Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

double negative posted:

lol they really even had Loy repeat Mike Milligan's "No...pretty unfriendly, really. But it's the way you're unfriendly" line

More evidence Cannon's son is gonna grow up to be Mike :,)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

timp posted:

On the one hand I agree, and I would even extend this to Jason Schwartzman and a few of the other gangsters, from both families. Chris Rock, Schwartzman, the guy that plays Gaetano—they're all trying to play big and tough when clearly none of them are. Rock is playful and observant, Schwartzman is neurotic and soft-spoken, and for all his posturing Gaetano really does seem to have that fun "Ah, I'm just messing with ya" energy. But, on the other hand...

I think it actually works really well for their characters. All of these members of crime families were forced to grow up into their roles. They know all the right things to say and they know how to act to get what they want, but you can't very well change your height or your voice or whatever. They're doing their best to play the role they were given, and I mean that in regards to the actors AND their characters. Plus, it's not like these are New York or Chicago gangsters. Of course freakin' Missouri's going to get the B-list mafiosos, and that's more than enough to bring all the mild-mannered midwesterner townsfolk to heel when needed.

This is where I keep finding myself landing w/ the Italian side. I do still wish Cannon had more weight to him tho, as his character is so far being treated moreso as someone who knows their poo poo and is clever, but lacks the respect and support to go anywhere with it outside crime.

Seems pretty clear this is going to end ala' Gangs of New York – where either one side "wins" but then is immediately arrested by the police (greater power), or they gear up for a final fight and are arrested there. No way this isn't ending with both sides crushed.

Deafy dying & the shootout seems like the perfect catalysts for either state gov or federal troops to come in.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

If I recall correctly, Joe Bulo was Milligan's mentor, right? A younger version of Bulo showed up a couple of episodes ago so I'm wondering how these two are going to come into contact.

drat, totally missed that. Good catch.

Other evidence for satchel being mike milligan (outside of Noah's enjoyment of having these season's intertwine subtly) is that Chris Rock does the same speech about how Mid-westerners are "friendly" word-for-word that Mike does in S2.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Did Josto get his son back? I feel like I blinked and missed it if so.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kept waiting for some greater motivation behind the murdering nurse, whether it was a religious fervor or just masochism. Suppose they went w/ the later, but it'd be nice to get some insight to the why.

Ethlerida was done wrong. Side-lined most of the season and her main contribution seemed to come with little struggle.

I guess we knew the Italians were still in charge years later, but it did surprise me the "second class citizen" thesis of the season seems to have evaporated by this ep. Was assuming Gaetano being found dead next to the killed cop would mean more cops and anti-black anti-italian cops would show up and clean house with little effort, but I guess this works too.

Still, if ya take it as a Mike Milligan backstory seems ok. Rabbi just killed it. Fargo still good, looking forward to season five.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I rewatched S3 a few months ago and I think it holds up a lot better than ya'll are remembering. It doesn't hit the high of the second season, but there's a lot of really fun stuff there.

romanowski posted:

I also thought based on the first episode that the nurse was going to be more of a lorne malvo style vaguely-supernatural-but-not-really villain and I would have liked that more than her just being a character who is sort of loosely tied to the main plot and who disappears for episodes at a time and then gets shot in the head. I like that actress

Hard agree here. The 'supernatural force majeure' character is a staple in these shows, and it's a bummer they didn't go all the way with the nurse being that or giving her some backstory to explain the motivation. General concept was a fine starting point, and Jesse Buckley was *perfect* for it, but the lack of that depth or prowess was a dentriment.

Same thing with the ghost story. Either keep it stupid vague like S2 with the aliens or stick to the logic you've created. No idea why the vengeful spirit trying to kill Smutey's kept saving them.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

How much are you thinking about the future of Fargo? Is there an idea for a fifth season yet?

I think there is. I don't think it's the next thing I'm doing.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fargo-season-4-finale-explained

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Season two is a *masterpiece*, what with how large the cast is yet well fleshed out and realized. Even rewards rewatching, as minor characters get their moments to shine before they meet their maker.

Three doesn't quite live up to that, but you have Ray Wise as "The Wandering Jew", Vargas who's looks like an omnipresent baddie who's actually just great Googling things, the cop who can't be detected by electronics (love love that gag), an extended chase episode with Wrench and Swanko in the woods that's dope as hell, and a brotherly quarrel that's pretty down to earth.

In all they do at least weave together a lot smoother than this last one. & the whole post-truth theme hits hard given... *hand gestures*.

Fargo makes me get mad at other tv shows for not coming up with as many interesting characters/situations. Heck, I think this season had brilliant set pieces, we just didn't get as many great scenes w/ them interlacing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the finale to this was bad, but TD Season 2 was laughably incompetent.

Remember when Vince Vaughen walked until his feet bled and then walked some more

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Wait holy poo poo she was the wife of the fireman? :aaa:

:aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It has great actors, a really solid premise, and some incredible characters. But it never really coalesces the way the other seasons do and feels really clunky. Chris Rock is pretty bad in it, which is a shame cause he's one of the pillars of the season. Still worth a watch, there's still some really memorable episodes in there.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jessie is amazing. Rabbi is enthralling. Doctor Senator is fantastic. The lesbian outlaws are great. Jason Schwartzman and his brother are fun as hell. You root for the OCD copper.

But from what I recall the way the story unfolded was terribly unsatisfying. By the later episodes, it felt like all those performances were being under-utilised. Can't remember the exact issues, but Chris Rock falling flat was one that stuck.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MokBa posted:

Yeah a lot of comedic actors can make the transition to drama with pretty outstanding results. Chris Rock has always been a standup first and an actor second though and he just doesn't have it. I don't think he was distractingly bad in S4 necessarily, but he just doesn't have "it". Thankfully they were smart enough to pair him with Glynn Turman who could carry all those scenes and had chemistry with everyone.

It's a shame, I was excited to hear Rock was cast in this. I feel like more damning than the acting is that he just doesn't have a presence to him when he's on screen. The role as written wants you to believe this guy has a gravitas to him - that he's a great leader backed into a corner by a bad situation... and like that clip shared, Rock just falls so flat that it takes you completely out of it.

I'm not sure if Covid alone sunk that ship, as I recall getting worried about it halfway through the season instead of the very end, but that is interesting to hear. I'll still take a Fargo miss over a lot of tv, as there's still so much to like from the swing regardless.

quote:

I'm pretty drat excited for the S5 cast. Jon Hamm and Jennifer Jason Leigh are slam dunks, but I want to see what Joe Keery and Lamorne Morris can bring.

Hard agree!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Whoever selects the music for this show just continues to nail it. Borderline unparalleled.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife didn't recognize that Deputy Gator (he even sounds like a Justified jobber) was Steve from Stranger Things.

But she didn't recognize Jennifer Jason Leigh either.

This is her first season of Fargo, after completely refusing to watch any of the previous ones with me. We are both 100% on board so far. It is already leaving season 4 in the dust, and I suspect it will be much better than 3 as well (where the standouts for me were the villain and the casting as a whole, but not necessarily the plot or other characters).

I appreciate how season 3 pre-empted 'fake news' and had a lot of really fun stuff in it (bowling alley, the wolf, fun central conflict, deaf guy returns in spectacular form, "I can help" robot etc.). Feel like it holds up better on rewatch, but it's got the unfortunate duty of following the best standalone season of a tv show ever made.

S4 isn't hard to beat, as it's the first one to truly be a mess. Only thing outside of the setup I recall fondly was The Rabbit episode, and even that kinda missed the mark.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm a winner

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The inclusion does make it pretty apparent they probably planned to release this show two months ago.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I feel like an apologist for S4, as while it's easily the worst of the seasons, it did have so much going for it. Setup was loving great, and a lot of the individual characters had a lot of potential. Heck, most of the cast was brilliant. Just resolved so uncharacteristically unsatisfyingly, and Chris Rock was such a load-bearing presence that his lack of weight crippled half the main plot. Fargo had done anti-climatic endings before, S2 basically has one, but it at least twisted into something heart warming and was a hoot up til then.

Hawley in general seems to be a writer that really leans into the style/vibe/tropes of what he's writing. And 4/5 times he nails it. Tropes are there for a reason and when it's done with even just a fraction of cleverness it comes off brilliantly.

quote:

Everyone with an accent, everyone with an accent being simple-minded, goofy country folk from the Upper Midwest ya betcha, the stupid "This was based on a true story" bullshit they still insist on having in the intro to each episode.

Like this is a feature, not a bug. Makes the characters that have a thick accent but have a turn or two off just being simple-minded stick out (nick offerman S2, Mary Elizabeth Winstead S3). And that in turn feeds into anyone with the thick accent being just a simple-minded goofy country folk being a facade for much more complex people, which is a borderline moral of Fargo in general.

"This was based on a true story", eh. I can't hate it. Appreciate the nod to the series guiding light.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Turpitude posted:

The last episode was entertaining but nothing actually happened. It was entirely build up for whatever is going to go down in the next one.

I think that's just called storytelling my man.

There weren't any gun fights, but a lot happened:

Shot cop confirmed Dot's photo, in a scene confirming that "deputy dipshit is really, really bad at what he's doing" in a wonderfully show don't tell way.

We got Munch's name and backstory. He also takes up camp in some old ladies home.

Bad mother strategizes with Dave Foley now that they know Dot is a Tiger. I think they said they were going to hire security, which is gonna be a lot of extra thugs for shoot outs down the road.

Deputy dipshit is put in charge of a raid on Dots home, is possibly showing up there as is possibly Munch.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think what ya'll are identifying is the theme of the season. The Sheriff lives in his own reality where he is the law of the land, and Dot is trying to maintain living in a reality where she's just a house wife. Have actually enjoyed how poo poo both actually are at maintaining those realities – the FBI clearly has poo poo on Hamm, and his son's efforts to thwart the police have been shown largely to be a minor inconvenience. Dot's mother-in-law and the cops clearly see through Dot's efforts as well.

This was something they did brilliantly in Season 2, the best season, with Kirsten Dunst being in denial up and into the final episode.

Don't disagree in the sense that I want the husband to be let into what's actually going on, but that's clearly the tension of the season. I trust their choices on it. The dam is inevitably going to break, and it's gonna be painful.

"Pancakes."

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 6, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ChesterJT posted:

That's fine when strange things start to happen, but you've now had thugs break into their house for a second time, a shopping spree to buy multiple firearms, a house full of kevin mcallister booby traps, your wife disappearing and returning with a house and her feet covered in blood, and their house burning to the ground.

Eh, I think that's what's made this more interesting to me. Like in both her and the sheriff's case, there's plenty of evidence against them, but they're still contesting the facts. The dam breaks when something irrevocable happens. A house can be replaced. The trust of her family can't. So far, they still trust her.

The husband is basically a cartoon character, but is just as dedicated as Dot to having the dream nuclear family lifestyle. She's fighting for it, he just doesn't want to question it, cause it goes away if he does. I don't mind them drawing out the process of Dot having to face reality, because she's both failing miserably at it and justice IRL takes days/weeks. The cops and FBI have so far been shown to be fairly competent, but not speedy. Feels more realistic than a thriller movie where the cop forsakes everything else in their life to just go after one perp.

quote:

Dragging this out any further isn't tension, it's a waste of time and aggravating to most viewers who don't have patience for supreme bullshit even in a fictional tv show. The dam has already broken

Have you seen Twin Peaks / if so did you like it?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tender Bender posted:

Season 1 and 2 are generally considered the best, I think season 2 is a phenomenal crime epic. Season 3 is hit and miss with some great highs and a remarkable villain performance. Season 4 was pretty mediocre. Too early to tell on Season 5.

Agree entirely with this. Season 2 is one of the very best single-season's of tv ever made. It's just incredible.

I think 3 holds up better on a re-watch, but agree it doesn't hold a candle to 1 and 2. Regardless, even S4 has a lot of fun parts. They just don't come together, unfortunately.

Fargo hits the same way Wes Anderson films do for me in that every character is wonderfully well defined. Sometimes it's cartoony, sometimes it's just a tick. But it makes watching them interact and move around each other a blast. This season is so far pretty indicative of the brand.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

You joke but drat if that surprise S4 character return wasn't perfect.

The reveal about who a certain S2 character becomes is also so loving ridiculous that I can't help but love it.

As mentioned, these are all tantamount to easter eggs. Fun, but not distracting from the core story or requiring previous seasons to track.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Looking forward to if the Mother-in-Law changes her tone to Dorthy now that she knows the backstory. She's worried about her son foremost, but knowing who she was fleeing from and why might make her more inclined to help. Game see's game kind of thing. Or not.

Season rules. Helps a lot that for Fargo they really dialed the cast back from 20 whimsical pieces to a more manageable 10 or so.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

TraderStav posted:

Not sure how you haven't fallen in love with Lorraine. She's incredible.

Must have been such a gift to write dialog knowing how much she'd chew it up. "Chef's making boeuf bourguigngngn, with those little onions you like". It's a really fun accent.

Dave Foley is really killing it as a Consigliere. Really everyone is killing it. Good, good show.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mr. Nemo posted:

season 4 is forgettable. I remember it maybe spinning its wheels too much? It does have one very hilarious death Fat italian tripping and shooting himself right after a brotherly reconciliation

Shame too as the cliffnotes of it are fuckin' great. Setup is fantastic, rival gangs trading sons as insurance. Minority families at war. Lesbian Bonnie and Clyde. Seth Bullock returns, but as a Holy Mormon warrior. Andrew Bird, perfectly cast. Jessie Buckely as a death nurse.

Yet it's the one series that the way everything resolves misses. Chris Rock was awful - carries no weight in the performance, like say Jon Hamm in this season, Hanze in S2, or poo poo even his Consigliere who gets offed way too early. Also delivers lines so flat it takes you out of every scene he's in.

iirc just all those fantastic threads cut off at weird and unsatisfying ways. People dying unceremoniously and tragically is par for the course of Fargo, but here it really kneecaped stuff that was way more interesting than the central drama.

Certainly shrunk the cast and ambition of this season, and it's better for it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dot might win, but Fargo has a wonky karma. Generally points towards the heroes, but wobbles. Thinking Bilbo's wife in the first season, Swango's fate in the third. Hope she does.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

oh jay posted:

Chris Rock had the weirdest ending in season 4.

Everyone had a weird end in S4. Except maybe the nurse and Mike? I did like her taking Schwartzman down with her, and the "any last words?" "Can you shoot him first so I can watch?" "What?" BANG. Didn't enjoy the bulk of what they did with angel of death nurse, but did like that at least.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

iirc, the investigative daughter was the stand-in for "local good-guy cop who knows what's up by episode 3 but no one believes them" in S4. Appreciate that even when the series often has that character, the universe of the show generally has them as a very distinct exception to the rule.

Strongly suspect the FBI characters in this season are going to go the way of Key & Peele from S1. They haven't made a huge deal of it yet this season, but Roy is funding and funneling weapons to a full on militia. Would be surprised if there wasn't some sorta big shoot out in store towards the end.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think this show has handled the source material well in that respect. Most season's have multiple shots/characters directly homaged from Fargo, but it's usually not in a way that would be obvious if you haven't seen the original.

Opening it up beyond Fargo to the broader Coen Bro films has also been neat.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's way more grounded than Season 3, and a lot tighter than most seasons of Fargo. All things considered, the cast is positively tiny compared to all the factions in S2-4.

All to say, will have to see how it ends to say where it places but it's definitely a return to form and it's a great watch so far.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

RIP Foley, ya did the role well.

Love how pathetic Gator has been the whole season. He has quips, and needs the last word, but it's always short of landing and he's clearly talking down to people who are better than him in pretty much every instance. Makes him very pitiable, though you get a sense he's got what's coming to him.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

DaveKap posted:

Someone mentioned Tillman's "If you're so smart, why are you so dead" was cheezy but let's face it, Tillman being so rattled that he's delivering bad one-liners is a perfect deconstruction of the weakness this man has. I laughed at him saying it and realized, yeah, that's how un-witty a person like this would be. His only gravitas is in bible quoting.

Like I had said with Gator, I like how these two are written. Both he and his son are delivering hammy one liners like that all the time to close out conversations, clearly imagining themselves the lead in a movie about themselves. Hamm at least cuts an intimidating feature and has actual power behind him, Gator less so. They're telling on themselves every time they deliver one of these quips, and it's great.

Can't imagine the cover-up is going to work. Guy was still getting cell service when he pulled into the ranch, so it shouldn't be hard for Lorraine to pin-point that's where he disappeared. + the two main cops this season have been well in touch with eachother so I'm sure they'll know where he went.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I gave up on Yellowstone a bit. Bad crime families make for great tv *gestures towards this thread* but I need that media to either be trashy fun or be self aware.

Yellowstone felt like it wanted to be Succession, but it couldn't commit to the family being irredeemable. It'd be like if this season of Fargo had had multiple scenes of Jon Hamm crying over losing Nadine, or had a flashback where he was abused by a woman in his youth. Stuff to make you sympathize with Tillman. Murder and violence are bad-rear end and an effective way to solve problems. Temper tantrums are cool. It's just... kind of ugly.

Is 100% propaganda for that kind of lifestyle, either intentionally or (worse) unintentionally.

This season really does come off as a more realistic version of it, where the ranchers think they're doing these cool things but everyone is leaving going "what a dick" and clearly sees right through them.

quote:

John sat with ****** as he lay dying. ****** kept silent for a while as John explained that this was his last chance to "make it into heaven" by doing one last good deed, giving his word he would send for his chopper to take ****** to a hospital. Eventually, a dying ****** relents and tells John. John offers his chopper but ****** refuses, knowing he wouldn't make it since the chopper was 20 minutes out. John asked him if he wanted company or to die alone and ****** chose to die alone. As John started walking away, ****** gasped out a few last words back to him. He said "I wish I had never met you" and John responded with "I bet you do" before leaving him to die.

This is exactly how this poo poo plays out in Tillman's mind.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 4, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Finally hit the incredible Jeff Russo cover of the season. He's been scoring with Noah since S1 and did all of Legion, and the pop song covers are some of the best.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7i32pPA4dxzFn0IDb9VvrY?si=a5309670b93d4d75

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Say what you want about Brittney Spears, but her catalog is a wealth of well written pop music. Covers of her stuff generally slaps.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dave Foley appreciation post
Shortly after Kids n' the Hall, Foley wrote and starred in a comedy film called "The Wrong Guy". Seems like it was sabotaged from the start by not getting a wide release, and to this day is one of those "can't even rent on amazon or other streaming services" kinda movies. While not a holy grail find, it's loving hilarious and a really fun watch. Kind of like Mr.Bean meets early Simpson's.

Whole things just been sitting on Youtube for eleven years, and now you, YES YOU, can and should check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fab89eIgswc&t=1s

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

All timer music sting in this episode, god drat. Laughing my rear end off.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If there was a point to you it's gone now

ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Munch is great.

Just really want Dorothy to survive this season, drat.