Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Greetings everyone! In this new age of the internet why don't we stop worrying about politics, plagues, and pieces of poo poo that beat women and instead, adopt a virtual pet of our very own!

Back before Neopets, before even Pokemon, before social media was everywhere and in the days when the internet still consisted of spinning skulls and flame gifs, there was small but devoted pocket of "cyber pet" collectors. These people were really loving serious about their little gifs, with Adoption Forms you sent to their e-mails to get 'approval', scripts preventing right clicking to "save as", webrings linking pages to prove you actually got permission to host the images, and all sorts of other weird e-honor poo poo. These people would host webpages, draw their pets in a variety of colors and poses, and set them to be adopted. They would often have their own stories for their particular pets; some would be based on already existing work (Dragonriders of Pern was huge at the time for example), and others would make up their own poo poo. People would adopt them, often in "limited edition colors" (Think Deviantart adoptables, but way more innocent and less creepy. And also free)

So what were these popular images, these rare and coveted things? Well in the late 90s as a growing nerdlet I was loving OBSESSED with them and proudly hosted a dragon collection on Prodigy, burning god knows how much of my poor family's bandwidth, so of course I had to go digging through the Wayback machine to see what vintage internet trash I could find.

Behold! The things that people prized, fought over, sent forms for, and "loved":

Malacath's dragons, probably the single most popular one a the time. Seriously, this guy's poo poo was everywhere.

As I said, Pernese dragons at the time were HUGE. I actually remember the artist's name for this one, credit to Courtney Snyder.

If you don't want a dragon how about a MS paint Chinchilla that's making GBS threads itself.

There's plenty more to go around, goons! Let's get you a pet of your very own to take home and steal bandwidth for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess I could use a dragon

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I want a dick butt

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I guess I could use a dragon

You need to e-mail me your name, date of birth, the dragon's name, your webpage that will be it's 'home', the reason you want it, and 3 paragraphs detailing how you will take care of it and why you deserve it. No you don't but that is LITERALLY WHAT THEY MADE YOU DO BACK THEN LOL.

Here take a sweet gold Pern dragon for being the first poster:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Sorry OP, I killed my Tamagotchi multiple times. I am not good at caring for digital pets.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

zaepg posted:

I want a dick butt

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

its all nice on rice posted:

Sorry OP, I killed my Tamagotchi multiple times. I am not good at caring for digital pets.

Your egg is stillborn sorry

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I need a dragon to guard my vault of bitcoins.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

extra row of teeth posted:

You need to e-mail me your name, date of birth, the dragon's name, your webpage that will be it's 'home', the reason you want it, and 3 paragraphs detailing how you will take care of it and why you deserve it. No you don't but that is LITERALLY WHAT THEY MADE YOU DO BACK THEN LOL.

Here take a sweet gold Pern dragon for being the first poster:

Hey that's awesome, I hope he likes heating up hot pockets and fanning me with his wings

Do I take it for walks or what

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A pet that isn't dead or dying

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

I need a dragon to guard my vault of bitcoins.

Here take an edgelord dragon

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Hey that's awesome, I hope he likes heating up hot pockets and fanning me with his wings

Do I take it for walks or what

It's a pernese dragon so it's big enough to ride around. Enjoy your new ride bro

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

A pet that isn't dead or dying

If you have a hatchling you will have as many years with your pet gif as possible

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Can I borrow one

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

Can I borrow one

Well ok I guess but emphasis on borrow <:mad:>

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Well ok I guess but emphasis on borrow <:mad:>

I just took a screenshot on my phone no sweat

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

I just took a screenshot on my phone no sweat

you loving MONSTER

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Dragon's are losers give me something COOL

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Holy poo poo I remember this. I was too intimidated by the adoption process and responsibilities to take care of a cartoon dragon.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

Dragon's are losers give me something COOL

You will hereby get the most popular non dragon pet at the time: the Senoch.

No I have no idea what the gently caress this thing is, but it was on everyone's page at the time probably because it looked like it hopped out of a Disney movie.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
There's a modern solution to having a precise and ironclad record of who owns what dragon:

Put your gifs on the blockchain

I'll draw my own dragon and make a watermark so devious even screenshots won't work.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

The Postman posted:

Holy poo poo I remember this. I was too intimidated by the adoption process and responsibilities to take care of a cartoon dragon.

Fortune favors the bold, my friend. Go for the Gold!

Bear Enthusiast posted:

There's a modern solution to having a precise and ironclad record of who owns what dragon:

Put your gifs on the blockchain

I'll draw my own dragon and make a watermark so devious even screenshots won't work.

Oh yeah? You're on!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What non-dragon has the highest power level?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Here take an edgelord dragon

Thanks! Though I hope he doesn’t say anything too offensive on dragon twitter. :ohdear:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Somebody on an old forums I used to post on gave away "yappities" for adoption and I never got one and their image host went down and they don't post anymore

Pouring one out for the lost cyber pets

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

Thanks! Though I hope he doesn’t say anything too offensive on dragon twitter. :ohdear:

He only goes to Hot Topic and pretends to smoke with candy cigarettes. If he's really daring, he'll steal a blow up doll from Spencer's on a dare.

Who What Now posted:

What non-dragon has the highest power level?

There's quite a few contenders, maybe this adoptable My Little Pony before the Brony Curse rolled in

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

He only goes to Hot Topic and pretends to smoke with candy cigarettes. If he's really daring, he'll steal a blow up doll from Spencer's on a dare.

This dragon and I are going to get along just fine. :hai:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Are there cats? I kind of have a brand.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Are there any shadow beasts or something along those lines?

What do I need to feed my cyber pet? Do I have to worry about it eating my other jpgs?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

thought this was another Alan 00X op

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
What kind of poo poo went down when someone ignored the adoption process and kidnapped a dragon?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You don't want to gently caress with dragon protection agency, they'll burn your house down

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Devils Affricate posted:

What kind of poo poo went down when someone ignored the adoption process and kidnapped a dragon?

lol thought i was in the creative ppl thread again

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I'm interested in a dragon, but it has to be rare. I am not interested in common cyber pets.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Used to love trawling old pages and seeing this kind of stuff. It's a good thing it was already dead when I got online because I loved dragons and virtual pets as a kid. Instead I was into the hot new poo poo like Pokémon and Neopets.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

please click guys im so close to getting the new dragons <3

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Stunt_enby posted:

please click guys im so close to getting the new dragons <3

It says you STOLE those eggs :ohdear:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

There's quite a few contenders, maybe this adoptable My Little Pony before the Brony Curse rolled in

Wings for speed and a horn for goring. A powerful steed!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RepeatingMeme posted:

It says you STOLE those eggs :ohdear:
wait like anti-hotlinking poo poo? man this thread is just purestrain nostalgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Stunt_enby posted: