Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The free gang tag contest thing is over. I'm sorry if you missed out. However, you can still add a gang tag to your own avatar by purchasing a New Avatar. See the last post in this thread for detailed instructions!

Here are the awesome final gang tags. Do read the thread to see lots more amazing entries that didn't quite make the cut!

-------original post below-----------

Hey everyone!

Drunk with my newfound power, but also being a very generous sort of goon, I feel like all of Trad Games deserves presents. How about gang tags? All those other subforums have loads of gang tags and we pretty much don't. Why not label every one of your posts with a signifier of your specific sub-interest within the trad games milieu, so we can amplify our divisions and identify our enemies more easily show the wider SA world how proud we are of our nerd poo poo with some sort of gaudy banner or annoyingly blinking dice or whatever the hell!

I'm an ideas man and I have the buttons of control that let me make gang tags happen, but YOU are the ones who must come up with the tags.

DIY recently did something similar and I think it makes sense to copy that formula a bit since it seems to have worked out for them:

Jaded Burnout posted:

The rough process is:
1. Any interested posters suggest some tags for their subcommunity or subcommunities
2. Some kind of voting on which are the best in their category
3. Any interested posters produce images for the winners
4. Some kind of voting on the best images for each tag
5. Anyone who participated in the thread and wants one or more of the tags gets them, free of charge

Please post your suggestions and what community you feel it represents.

yeah let's do that!

Please also link in to this thread from any TG thread that you think might be interested.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gang tag parameters, straight from the admins:

Absolute max width of 180 pixels. That's non-negotiable. Narrower is fine.
"a good height" is 20-40 pixels tall. There are many taller gang tags including some of mine, so that's a bit flexible, but the admins said to push for 20-40.
PNG, JPG, and GIF is OK. Static or a little bit of animation is OK but no epic movies playing out in your massive animated GIF please.

There are people on the mod/admin team who think that gang tag stacking like mine is excessive and are muttering about restrictions so if we want to avoid that I guess we should try not to flagrantly abuse gang tag height guidlines. :(

TG guidelines that I'll impose on top of the above:
-No gross/offensive poo poo obviously
-If you use a company's trademark you have to alter it to suit fair use guidelines, e.g. an obvious parody, you can't just plop a trademark into a tag and call it a day

I would like to see a general Trad Games gang tag in addition to tag options for the various subgenres, communities, and game-focuses we have in our many megathreads.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's got a garbage white background that I need to delete cause I was lazy, but think this should fit : https://imgur.com/gallery/uboTpKt

so more like this

and this is still really pushing the vertical limit

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Is there a file size limit?

Not explicitly. Admin said something vague about not too big/too animated.

The way this seems to work is I submit images for approval/loading to an admin in a thread in the mod forum, so they'll tell me if we're asking for something that is way out of line. But that would be annoying to get to that stage with an unusable tag, so I'm just asking folks to keep the filesize and animations to some gutfeels "reasonable" level. :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

then again I just noticed a mod with this gang tag

sooooo, let's apply Rule 0 and say the GM can ignore the rules whenever they feel like it if it makes the game better

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's all the scrunt material, if you want to do that
https://imgur.com/a/iEutM

like allll of it

e. this has some potential

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that seems fine to me
also the rule is about trademarks, like, if you use

all by itself with no modification, that's not OK.

also feel free to cheer on your favorites but I'm going to give everyone a while (like at least days, maybe a couple weeks) to submit options before we do some kind of voting thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pretty Dollies

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Last time I got a tag there was a two-tag per person limit, obviously Leper has 4 but is there a limit once the tags exist?

If you are buying yourself a custom title (which you can't do right now because the store is still closed), the character limit in the text area effectively limits you to a maximum of three.

I, however, have a different panel and can exceed that limit. I originally got four when a mod gave me a fourth one (I'd assumed I'd be losing one but they just tacked it on anyway) and now that I am drunk with power responsibly using my mod tools in a reasonable and respectful way, I can do that too.

However, when I brought up the question of what the current limits on gang tags are (turns out there is no hard rule documented anywhere right now), a few admins and mods were discussing it and one of the admins had an opinion of "nobody should have more than one gang tag" and also "max 50px is good" so while that's definitely not an admin/mod consensus, it suggests to me that should a consensus be reached, it will likely not be "just go hog wild who cares."

On that basis I would say that it's not so much "how many do you have" but how tall of a stack you'll wind up with. If you've already got a pretty tall tag like that ONLY TRUST YOUR FISTS one and you want another tall one maybe 2 is your limit?

But I would say that anyone can have at least two, and I'd put a third in for anyone that doesn't result in an excessively tall pile of tags. Also if you have a longatar that might affect things, I dunno, I forgot about those and will have to ask.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

So we can just post here and get one assigned to us by the magic of mod power, right?

Yeah I'm going to give folks more time to find the thread and make suggestions and make more options, there's no big rush. Then we'll settle on probably a general TG one and then perhaps one per megathread/topic that got made, and then I'll ask people to post which of the winners they want, and get the images uploaded (an admin does that so I'll request them all at once).

Then I can do the custom titling with my mod powers, so I'll go down the list and just do em all in batches or whatever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sorta surprised there's not been anything from the warhammer crew.

That Old Tree posted:

I think I need to sharpen or contrast the DM here or something, as it looks kind of muddy, but I've gotta go to work soon.

I like it sorta, but the D&D cartoon reference doesn't combo well with the miniatures hobby side? Maybe?

I'm an ideas man here. Can we do something with this classic?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

they don't all have to be ironic. Maybe something like: "storygames... fail forward" or "storygames... success, with consequences" or ?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the book of thai cuisine under the table

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I really like that, lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

can you do "crew" as "crüe" like Mötley Crüe, or is that too old of a reference nowadays

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

It's not old it's traditional

seasoned
time-tested
mature
well-established?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

let's keep the brainspray on the wall out of the gang tag, actually

why?
well, let me just say that the admins of SA have had to work on a policy about how to respond to suicidal posters/posts

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So this seems to be winding down. Let's say another 24 hours for any more submissions or ideas or refinements, and then I'll make a list with categories and we can vote!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I looked around a little, but it looks like the 40k font is hard to get ahold of! Which means photoshopping letters together probably, that's unfortunate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, there's this:
https://fontmeme.com/dawn-of-war-font/
The warhammer 40k: dawn of war game's font, supposedly, and it's not free.

There's also this:
which I found on google image search, but the link goes to this https://budgetfasr545.weebly.com/warhammer-40k-font.html which looks very shady to me, the reviews are obviously machine-generated/fake and I am not clicking that download button.

Go ahead and see what you can do tomorrow TOT, if you like! There's no big rush.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's also missing a lower-case q, and that lower-case x is weird (is it really an x?) and so is the y and z, so :shrug: gently caress if I know

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well like, I'm 89% sure that's either a fanmade thing attempting to be similar to 40k, or a totally unrelated font that some 40k nerd decided would serve.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TotalHell posted:

Here I was assuming the 40K font was just the big blocky sans serif font they used for the logo(s).

Yeah maybe it's that! I don't know how to search for that specifically. Googling shows other people looking for the font used in rules text.

TG does not appear to be populated by a bunch of photoshop wizards, unfortunately.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

space barbies is an absolute gem, thank you

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They seem slightly... blurry? Is that from resizing, or font smoothing or something?

I do like them though, they're fancy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hams is good! But looks faded/dark compared to space barbies

for a d20, that's pretty much a D&D thing now, yeah? I've seen "I only roll 20s" but maybe it could roll a 1 and just say "welp poo poo" or similar

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it owns and I'm sad that you guys will have to somehow choose between them for the 40k thread gang tag!

I know I said two days ago that I'd give this one more day but: I'm gonna be too busy to start voting until at least sunday, so keep working on any more tags if you got em

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK here's a full list, as best as I can cobble it together, with categories.

We are going to have a vote soon. Categories with only one entry automatically win! But only if at least one goon wants that tag.

There are some categories with no tags in them: haven't seen anything specific to Magic the Gathering, World of Darkness, Poker in the Rear, Werewolf/Mafia games, etc.

There are some categories that have tags that just say Traditional Games even though they're specific due to font choice, like the Mythos one. Animating them to have something game-specific might make sense.

:orks::frogsiren:24 hours, if there's no new entries by this time tomorrow I'm going to start voting:frogsiren::orks:

General TG

Night Horrors

Call of Cthulhu / Mythos

Minis painting/tabletop wargames (generic)

D&D

Warhammer 40k

FATAL & Friends

PbtA/BitD/storygames

Exalted

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's old, and probably too small.

Old is good, and there's no minimum size! But also that one already exists, right? If it does, I can add it to BTech goons without needing to get an admin to upload it first, but I'll need the actual SA-hosted URL, so we gotta find someone who has that tag.

mellonbread posted:

I didn't do the Magical Realm one. It was also That Old Tree.

Oh! Sorry I copied all the quotes into a text file and then tried to pare them down for size and get them organized and I probably hosed up somehow. I'll fix it when I put up a final list for voting.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Probably could come back and try to crop it a little better, but if we're coming down to the wire I might as well belch it out now as an option.

Yeah needs to be shorter.

That Old Tree posted:

The Night Horrors tags were meant to be WoD thread tags, though I imagine the Pentex round table comic one will win handily anyway.

OHHHhhhhh, okay I didn't get it lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It doesn't, to my knowledge? I made it as a possible emoticon before gangtags existed, but it was far too large. If it was actually used somewhere I have no knowledge of it.

I guess I've just seen it tons of times in your battletech LP, lol. No worries, it's a fine submission!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thank you for your enthusiasm! but I am not counting votes yet, let's get those final submissions in and I'll poste em up for voting this evening.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes sure. I'll push things out to tomorrow mid-day (my time, which is pacific US).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Jesus is there an upper limit to how many gang tags you can have? I want them all.

There is an upper limit to how many tags you can stack under your av, yes. I am breaking that limit but that is about to change!

Why?

Because I just found out that the "marquee" tag works in custom titles. After we pick the final titles (voting coming up soon!) I will select my favorites and put them into my own av and show off how the marquee thing works, but if you'd like to just use theater-of-the-mind for a moment, imagine all your tags floating past, moving from right to left, under your avatar, one after another. Just a smooth scroll of however many tags. Can you picture it? Glorious!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

I have a feeling that isn't going to work that well with some of the animated gangtags.

Yeah it's a slow scroll, if the animation loop completes in, say, four seconds, it probably works? I haven't timed it and in fact I suspect the speed depends on how each browser implements the marquee tag, but for some of these it won't look great.

But it's an option for anyone who wants 4+ tags, or more than one gangtag that includes a tall one, or has a tall avatar already and wants 2+ tags.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

:siren:VOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTE:siren:

I tried to put everything in the right category but if I hosed that up tell me right away! Maybe one or more of the General TG ones were supposed to be for D&D? :shrug:

Vote for your favorites. You can vote multiple times but don't go back and change your votes because I ain't reading the thread backwards. All your votes are weighted equally, e.g. you can't vote for the same tag thrice and have that outweigh someone else's one vote. All scorekeeping is subject to error and that's too bad. I'm the GM. Only one tag from each category will win and be added as an Official SA Gang Tag. After voting is over, then and only then, will I start taking requests for adding gang tags to your av. Please don't bother to request that yet thank you

For the categories with a lot of options there may be a runoff!
Depending on how many tags collect a decent number of votes, I'll pick the top two or three or maybe five-sh and do a runoff. There will definitely be a runoff for the general TG tag because it's so important.

For the categories with only one option, you should still vote because I'm not going to request upload of a gang tag if only like two people give a poo poo about it.

For the sake of shortness etc. I am stripping the quotes. But please express your gratitude to everyone who submitted one or more tags, because that was super cool and good of them. Especially That Old Tree who made like twenty tags.

General TG
a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.
g.
h.
i.
j.
k.

Minis painting / general tabletop wargames
a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.
g.
h.
i.
j.
k.
l.
m.

Boardgames
a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.
g.
h.
i.
j.
k.
l.
m.

World of Darkness / Night Horrors
a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.
g.
h.
i.
j.
k.
l.

Magic: The Gathering
a.
b.
c.

Warhammer 40k
a.
b.

Shadowrun but these are both too tall but we'll cut the winner down so vote anyway
a.
b.

PbtA/BitD/Storygames
a.
b.

Infinity
a.
b.

Call of Cthulhu / Mythos ? it just says trad games though so ??? poo poo I dunno
a.

Battletech
a.

D&D
a.

FATAL & Friends
a.

Exalted
a.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 29, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what, no I didn't, dunno what you're talking about, also I also didn't forget the other storygames entry, or the entire category, it was there all along hush

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

You now have two storygames/PbtA categories.

oh for gently caress's... ok fixed thank you lemon lime

just to clarify I was imagining folks would only vote for categories if they want a tag from that category because they play that game/post in that thread but yeah I'm not policing that so I guess you can do like PTN there and vote in every single category if you want to lol

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 28, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh!

The Thai Cuisine comes from the chick tract thing which I took to be general trad games but sure I tell you what, let's put them in both categories and see what happens

OK I did that, if you already voted feel free to edit your votes due to the changes I just made

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd seen it before but I thought it was about D&D, from the era of devil-worship-scare etc., except a parody of that. Your explanation makes sense though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

Only voted for the stuff in categories I felt relatively connected too. I'd like to note that if I had the chance, I would have voted for "Muscle Wizard" in general as well.

You can vote for two things in the same category if you want