Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"the game is done except for art" is very telling about what the context of their fight was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Lunar Republic people. Not My Little Pony fans, people who were trying to become citizens of the Moon before actually going there.

This unrelated proto-incel: https://logological.org/girlfriend

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Skratte posted:

Gonterman's a big genuine incel now, surprising no one.

I was actually following Gonterman's Deviantart account when he started sliding towards MRA poo poo. I'm sometimes concerned I was partially responsible; he was posting an active project at the time, with a god-awful female main character, and I left a lot of comments about my problems with her, until he started posting MRA links at me? I have to imagine it's a coincidence, but sometimes I wonder if I can add "radicalized David Gonterman by trying to convince him to write a realistic woman" to my Internet Resume.

That said, Gonterman has always been a shithead. I think I've told this story on SA before, but way back in the late '90's, I was involved with the MST3K fan community that had some ties to Gonterman, including a kid who was working with Gonterman on some projects. The kid was in his late teens and seemed to be a sincere friend to a guy who wasn't easy to deal with... and Gonterman sold him out to Portal of Evil to try and get street cred there. It didn't work (IIRC, the stuff Gonterman linked was just mediocre art of professional wrestlers as furries, which wasn't notable even back in 1999), and it always just struck me as a bizarre act of cruelty, especially targeted at someone who had been nothing but kind to him. (I still know the guy Gonterman tried to sell out, and he's 100% kind and guileless, so I don't think there was some secret drama.)

I think he's kind of a tricky figure, since in retrospect, he's clearly neurodivergent in a way that causes some functional problems, but he's also clearly a poorly-socialized and unpleasant person even beyond that. He's just nasty in a way that a lot of these weirdos aren't.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Pick posted:

This is who I thought of first and,

"kokoro wish" is still in my personal lexicon as "undeserved narcissistic fantasy centered around another person's about-face for an (incorrectly) perceived wrong". I wish it were a mainstream colloquialism; it's an eminently useful term.

I recall the sourcecode for what he did finish was released at some point, with people judging it as actually drat good code and most of a game for something that was basically a personal favour for a vanity project, done in his spare time. Like a lot of things to do with JDR, the closer you look, the worse it becomes.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And he’s actually done his projects instead of just talking about half-baked ideas like the Dozerfleet guy. Yeah, his novels are deeply... whatever is going on with his brain... but they’re finished and it’s really interesting seeing a perspective so different

That one started in either the IGN message boards in 2007 or LUE on GameFAQS around 04 or so. I think the LUE origin is correct, since I remember reading it in high school so 07 would be too late, but memory is imperfect soooo :shrug:

Yeah, Uli wrote a dang book (or several???) and while his fiction is predictably dense and difficult to get through, his writing about his own life is fascinating

And I can all but confirm the LUE origin, that was the only board I was surfing in '04 and it became a meme between me and a friend I was only really hanging out with around that time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Riatsala posted:

Yeah, Uli wrote a dang book (or several???) and while his fiction is predictably dense and difficult to get through, his writing about his own life is fascinating

two novels, and while they are not good they are definitely interesting and unique

he's also published a video game and is continually tinkering with another that will never be released, so he's also got an admirable work ethic

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah jeez, I think Ive only managed to get a single full album out ever. Im a bit jealous.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I didn't realize there was a second Uli novel. I'll have to pick that up; I love Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters dearly, although I've only gotten like 30 pages in.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Åpoo

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Quid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge7mozA-ptI

This is my oldest internet memory outside of clicking on Diddy Kong's hat to get into the secret area of Nintendo Power on AOL,

I remember finding his MySpace(2007?) account by accident, at the time he was in his 20s, gay, and working at Walgreens in Arizona.

Certainly hope his life is more exciting, and I hope he’s got a bf

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Pick posted:

"kokoro wish" is still in my personal lexicon as "undeserved narcissistic fantasy centered around another person's about-face for an (incorrectly) perceived wrong". I wish it were a mainstream colloquialism; it's an eminently useful term.

Not entirely related, but that always reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zBTF4INW5g

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I remember on the early internet there was a site where this guy would post amusing but mostly benign little pranks. One time he found a pedestal for a statue and made his own fake one, which stayed there for years. I don't remember much else about it, but it was very :unsmith:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Pick posted:

Wondering if the fact that they could both scratch their ankles if their arms completely unfolded was an intentional detail has bothered me off and on for decades.

There was this guy, can’t remember his name, who had a very involved fantasy life about being in a gang of murderous preteen boys and he would write up detailed stories about their exploits, often with illustrations. He had deep lore about all of them- pretty sure they were based on a circle of friends he hung out with in middle school- and every part of it was extremely discomfiting, tho fascinating. I feel like he could have gone on to be either an extremely prolific outsider artist or serial killer and I wish I could track him down to see. Pretty sure I found him because he was sorted into the same group of weirdos as Dragonguyver on POE, though he made that dude seem pretty well adjusted by comparison.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I remembered one; he was a furry with a fursona of a black and white wolf with earphones (like a DJ, I guess) and he was obsessed with commissioning art of his fursona. It got to the point he actually lost his home and was blacklisted by a large number of artists.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Thermos posted:

I remember on the early internet there was a site where this guy would post amusing but mostly benign little pranks. One time he found a pedestal for a statue and made his own fake one, which stayed there for years. I don't remember much else about it, but it was very :unsmith:

The first thing I thought of when you mentioned early internet and benign pranks is a site called cockeyed.com. I don't know if they pulled off the stunt you described, but it sounds like something they would do, and a trip to web.archive.org might solve the mystery.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

mysterious frankie posted:

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

I'm guessing this is the guy from the deviantart thread who had drawings of young teen skaters who were bashing in the faces of security guards or kids or something and had foreshortened angles of shoes mid-curbstomp?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone remember the ChicksSuck guy?

It was a lovely blog by some dude that was really bitter about his ex and wrote juvenile "humor" posts about her and all of womankind.

I think it ended because he got a girlfriend that finally cured his brain worms.

Edit: Holy gently caress he wrote a book called My Struggle.
gently caress that dude hahahah

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Dec 4, 2020

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone remember the ChicksSuck guy?

It was a lovely blog by some dude that was really bitter about his ex and wrote juvenile "humor" posts about her and all of womankind.

I think it ended because he got a girlfriend that finally cured his brain worms.

Edit: Holy gently caress he wrote a book called My Struggle.
gently caress that dude hahahah

I didn't know Hitler was an incel

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sentient Data posted:

I'm guessing this is the guy from the deviantart thread who had drawings of young teen skaters who were bashing in the faces of security guards or kids or something and had foreshortened angles of shoes mid-curbstomp?

That sounds right. I want to say the violence ranged from adults to children, and there was written fiction to go with some of the pictures. When I saw the stuff it was on a personal site though, not deviantart.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

evobatman posted:

Does anyone else remember a site called whatever-dude.com or similar from around 2001-2003? I seem to remember having a few laughs there, and I think it was Maddoxish or goonish critique of pop culture and society.

Yea! I remember it being in the same vein as xe/dinosaur Dracula and I-mockery. But hasn’t been around in 20 years so could be off

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Years ago, 2013 maybe, I somehow crossed paths with an early internet "celebrity"...

My buddy and I had gone out bar hopping, so we called a cab to drive us home. Since the cab driver was cash-only, we had to stop at a gas station on the way back. While my friend runs inside to use the ATM, I was casually chatting with the driver. I remember recognizing something in his voice, and then I looked up at him and saw the patch of white hair. It was Gorgeous. loving. George.

I talked with him for a bit about his old show and whatnot. He said he had some loose plans to do more public access stuff, but he had a lot going on in his life too. Honestly, felt bad for the dude.

I'm proud to say, I asked him if he had a business card and he gave me one! I have George's direct line, or maybe not, who knows if he's still freelancing as a taxi service 7 years later.

I won't post picture proof of it for obvious reasons, so you'll just have to trust me on this one.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Pinball posted:

I remembered one; he was a furry with a fursona of a black and white wolf with earphones (like a DJ, I guess) and he was obsessed with commissioning art of his fursona. It got to the point he actually lost his home and was blacklisted by a large number of artists.

You talking bout the dude that was still getting commissions while living in his car? He acted like an addict.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DicktheCat posted:

You talking bout the dude that was still getting commissions while living in his car? He acted like an addict.

Furries can get way too into their fursonas

Made me remember 2, the Ranting Gryphon and evidently he is still around and still going by that name, and is still a tremendous dipshit

https://twitter.com/2_gryphon/status/1328007687200600064?s=20

Heath has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Dec 5, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Violet_Sky posted:

I didn't know Hitler was an incel

According to one account by a woman who claims she dated him a couple times in the late 1920s, he might've been a no-poo poo volcel.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

wait which guy was gonterman again? the one with the weird cheap anime comics that made no sense and were terrible?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Mx. posted:

wait which guy was gonterman again? the one with the weird cheap anime comics that made no sense and were terrible?

A bunch of insane furry and/or Sonic and/or anime stuff, yeah. One of them was a webcomic about a guy with a symbiotic fursuit, and they fought crime or something -- like, an evil fursuit, I think? Also a Sonic fanfic/comic series about his self-insert, who had his arm blown off by a militant Afrocentric history teacher and then got transported to the Sonic world where it turns out he's Robotnik's long-lost son. There was also a Sailor Moon fanfic series where his self-insert was instead Sailor Moon's long-lost brother? Gonterman was, and probably still is, one of those guys who just created interchangable wads of terrible fanart about whatever he was obsessed with at the moment, often using the same or very similar self-insert characters and obsession topics (pretty sure the Sonic fanfic also involved a fursuit, albeit not a sentient symbiote that time); the lines between his pieces get very blurry.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I was in the apartment the night Jenni of Jennicam ended up having sex on camera. Heard nothing from the bedroom but everyone in the apartment was dead silent when they figured out what was happening.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Antivehicular posted:

A bunch of insane furry and/or Sonic and/or anime stuff, yeah. One of them was a webcomic about a guy with a symbiotic fursuit, and they fought crime or something -- like, an evil fursuit, I think? Also a Sonic fanfic/comic series about his self-insert, who had his arm blown off by a militant Afrocentric history teacher and then got transported to the Sonic world where it turns out he's Robotnik's long-lost son. There was also a Sailor Moon fanfic series where his self-insert was instead Sailor Moon's long-lost brother? Gonterman was, and probably still is, one of those guys who just created interchangable wads of terrible fanart about whatever he was obsessed with at the moment, often using the same or very similar self-insert characters and obsession topics (pretty sure the Sonic fanfic also involved a fursuit, albeit not a sentient symbiote that time); the lines between his pieces get very blurry.

In his 30s mid-20s he had an internet "relationship" with a teenage (maybe underage?) girl, wrote her into his Sonic fanfic, and then used his self-insert to deliver long polemics about how pure their love was and that he totally wasn't obsessed with sex and she shouldn't worry about his intentions because "that's just your puberty talking."

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Dec 5, 2020

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yep! I believe one of those polemics was specifically addressed to the teenage girl's parents. Just loving dreadful.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I just looked it up and he was mid-20s at the time, but she was 15.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580504&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=118#post424223744

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

Yep! I believe one of those polemics was specifically addressed to the teenage girl's parents. Just loving dreadful.

I think the F Plus read that one in their hundredth episode greatest hits style thing. If that’s the polemic you’re talking about it was some pure :stonk: for sure.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea! I remember it being in the same vein as xe/dinosaur Dracula and I-mockery. But hasn’t been around in 20 years so could be off

I looked it up on the wayback machine. It didn't age well.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Pastry of the Year posted:

The first thing I thought of when you mentioned early internet and benign pranks is a site called cockeyed.com. I don't know if they pulled off the stunt you described, but it sounds like something they would do, and a trip to web.archive.org might solve the mystery.

I loved Cockeyed! "How Much Is Inside?" was my favorite I think, but the elaborate costumes Rob Cockerham made. I looked him up a while ago and he's still updating the site, which is wonderful.

AND he is the fake sculpture guy!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Heath posted:

Furries can get way too into their fursonas

Made me remember 2, the Ranting Gryphon and evidently he is still around and still going by that name, and is still a tremendous dipshit

https://twitter.com/2_gryphon/status/1328007687200600064?s=20

dunking on 2 and his dipshit brand of ""centrism"" is evergreen

at least he no longer gets invited to major conventions to give his comedy routine

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This is exactly who I thought of, too. I wonder what that dude's up to now. I found a blog entry from 2016 that said he's still in Japan but not as a teacher.

Here are links to his blogs. First one is his newest one bottom one is the old one that we all know in love. Like you said though he has not updated anything since 2016. Sounds like he is probably still living in Japan as a normal salary man/family man. Good for him!

https://gaijinchronicles.wordpress.com/

https://gaijinsmashnet.wordpress.com/

I loved his blog growing up and it inspired me to go teach English overseas. I really doubt I was the only person who got this idea first from this blog because of him. I had a great time teaching over there and thank him for his work!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember a lot of this stuff posted on Portal of Evil.

One that came into peoples memories recently was Alisa-Chan, later Alisa-Kiss. She was a cosplayer who was known for having sexy cosplay photos posted on her site when she was still under aged and taken by her dad. She was popular enough for some artists to use as a model for characters such as Supergirl. She eventually started a softcore website and renamed herself to Alisa-kiss and just became another slightly nerdy and naked girl on the internet. Then Charlottesville happened and she and her Husband were seen marching with the Nazis screaming "Jews will not replace us" and her Husband carrying a shield with nazi symbology on it.

Apparently this was a secret to a lot of people, including the guy who ran her site. He pretty much instantly shut the site down and said "wow what a piece of poo poo!!". She pretty much dug her grave and put herself in it during an interview where she was all "well, someone has to defend white people from the fake news" or some other garbage.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

twistedmentat posted:

I remember a lot of this stuff posted on Portal of Evil.

One that came into peoples memories recently was Alisa-Chan, later Alisa-Kiss. She was a cosplayer who was known

Wow, I of course remember her and remember being shocked when it came out that those famous Street Fighter Cammy cosplay butt shots were taken by her dad. For some strange reason I am not really shocked that she is all about white power but also had no clue she was still a thing and had a site still going.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicToast posted:

Wow, I of course remember her and remember being shocked when it came out that those famous Street Fighter Cammy cosplay butt shots were taken by her dad. For some strange reason I am not really shocked that she is all about white power but also had no clue she was still a thing and had a site still going.

I am curious but also scared to find out how long she was having her dad take her pictures because she did eventually do semi-nude stuff.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
That reminded me of Usagi Kou and her super drama filled Sailor Moon cosplay group. I guess she's still doing cosplay and is on tumblr. I remember all the drama about her being an absolutely atrocious person to live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tulalip Tulips posted:

That reminded me of Usagi Kou and her super drama filled Sailor Moon cosplay group. I guess she's still doing cosplay and is on tumblr. I remember all the drama about her being an absolutely atrocious person to live with.

There is a name I haven't heard in a long time. I never knew much about it, but my serious cosplay friends had some beef with her online, though it was 100% started by Kou, who probably just looked at people on cosplay forums that did similar costumes to her and went after them.

I was thinking about other Down the Rabbit Hole videos and that reminded me of Spoony. Early youtube had lots of people doing bad game reviews, like its crazy to think AVGN is still going, but everyone focused on console games it seemed and as far as I could tell no one was doing PC game reviews which is hilarious because there were so many bad PC games that dwarfed the console games. I guess the bar for publishing PC games was fairly low, but PCs weren't a common household thing at the time most of these people were growing up so no one thought to do reviews of old FMV CD-Rom games. His early stuff was pretty decent for early youtube, though he did give off the "kid who's a bit too into knives" vibe. He has some great playthroughs of Phantasmagoria 2 and Ripper, and as I said a really good FMV Hell series. Though I guess as he became more popular he started branching out with different videos. I know I stopped watching when he basically just talked about wrestling all the time. Anyways, I saw he moved over to That Guy With Glasses/Channel Awesome but apparently his mental problems and a bunch of other stuff took their toll and he basically turned into a slow motion trainwreck.

It is fascinating that some of these people literally started making videos in their basements or bedrooms and if they didn't burn out or let it go to their head or turn out to be sex monsters they built a career out of it. Youtube would not exist for these people but as it became more mainstream it seems to wage an active war against these kinds of creators and favors garbage like 5 minute craft and loves idiots with masks whining about Brie Larsen. A little off topic but all those early youtube creators definitely fit in the criteria of early internet weirdos.

EDIT: I checked the wayback machine to see what portal of evil mirrors they had and there's quite a lot.
Becuase we're goons, here's the porn page from 2005
https://web.archive.org/web/20041206064427/http://www.portalofevil.com/archives/EntertainmentPornography.html
I wonder what the guys who ran Butt Machine Boys are doing these days.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 10:54 on Jan 2, 2021