Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Jet Force Gemini is a Sci Fi third-person shooter originally made for the Nintendo 64 by Rare's Blast Corp team. While impressive for 1999 and a cult favorite since, its controls have aged poorly. Luckily, the game was included in Rare Replay in 2015 with updated twin stick controls that... are still kinda wonky, but at least the game is much more approachable now for newer players. So let's revisit my childhood and pop some heads off of oversized ants!

The Story is Such:
You are the Gemini team for the intergalactic space police, Jet Force: twins Juno and Vela and their enhanced tank dog Lupus. While flying through space, your team's ship is set upon by giant ant soldiers, and the three are scattered. Juno learns from the leader of the furry koala people, the Tribals, that the evil bug emperor Mizar is invading the galaxy and has captured and enslaved his people. It's up to Jet Force Gemini to rescue all of the Tribals (all of them), reconvene at Mizar's palace, and put a stop to his plans.

The LP:
This is largely a 100% LP, if only because you literally need to save every Tribal to complete the game, but I will also show off the Floyd missions and secrets. I'm stuck solo, so we won't be able to see what we unlock for multiplayer though.
I'm joined on co-commentary by JigglyJacob, who is unfamiliar with JFG, but is a fan of the remarkably similar third-person shooter series MDK.

(Note: this LP was started right as the you-know-what times began, but I refrained from posting this here until the site was sold, so it's well ahead already. It's now here since Fedule gave the okay though.)

-------------------------------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's certainly a charming game.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I played the hell out of this game but never finished it because of the dumb Saving All the Tribals mechanic.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I finished this game. Somehow even being a small child at the time.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Will you be showing off the video in Rare Replay that goes a bit into the development of Jet Force? It's actually kind of an interesting watch to hear them being inspired by various sci-fi movies for the music and designs.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Capitalism continuing to function as intended

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to save Earth and the galaxy and feed the fishies!

Since most of our current LPs have wrapped up this week, I'm unsure what our LP schedule is going to look like from hereon-out. There isn't anything like JFG on the docket, but be on the lookout for Doom 2016 and Sonic Heroes tomorrow and the coming weeks respectively, and hopefully Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town won't be far off either.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm slightly disappointed you never found the most useful use for Fish Food: exploding proximity mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I think only the little bug enemies are the ones that eat the fish food, so it's useful for exactly one screen in the game :v: