Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This thread has potential, so I'm sticking it for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I kinda remember something from a very long time ago, but I don't know how to go about finding it again. It was a series of posts on, I think, blogger.com or one of those free, super-easy blog hosting sites, and it presented itself as (I think) some sort of series of rules expansions for the old TSR Marvel Super-Heroes RPG, but every post very quickly went off the rails and the author went from talking about Galactus to trying to apply MSH RPG rules to every aspect of what seemed to be a very strange and troubled life.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wheatpuppy posted:

Who was the guy who used to post here, and all over the internet, about the CIA beaming messages into his brain via microwave?

"the" guy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oxphocker posted:

I remember a site where this English guy had a German girlfriend and the entire site was just a list of all the things they would argue about.

He even adapted it into a book.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

xiw posted:

This was HYBRID RPG

https://web.archive.org/web/20030213163300/http://perso.wanadoo.fr/philippe.tromeur/hybrid.htm

Unfortunately like a lot of early internet weirdness when you look back at it now it reads a lot more like untreated schizophrenia which is way less funny than it was at the time.

Also:

https://hybrid-rpg.blogspot.com/

Thanks for remembering / finding this. I never really thought it was funny (although certain chunks of it are, unintentionally, like a discussion of Xena and Hercules somehow digressing into a discussion of... Louisiana sodomy laws) as much as it was really interesting. Like, this fellow has consumed and committed to memory (with varying degrees of accuracy) just an astonishing amount of popular culture and RPG rulebooks and flows between dozens of examples that have no apparent relationship to each other in order to more fully explain a "rule" he introduced but did not completely clarify.

And then there will be a brownie recipe.

That's all re: the first link, which is what I remember reading. That second link, which is still being updated, doesn't feel at all like that, and were it not for the name and the fixed-width font, I wouldn't have any reason to believe it's the same person.

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Nov 9, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Thermos posted:

I remember on the early internet there was a site where this guy would post amusing but mostly benign little pranks. One time he found a pedestal for a statue and made his own fake one, which stayed there for years. I don't remember much else about it, but it was very :unsmith:

The first thing I thought of when you mentioned early internet and benign pranks is a site called cockeyed.com. I don't know if they pulled off the stunt you described, but it sounds like something they would do, and a trip to web.archive.org might solve the mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Free Market Mambo posted:

I think that guy was called Nemper, super creepy.

I'm pretty inured to online weirdness, but that guy's "art" is some of the most legit unsettling poo poo I have ever seen, and I'm sure the FBI has one agent for whom this creep is their entire job.