11 it feels like.

Gator in his childhood room with ninja daggers on the wall was great too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's not a plot hole at all when it's painfully obvious that she doesn't own or use those small calibre sporting rifles for anything. They're just props some local firearm manufacture has the local politician promote, made obvious with how they're brought in and fitted to the portrait.

She has a security detail, not a collection of colourful sport rifles. Dot is trying to convince her mother-in-law that she's not a danger that requires a security detail, she's hiding her dangerous past from her.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It also works well for a scene where Dot is a typical american that has no idea how gun laws work, and lets her rattle off a bunch of video game guns to make dorks that play call of duty think "oh she's for real!!" And the husband being sobered with a "wait it costs how much to buy a gun??" Still avoiding how serious his wife is getting about protecting their family from danger. It's a fun Fargo scene.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Qubee posted:

Well that's just making me want to skip watching S3 and S4 and just go right to the latest season.

It is an anthology series, so no real reason not to watch the seasons in whatever order you want.

Will echo that S3 is worthwhile, S4 meanders, and S5 has been a return to form.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I am ready for the team up of Lorraine, Indira, and Scotty to save Dot from Roy and his boys club.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Characters that suck but are very entertaining is kind of part of the whole schtick of Fargo.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Was not expecting to get one let alone two masterpieces of puppet-driven backstory episodes in TV this year. (The other being "The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride" from Blue Eye Samurai)

Also Juno Temple has been great from go, pepper spraying a cop, but she really ran a gamut in this episode.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 27, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

We're close enough to COVID time that I can imagine it being a plot point. It's November 2019 in the show and things didn't really go to hell until mid-March, but I can see getting there. Maybe it's just on my mind since everyone's getting sick with it in real life.

I don't see how shifting everything into a global pandemic would make for entertaining Fargo TV, especially with it being a very recent and troubling memory for a lot of people still.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

eke out posted:

all the scenes with wayne and scotty were so unbelievably sweet this episode

The dialogue was a bit stilted, but I am here for Wayne's electro-charged humanity. (He was never a bad guy, just seems to be turning into a good guy)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yes

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Okuteru posted:

Finally, Indira told her husband off and in comedic fashion, will live with the consequences of the relationship in the forms of debt and repos.

Indira's take down of Lars was a great Fargo monologue, dudes suck. It felt a tiny bit stilted (a common minor issue this season) but Indira deserved it so I'm fine with it.

Roy walking menacingly to the old house to britney spears was something I couldn't help but laugh at, and I love that song.

RIP Danish, think he just flew too close to the sun, after masterfully taking Roy down with the debate. Didn't Roy make a reference to Icarus earlier in the season? I may be imagining things.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 3, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

As others have said and doesn't really need to be reiterated: Every season of Fargo is the best TV. We're comparing like 9.9/10 to 9.2/10.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Wasn't nearly as explosive as a finale as I was expecting, instead much more about the denouement. But it was more than worth it to have Munch stay for chili and biscuits.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Weird talking weird hair man. Same same.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'd be fine with them ending on a banger. 5x10x60mins is my golden ratio for drama series. Sure it's an anthology series so it doesn't carry its baggage into future seasons in the same way. Still, I've had a good fill of Fargo.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Fargo: Not cold enough. 2/5

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

him and Juno. i haven't seen anything with her in it before i do not believe.

Watch Ted Lasso if you want some possible retroactive "Wait Keeley is in a Fargo season?!"

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This is the polar opposite of a Skylar White situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I mean you don't have to, but yeah "making this terrible person likeable" is part of the schtick.