Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Graveyard Keeper is a unique, darkly humorous spin on Harvest Moon-like simulation games, except here you're farming corpses! You're a poor, beardy schmuck who gets tagged by a truck and wakes up in the Dark Ages. A shrouded figure names you the new graveyard keeper, so now it's your duty to clean up the graveyard, chop up an infinite supply of corpses for some handy giblets, and schmooze with the local eccentrics for their stuff. With any luck, and a whole lot of grinding, you'll be able to get home to your lover someday.

The LP:
This is a straightforward playthrough showing off the grand majority of the game but not trying to unlock everything; there's a lot of superfluous stuff you don't need to finish the story, or are even likely to use. I'm also not playing the DLC because the developers barely finished the main game, I'm not giving them more money.
I'm joined on co-commentary by Skippy Granola and YamiNoSenshi, both fellow fans of Harvest Moon, and Skippy is also familiar with Graveyard Keeper.

(Note: this LP was started right as the you-know-what times began, but I refrained from posting this here until the site was sold, so it's well ahead already. It's now here since Fedule gave the okay though.)

---------------------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I've been watching it, it's good. Glad you guys haven't totally abandoned Let's Play subforum Thorn :)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's a fascinatingly morbid game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wouldnt say its morbid so much as strangely aloof and indifferent to the morbid events within.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I've quite enjoyed watching these. Would you believe that they are going to release yet another DLC that expands the story?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Time to start wrapping up some character arcs, and for that we're gonna need...

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016

Tombot posted:

Would you believe that they are going to release yet another DLC that expands the story?
Will we finally be able to go into the Town and see the Ship of the Dead and other namedropped locales?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I've been really enjoying this series! I'm so glad I didn't try getting into it myself though since it is a lot. It's baffling in a way only an Eastern European (or Russian?) indie game can be so it's been very fun to watch.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm looking forward to watching, thanks for bringing it here!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
This game was great and weirdly stressful in a "I've never had to juggle so many things in my head all at once" kind of way. It definitely has a, lots stuff missing or added in an early access kind of way, but it's still good in spite of that.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Is it possible this is all set shortly after the protagonists death, and he's simply the exceptionally well preserved and embalmed zombie of a previous graveyard keeper and is now perpetuating this nightmare with his own creations?

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Beartaco posted:

Is it possible this is all set shortly after the protagonists death, and he's simply the exceptionally well preserved and embalmed zombie of a previous graveyard keeper and is now perpetuating this nightmare with his own creations?

That is a truly disturbing and creepy idea, I like the way you think.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Wait. So hypothetically, after he got killed he got turned into a zombie by the last Graveyard keeper to replace him after he did something with the portal on the hill?
I mean that could work, but there's still a few plot holes that have not been explained. Such as why he keeps waking up in his bed whenever he dies or why he seems to be in a completely different dimension.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
He's a city boy, he's actually just never been out to the countryside. It's all medieval out there. The waking up after death thing is uhh, the game breaking the forth wall?

The witch portal is going to be the planet of the apes moment where he realizes it was earth all along. He activates it and it's just a television tuned to Fox News.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Beartaco posted:

The witch portal is going to be the planet of the apes moment where he realizes it was earth all along. He activates it and it's just a television tuned to Fox News.

Worse: He gets isekai'd again, but this time into the world depicted on Fox News.
It requires minimal moral adjustment.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

And like that, the LP is already finished. The guys and I are hopefully going to begin Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town before long, so look forward to the Farm Fucks returning to a proper farm!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ThornBrain posted:

And like that, the LP is already finished. The guys and I are hopefully going to begin Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town before long, so look forward to the Farm Fucks returning to a proper farm!
Sweet, I canīt wait.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
More like: "Minerals of Friend town" Heyooo! Really though, that was a damp squib of an ending. I know that sometimes its the Journey not the destination that's important, but it really collapsed into a non-commital shrug that failed to answer much of anything. I know there's a new DLC that expands the story coming soon, but it looks like the kind of thing that ought to have been part of the main game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I kinda like the ending. Fits the tone of the rest of the game that you didn't fix anything and are leaving the village worse off than you found it, because the Keeper never gave a poo poo. And got cosmically punished by answering his wish without letting him leave.

If that was intentional, though, they could definitely have done a better job getting that across.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I enjoyed the ending! The characters I didn't really care about got some cute plot beats. The twist that you don't go home, your wife just also gets hit by a truck was humorously tragic. I really had no interest in learning about any of the background lore, so them just kind of brushing that off was okay with me.

The way you guys talked about it I was expecting like, you hand in the items, fade to black, credits roll.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, that was a pretty crap ending but it pretty much follows the way the game progressed in that it started off pretty interesting and tapered off as the devs seemed to run out of money and time.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Thanks for the LP, Thorn! Your LP's of various farm simulators have led me to some really fun games, but this won't be one of them. I watched a bit of Skippy streaming it, and decided I wasn't curious enough about the game to play it, but I really enjoyed the LP! You, Yami, and Skippy have a wonderful dynamic, and I look forward to the inevitable Rune Factory 5 LP*!

*I mean, a guy can hope, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thanks for showing off this game.