Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Problem description:
I have an old Toshiba Qosmios x875 laptop that had a bad A/C adapter and dead CMOS adapter (type that is soldered onto the board).

I replaced the A/C adapter and installed an SSD and it worked well, long enough to install Windows and a bunch of apps, and I left it overnight to do updates. The laptop battery held the BIOS settings so I wasn't concerned with replacing a CMOS battery anyways.

The next day the laptop would no longer charge from this brand new adapter. Whenever I plugged the adapter in it would trip and no longer supply power. Testing with my voltmeter, I could unplug it from the wall and then reconnect it and it would show 19.5v again, but the second I tried to plug it into the laptop I would hear a pop and the A/C was no longer supplying power. I noticed the female pins in the A/C were also blackened.

Attempted fixes:
I purchased a new DC jack in case something was fried, but that didn't solve it. The CMOS battery was corroded and the connected broken so I completely removed it from the board in case something was shorting.

Recent changes:
Replaced bad A/C and installed SSD. Installed windows and updated. No other major changes prior to the issue.

Operating system:
Win10 Home

System specs:
This guy: https://www.newegg.com/black-widow-styling-in-diamond-textured-aluminum-toshiba-qosmio-x875-q7380-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834216022

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Your laptop battery itself could be dead. Some of these laptops are configured not to run when they have a bad battery, forcing the user to go out and purchase a replacement. When you say the system isn't working, you mean it won't charge or won't boot? Try pulling out the battery (leaving the laptop battery out completely), plugging in the AC adapter, and booting. If it goes then I'd guess that's your answer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turns out the new adapter I got just went bad. Got a second from the vendor and all is well.