Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The Tony Hawk's Pro Skater gaming franchise, much like Tony himself, did much to popularize skateboarding with its approachable, anarchic, arcadey take on the sport. But in 2003, developer Neversoft were feeling ambitious. The previous game, Pro Skater 4, was the first to feature an open level structure and individual missions given by NPCs. The next level from that? Put in an actual story. And wouldn't you know it, it's actually pretty good.

Tony Hawk's Underground is the first narrative-driven game in the franchise, following the journey of your created player character from New Jersey nobody to famous pro skater, with several actual pros popping in to provide some color, all anchored by one of gaming's most vile antagonists...
And also you can get off the board and run around and climb around and my god is it a useful safety net. Still pretty jank game though.

The LP
This is a straightforward run through the game on Sick difficulty. I won't be doing all of the missions since some of them are just insurmountable on Sick, but I will be getting all of the secret tapes, levels, etc at the end of the LP.
I'm joined on co-commentary by JigglyJacob, a fellow old fan of the Tony Hawk games, and he's more recently taken up skateboarding himself in real life, so he may have additional insights that I may not. Our player character, Tiddy, also originates from his WarioWare LPs, which are highly recommended viewing: [Smooth Moves|Gold]

Spoiler Policy
While the game was pretty popular in its time, there's probably plenty of people here who haven't played it and don't know the story, so avoid discussing or hinting at events that haven't happened in the LP yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I basically grew up on Tony Hawk's pro-skater 3, so when I got this game I was astonished when I was finally able to get off my skateboard and just walk to places.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to prove ourselves in our first amateur competition! Except...

Also, Jacob takes us on a tour of the Tampa landmarks in the level!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I own this game, along with 4 or 5 others from the Tony Hawk franchise, and I'm pretty sure I played the poo poo out of it because that's what I used to do with games. Yet, having seen your videos so far, I have absolutely zero recollection of anything that happened here. I guess this is what getting old is like.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I graduated from college, but that was six years ago, and I've barely used my degree for anything. Might as well get a top-up.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
To comment on something from the Tampa video...

Jacob posted:

...I've watched a lot of recent interviews and videos with [Tony Hawk] - he sounds exactly the same, his voice hasn't aged a bit.

The best description I've heard of Tony Hawk is that he's the world's coolest 50-plus-year-old teenager, so of course he still sounds like one

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I guess since I always play action-y games it never really stood out as weird then but it's pretty funny when a game's built around one type of mechanic and all of your problems are solved with that. Like here, the answer to every obstacle is to skate at it harder; from getting girls to come to your party, to dealing with security guards, finding your drunk friends, etc.

It's like if you were playing a Yu-Gi-Oh game and you stopped someone from stealing a purse by playing Pot of Greed at them or something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hey, when the only tool you have is a skateboard. :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Hey, this is perfectly safe in a world with no consequences!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I would NOT trust Eric to film and deliver that properly.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
This game needs a new game plus mode where you can end each Eric mission by taking an action that leads to him suffering serious bodily harm. Like pushing him off the roof, or letting him get captured by the drug dealers.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

EricFate posted:

This game needs a new game plus mode where you can end each Eric mission by taking an action that leads to him suffering serious bodily harm. Like pushing him off the roof, or letting him get captured by the drug dealers.

Good name/post combo. Shame you can't hit things with the skate board when you're walking around.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

EricFate posted:

|You joke, but the game kind of gives you that. I'll let Thorn talk about that, though (or do it myself if he doesn't)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Crap, I left my surprise at home.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gee I totally did not see that coming like an oversized skater in a yellow jumpsuit landing neckfirst in front of me. Video editing must be amazing in this place if you can easily make someone look like another person even though they are obviously wearing different clothes, using different boards and of course are not even remotely the same size. :v:

I had no idea the world of skateboarding was so abusive. Tiddy is basically the goofer and nobody tells him anything beforehand like even the schedule the bus is leaving. Oooor was Eric supposed to inform him?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Crap, I left my spare surprise in Vancouver.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe all that bouncing the head on concrete had bad consequences. Who knew?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope we're going to fight Eric in a collapsing junkyard or something and leave him for dead at the end of this game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Poil posted:

Video editing must be amazing in this place if you can easily make someone look like another person even though they are obviously wearing different clothes, using different boards and of course are not even remotely the same size. :v:

The game didn't make it very clear, but Eric didn't doctor the footage; he just deleted ours and used his own.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

The game didn't make it very clear, but Eric didn't doctor the footage; he just deleted ours and used his own.

Oh, I totally thought he stole the trick from us entirely.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I know you said you were THUG 2 next (at least I think you did), do you plan on doing any similar games like the BMX one, or that scooter one?

I loved the inline skating game, Aggresive In-line, but I wasn’t good enough to actually finish it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ThornBrain posted:

Ah, ok. But there were some stunts for another skater who was too drunk to stand unless I remember incorrectly. They just didn't film his head?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Damanation posted:

I know you said you were THUG 2 next (at least I think you did), do you plan on doing any similar games like the BMX one, or that scooter one?

I loved the inline skating game, Aggresive In-line, but I wasn’t good enough to actually finish it.

We're skipping THUG 2 for now because both Jacob and I keep having recording issues. It's a weirdly cursed game. It's also a lot douchier than THUG1 so I'm less excited to do it anyway. American Wasteland will be next, though I do want to do something with Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2, another game from my childhood, but I don't know if that will be a post-comm LP or a stream LP.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
THUG2 seems to be the game several SA LPers have started but never finished - to be honest I’d quite like to see some of the less-well regarded games like Project 8 and the one that came after it (Proving Ground?) get a playthrough from someone experienced at the franchise!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
We'll likely get to it at some point. It's just my attempt to record it on the PS2 failed due to a major recurring save corruption bug late in the game that cost me my whole run, and it looked pretty ugly anyway since it doesn't have progressive scan, and our better visual options have their own problems (XB360 has a bad framerate, and PC can't read controllers correctly). It's a mess. THAW's cooperative at least- I've already recorded classic mode, and Jacob will be playing the story mode..

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
First time I played this, I went with the skeleton skater, so Eric’s claims that it was him in the footage came off as extra goofy. Digging the chill presentation of the LP, it’s much more enjoyable than trying to fight the controls was the last time I revisited this game.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This update was so loving weird. Like, a skateboarding game where you hijack a Russian tank because your friend partner colleague parasite is a drunk douchenozzle, get abandoned in Moscow, and work with a terrorist group to get back home. That sounds like a long Robot Chicken sketch.

I'm looking forward to shoving Eric's board down his throat.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Was he really drunk though? He seemed really quick to start that tank and then bail from it.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Poil posted:

Was he really drunk though? He seemed really quick to start that tank and then bail from it.

I mean, he was acting drunk, both in tempriment and stupid behavior, but you could probably get me to believe he was faking it to gently caress over Tiddy.

I gotta say, though, Eric is a brand of antagonist I really dislike. I mean, yeah, I despise him, but it's like he's being a dick solely for the purpose of being a dick. And sure, there are plenty of real people who act that way, but it's not really a compelling antagonist to me. :shrug:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

In that final scene, is Eric supposed to be some skateboard phenom who is so much better than everyone else in the world and ridiculously in demand?

I'm really not sure just how he'd expect to get away with that douchebag '5G's in my hand or I'm not skating' arrogance when there are plenty of other skaters who would skate without the attitude.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for Tiddy to get his name and fame back. And that missing tape...

Next week, the LP finale and all the secrets!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I thought the final mission was only skipped when you replayed the game, or if the game could 'see' a different save file where you'd already completed it elsewhere?

I don't think it's unique to Sick mode, as I've never completed the game on Sick and I know I've seen that mission-skipping cutscene.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh that sicko more cutscene was so satisfying.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Holy poo poo those moves in the recorded footage by... that guy... It was stuff like out of this game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Poil posted:

Holy poo poo those moves in the recorded footage by... that guy... It was stuff like out of this game.

I know, right? The part where ge pulled another guy out of his pocket and had a sword fight with him was nuts

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
Being able to bash Eric's face in and just take the tape is a cathartic reward for either beating the game twice, or beating the game on Sick.

But seeing that Eric went down from a single Tiddy Elbow, it begs the question: would a Tiddy punch have been a more devastating blow, or does Eric just have the jaw strength of wet paper?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Elbows are better for hitting with than fists, but Eric probably just has a glass jaw anyway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Poil posted:

I assume you mean Rodney Mullen and I think it was the promo video in Tony Hawk 3 that got me into the series retroactively back in the day. Like seeing big spins and drop and flips is of course incredible but something about just him spinning around on the ground was even more so.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I assume you mean Rodney Mullen and I think it was the promo video in Tony Hawk 3 that got me into the series retroactively back in the day. Like seeing big spins and drop and flips is of course incredible but something about just him spinning around on the ground was even more so.
Could be yes, I don't remember their names (the only reason I remember Tony Hawk is because his is in the title and mostly because I am not particularly interested in skateboarding and skaters even less, sorry). The guy who flipped his board on the side and slid across a surface like it was nothing. It's probably because it's different too. To my untrained eye the other skaters did kinda similar things. Halfpipe (is that the right word?) is not the same as those... empty pool-like things but it is mostly back and forth.

All of their stuff is of course impressive but those wizard moves were especially so.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

THUG is complete! Look forward to American Wasteland next week, with Jacob taking over for the story, though I will do Classic Mode when we get around to that.