Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I found out yesterday that coinbase has 1200 employees. Zynga famously had a press release that got everyone to say "Zynga has almost 3000 employees?". The Knot has 780 employees, mostly developers.

I don't know poo poo about developing with large teams and even less about tech companies but I do know that if you have revenues of $160mm and 780 mostly developer employees, that seems like a large reason you only had a profit of <1%. Which is probably fine if you're in growth mode, but is The Knot, a company that has been around for 25 years, really going to hockey stick?

Anyway, counter examples of WhatsApp, Instagram, etc. all abound although I can think of reasons why those companies were able to seemingly do a lot with few employees. So please tell me why I'm shocked by these numbers vs. output because I don't understand what it takes to make a real product or because our fiat currency is pumping up tech valuations or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

put this in the tech bubble thread

you;'ll probably get a response about
- government treasury yields are at an all time low due to a very greedy corrupt admin and a bunch of catastrophes happening at the same time
- software has a very low cost of replication after it is made
- you can have a great product but that doesn't mean people will want it or pay for it
- growth is more valued than profit margins

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Hed posted:

I found out yesterday that coinbase has 1200 employees. Zynga famously had a press release that got everyone to say "Zynga has almost 3000 employees?". The Knot has 780 employees, mostly developers.

I don't know poo poo about developing with large teams and even less about tech companies but I do know that if you have revenues of $160mm and 780 mostly developer employees, that seems like a large reason you only had a profit of <1%. Which is probably fine if you're in growth mode, but is The Knot, a company that has been around for 25 years, really going to hockey stick?

Anyway, counter examples of WhatsApp, Instagram, etc. all abound although I can think of reasons why those companies were able to seemingly do a lot with few employees. So please tell me why I'm shocked by these numbers vs. output because I don't understand what it takes to make a real product or because our fiat currency is pumping up tech valuations or whatever.

we do over $1b in bluetooth and wifi speaker and headphone sales per year, around 100 new models per year, and we have 5 ui designers, probably about 25-30 sw developers, and 25-30 qa people. so, that’s how much it takes.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 21, 2020

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

computer took mur jerb

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If your business model is "get acquired by some big company mostly as an acquihire" then the more employees you have the more you'll get paid when it happens

Eg the "standard" buyout price is ~1 million dollars per engineer. Which means if you expect to get bought out in the next 3-4 years or so you can easily hire some new grads, have them do essentially nothing, then turn a profit

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
ShadowHawk I think you win this one. or maybe you were underestimating in the case of an IPO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

we do over $1b in bluetooth and wifi speaker and headphone sales per year, around 100 new models per year, and we have 5 ui designers, probably about 25-30 sw developers, and 25-30 qa people. so, that’s how much it takes.

oh and I never responded to this one but did enjoy it because it sounds the most realistic. thank u