Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForbiddenSock
May 12, 2020

Would using Nike brand socks for my seed be a cool flex?
Hi goons, while I firmly believe that when I am displeased with my life I need to get my poo poo together and DO SOMETHING, poo poo don't always work out for me since I don't really know what I'm doing half the time. Anyone who has regrets in their lives (yes, you) has thought about what situation they would have managed differently if they could go back in time with the benefit of hindsight.

I was just wondering what some of you goons have gone through that you would like to try differently now that you know better. I would also be interested in knowing what decisions you made on the fly that turned out really good if you got something positive to share. I'd ask reddit, but I don't want to see a million people jacking off a guy who closed mouth kissed someone he wasn't dating at prom or something shallow like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Gonna say it was the day I arrived at the ER with my brain leaking of my skull.

That was a bad move! The entire day was bad!

Avoid your brain being exposed to the air outside your skull, that's what I wager you should do. Good life advice for anyone.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Please allow me to be the first person to post: Getting a stupid degree in college that I was not able to get a job with and have no goddamn interest in 8 years after the fact.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean I’ve dealt with a lot of survival situations and poo poo. Most of them were pretty smooth with a minimal amount of bullshit. I guess I could have got through them with a little more style and finesse, been a little more entertaining. I can’t think of a whole lot I would change or times when I just got lucky or rolled with random poo poo because I had no plan.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Going towards the light and exiting the womb. Really should have thought that through a little more.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

probably when the horse kicked me lol

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
In temporal order:

I wish I'd taken more risks in high school.

I wish I'd gotten a degree in a subject I wanted to pursue a career in. Don't actually know what that is though.

I wish I hadn't spent most of college on/off again dating a woman who was fundamentally incompatible with me.

I wish I hadn't spent the next decade slowly falling into alcoholism to get over her and deal with the general post-college malaise.

I wish I'd quit drinking sooner earlier. Four years sober next month.

I wish I'd started working out earlier.

All in all I'm generally okay with how things turned out, so I don't ruminate on these things.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
should have killed hitler

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can trace all my woes back the day when I foolishly traded in Castlevania: SOTN to buy Fear Effect 2.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Probably the day I signed up for internet access back in 1998

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Shoulda got the salad instead.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Should have got an account here early, when it was free, for that sweet sweet 20th century reg date.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Xenocides posted:

Going towards the light and exiting the womb. Really should have thought that through a little more.

:hmmyes:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
You assume my life was ever going right

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I absolutely blew a chance for a threesome in college. I was out drinking, two girls that were interns at the same place I was came out with me. I got pretty drunk and both of them said I could crash at their apartment. I drunkenly insisted that I'd take the bus home because I had something important to do in the morning. I didn't even have anything important to do, to this day I have no idea why I said that. I think maybe I thought I'd seem cooler by doing this.

I saw one of the girls the next week at work and she'd barely speak to me lol.

In my defense I was an enormous nerd in college and the idea of a woman finding me attractive was completely alien to me.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

DickParasite posted:

In temporal order:

I wish I'd taken more risks in high school.

I wish I'd gotten a degree in a subject I wanted to pursue a career in. Don't actually know what that is though.

I wish I hadn't spent most of college on/off again dating a woman who was fundamentally incompatible with me.

I wish I hadn't spent the next decade slowly falling into alcoholism to get over her and deal with the general post-college malaise.

I wish I'd quit drinking sooner earlier. Four years sober next month.

I wish I'd started working out earlier.

All in all I'm generally okay with how things turned out, so I don't ruminate on these things.

Hey, this seems about right. My relationship went too many years beyond college. Also, yeah I was lazy in high school and should have tried harder to make friends and tried different activities. Was too into videogames and being self-serious. Speaking of which....

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
probably when i decided to have chronic depression all my life

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I should have traveled more in my early 20s but I couldn’t afford it so I guess my actual mistake was not having a big pile of money.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
My wife and I were going to the gym three days a week for awhile but that dropped to two and then none in our twenties. Now we have a three year old and time is so much harder to come by.

I wish we'd made fitness part of our daily lives, just an ingrained habit we'd feel weird not doing.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Kid on my street told me about Runescape. Been a failson ever since

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I had an offer for a full ride to college that I didn't take because I wanted to go to college with my girlfriend. The relationship ended over the summer of our sophomore year and I graduated ~$70k in debt. I *was* able to pay it off, which I'm grateful for.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

One time Chris Onstad asked me if I wanted to go get a drink at a bar and I pussed out because I'm an anxious idiot. I shoulda said yes.

Oh also I should have taken school more seriously and also gotten my brain checked out by a doctor in my youth. Also ignored the art teacher in highschool who told me there was no such thing as art school for cartoonists. what the heck. I never put together a portfolio for college because of that!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

shoeberto posted:

I had an offer for a full ride to college that I didn't take because I wanted to go to college with my girlfriend. The relationship ended over the summer of our sophomore year and I graduated ~$70k in debt. I *was* able to pay it off, which I'm grateful for.

For me, it was probably not getting diagnosed with ADHD until I was 34, which meant that I did really lovely in school and didn't go to college.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
There are two times where I absolutely changed the course of my life so much by this one action that it's astounding to look back on.

The first one was when I got a flat tire when I was 23 and while walking to look for a phone to call my boyfriend to pick me up I went into what I thought was a restaurant but it was a card room. I didn't even know we had any gambling like that in Washington state and I'd lived there my whole life. Waiting for my boyfriend to get off work I watched the old men play poker. The floor man was a total dick to me and tried to blow me off/discourage my interest. (I got to know him later he was a total rear end in a top hat degenerate gambler but the guy was trying to save me and that's a weird feeling to know that.)

I went back the next day and played poker there and was an addictive gambler for the next approximately 20 years.

The other thing destroyed my life even more. His name was Mike and I knew he was a bad guy and I dated him anyway. I still remember where I was in a particular parking lot when I considered not going forward with being involved with him. I made the wrong choice.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Refocusing my efforts from Cracked onto a startup e-book publishing firm headed by a compulsive liar kicked off a chain of misadventures in my writing career which culminated in me posting pokemon smut to the front page of one of my first favorite websites.

edit- the dude claimed to be a nationally ranked blacksmith, which didn't trigger any alarm bells for me because of course i'm already friends with nationally ranked blacksmiths. then he claimed to use the weapons he made to hunt game in africa, which isn't weird because i hit a deer once with an arrow i made (and then stalked it for several miles before shooting it with a gun, which in retrospect, is vastly crueler than just using a gun in the first place but i digress. manhood is a prison) so while everyone else bailed weeks before i knew what was up, i was basically the last person still working with him because nobody else thought to share with me the giant document of proven lies.

i'm... not good with judging Internet People.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 14, 2020

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Going to college instead of a trade school

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
When I quit smoking cigarettes

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

unfortunately my biggest mistake in life was believing and trusting the person I loved. I made a lot of decisions that benefited the relationship over myself because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time, and it probably would have been the right thing to do, except, I later found out my partner had a secret plan that literally involved ending the relationship on a timetable. It was some real villainous stuff that left me incapable of trusting other people, and facing real poverty. Oops.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I wish I had gotten more exercise in my 20s. I'm sorta in shape now, but I really could have used the emotional boost that exercise provides.

I wish I had chosen a career that was a little less dependent on graduate education because I can't seem to get accepted to grad school and would probably not survive it anyway.

Also when I was 12 I tried to draw a cartoon character and it looked like poo poo and my friend made fun of it. I wish I had kept trying, because it wasn't until now that I was able to un-internalize the "bad at art" thing and try again. I still suck but I could have spent a lot of time growing up with that as a hobby.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

when I was in my early twenties after a pretty bad breakup (the first TrUe LoVeE) I should have follow my instincts and gotten therapy, instead of 10 years later. Turns out that yes, I had depression, and yes, it was not because I'm a garbage person who don't deserve no happiness, and YES therapy totally worked.

I could have made my entire twenties a lot more fulfilling and happier.

Also obligatory I could have had sex with, like, so many woman.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
was in an extremely emotionally abusive relationship in high school that permanently destroyed my self-esteem. followed that by getting a film degree with no intention to move to California, been pretty consistently sliding downhill ever since :geoduck:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Fartington Butts posted:

Please allow me to be the first person to post: Getting a stupid degree in college that I was not able to get a job with and have no goddamn interest in 8 years after the fact.

Yeah I'm going to disagree with this one. Even a degree in underwater basket weaving would have helped me along immensely right now.

Now I'm in my mid 30's trying to figure out if I can get an HR degree while raising 3 kids and working full-time. I knew way better than this, but let my life get way off the rails anyway. Idiot.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

A Fancy Hat posted:

I absolutely blew a chance for a threesome in college. I was out drinking, two girls that were interns at the same place I was came out with me. I got pretty drunk and both of them said I could crash at their apartment. I drunkenly insisted that I'd take the bus home because I had something important to do in the morning. I didn't even have anything important to do, to this day I have no idea why I said that. I think maybe I thought I'd seem cooler by doing this.

I saw one of the girls the next week at work and she'd barely speak to me lol.

In my defense I was an enormous nerd in college and the idea of a woman finding me attractive was completely alien to me.

:same:

Goondolences to all fellow threesome refusing not-havers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenocides posted:

:same:

Goondolences to all fellow threesome refusing not-havers.

The time I was in a threesome it wasn't nearly as titillating as all the movies would make it out be. Not really something to write home about.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

Iron Crowned posted:

The time I was in a threesome it wasn't nearly as titillating as all the movies would make it out be. Not really something to write home about.

Yeah, but being able to say this is part of the whole deal. I mean, some people go wake-boarding once and then that's it, they realise that it's just their thing that they were designed to love. What if my thing is threesomes, and I never find out?

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

Fartington Butts posted:

You are the first, but not the last. This and the not thinking much about the future part that led up to it are things I have constant regrets about. But I did have a shitload of fun not thinking about the future, and through/after college. Overall life is good for me, but I cant help but think I'd be more FULFILLED if I had a job in a field that I had a degree in that I cared about.

Seems like a pretty common theme though.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Caring so much about money that I took exploitative jobs with bad companies, swallowing the illusion that they were opportunities to get ahead. I spent a fuckload of my youth generating a lot of money for shitheads just so I could buy slightly nicer stuff. What a waste of life, man.

Also the threesome thing.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

ForbiddenSock posted:

I was just wondering what some of you goons have gone through that you would like to try differently now that you know better.

I don't wanna pressure Jeffrey or anything but there's no way the forums backend can handle me answering this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive had ups and downs but so far its been really good now let me just send this picture of my genitals to my lover and not my entire phonebook including my boss, family, and local source of community moral authority ooooh shiiii-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If you end up in a situation where you get to a party that ends with crazy sex with three trans girls that call each other sister and the 50 year old dude they call "Daddy"...

Leave before you stick your dick in one, because some BAAAAD poo poo happened in taht house.

And then dont invite them all over to your house for another party a few months later.