Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So far I've only seen the first episode, and I was enjoying it if a little underwhelmed right up until the last 5-10 minutes which I loved and left me really intrigued to see how they follow it up. The first 2 seasons of Fargo were exceptional and the third was solid if not feeling entirely cohesive, so I have high hopes that this season is a return to form. Especially since Hawley isn't spreading himself thin doing Legion at the same time anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaetano is amazing, he just completely draws all the attention in the room onto himself and you can see how his brother must resent that despite being the older brother and the boss.

Really enjoyed the first three episodes, though I do agree the cast is a bit too big and will benefit when the various plotlines start converging.

Also I absolutely loved Doctor Senator telling the story about being at Nuremberg, and the line,"Our word is as good as yours."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, feel like the show is starting to come together really nicely, and I love how loving beautifully shot it is. That said, there were a couple of surprising clunky edits that felt quite odd, like Ethelrida's letter/envelope near the start - going from three pieces of paper she was writing on to closing up the envelope all in the space of a single head-turn.

I'm also absolutely terrified for Thurman. I was begging him to get the gently caress out of the house after he handed over the money, and praying that Cannon wouldn't sniff the money afterwards even though I knew he would.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poo poo, I was hoping Doctor Senator would make it through the series, or at least the greater bulk of it :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm really enjoying Chris Rock, I especially liked the scene between him and Odis during the raid where he kept his cool but was still able to demonstrate his power/knowledge and just how strong his position actually is that he - a black man in the 1950s - is able to effectively talk poo poo to a cop with a gun on him. I love how it is counterparted with him blowing his stack at home with his family and having to scream and yell to get his way.

Also that entire scene with Calamita trying to intimidate Doctor Senator, all I could think was that beautiful scene from earlier in the season where Senator talks about spending six weeks with Goebbels, and how the likes of Calamita and Gaetano must seem like complete jokes in comparison. Ironically, if either of them had listened to Violante they might have known that this whole gambit was going to go nowhere fast. That's another aspect I'm enjoying about this season, in a kind of quasi-Elmore Leonard way: I have always loved crime stories where characters aren't as smart as they think they are but also aren't quite as dumb as other characters think they are either. Gaetano is stupid and reckless but also very dangerous and shows that he can think or at least put on a show of restraint when necessary. Rabbi is humble and downtrodden but also seems to have a deeper game running based on survival at all costs. Josto is a weird little man with an inferiority complex but also understands when to get violent and when to take a step back or be more calculating. None of them are as clever as they think they are, but all of them have some deeper reserve of talent/intelligence/skill that others underestimate, and it makes it really fascinating when characters start bouncing off each other, especially now that the subplots are really strongly tying together after the first few introductory episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I kinda love how Gaetano is a gigantic gently caress-up despite thinking that he's the real Boss and tough guy who just knows how to get things done. Every single thing he does is stupid and reckless and fucks up everything but he keeps on thinking he's the real deal who should be running things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really dug that episode, the contrasting strategies of Loy and Josto I'm really getting into, and seeing them try to manipulate others to achieve their goals has been a treat. I also dug that the nurse's weird faces right at the start of the episode turned out to be her practicing for the look she'd need to make when she left the office. At first I thought her actress was just kind of overacting a bit. The last 2-3 episodes have been really good, and I think I'm gonna really enjoy this season even more on rewatch since I spent too much time in the first few episodes trying to keep the large cast sorted in my head.

The shot of Loy outside the bathroom with the skipping rope was creepy as poo poo, it actually gave me a real The Shining vibe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Catching up on the last two episodes, I'm loving this season more and more, I'd put it well above season 3 right now and close to season 1, though it doesn't touch season 2 which is my all time favorite.

I really, really, really should have seen the Wizard of Oz bit coming, I feel like a moron for not figuring out it was going to happen. The whole bit with the billboard and the mildly philosophical musings of the guy putting it up was just wonderfully handled.

I think the biggest issue with this season is that the first few episodes are all about the viewer getting to grips with the extremely large cast and various subplots, but as they've whittled down and I've become more familiar with the characters the quality of the season has just risen and risen and risen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I recall correctly, Joe Bulo was Milligan's mentor, right? A younger version of Bulo showed up a couple of episodes ago so I'm wondering how these two are going to come into contact.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

I feel like delivering their father's killer would have been more effective of a peace talk catalyst before Cannon, you know, brought in a bunch of Fargo goons who killed their mother.

Josto has to keep up the pretence that he Calamita killed Loy's son though, so even if it might rankle he can't claim any kind of moral high ground here - loved ones have been killed on both sides and now Loy may be bringing him something of immense value: the identity of a 3rd party unrelated to any of them (except Josto himself, though nobody knows that) who murdered Josto's father. Given how much New York apparently wants them to settle this bullshit and move on, it gives Loy some serious leverage at a time he really needs it. Though there's still the matter of Leon and his Uncle for Loy to deal with too.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 26, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Josto doesn’t have a son, Zero is his brother. I think he’s still in the hands of Chris Rock and them.

Yeah, Loy ALMOST killed him, there's that kind of terrifying, almost Shining-like scene where he's waiting outside the bathroom to murder him and in the end he can't bring himself to do it.

ruddiger posted:

Was Gaetano’s last scene a reference to another Coen bros movies? The only time I ever saw that happen to someone was in Out Of Sight, but I don’t think that had a Coen connection.

Not a direct 1:1 but in Intolerable Cruelty, a terrifying assassin with asthma gets blinded and accidentally picks up his gun thinking it is his inhaler and... welp.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Moltke posted:

If this is the route they go then the ending is completely unearned. At no point was any significance attached to the Don's ring on the show. No one even noticed it went missing for pete's sake.

If I recall right, there's a scene after his death where the mother angrily accuses either Josto or Gaetano of stealing the ring from their dead father which leaves them both completely confused.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man I really loved the back half of the season and felt it was building nicely to the climax and then the final episode just... wasn't all that great. Still some great individual moments/scenes, but nothing really came together in a particularly satisfying way. As mentioned earlier, Ethelrida really got the short end of the stick, her and her parents were really interesting characters and they were treated almost entirely as an afterthought in this episode.

Still, I'd say the season was worth it for how pretty it was, as well as that fantastic road-trip episode with Rabbi and Satchel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remember the motorcycle cop who you could have removed entirely from the season and it literally would have made absolutely no difference whatsoever?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beamed posted:

actually he was a Mormon in this

Ol' Deafy was a character who actually enriched scenes he was in at least!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait holy poo poo she was the wife of the fireman? :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got more of a Raising Arizona vibe from the prison escape myself, which reminds me that I loving love Raising Arizona and should go rewatch it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

th3t00t posted:

I’ve never seen Raising Arizona. I should fix that.

Oh absolutely you should, it's great. Don't be tricked by seeing that Nicolas Cage is in it, it's from a long time ago when Nicolas Cage being in a movie was an unmistakable sign of high quality.

:sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love Jon Hamm, so please be good, for his sake!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm only one episode in but so far it's drat good stuff. Really hoping it manages to keep up the quality.

The dream (memory?) of Jon Hamm's character leading the prayer at the table in front of that warped barn was deeply, deeply unsettling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow this season is a huge step up already. The air horn was funny as hell

The dude (who was terrifying) not even flinching as he just blew the poor bastard away was hilarious (and horrible!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man, I hope it keeps this quality up, the first two episodes have been great and they're already set the scene for a lot of fantastic potential character interactions.

The scene between Dot and Lorraine in the kitchen was fantastic, and I loved every single moment with Jon Hamm.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Sheriff Morals' son seems like a bad Justified goon. This is not a bad thing.

Love that he keeps eating poo poo, it's amazing how quickly I hated him once he appeared on screen :allears:

Also thought it hilarious how unimpressed the state trooper and the cop were by him trying to leave with a badass line. He so clearly thinks he's a tough guy and appears to be completely unaware that the only reason anybody might fear him or respect his authority is because of his dad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In regards to the photo, I assume Deputy Dipshit probably thought the delay in getting the ID made would allow him the time to "easily" capture Dot. He was still convinced the original kidnapper was a loser despite the fact he managed to escape a near point blank execution attempt while surrounded on all sides. He strikes me as one of those guys who is utterly convinced he's an accomplished badass despite having nothing to back that up at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife didn't recognize that Deputy Gator (he even sounds like a Justified jobber) was Steve from Stranger Things.

Oh holy poo poo, neither did I. So sad to see a single mom turn bad like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh they know the Matrix! It's that weird movie from a couple of years ago with the guy from How I Met Your Mother?

And you angrily tell them no, it's that weird movie from a couple of years ago with Doogie Howser! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Das Boo posted:

One of the comments is bitching about them "gender-swapping a girl."
It's true, I wore a suit once in 4th grade and I've been a guy ever since.

Imagine watching that scene and thinking,"Yes, the grandmother is clearly the good and right person here, this is the intended and expected interpretation of what I am watching."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn, this season is really loving good so far. :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Das Boo posted:

E: Oh, and The Shining music made me smile.

Haha yeah, that kinda caught me off-guard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just finished E3 and what the gently caress just happened? (Serious question- what was Munch 1522 eating?)

He's a Sin Eater, it was bread and wine (and I think a few other little additions?). The idea was you paid a poor (and likely starving) person money to "eat" the sins of some rich gently caress, then the rich gently caress got to go to heaven for all eternity and live in bliss in paradise while the Sin Eater suffered and was ostracized because now they were the ones responsible for all the bad things the rich gently caress had done, and their soul was stained because of it.

Edit: Beaten like Gator needs to be (more)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man, this season is REALLY delivering so far, great episode. "Pancakes."

timp posted:

I agree that it's clear that Dot wouldn't want to touch that, but what about Wayne? Wouldn't it be a quick, easy connection for him? Wife wants guns, mother has guns, why not ask mother for guns? His character has already been established as one who goes to him mom for help with things above his paygrade.

Like I said, it's a totally ignorable detail that honestly didn't even occur to me until after watching the episode, but it feels like a missed connection that could have been assuaged in 2 lines of dialogue. Chekhov's Assault Rifles gone untouched, if you will.

From what I recall the guns themselves weren't even something that Lorraine actually has or cares about, she said that "this year" was about projecting strength, so I'm pretty sure they're just straight up props or just something brought in for the photoshoot and then taken away, not that she has her own personal arsenal in the mansion or anything. I do expect the photo itself and Dot holding a gun is going to end up having some relevance though.

Also just when I thought Lorraine couldn't be worse we find out in the latest episode that her (most recent) wealth is based on being a parasite collecting debt even credit companies have given up on.

There's something wonderfully meta about Jon Hamm getting to deliver a line about betas and alphas given how often people completely missed the point and would refer to Don Draper as an "alpha male" as opposed to a desperately insecure, hosed up dude. Plus the shot of him riding away into the sunrise(?) like he was some old timey Western hero as opposed to the type of crimelord that the hero in those films would end up having to kill.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You want power without responsibility, but there's only one person who has that."
"The President :hmmyes:"
"A baby. You want the freedom to be a baby."

Absolutely loving savage, hell yes.

Everything coming together really hammered home that sense of the walls closing in, with the speech about seeing the cage plus the narration on the tiger really added to the sense of desperation. Fantastic episode.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 13, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's not universal but I'm sure I've heard before that there are some shows where the "NEXT TIME!" preview is made with no input from the production team at all. Whether that's the channel it is airing on or some poor assistant got tasked with putting together 10 30-second clips for each upcoming episode I don't know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not watching the Fargo previews but this conversation made me fondly recall the ridiculously obtuse next time on Mad Men spots.

I never saw those but I understand they were amazing things like a single shot of a door being slammed shut or something? :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 3 and 4 have their moments but for me they'd lost the magic that Season 1 and (especially) Season 2 had, and 4 in particular kind of never really goes anywhere or achieves much of anything, and not in an entertaining "Burn After Reading" way. Season 5 so far feels about on par with Season 1 to me, and I really hope they can stick the landing because so far it's just been great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of Season 3, but I did think seeing Gloria and Varga setting across from each other, both laying out their philosophy of what the world is was a very good scene, especially as the show doesn't come down on one side or the other but leaves you to consider which you think is more likely (or, perhaps, more hoped for).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great episode, those final few moments were a hell of a gut punch.

DaveKap posted:

Thing I'll take away from this season and never forget: The way Munch approaches wonder boy.
https://i.imgur.com/aVo8uUB.mp4

Yeah, pure animal, deeply unsettling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oh jay posted:

Wayne gets shot in the head while grabbing Jello.

Walks back to the table, eats his jello, has a charming conversation with his wife and child, goes to bed, gets up the next day and goes to work, eventually dies.... 45 years later in bed surrounded by family.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have just gotten caught back up after Christmas, I was a little down on the Camp Utopia episode but the last two episodes pulled me right back in, the whole cast is great but Jennifer Jason Leigh, John Hamm and Juno Temple are all killing it.

"No daughter of mine..." :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God what a beautiful ending. I love that you can equally see the offer of bread as simple humanity finally reaching Munch, as well as it being a rather literal communion that offers redemption as a counter to the hosed up "morality" of the initial sin-eating to allow a rich person to go to heaven despite being a terrible person. I really dug that the only other time he suggests being happy or at peace came during the brief time that he was in a place where the Church hadn't really reached yet.

In regards to Lorraine, I'm of two minds in that apart from coming to a better place of understanding with her daughter-in-law she's still a monstrous, horrible predator preying on the poor and helpless... but on the other hand there is a savage satisfaction to be had from her as a woman and a powerful person forcing Roy to suffer in the same way that he made Linda and Nadine (and yes, his last wife too) suffer. It goes back to the final sequence with Munch and Dot pretty well, you have a choice whether to make people pay for their sins or to move on, and it makes sense that Lorraine would go one way and Dot (and, as a result, Munch) another.

What a great season, a true return to form and up there with Season 1 (Season 2 remains the gold standard) as just an excellent season of television. So great to see Jon Hamm getting his teeth into a great character/performance again.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 17, 2024