Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Re: mods, Ultimate Apocalypse is the (understandably) hyped up one, but there are also some high quality race mods around. I'd say Witch Hunters, Steel Legion and Thousand Sons are the most impressively polished, but there's also an interesting, pre-codex AdMech one, and the Tyranids are kind of janky but cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK5-uE5JFg

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gothsheep posted:

So when you get to the later games, what is your stance on mods going to be? I know there are a couple really good ones for Soulstorm and Dark Crusade. Soulstorm has Ultimate Apocalypse, which is a massive overhaul that adds tons of new units and functionality to all the factions, plus entirely new factions, but only works in multiplayer or skirmish.

Dark Crusade has Titanium Wars, which is like a stripped down version of Ultimate Apocalypse. Still a lot of new units and some new functionality, plus a good bit of rebalancing to make the IG not pathetic and the Eldar not overpowering, plus it works in campaign which is always a good time.

EDIT: Now that I've finished the video, I see you already mentioned the mods. That'll learn me to post before catching up.

Also my favorite part of the ending cutscene of mission 1 is how they're like, "I sense you have a question. Please, ask!" "Okay, well is this thing true?" "*Gasp* How dare you ask that! Don't open your fool mouth again!" Dick move, Isador. The motherfucker wasn't even going to say anything until you told him to.

Titanium Wars is also available for SS, though it seems you have to join a Discord to get it due to some sort of Moddb drama. There's also Redux, which seems to be a graphical remaster kind of deal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FoolyCharged posted:

Name one thing that cap'n bluddflag does that isn't the morally correct thing to do.

Hording all the hats and not letting his boyz wear any.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:sigh: I wish so much that DOW3 was good and eventually added a full ad-mech army.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

White Coke posted:

They're on crusade so legally they can have as many marines as they want.
The biggest threat to the Imperium of Man's stability is actually rules-lawyering.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

IMJack posted:

I still wish for a proper Inquisition RPG, something more along the lines of Deus Ex or VtM Bloodlines rather than the Diablo-esque game that is Martyr.

Isn't that what Streum On are doing next? On the one hand, Deathwing was a disappointment, on the other, EYE is pretty much that already.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

quote:

Due to his extensive cybernetic augmentation, Oud is more building than man and is thus the most difficult High Lord to speak to directly. Moving his form to the Great Chamber of the Senatorum Imperialis requires extensive logistical work and construction.
I love warhams.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
DOW1 wasn't the first time an RTS featured buildable super units (that might have been TA?) but it was probably the first time they were truly impressive to watch.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lord_Magmar posted:

Still sucks that Dawn of War 2 made the super unit for the Tyranids the Swarmlord. Which I kind of get, but completely ruins the whole point of the Swarmlord.

I don't know much from Tyranids, what's wrong with the Swarmlord? Not sure what else 'Nids could have gotten without going into Biotitan scale...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cradok posted:

Sindri is Scott McNeill doing a kind of evil version of Beast Wars Silverbolt. And Lord Bale is McNeill doing his Dinobot voice pretty straight, including the snarls.So any time you see Sindri and Bale arguing with each other, that's just McNeill doing what he does best, arguing with himself.

Hah, I was actually referring to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFUfF3Ws39E. . Different series with an immortal, impossibly charismatic leader who uses his infinite will to bend humanity to match his vision.

And another one where people would rather pretend the last game in the series never happened. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, I voted for Eldar, the best race. :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So is there ever any explanation for why the Imperium originally settled all of these awful, awful planets like Catachan or Armaggedon in the first place?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Its legs bend the right way, completely different mech.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 23, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I guess there's some kind of impenetrable DOW mod drama going on now? Looks like there was a schism within the Ultimate Apocalypse team and now Unification's the hot new thing.

The stakes have never been lower.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 3, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh I like UA but trying to play it any kind of PVP seems like an excercise in lunacy. For compstomps it pretty much doesn't matter if one team's ultimately weaker than another when you can tech up and spam superheavy tanks & Titans that the AI can't deal with.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That big Unification mod is out. One of the few to support/change the campaign, so that *might* be interesting to take a look at when you get to Soulstorm.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, anyone actually play Unification yet? I haven't had the time to check it out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cooked Auto posted:

Guess I can skip them for a while then, was kinda curious how they were otherwise.
I think its an implementation of this mod, which was actually designed before AdMech had their own army list and so is made up of a bunch of fan-made designs and suppositions. The standalone version should work fine.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, was just linking in case you wanted to check it out seperately. I *believe* the plan for AdMech is to eventually bring them in line with their actual TT range tho.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What's their Relic unit again?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
True to its name, Unification is a collection of different race packs that has only recently gotten further development to properly flesh out said races, after the devs left UA. I know they've said they plan to bring Admech up to date with their actual codex depiction, though that'd be a pretty big undertaking.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe there''s a sneaky Slaan doing a bit of gene meddling on his off-hours...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Tempting as it is to try to mess around and make the experience different/enjoyable I think it's best to show Soulstorm's campaign for what it is in its vanilla form, taking the good with the bad, then maybe do some goofing around with Unification's various factions afterwards, and maybe the Ultimate Apocalypse Mod too. You can say a lot about Soulstorm but just one look at moddb shows you just how still dedicated its modding scene is on some absolutely massive projects.
It pretty much seems like SS is the modded one more because it's the newest game than based on its own merit. And most of those projects were originally made for DC or earlier. I've only dabbled with Unification (waiting for the next version which fleshes out more factions and adds Krieg and Death Guard) but I did play a bunch of UA again recently. It's one of those things that's just kind of more impressive than it is enjoyable; I definitely prefer the vanilla game's combat and overall gameplay balance.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Has anyone tried the Unification version of the SS campaign?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ludicrous Soustorm Megamod Unification just released its latest, adding Krieg and Death Guard alongside a bunch of new stuff for the other races. Krieg has blimps.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unification-mod-dawn-of-war-soulstorm

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah I've been intentionally holding off on doing any unification stuff because I had this general feeling it was going to be updating soon. That'll be good for sitting down and goofing around with when the time comes.
Same, I'd never played the last version because the new one was always coming "soon."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah, they just couldn't get off the ground for their next project and had to wind up. One of the higher ups got a new studio started and they made Grim Dawn, which for all we know might have been the project they had originally intended on making.
Funnily enough, their next game (well, after the city builder they just put into early access) is supposed to be an RTS. Hope history doesn't repeat itself! :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goto's the MULTILASERS guy, right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Unification report: Krieg is a lot of fun. They have several unique mechanics, for example their bunkers can suppress infantry, making them play kinda like a CoH faction, when their morale breaks they go berserk and can't be controlled, a lot of their units can use mustard gas. Their Rough Riders can affix explosive lances and absolutely ruin vehicles on a charge and one of their Titans is a giant zeppelin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Me and my people have been persecuted for so long so I'm just gonna come out and say it: I kinda like Centurions. Now those Grey Knight babycarriers on the other hand, yeesh!