Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
This season is still bad but that last episode was a nice change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mullitt posted:

I’d have to disagree, since we just spent an entire episode setting up the tragic backstory from everyone’s favorite criminal from season 2.

Do we have any actual evidence of that yet or is it just you assuming?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mullitt posted:

I’m sure the Fargo universe is crawling with black kids adopted by Irish guys with the last name Milligan from Kansas City, MO who would be in their 30s/early 40s in 1979 and affiliated with the mob.

Sorry, my encyclopedia on older season fargo characters is temporarily out of reach. I should have remembered his assumed age and "adopted irish dad" storyline from 5 years ago.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Turpitude posted:

And then during the start of this episode they play some wretched version of "I Got You Babe" that I guess was supposed to set the tone of things being weird but once again I feel did not vibe at all with what was going on

It's Tiny Tim you luddite, and it was awesome.

I love watching Dot gently caress poo poo up but it's kind of getting old that she can clearly kill these people but is going out of her way not to do it. Also that she refuses to tell her husband or the cops anything, especially at this point. I don't mind minnesota nice but this is just starting to become minnesota stupid in service of dragging out plot Lost-style.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 6, 2023

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Don't disagree in the sense that I want the husband to be let into what's actually going on, but that's clearly the tension of the season. I trust their choices on it. The dam is inevitably going to break, and it's gonna be painful.

That's fine when strange things start to happen, but you've now had thugs break into their house for a second time, a shopping spree to buy multiple firearms, a house full of kevin mcallister booby traps, your wife disappearing and returning with a house and her feet covered in blood, and their house burning to the ground. Dragging this out any further isn't tension, it's a waste of time and aggravating to most viewers who don't have patience for supreme bullshit even in a fictional tv show. The dam has already broken.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Have you seen Twin Peaks / if so did you like it?

I did and I did, but I don't think it's a good comparison because of how surreal that show was. Fargo goes out there sometimes, like with the sin eater, but watching Twin Peaks was like a prolonged acid trip. You're just there for the spectacle.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Danger posted:

Calling Twin Peaks mere spectacle is a helluva take

That's not exactly what I said, but were you really invested in the hard hitting procedural detective work to figure out who killed Laura Palmer?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

DaveKap posted:

I've wondered what Wayne's father is like and seeing that he's just a drunk manchild explains exactly how Wayne got the way he did. It took until the "how we're alike" speech to realize why they held off showing him for so long.

He was in the first episode of the season.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Why wouldn't that still have been her plan?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

The maga/trump poo poo is super cringy but I'm still loving this season. Munch is the loving best.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

They may be leaning into it a smidge hard, but I think it's only cringy because it's still so fresh to the point that it's ongoing.

Yeah that's where I'm at. I'm just sick of anything to do with Trump. The people who hate him and can't stop mentioning him daily are just as obnoxious as the people out protesting on his behalf saying he's the second coming. I'd rather just not hear his name or anything about him and Hawley is using a show I really like to take dumb jabs at him to score lowest common denominator points I guess because I don't find the inclusion useful to the story or meaningful in any way. I don't expect everyone to feel the same though and everything is so good it's more of a minor annoyance than anything.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Nameless Pete posted:

Do you find it inauthentic or do you just want to pretend it never happened?

Not sure how you came up with those two options, and it's unclear what you even mean by option B, but my answer would be neither. I don't know if inauthentic is the right word, but the show is just doing a caricature that I don't find interesting are useful, that's all. I hate when politics saturates things because modern politics is such a cesspool of stupidity I do my best to avoid it at all costs.

DaveWoo posted:

I will accept Trump showing up in person in the next episode but only if he is played by Bruce Campbell.

That would be amazing, but anything done by Bruce would be amazing.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 11, 2024

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Nameless Pete posted:

This here is what I meant by "pretending it never happened." We will be talking about Donald Trump for the rest of our lives because he was president of the United States and he may yet be again.

"Politics" is unavoidable, especially in art. It's like getting annoyed that the show reminds you about how you're going to die. Yeah, it really sucks to think about, but you'd best start coming to terms.

You don't seem to understand what those words mean. There's a clear difference in pretending it never happened and not wanting to talk about it. Nobody has to "come to terms" with anything, and it's rather ignorant to assume someone must do so. Will you die? Yes. Do you have to spend even one second of your life thinking about it? Absolutely not. That's not pretending it won't happen. That's choosing to live your life not worrying about something you can't change. Maybe that's a philosophical argument for another time and place.

This is a great take, however you can't deny they did take the lowbrow cheeto Trump joke. I guess that's my point about political comedy/satire. There's a very smart way to do it and very few people in hollywood know what that is so I try to avoid it. I think this season could have made it's point without pulling out the club for a smack over the head this late in the season.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 12, 2024

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

The "nightmare sheriff who is a feudal lord" is not a naturally occuring phenomenon, it's something this hosed up country enables.

OK Varga, then where are they? The closest thing we've had is Joe Arpaio and he became sheriff when Clinton was president.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 13, 2024

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah really surprised to see the other guy say 1 was his last favorite. Madness!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Go in with lowered expectations and you'll probably be fine. Chris Rock never works, unfortunately. But there's some goodies sprinkles amongst the mess.

I'm rewatching it now and there's so many great characters. Tim Olyphant is genius, the nervous cop, nurse Oraetta, the jailbird couple, Salvatore Esposito playing an absolute loving maniac. Alas... Chris Rock, bleh.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

tl;dr, Fargo is not a show that glorifies violence.

You haven't been watching the same five seasons of TV that I have.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

How many characters in those five seasons end up in a better place after making the choice of violence?

That's a unique set of goalposts you have there.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

a piece of media making you root for and somewhat like a villainous monster is pretty common. they do it a bunch of times in previous seasons of Fargo alone

Hell by the end I wanted a whole season of Munch killing people and telling them about A Man. Or just eating pancakes.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Doltos posted:

I didn't think Munch was going to do anything to Dot at the beginning of the scene. The action already felt deflated by that point and I don't think there was much of a thematic reason for him to kill her outside of a pessimistic view on the world.

He absolutely was and the deflated action was the entire point and source of the tension. You thought everything was over and settled, time for the happy family to get their happy ending, and then there's Munch. I wouldn't call it pessimism, a man has a code.

My wife had never seen any season so we just finished a watch through of all five last night, starting a few weeks ago. She was really sad that Witt died and absolutely hated Gator. He was just such an iconic "love to hate" characte. So many great touches like the vape. Her favorite to least seasons list is 1>5>2>4>3. She liked them all but said 3 was complete garbage.

The Grumbles posted:

Witt is absolutely terrified in that scene.

Exactly. Witt died because of fear. Danish died because of a lack of it.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 28, 2024

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

That's quite the fan-fiction you've created.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

There’s also no levity at all. Everything about it is completely serious the entire time, except the aforementioned bathroom sounds which weren’t serious but were bad.

Tim Olyphant is pretty drat funny in that season. Jason Schwartzman has some funny scenes as well.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

On purpose I'd say. We don't really need to see it and there were a lot more important scenes to be had with real character development.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

sealed packs of cigarettes

Would it be OK if they were unsealed?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I can see what the show was doing but giving her a redemption arc, as you phrase it, isn't something I like.

But I think this argument has been litigated ad nauseam by this point.

Then instead of repeating yourself ad nauseam why not explain why you don't like it? Why be so simple that bad people must always be bad and characters can't change and grow?

They're not trying to say "nevermind that other stuff, she's a good person now!". But if characters never have any growth what's the point of the show then?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 1, 2024