Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if I'm reading the tutorial sheet right, I can see a few potential ways we can start building our character.

A- Jack of all trades- We don't know what the game will throw at us, but we know we already start with a penalty when talking to people from the Black Crown corruption and seem more geared towards wrecking faces than diplomacy. Personally, I'm against this option early on.

B- Becomes the best at fighting- We know that there's something involving seas of flesh, we know we have to kill at least 7 people, and there's horrible mutants that think we look delicious. Focus on making them dead before they make us dead.

C- Survivability- We know we have a skillset that uses our HP to fuel its abilities, we know we have to worry about our anxiety, we know we have to worry about fatigue. We don't know how easily we can recover HP, recover FP or reduce anxiety. Short-term at least, focus on either building up any inherent ways to recover HP and FP and anxiety reducers, or ways to increase our HP/FP/Anxiety caps.

If there's any other suggestions for what we may want to look at for early-game character builds, feel free to suggest them. I have no idea what our options are going to be yet, this is literally just from looking at the character sheet tutorial and seeing what stands out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Trait: Tough or Second Wind
Sub-Class: Chirurgeon

Chirurgeon lets us rely on Dark Wave more often and be able to recover fairly quickly. Tough and Second Wind also seem like they would tie in nicely with the Tyrant skills costing HP.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

What about "What should I do to save Kwiat?"

Part of me wants to go with this, part of me wants to go with some form of "What can the seven lords do" or "what are their weaknesses".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted Tyrant.

Because we ARE the Tyrant.

It's time we acted like it.

It even says so on our sheet!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was expecting "go psycho" to mean we just off the guy, not... that. I mean, it worked, and is pretty psycho, but still...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted south. Smaller area to cover and it makes more sense to cover it now rather than later.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If we have the supplies from the previous day, and the chicken is okay, then grind. Can't hurt to get a bit stronger without a loss in time. Unless "set up a more secure base and butcher the boar" is an option.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait... 8th lord?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted camp. We even have our own tent! Just try to tell me a field kit wouldn't have a small pup tent.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... why would you kill a cat? Cats are awesome. I would ask if we can be the tyrant of cats, but cats answer to no one but the holder of the treat bag.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We should probably politely refuse the blow, we have enough crap messing with our head that its liable to make our heads explode or something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Black Crows fits with our characters black crown and dark powers. Plus crows are awesome.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I went with Hoist but both that and the Einherjars sound like they may play to our strengths. Though because we have to command the Einherjars, we may be at a downside because of the black crown making us harder to understand. Idolatry just sounds like they're going to cut us open from that description though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, I wasn't expecting the counselor to be the one in the noose. The only question is, how many wrong guesses do we get before she's killed?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted O, I can't think of what else the two-letter word would be other than TO

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Could the last two words be "LET GO"?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That would fit. It at least gives us something we can base letter guesses on.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'd say one more round and vote V just to make sure its "You have to let go" and not something else.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"You have to let go" is the only thing I can think of that fits for the missing letters and makes sense as a phrase. That being said, what was this game called again? Eh, I'm sure its fine.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eat to Defeat... our nagging stomach!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Something something baby back ribs?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Don't we pay the Tyrant piper upfront in HP? Isn't that why all of the Tyrant-related stuff costs HP?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This isn't an early boss though, we just ended up way out of our comfort zone way too early.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

oh wait, there's a leng in the antarctic, but this is probably the leng of the dreamlands

iirc the men of leng weren't humans

Considering the camp founder mentioned the Dreamlands and a plateau several times, the first thing I thought of was the Plateau of Leng. So, did the spiders follow him from Leng, or did he accidentally build his camp on top of one of the survivors lairs?

I mean, I'll be very surprised if we survive this, but if we do pull it off and both Red and Blue survive... hey, maybe they'll spread word of our achievements to their fellow cultists and eventually we can peel off some supporters from Burner and Dancer to make our own cult. A Tyrant needs minions after all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Whelp, good to know that we are definitely a tiny fish in a big, BIG pond, and that Red and Blue could probably have snapped us like a twig if either one wanted to. Also good to know that we can pay more HP than we currently have, and that death happens when we pass our current max HP value in the negatives. Also, now I see why Red and Blue are travelling together if dancing can have effects like that.

Does anyone else feel like we're Ralph Wiggum sitting in the bus laughing and saying "I'm in danger!" right now?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In my defense... okay, I was thinking it was -10=death (ala 3rd ed D&D) and I may have sort of glossed over the HP section of the tutorial. Also, I wasn't sure if our Tyrant skills would let us pay past 0HP, so if nothing else, we now know that we can "safely" pay until we hit -18 HP. Let's just hope that never comes up outside of times like this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I went with the Triple Tech out of the three first options, then just rolled with it on the other two. Though I will admit I was kinda tempted to make Blue do the Triple Tech, then have us and Red do literally anything else to see what would happen. Though, you know, just not when it may literally be the matter of life and death.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

That's a... relief? Sure, let's go with that.

It makes sense that the camp would have some way of putting its thumb on the scale, even if it's just to cancel out that the "councillors" may want the "camper" to win and stop them from throwing the entire game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, we had a good run. Maybe next time the game won't be a contender for the buggiest thing since the world's largest ant colony was found.

I'm assuming this isn't actually the end of the game. Shush.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, gently caress, when did it save last? Oh god, how much glitchy progress did we just lose?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Blow on the cartridge, blow on the cartridge!

Thats clearly an old DOS screen. There's no cartridge to blow on. MASH CTRL-ALT-DEL!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... where are we? Did we end up in the Dreamlands? And is West's first name Herbert by any chance?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So on the plus side, we now know that Burner and Dancer are the explicit names of the lords and not just titles, and have a good idea of how powerful they (and presumably the other lords by comparison) are. On the down side... we have a LOT of work ahead of us to catch up to them in power. But hey, their cults tolerate us, which is... actually kinda massive. Though I do wonder if this means that we missed out on actually being able to get at least one of them killed by failing at the games, or if they're just too powerful to die from the challenge.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

sourdough posted:

Maybe we should do a 180, keep being friends with them, and avoid ever having to catch up to them

Hey, I said catch up to them in power, I didn't say anything about fighting them. And we know that there's an eighth lord as well, from when the game glitched out and he... continued to give us tutelage despite us not even knowing he exists yet. One possibility is that we'll either get powerful enough to supplant him as the eighth lord, or stand alongside them as a new lord. Buuuuuut we are the Tyrant... maybe with Burner and Dancer backing us, we can work towards unite the lords under us once we're more powerful?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Y'know, I would make a joke about that, but we have already had one "glitch day" happen.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Razakai posted:

Psi powers don't count magic right? Bit of a shame our mage perk does nothing yet then. maybe we'll get some fire magic stuff from the shroud though

!Darkness is getting a bonus from Magery right now.

And I voted for the silk, with the leng and blood silks, maybe we can get someone to make us a dapper-as-gently caress suit to replace our old one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I debated going with spices for that reason, but it could also turn out that this was one of the Backup's stash if we decided to go for spices.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do we know if the shroud would teach us spells? Its description just says techniques, which could also mean sword techniques.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I went with healing, it should let us lean on the Darkness skillset more without as much long-term consequences. Even if it doesn't heal up THAT much, some is better than nothing. Why go for magic that will probably cost us HP to use when we already don't use the skills that demand HP that much as-is? Plus it may give us something that lets us heal others as well, which could help when dealing with other groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Razakai posted:

If all spells scale off IQ that's a shame for us, as we're dumb as a rock.

Eh, that's why you go for utility spells in that case. Worst case scenario, our new spells cuts an hour off of our healing time once a day, plus we have a bonus to spellcasting.