Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Barudak posted:

We all say this and then you find that one fashion take thats laser targeted to upset you such as "what if you were a giant but your mom remarried to a normal human and you now have to inherit your older stepbrothers hand me downs which would be fine if he didn't think Scarlett O'Hara wearing a curtain was a lifestyle?"

I, too, am familiar with Chinese street fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone with content featured on the front page should get a dollar for their shitposting efforts.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the front page should primarily be a showcase of forums content. i don't have the desire to read Long Form Comedy any more, and there are ten billion places to do it now. picking some authors and deciding SA's front page off of them doesn't really reflect the reason anyone comes here any more.

curated stuff from photoshop threads to "look at this weird diary I found" to juicy bans and drama would be great

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hm, perhaps a way to put the big informative effortpost OPs on the frontpage, with the subsequent thread discussion behind the paywall? New people browsing around and stumbling on this place see the initial impression of humorous and irreverent but meticulously thorough and helpful forum culture, buy an account to follow the discourse, and only after the check clears do they see all the bickering and shitposting.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
After looking at the front page again can we please have a mobile friendly layout

I don’t care if it’s blingee goatse just make it responsive

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bonaventure posted:

more apologies to perverts

Unrelated, but what's your avatar from? And also, didn't you used to have a custom title that mentioned something about "that dead wife of yours"? I remember finding one of the two, or both, in the wild and having a weird sense of déjà vu from seeing them on here.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

A single jpeg featuring a barren desert. A stone pedestal lies half buried in the sand. The beginning of a mostly eroded inscription on the pedestal can just barely be read.

"My name is Lowtax, Forum King of Kings..."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bonaventure posted:

more apologies to perverts

I'm sorry, Bonaventure.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Every good front page contains your mission statement, goals, and why you want to work for this company op

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

i don't have the desire to read Long Form Comedy any more, and there are ten billion places to do it now.

Such as? A lot of online comedy publications have gone dark in the last few years.

I think we could still put out some top-notch original comedy articles of all kinds, and video and animations and a lot more, if it was supported even a little bit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Such as? A lot of online comedy publications have gone dark in the last few years.

I think we could still put out some top-notch original comedy articles of all kinds, and video and animations and a lot more, if it was supported even a little bit.

Yeah, it's not mutually exclusive as long as we unfuck the interface.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tace Vim posted:

more Photoshop Phridays

yeah just make it a showcase for what comes outta good threads

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Just postin' to say i like this kinda discussion and i hope jeffrey listens to d. "CTS" farrell's suggestions and also reads this thread one day.

I read the front page for like 15 years before registering and you motherfuckers got me by attrition. I for one think CTS's suggestion of regular prominent forums "best of" articles makes more sense than trying to do some hybridized poor mans reddit forum content aggregator or some poo poo. Just let the front page be human made.

This site is in the insane position of having a dedicated, invested, small but in the four or five figures, user base from which to survive. The business case here is keeping the forums good and lively and keeping people spending money there - I dunno about ad revenue but it's certainly not the only (or main?) source. Everybody else trying to publish funny stuff online has to start from gently caress all and has to do automated content harvesting dreck to drive clicks to get investment or ad revenue. That poo poo is why everyone hates the internet now. Even if your content is good it's hugely hamstrung by having to fit that model.

This place is a unique opportunity to have a human made comedy site without being completely stuck in that model, funded by univision and run into the ground or some poo poo. It is no coincidence that this point of difference of not being an automated upvote infinitely scaled hellhole is also why people like the forums.

Highlighting the forums on the front page could be as easy as running the old "what threads are hot" suggestions thread so you're not just depending on your editors to find the good stuff. But I like original short form comedy writing/visual/whatever too. An entirely crowd-sourced front page would be a turnoff for some if that's all there was to see.

Still it could use a big cleanup/reformat and i, a non web guy, believe that could be a ball ache on its own. So what's feasible is up to jeffrey in the end.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Grraarrgghh posted:

Throw money at @Arr so we can get more of the good poo poo.

Motherfuckers keep talking about bringing back FashionSWAT. Dr. David Thorpe is still literally on Twitter and a few taps away @Arr.

Idk why he left but maybe someone should ask?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

This thread where everyone just replaced words with flan would make a fantastic regular column and I'm not just saying that because I've spent an hour of my life thinking up places to fit the word flan

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943964&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

benitocereno posted:

Every good front page contains your mission statement, goals, and why you want to work for this company op
And an "About Us".
Which should be a complete revisionist history of something awful including edited photographs like the Soviet photos that erased astronauts that died in the space program.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
A wiki.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Grraarrgghh posted:

Motherfuckers keep talking about bringing back FashionSWAT. Dr. David Thorpe is still literally on Twitter and a few taps away @Arr.

Idk why he left but maybe someone should ask?

Yeah, someone with a twitter account should contact him and say we're thinking about bringing YBS back.

I mean, maybe pending Jeffrey's decision on the front page

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, someone with a twitter account should contact him and say we're thinking about bringing YBS back.

I mean, maybe pending Jeffrey's decision on the front page

If they can, can they put me in contact with them? I’m very brown therefore will be inundated with a thousand flying swastikas if I as so much touch the dreaded bird website.

E: at someawfulwitch at gee male dot calm

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just watched Balmain's latest collection show for work and by god all of you have to put up with the thought of "Han Solo's formal wear"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
we talk about using the FP to attract new users but, if we do something like reddit's "best of" aggregation, it could encourage existing users to spend more time in new subforums. i wanted to lead in more heavily with goon-featured interviews before poo poo Went Down but, eh. We've got to boost each other up first, if we want to bring newbies in. my absolute dream is that rank amatures join up, get experience, get their work on the front page, and blow up huge. i want the winner of a wildlife photography contest to credit their win to the supportive friends in the Critterquest thread.
Thunderdome is basically already this, and I think it's a model we can repeat to great success if we just give the time and attention each thread needs. With certain obstacles out of the picture, I think that's more feasible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

teen witch posted:

If they can, can they put me in contact with them? I’m very brown therefore will be inundated with a thousand flying swastikas if I as so much touch the dreaded bird website.

I do not think this that would be likely to happen but I can't blame anyone for not wanting a twitter account

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I'm going to assume there's some way to get basic analytics about what people are finding/reading, as well as what content isn't being found. That could inform what's kept and what's pruned.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Thunderdome

This was way up on our list of "gets" back in the spring, the hope was we could start featuring thunderdome winners on the FP in a regular feature, and eventually get illustrators for all the stories and perhaps even offer a compilation book or something like that.

Other major targets for increased content curation were LP threads and PYF lists. There's SO much good stuff on the forums with absolutely zero outlets to the web en large, if we could just rig the pipeline up right we'd have a pretty awesome publication that promotes existing goon work and invites new members in.

It wouldn't be that hard, again if we just had the tiniest bit of support.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

This was way up on our list of "gets" back in the spring, the hope was we could start featuring thunderdome winners on the FP in a regular feature, and eventually get illustrators for all the stories and perhaps even offer a compilation book or something like that.

Other major targets for increased content curation were LP threads and PYF lists. There's SO much good stuff on the forums with absolutely zero outlets to the web en large, if we could just rig the pipeline up right we'd have a pretty awesome publication that promotes existing goon work and invites new members in.

It wouldn't be that hard, again if we just had the tiniest bit of support.

this seems like the smart way to run things. social media has started to fragment, and using the forums to spin-up these basically micro-publishing zine circles helps broaden the appeal of the site overall.
Talking things over with the former frontpage writers, we're looking at what more successful sites have done, and we've realized that there's basically two big trends: Social media sharebait (the hard times/meme aggregators) and interest-grabbing deep dive articles (that Outline article about the Weird Heathcliff twitter scene). Both of these we already produce in spades, sharebait we produce with comedy goldmines and photoshop threads, deep-dive stuff we can produce by tapping our Literal Army of Experts to let them nerd out about whatever fascinating tidbit of life they're most passionate about.

we've got to tie it back to the forums.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Talking about the front page as promoting the forums, from back on page 1:

Asterite34 posted:

Since the forums are the biggest draw, we should leverage that and have the front page advertize them more directly. I propose a series of articles in the style of "travel brochures" or timeshare pitches, explaining what each subforum is about, a sort of ambassadorial dcument for potential newbies browsing the SA frontpage and getting a taste of our rich and varied forum culture.

This is sort of how I see Comedy Goldmine functioning. I was making a conscious effort in the spring to spread out and cover different sub-forums as a kind of roadmap for visitors, but we only got to GBS, BYOB, PYF, Cholesterol Clubhouse and CSPAM before poo poo fell apart.

The combination of steady Phridays and steady Goldmines has always seemed, to me, like the backbone of a functioning front page. They're annoying to curate but a lot of people like them.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
If Photoshop Phriday comes back I think Grindcore Meggido should be the one to handle anything on the front page for them if he wants. He has fostered great photoshop threads over the years even when phriday stopped being a thing and knows and understands the posters who contribute very well, and I think would do a great job with it.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

If Photoshop Phriday comes back I think Grindcore Meggido should be the one to handle anything on the front page for them if he wants. He has fostered great photoshop threads over the years even when phriday stopped being a thing and knows and understands the posters who contribute very well, and I think would do a great job with it.

That would be wonderful. In the past I have asked many talented people to step up and curate the articles and very few people are willing, is my experience. It's a lot of dumb file management work.

If we actually paid somebody to do it though, that'd be a game-changer.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
This might sound cheap, but I bet people would be willing to do a lot in exchange for avatar vouchers or other forums ephemera. Offering that kind of intangible reward for good posting was a big draw for LivingWithStyle and it seems to generate a lot of hype and money for Reddit. Obviously pay people who keep the thing running (including yourself, Jeffrey) but A Sense Of Belonging is, in itself, a pretty big reward.

Frankly, as one who hasn't spent a lot on avatar changes or other Forum Interactables, getting a free sample of what it can do might encourage me to purchase more in the future. And I know it sounds stupid, but I bet a lot of folks would put more effort into their threads if they knew they might get something out of it. If someone in Games makes a huge effortpost which encourages 5 people to join the forums, I definitely think that's worthy of a voucher for 1 Free Temporary Smilie. I know thread title changes might be in the pipes as just an Everyone Power, but that could be capitaluzed upon too. 1 free change every 10 pages seems like a fair enough rate.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Actual merchandise again would be cool. Maybe find someone that can print custom shirts or something and offer (with arist permission) T-shirts from photoshop fridays and the artist gets a cut in like SA funbux they can spend on avatar changes for them selves and others. I dunno maybe let them cash out if the balance gets high.

e: actually thinking about photoshop friday's if they become a consistent thing about having the username link to a photoshop friday user page with links to all their submissions would be cool.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 14, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would wear a shirt with a grenade on it

No one would ever acknowledge or comment on it, just like my band shirts, but still

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

an inline 2000s style frame that just loads fark with "somethingawful dot com" in h1 in the header above it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I would wear a shirt with a grenade on it

No one would ever acknowledge or comment on it, just like my band shirts, but still

You are going to be shot by airport security, rip

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assume most terrorists don't wear shirts with weapons on them, but then security people usually aren't too clever

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well you're just plain wrong

Moo the cow posted:

The grenade logo has always been a failure for at least 4 reasons:

1) Associations with guns and therefore if you were to use it, someone unfamiliar with the site would think you were either 'I'm going to be a famous twitch streamer and when I turn 18, I am going to use my earnings to buy myself a pair of gold Deagles!!!' or 'Mah guns are my rights and I need them'.

2) Potential issues when dealing with security theatre at airports, etc.

3) It's just dumb.

4) The most significant: it's never been adopted by the community. I've never seen it on user-generated content, never heard of anyone wanting it on merch, never seen it anywhere offsite and I bet if you were to ask all the regular posters here to post a copy of the image, they would have to google it first, rather than having a copy on their hard drive.

Goatse, Groverhaus, Get Out Frog and Loss have all become a stronger part of the forums brand than the grenade ever has.

Making the change would not only signify the new era, but would also open the door to revenue-generating merch.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

There's some other company that has a similar-looking grenade as their logo too, just without the oval behind it. I'm not sure what it is but I see it as a sticker on the back of cars a lot.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Knormal posted:

There's some other company that has a similar-looking grenade as their logo too, just without the oval behind it. I'm not sure what it is but I see it as a sticker on the back of cars a lot.

Probably the snowboard glove company?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Probably the snowboard glove company?

I see it too and it's definitely on a lot of jeeps in a mountain town so probably.

:sweatdrop: thank god it's not goons

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If we didnt think the branding was worth any money we should have mentioned that to poor jeff before he shelled out whatever he paid for the site lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Juuuuust before poo poo went south, I had actually spent a good deal of time making this t-shirt design for the new store launch. Would obviously love to have the work pay off if we get a merch store happening again: