Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tucker max cinematic blogosphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well there's a snype i will not sully with an edit

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't think Tucker Max and tardblog would be very well liked today. Maybe some sad keyboard warriors would defend those sites because THE PC POLICE IS BANNING ALL HUMOUR AND JOKES

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The fact that guys like Maddox and Tucker Max have virtually no cache today even though they had huge reader bases in their day speaks to their initial poor quality

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah even back when i read tucker when i was in high school and laughing at what a badass he was, i remember thinking "this guy cant write for poo poo", like in terms of show/tell etc it was just pure garbage writing and you were basically forced to recreate the story in your mind from the lovely prose

iirc in one of them he switches first/third person narrator, there's mixups with names, its just all very babbys first creative writing class

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
he ghostwrote tiffany haddish's memoir. for a while he didn't have a website but it's back now and I guess he's running a podcast? https://www.tuckermax.com/ the fucker never paid me for the editing i did for his lovely little blog ring. but there was at least one good writer, Gaijin Smash, about a big african-american dude's life in Japan. we setup a letter exchange between our schools, he was a really cool fellow. Wonder what he's been doing lately? https://gaijinsmashnet.wordpress.com/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

he ghostwrote tiffany haddish's memoir. for a while he didn't have a website but it's back now and I guess he's running a podcast? https://www.tuckermax.com/ the fucker never paid me for the editing i did for his lovely little blog ring. but there was at least one good writer, Gaijin Smash, about a big african-american dude's life in Japan. we setup a letter exchange between our schools, he was a really cool fellow. Wonder what he's been doing lately? https://gaijinsmashnet.wordpress.com/

ahaha gently caress sorry man i didnt know you copy edited tucker max

that wasnt a call out to you specificially. fwiw im referring to the quality of the writing around the year 2000, maybe up to '02 at the latest

e: wait why does tucker max get hired to ghostwrite a story when none of his stuff actually sells? (oh nevermind)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Nov 7, 2020

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I remember Gaijinsmash being pretty decent.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DreadUnknown posted:

I remember Gaijinsmash being pretty decent.

This is exactly who I thought of, too. I wonder what that dude's up to now. I found a blog entry from 2016 that said he's still in Japan but not as a teacher.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

For some reason, this reminded me Blue Apron Blues.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Does anyone else remember a site called whatever-dude.com or similar from around 2001-2003? I seem to remember having a few laughs there, and I think it was Maddoxish or goonish critique of pop culture and society.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you like early internet weirdos, you need to listen to the 100th episode of the F Plus.

https://thefpl.us/episode/100a

https://thefpl.us/episode/100b

There’s even a read from an old SA-Mart thread at the end.

The Uli section is the best. He’s my favorite internet weirdo, just a nice guy whose brain works in ways that I can’t comprehend.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Uli section is the best. He’s my favorite internet weirdo, just a nice guy whose brain works in ways that I can’t comprehend.

He's always been my favorite. All the updates from him have been really positive too, everything from holding down a job to getting over his feat of "blue water" (and becoming an avid swimmer in the process).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

He's always been my favorite. All the updates from him have been really positive too, everything from holding down a job to getting over his feat of "blue water" (and becoming an avid swimmer in the process).

And he’s actually done his projects instead of just talking about half-baked ideas like the Dozerfleet guy. Yeah, his novels are deeply... whatever is going on with his brain... but they’re finished and it’s really interesting seeing a perspective so different from nearly anyone else’s. He’s also better at verbalizing it than one of my other favorite internet weirdos, the hydrostatic weighing kid.

You know the one.

quote:

Wow, I cannot believe my mom stooped so low...

My mom called my doctor and said to him "What's the most accurate measurement for weighing?" The doctor said "An underwater weighing test" And just like that, my mom said "Yes. When can my son and my daughter can take it?" and the doc said "Today at 2pm."

So, I didn't bother taking a shower and so did my sister too, so I had to get into a special swimming suit(tight pants...Ugh).

My sister said "Can I pull my hair down to a ponytail?" The doctor said "No." So my sister with her long, blonde hair went underwater with 8 seconds and had she must enjoyed it..but I didn't.

My sister had to wear pants and a bra, so she enjoyed minutes of going underwater. I didn't take a shower and she didn't too.

Before she got into the tank, you see girls 'pretend' to pull their hair into ponytails, but they don't. That's what she did.

The reason for this topic to not get too confusing is that don't you guys like to see teenage girls in a tank with their hair and their body soaked and wet? That's the reason for this topic.

You want a detailed summary of what happened today? Alright, here goes:

My mom wanted to do something instead of weighing myself on a scale. She heard about a underwater weighing test from my doctor last year and she wanted to give it a try to both, myself and my sister.

She called the doctor and wanted to schedule an appointment for my sister and I and today was the only day they could get us in. So my mom told both of us you don't need to take a shower if you don't want to(since I got up at 12pm and she got up at 12:30p.m.) It goes on from there with the underwater weighing at the doctor's office.

My sister constantly talks about her hair. "Should I wash it?" "Should I pull my hair up or leave it down?" Stuff like that. It wasn't my idea to take this underwater weighing thing. The doctor puts you in a tank (and I didn't have a shower), makes you do certain things of breathing, and you put your head underwater for a few seconds. Not hard at all.

To answer you question, before my sister and I got into the tank, the doctor did a basic weight test then I got into the tank and did some breathing excerises to see how my lungs would be situated underwater. Then the doctor took the temperature of the water inside the tank. After I taken my underwater tests, I had to stick my head underwater for 8 seconds and it was done. 30 minutes its all it take.

That one started in either the IGN message boards in 2007 or LUE on GameFAQS around 04 or so. I think the LUE origin is correct, since I remember reading it in high school so 07 would be too late, but memory is imperfect soooo :shrug:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ahhh Dozerfleet is such a weird dude.
Enjoy this weird rabbithole.
So weird that FPlus did not one, but two separate episodes on him.

Part 1
Part 2
Enjoy!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
E:always double check your bookmarks didn’t refresh while you were clicking a thread before replying, kids!

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Nov 9, 2020

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Pastry of the Year posted:

I kinda remember something from a very long time ago, but I don't know how to go about finding it again. It was a series of posts on, I think, blogger.com or one of those free, super-easy blog hosting sites, and it presented itself as (I think) some sort of series of rules expansions for the old TSR Marvel Super-Heroes RPG, but every post very quickly went off the rails and the author went from talking about Galactus to trying to apply MSH RPG rules to every aspect of what seemed to be a very strange and troubled life.

This was HYBRID RPG

https://web.archive.org/web/20030213163300/http://perso.wanadoo.fr/philippe.tromeur/hybrid.htm

Unfortunately like a lot of early internet weirdness when you look back at it now it reads a lot more like untreated schizophrenia which is way less funny than it was at the time.

Also:

https://hybrid-rpg.blogspot.com/

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

DreadUnknown posted:

Ahhh Dozerfleet is such a weird dude.
Enjoy this weird rabbithole.
So weird that FPlus did not one, but two separate episodes on him.

Part 1
Part 2
Enjoy!

The Dozerfleet stuff fascinates me. Every time I look at it I find new depths that are somehow simultaneously both weirder and more boring than the last.

I think it's the fact that he writes millions of words and spends so much time cataloguing every inane thought, yet he clearly has absolutely zero imagination - which is why all his characters are the pens on his desk, stuffed toys he's seen, or triangles he drew once, and why every story is just a mouthpiece for his racism/misogyny/repressed religious beliefs - hence the "comic" about sentient bicycles that instantly turns into a rant about feminism, communism, and arabs.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Nov 9, 2020

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Today I finally got what I’ve been trying to do for the past seven years and I moved back to MA, but it has me intensely bummed because it involves leaving behind most of my friends for a while since visiting either way with the pandemic going on ain’t happening. I’m in an extended stay with poo poo internet until I can find an apartment, which is hard with people not wanting to show places with the pandemic. I’m starting a job tomorrow that I’m anxious about because even though it’s in a field where I’m pretty good at my job (safety), it’s a completely different setting (I did it at a power plant that was being built and spun up. This is a warehouse) so I feel like I’m going in not knowing what’s going on.

I’m just rambling because it’s that weird first lonely night by myself in a new place.

I don't know what to say, so I'll just say this: I hear you.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
In the early days of anonymous slashdot posting there was the “Natalie portman naked and petrified” meme that ran around. The dude that started that had a legit statue fetish, it was very weird.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

xiw posted:

This was HYBRID RPG

https://web.archive.org/web/20030213163300/http://perso.wanadoo.fr/philippe.tromeur/hybrid.htm

Unfortunately like a lot of early internet weirdness when you look back at it now it reads a lot more like untreated schizophrenia which is way less funny than it was at the time.

Also:

https://hybrid-rpg.blogspot.com/

Thanks for remembering / finding this. I never really thought it was funny (although certain chunks of it are, unintentionally, like a discussion of Xena and Hercules somehow digressing into a discussion of... Louisiana sodomy laws) as much as it was really interesting. Like, this fellow has consumed and committed to memory (with varying degrees of accuracy) just an astonishing amount of popular culture and RPG rulebooks and flows between dozens of examples that have no apparent relationship to each other in order to more fully explain a "rule" he introduced but did not completely clarify.

And then there will be a brownie recipe.

That's all re: the first link, which is what I remember reading. That second link, which is still being updated, doesn't feel at all like that, and were it not for the name and the fixed-width font, I wouldn't have any reason to believe it's the same person.

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Nov 9, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

gleebster posted:

I don't know what to say, so I'll just say this: I hear you.

Wrong thread! I thought I had the reason your day sucked thread.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In the early 90s, when Doom wads were the biggest thing on the net, George J. Fiffy II, otherwise known as "King ReoL", was deeply embedded in the modding scene. He was best known for his REoL TOUGH series of maps, which were rudimentary at best. While he did turn out a handful of "good for the early 90s" maps, he never really figured out

Anyway, just making bad Doom maps isn't that big a deal. Lots of people did that. What makes George notable was the way he presented those maps, with crazy person descriptions, and his website, which included such gems as this post from September 2nd, 2001. (lol old SA ruled)

quote:

What a terrible thing to happen, at a not so great time, not that any time is.
We've all seen the recent attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, with FAR WORSE OUTCOMES than anything ever seen. To sum it up in short, "Dubya" stated that terrorism has gone too far, and it must be stopped once and for all. I hope that all works out quickly, and the many years of continued presence is to keep the peace.

However, in an extremely smaller scale, this type of activity also occurrs on the Internet as well. Some crackers attacked web sites that cost companies millions of dollars to fix and lost buisness. The most common terror is to inundate sites and establishments with overwhelming amounts of hate mail and message postings on guestbooks and forums. The last case is what We at REoL TOUGH are facing. We, like good ol' "Dubya", are about to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! THE TERROR MUST STOP!
Recently, the REoL TOUGH FORUMS became the most recent attack victim of a now defunct site, somethingawful.com. This crowd is known to cause massive damage to the reputation and pleasure of many forums and guestbooks, polluting these communication entities with very hateful messages, mostly containing extreme vulgarity, Goatse images, and in rare cases, overloading forums and guestbooks with so many graphics and HTML code to render them painfully slow, and long. The damage can be so great, moderators of these forums and guestbooks usually wind up shutting them down for a time, and usually, to never open again.

We here at REoL TOUGH will NOT RUN AWAY IN FEAR when this entity decides (if planned) to wage another attack on our Forums. We will eliminate the problematic posts when we can, gag or completely BAN users, and rebuild the Forums to their former, inviting selves. I, however, left an example or two to show you what horrible things these people are willing to do to ruin the reputation and safety of those who run the site, and those who frequently visit and read/post at the Forums.

So far, outside of the aformentioned examples, it is of great pleasure, as of this writing, that the Forums are cleaned and repaired from the SA Attack yesterday morning. When this is posted, or when you visit, it might be a different story, nevertheless, we are not allowing them to win the war, and my determination to keep YOU safe, out of harm's way when we can.

If you own a site that has been attacked by groups, especially from the somethingawful regeme (but not limited to them), it's time we all get together and take a serious plan of LEGAL, LEGITIMATE ACTION against these rougue internet sites. I know the best way to get to these groups, which is NOT TO SPAM BACK THEIR FORUMS, GUESTBOOKS, OR OTHER "FIGHT-FIRE-WITH-FIRE" TECHNIQUES! We must stand STRONGER against these entities, we must be SMARTER as well (not to hard to do). Most improtantly, WE MUST NOT GIVE IN TO THEIR COWARDLY ATTACKS!! We will stand strong, and will come out on top!

Throughout the 7 1/2 year history of REoL TOUGH, we have been attacked during the BBS days, and with the attempts to defame and ruin our reputation, we stood strong. Shaken? Yes. Proud? HELL YES! We bounced back beautifully.
A DooM (as in, the PC game) site attacked the site and it's reputation, and once again, we stand proud and strong in the end. Thanks to our relentless persuit of providing great gaming fun, and the loyal support of the REoL TOUGH fans, and the REoL TOUGH Militia. We survived it all, and came out the victor.

This is NOT to say that this is going to be an easy challenge to face. We may take many hits, lose some support and take a blow to two. This is the biggest and worst terror attack on us that We've ever seen, and for those involved, I have one thing to say to you:

YOU WILL NOT WIN!

It is about time all of us site owners band together to put an end to these cowardly attacks on the kind people of Cyberspace. It is time to show these people that We're not taking this any longer, and the only people going down will be the attackers, and their hosted sites.
I would like anyone who is willing to support this effort to E-mail me at THE CLICK OF YOUR MOUSE, to draw up battle plans and intellegence against these cowardly people who have to knock down the pride of those who have much to be proud of.

We just want to state that we are not in any form, mimmicking the current disaster here in this country, but the timing and cowardly acts, albeit in a relatively very tiny scale, that we, too, must put an end to this cowardly act, and finally, take serious action, because of the recent tragedy, we also want our problems to come to a halt. Sadly, it took such a tragedy to put our foot down on our own problems.

That's today's update. We'll keep you posted on any developments as they are warranted.

The other thing that made George notable was that when he finally stopped making Doom wads he moved on to his second great interest - reviewing elevators and escalators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uZ-VvfUUE

There have been some posts about him on SA, as you might expect. This one is from 2016.

I guess given his continued online presence this guy isn't just an early internet weirdo, he's an always internet weirdo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Two that stick with me is the lady who allegedly lived in a tarp tent near some road, claimed to be a super genius and spent all day naked, masturbating and writing code.
She posted fairly convincing photos of the situation but she was insufferable and clearly suffering from a potpourri of mental issues.

The other is the woman who made daily vlogs about how she and her mom had their lives saved by Hugh Jackman. Every day was a new adventure!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Jennifer Diane Reitz. I’m mobile posting so I’m unable to post the comic that most folks probably know her by (“do you know what my kokoro wish is?”) but quite notably waaaaaaay back in the day owned the site that what was once THE resource for anime info in the late 90s/early 00s (I’m blanking on the name). She sold the site for a ridiculous amount for the time period, potentially a quarter-million, but turned around and spent it frivolously on anime merch, which back then had to be imported at high cost.

Also notable for being at first an early resource, then one to avoid, for transwomen (because she was and probably still is a transmedicalist, meaning she believes you MUST have surgery and be on hormones to be trans - this is way outdated and gatekeepy).

Kula Bocca
Jan 11, 2006

After the White House what is there to do but drink?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Jennifer Diane Reitz. I’m mobile posting so I’m unable to post the comic that most folks probably know her by (“do you know what my kokoro wish is?”) but quite notably waaaaaaay back in the day owned the site that what was once THE resource for anime info in the late 90s/early 00s (I’m blanking on the name). She sold the site for a ridiculous amount for the time period, potentially a quarter-million, but turned around and spent it frivolously on anime merch, which back then had to be imported at high cost.

Also notable for being at first an early resource, then one to avoid, for transwomen (because she was and probably still is a transmedicalist, meaning she believes you MUST have surgery and be on hormones to be trans - this is way outdated and gatekeepy).

It was HappyPuppy, a website I used to go to for demos and FAQs back when the web was new. I was pretty surprised to hear what had happened to it, to say the least.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

Two that stick with me is the lady who allegedly lived in a tarp tent near some road, claimed to be a super genius and spent all day naked, masturbating and writing code.
She posted fairly convincing photos of the situation but she was insufferable and clearly suffering from a potpourri of mental issues.

Faye Kane was the name.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I wonder what happened to stileproject.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Sweevo posted:

The Dozerfleet stuff fascinates me. Every time I look at it I find new depths that are somehow simultaneously both weirder and more boring than the last.

I think it's the fact that he writes millions of words and spends so much time cataloguing every inane thought, yet he clearly has absolutely zero imagination - which is why all his characters are the pens on his desk, stuffed toys he's seen, or triangles he drew once, and why every story is just a mouthpiece for his racism/misogyny/repressed religious beliefs - hence the "comic" about sentient bicycles that instantly turns into a rant about feminism, communism, and arabs.

Yeah it kind of boggles my mind how one person can poo poo out so many incredibly uninspired concepts, honestly I wish I had that level of creative output.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Faye Kane was the name.

Didn't she also get gang-banged on the reg by a weird group of people living in a nearby cabin?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Teenage nerd journal-writer and POE favorite Ben Schumin is now adult nerd journal-writer Ben Schumin. He’s still writing, and he’s still the world’s biggest fan of Today’s Special.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hanales posted:

In the early days of anonymous slashdot posting there was the “Natalie portman naked and petrified” meme that ran around. The dude that started that had a legit statue fetish, it was very weird.

that guy's in the OP, and remembering he existed is why i made this thread lmao

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

that guy's in the OP, and remembering he existed is why i made this thread lmao

Ha! I missed that. That dude was part of a slashdot troll club. I probably have a picture of him somewhere.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

echopapa posted:

Teenage nerd journal-writer and POE favorite Ben Schumin is now adult nerd journal-writer Ben Schumin. He’s still writing, and he’s still the world’s biggest fan of Today’s Special.

I love that he is now a train driver and has a partner and hobbies and is getting his health together :3:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Faye Kane was the name.

I was coming here to post about this one.

It was almost certainly wank fetish fiction, but the story was that she endured a lifetime of sexual abuse, leaving her with a constant urge to bate and with an all-encompassing rape fetish.

It's been nearly twenty years since i read her blog so I'm doing some paraphrasing, but she felt as though being an "autistic gently caress pig" was her sole defining characteristic and eventually she became unable to function in her high- paying computer toucher job and in society as a whole.

She dug herself a pit on a highway median strip somewhere in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (iirc), lined it with tarps and blankets, and covered it over with additional tarps and brush.

She siphoned electricity from a solar powered highway sign, enough to apparently run an air conditioner, a pc, and like a toaster oven.

She built the ultimate loving goon lair and just chilled in it for free, constantly grinding her pud into a paste and being online. The story sticks with me because her existence, though fabricated, was idyllic and i still strive for some version of her lifestyle

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The fact that she's named "Faye Kane" should be the giveaway that it's fictional

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That's who I came here to post. I think happypuppy was, by some metric, the most visited site on the internet in the mid 90s. I thought it was pretty cool when I was 8. Kudos to her for living the dream and using her dotcom millionaire money to buy a mountain of imported anime swag instead of launching a lovely business empire.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I mostly remember her trans material being extremely gender-essentialist. She had some gender assessment quiz (the COGIATI, iirc?) on her site, which I took for ha-has; I, a mostly gender-conforming cis woman, scored as "androgynous," probably because I correctly answered the math and spatial-reasoning questions, and we all know girls can't do math!!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I've heard stories about that horrible test- rotating shapes in your head is a big determinant for if you're trans, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This is who I thought of first and,

"kokoro wish" is still in my personal lexicon as "undeserved narcissistic fantasy centered around another person's about-face for an (incorrectly) perceived wrong". I wish it were a mainstream colloquialism; it's an eminently useful term.