Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mary had a little clam posted:

Finally, a thread!

S4 isn't quiiiite hitting me right off the bat like S2 or even S3, but I'm always a sucker for a twisty kooky crime thriller and I'm still enjoying my time. One of the characters I'm slowly growing fond of is Gaetano, the big Italian brother. He's got such a strange... way... about him. They make him really goofy and yet, he feels extremely dangerous. I think that's one of my favorite "Coenisms", making people both silly and tense.

I was also laughing my rear end off at the sheriff using the lord's name in vain around the Mormon U.S. Marshall. I know that's a cheap joke, but I'm a cheap man.

If you want to see Gaetano's actor play a more serious role, check out the incredible series Gamorra. He has a moment between Season 1 and 2 that was incredible. He's really over-acting in Fargo and it's a bit jarring after seeing his other work. Still all-in as Fargo has always leaned hard into caricatures.

That show is worth every subtitle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fartington Butts posted:

This is a hella good take that I never even considered. It explains why every time Oraetta encounters Ethelrida (I had to look up this name) she makes a disparaging remark about her.

The names on this show are insane. No wonder I can't remember any of them.

Mods rename me Doctor Senator.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

poo poo, I was hoping Doctor Senator would make it through the series, or at least the greater bulk of it :smith:

Yeah, that's a big loss. On the other hand Chris Rock's line about getting a 'mmmhmmm' was perfection.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also greatly enjoying this season so far. Watched the episodes days ago and still thinking about them. Really compelling stuff.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Welp, going to need to think that episode through quite a bit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jehde posted:

It's not a plot hole at all when it's painfully obvious that she doesn't own or use those small calibre sporting rifles for anything. They're just props some local firearm manufacture has the local politician promote, made obvious with how they're brought in and fitted to the portrait.

She has a security detail, not a collection of colourful sport rifles. Dot is trying to convince her mother-in-law that she's not a danger that requires a security detail, she's hiding her dangerous past from her.

Yeah, agree with this, even without the first paragraph. Doesn't need to be explicitly stated to hit home that approaching her MIL for such a VERY out-of-character request would be something that she would like to avoid, especially since she believes there's an easier path in just acquiring them herself.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The reveal about who a certain S2 character becomes is also so loving ridiculous that I can't help but love it.

It's been so long since I've seen the season, mind refreshing my memory who you're referring to?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

"head in a bag. there's the message."

Hanzee has his face hosed up, gets plastic surgery, becomes the crime boss you see in the Chinese restaurant that gets killed by Malvo later.

I had a feeling it was them, thank you for the reminder!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Show is sooo good.

Jennifer Jason Leigh is a national treasure.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nameless Pete posted:

"What I want to know is are you going to look for her or are going to sit drinking coffee in the one house in the state where I know that girl ain't at."

Not just the "ain't," but ending a sentence with a preposition as a deliberate power move.

Irony being that is the house she was at.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Shitenshi posted:

Literally can't figure out who I want to kill more, Lorraine or Roy.

Not sure how you haven't fallen in love with Lorraine. She's incredible.

Roy is easily the one who should die.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jehde posted:

Was not expecting to get one let alone two masterpieces of puppet-driven backstory episodes in TV this year. (The other being "The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride" from Blue Eye Samurai)

Also Juno Temple has been great from go, pepper spraying a cop, but she really ran a gamut in this episode.

She really has been great and smart on her for picking a high profile role to demostrate her range after Ted Lasso. I admit I pigeonholed her a bit of a one note ditz based on that show alone and am not eating my hat, she's killing it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hell of an episode.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm still left scratching my head why Dot ran off in the first place a few episodes ago. She believed Linda was alive and was seeking her out? The blend of the dream sequence and reality is blurring for me and can't sort it out as how would she have any idea where to even start looking for Linda, let alone come up with that entire world she 'visited' BEFORE doing so.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Still not sure why Foley stupidly walked into the ranch alone, hopefully we will understand more in the coming episodes but it was really out of character and dumb with the information we have now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I wonder if Danish called Lorraine after all, but instead of speaking, he had the call in progress in his pocket throughout his confrontation in Roy's office. That way, Lorraine would have proof from Roy's own voice that he kidnapped Dot and possibly hurts or kills Danish.

Plausible take, although a bit stretched. Seen him as loyal but go to his death loyal? Unless he didn't expect to die and thought he would be clever enough to talk out of the situation.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I was hoping there would be a Ferguson cameo.

Ferguson? Of the Turd variety? Had me thinking that with the big hats when you mentioned it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

PizzaProwler posted:

Winston's cat in 'New Girl'

Ah, never seen the show. The SNL reference works as well with a guy in an oversized cowboy hat behind a podium and all that...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I just hope this ends like at the end of season 2 of Justified where Gator plays the role of Dickie Bennett watching his cop brother die in front of him
L

Ehh, Gator ain't watching poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

thehoodie posted:

name a colder line. :drat:

"I don't even think about you."

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Okuteru posted:

You had January 6 rioters IRL plead to Trump on Twitter and in court about getting their charges pardoned.

Hamfisted, yes. But totally in line.

The webcast chat had some fun comments on the side.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Still scratching my head why Dot left the gun outside the burial site. I think hiding in there with a lock on the outside (which I thought was absolutely going to be a nightmare scenario with her locked in there forever) was a bad idea on its own, but that one is strange. I suppose chalk it up to human mistakes and characters not being perfect robots, doing everything correctly? Other than that, feels like someone should have gotten fired over that blunder.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

f#a# posted:

Regarding Linda, my read on the situation was that Dot fell asleep at the wheel prior to arriving at the gas station, and the wrapping "wakeup" of the pancake and semi truck crash was in fact still a dream, but I'm still unclear on where she was actually trying to go.

Also worth noting that she was turned onto Camp Utopia by unearthing a box by a windmill, which one episode later is all but confirmed to be where Linda is buried.

My only other quibble with this season so far is that they haven't shown how Dot managed to become such a MacGuyver-esque tiger. I mean I guess it's fine to say "resourcefulness due to traumatic abuse," but I feel there's some justification missing there.

I think it's inferred that those who live on that ranch work on particular sets of unique skills that get you there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What a loving masterpiece.

Juno Temple absolutely amazing

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

After talking about how eating sin cursed him with eternal life, I was half expecting Munch to shrivel up like that nazi at the end of Indiana Jones when he ate the biscuit

100% with you my friend.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

This was by far the worst season of Fargo, I hope they stop with this one.

New season of greys anatomy drops in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

That tap at the end is art.