Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Just binged this thread. This is incredible and I absolutely adore it.

Looking at the recent information, it seems like Doubler is a shapeshifter what with the 'base killing form' and 'mutant meat' as a drop. (That said, the stats are again said to be for only one form, so Doubler might have alternate forms for when IQ or WLL is required.

I think Moulder might be the tanky lord that was in one of the Blue Book snippets considering its WL and HT.

pumpinglemma posted:

- Moulder looks like some sort of Azathoth-like eldritch abomination, especially given its pronoun is "it", borderline unkillable and blindly destroying everything in its path with unshakable willpower.

I feel like Azathoth might be explicitly a thing with the Mythos and "AZA AZA AZA". (Also, your analysis is great.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I still have some questions about Moulder, as every other Lord's name appears to be a verb related to them-even Doubler, who seems to probably be some kind of shapeshifter?

The heavy implications that it's a literal goddamn mountain are damaging my previous hypothesis that Moulder was referring to 'moldering' as in decay, but maybe it's about 'molding'. I'm honestly very intrigued by...pretty much all of the lords.

Also I like that Bleeder likes dogs.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Lordly corruptions, huh? From the context, it looks like they might be consequences for killing a Lord? Another reason to be dubious re: that course of action.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Arcanuse posted:

The claw lifts... Oh. Oh no. The claw pulls a plushy Smiercia up, giving us a death glare. It's... It's just like the real thing. Oh joy.
Leaving the prize in the slot, we walk away from the claw machine never to speak of this again.

...I kind of actually want plushie Smiercia.

Claw machine critfail was hilarious though.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Tie immediately makes me go oh no, even though...this probably won't have really bad effects? Oh god, now I'm afraid I jinxed it.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Well, that went to hell in a handbasket.

I am very afraid for what exactly this means for Our Hero's mind.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
The kobold is pretty cute! I like them. But also I definitely remember this:

The Blue Book posted:

"...agree that seeing a kobold both increases your luck, while also provoking a Disaster Event of maximum..."

and I am worried.

It's possible that going blind or Hunter was the disaster. But also...

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Have we seen Jevica in loading screens or the Blue Book?

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
The analysis here is really clearing things up for me, thanks.

Does anyone know of anything else like this, with the metanarrative of a game inside the story or the Dark Souls style putting pieces together style of lore while not being a game? Because this is fantastic and I honestly just can't get enough. (Sorry if that's an off-topic request.)

EDIT: On-topic, looking back, there's a section early on where __҉_ was used:

Black August posted:

"The wait's all over kids! Here __҉_ is, the __҉_ 'With A Smile Like The Sun!' "

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2021

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Is it possible the Hell End proper could be the timeline we see a few times involving Smiercia and a TV show(maybe?)?

Black August posted:

Your show is watched religiously. You sing, you preach, you opera, you teach, you joke, you dramatic, you explain.

All the children of the world come to see you perform live. The brightest minds stand behind you, the creative unbound, painted by a legion of guest stars, speakers, witnesses. Puppets and costumes, machines and lights, fireworks and sound systems, telling the thousand stories that would reach across the decades to see the last to be born raised with a sense of unity inside of a terrestrial divine.

It's been three years of untold beauty in the collaborative expression of those who survived, and The Słońce Show will do all it promises and more.

You have not yet built up enough courage to ask Śmiercią to let you die.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
The poll didn't log my vote? That said, I want to know more Cult lore and am very interested in the Congregation's relic.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
The lore on the oilstained shield on the character sheet is really fascinating:

Oilstained Shield posted:

★ [Relic]

★ [D-Rank]

★ [Cursed]

★ [???]

‘Tarnished solid-metal shield once held by the Giant of Light. Scratched, scarred, and scabbed from enduring those horrifying days on the Island. Permanently stained with oil, obscuring its symbol.’

Grants +3 to Defense. Enables the Block ability. The Traitor cannot bear the sight of it. Moulder understands what it reflects. Bleeder prays in private to what it once made possible.

Block: Passive ability. Every time you’re struck by a physical attack, there’s a chance it will be Blocked equal to ![ER_INVALID]+3.

More mention of the Giant of Light. Very interesting that Moulder can 'understand' anything, but I think this gives us a little more insight into the Island-it loves the Giant of Light more than almost anyone else, and the Giant's shield is hosed-up from the 'horrifying' things they underwent on the Island.

Of course there's the fascinating mention of Bleeder praying to what it made possible. But that we don't really know that much. This does seem to tentatively link the Traitor with the Giant of Light, though.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Randalor posted:

Wait, who's the Traitor? And could this be implying that the Giant of Light is the Traitor?

I wonder if we can give this to Bleeder to get on his good side...
During the beach party, the Traitor and the Giant of Light are described as being in separate conversations, but that's a really interesting theory-but that brings up something else I've been thinking about. A sudden realization I had on my reread is that possibly the 'beach' in the bizarre beach sequence might be the Island. In the dream with Dancer, she completely freaks out upon seeing a beach that is described similarly:

Black August posted:

Blue, Blue, why are you pleading? You're just sitting in topaz sands. You stand up slowly, to get your head above the sapphire waters. You push up, to move aside the emerald jungle. Blue, Blue, why are you crying? You're just in the shallows, swimming to the beach, walking under the canopy. Blue, Blue, why are you screaming? You're just handing her a pair of garden shears, the only sharp tool that was left. You're just following her down the hall, as she claws at the walls. You're just peeking at the crack in the door to the room, where the oil has to be cut.
The reference to the oil being cut is interesting too after the oilstained shield used on the Island.

(More beach party weirdness-in part of the listing of the food there's a description of roasted seeds right next to a plate of starry-blue jelly and now I'm trying to link the food with the lords. 'A whole towering mess of emerald and jade greens' sounds like Moulder, I think?)

EDIT: Right, I was out of the loop, other people said all of this and figured it out wayyy before me.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Grond posted:

I think the part about "self-multiplication" might be interesting here. At the end of the beach sequence we saw all NPC's duplicating again and again, maybe this had something to do with it. It doesn't explain why they spawned in the first place, but then again, we don't know why we were there either. My initial theory is that we were dreaming after getting knocked out by the Zenith Noon, but then we should have ended up in the dreamlands, right? Unless the Island is inside the dreamlands. But that part is too obtuse to make any solid speculation.

Also now that I'm thinking about it, the oil might be what allows Doubler to do his thing. It might also explain why the Shale Giant grows ever larger as time passes, as a mass of rotting flesh stuck to the rock, self replicating endlessly over time, not ever being allowed to die.
I think that Beach Bae, Doublers' Liason, was also described as being covered in oil, which adds to this theory!

The medal interests me. Also I love the kobolds very much. Not sure what items I'll vote for though.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I want to see the shape of the parade. That sounds fun!

Also goddrat, Grace Under Pressure is coming through already and I love it.

Not sure what to do with the ogre, threw a random vote for Kaigen I guess?

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I appreciate the devotion here to breaking a game that isn't even real.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

The Blue Book posted:

"...anymore. I can't. I can't stand hearing it again. I know I can kill her right away and open so many roads but I can't do it. I can't and I try and it's not enough and she dies. I can't stand to hear it ever again. I'm done. I hate that there's no way to mute it. Why is it so long? Just let the door stay locked, wherever she is. Forget about her..."
I have a really nasty and completely unsubstantiated feeling that this is about Kwiat.

I'm also glad we chose Rita now, as whatever it is that Hristan wants is almost certainly horrible considering everything else in this game.

(also, I keep wishing this was an actual game, I would probably do horribly at it but I would at the very least spend days digging around in the code)

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
This update makes so much about the Eidolons click for me.

First off, the 'corresponding Lord and Eidolon' mentioned a while back. There are the Mightiest Three as well as the three most beloved by the Island-Hunter and the Bird of Night(which is obvious), giant Moulder and the Giant of Light, and Doubler, who is associated with rats, and the Mouse of Sight.

Now we have a clear link with the other four lords and the other four eidolons. Dancer was already a thing, as she and the Singer have a huge amount of established parallels, but this introduction of a dryad who is a sun-witch clearly links up with Burner and the confirmation of the Errant as a vampire obviously fits with all the undead/blood stuff around Bleeder. Hider's cult liason is a lamia and she has the Ocean Megalith, so whatever's up with her the ocean lamia might well be her counterpart Eidolon. Exactly what the correlation is I have no idea.

Now I'm going to go out on a theorizing limb here and assign identities to the Lamia and the Dryad, because I think I can figure out who the Dryad is. This update confirms that the Giant of Light is a she and that she was partnered with our dryad here. Who the traitor betrayed hasn't been said, but the petal of the Flower of Ruin corresponding to them is 'Her Love and Her Hate' and the Traitor cannot bear to look at the Giant's shield. The possibility I'm thinking is that the dryad is the Traitor and somehow betrayed the Giant of Light, making the lamia the Coward.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
No more games. We really do not want to let Deimos go with this knowledge and power over us. And at least Hollywood...kind of likes us? Sort of?

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
thank you cornstarch

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Considering our low level, how hard this has all been, and Kwiat, I would actually say that right now I think it might be a good plan to give up on the trek and go back home.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I'm really torn between going to Megalith and going back out into the Wetlands because I feel like trying to take on Bleeder while we don't even know what our plan for him is is a bad idea and we really need to feed Kwiat and that's the closest option to 'go back home and feed the chicken'...but also plot.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Randalor posted:

Edit: Wait, am I mistaken, or does the "Nuclear Option" playthrough mean that thr Farmer one-run had actually reached the post-Lords content? If the Farmer playthrough got the furthest, and the Nuclear one-run dealt with everyone but Dancer, does that mean there ARE "pacifist" ways to deal with the Lords? I'm guessing they would be something along the lines of:

Dancer: Reach Paradise without killing any of the Backup
Burner: ...Maybe requires Dancer's "pacifist" ending, or something with the 7 Petals?
Bleeder: Requires all of the other Lords to be alive, and something something? We have the shield that he idolized, maybe that'll help
Moulder: Considering that it was the Farmer, perhaps brining life back to the island (IE:crops in the case of the Farmer?)
Hunter: Considering she's also a Tyrant and barely holding on, maybe requires all other Lords to be alive and friendly, persuade her to get some rest while you cover her vigil?

As for the other two... I unno, we know barely anything about them.

Did we have any confirmation that the Farmer was pacifist?

Doubler is very confusing, but I think that whatever the answer is dealing with the 'everdrowning' issue will be a pretty big part of it. And I'm not sure that Bleeder idolizes the shield-it says he prays to 'what it made possible'. One of the many reasons I'm kind of against going to Megalith is that Bleeder didn't seem particularly inclined to be friendly earlier and we don't have any strategies about what to do if we don't kill him.

Also, interesting note: Momma Logon only lists four corruptions, which obviously correspond to Dancer/Bleeder/Burner/Hider. I suppose Moulder and Doubler might count as corruptions in and of themselves, but still interesting to consider.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Nachos seem like the least dangerous snack. I would not eat anything locally made here.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Wasn't expecting Bleeder to be involved in a love triangle! Is he more a Zero or a Kaname?

That said, while I do really want Bleeder lore, I feel like a tie on this is going to be a hell of a thing. Which I might still be interested in seeing!

Also, apparently we can meet a Gravedigger here, which is very interesting considering the Holy End stuff have implied that that is us.

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 31, 2021

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Randalor posted:

Well, we have to wait for the pre-film commercials to end first. Duh.

I was going to argue that we shouldn't kill Bleeder, but I might have to take that back if he has extensive previews for movies...

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
So Bella is Beleth. Useful to know. Wonder if she'll teach us anything.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
The Pyrite Hyena is almost definitely the Miner-she was described as 'dusky gold' a few times, and Merkja is more associated with greys.

Moongilt is definitely about Kaigen. Not sure about the others.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Whatever the oil-dead are, it probably has something to do with the alive/dead percentage that was referenced with Hider's sister sisters before.

Also, I'm fairly sure that Hider is a lamia now.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Black August posted:

"...high enough, then a special option opens up to terrify the Seventh Lord and effortlessly enslave the..."

Bleeder is the Seventh Lord.

So, uh, there is an option. I don't know whether we want to enslave him through terror or not or how we go about it but we now have a vague idea of a way to get Bleeder's colors without killing him.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Strange that the dead of the Island are making graffitti of the Miner.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
This whole thing has been amazing, but this bit in particular is just haunting.

That Bleeder seems to be trying to ease the pain for his Congregation has definitely earned him points with me.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
...'Everything is tropic now' worries me.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
This isn't what's important and it might well kill us, but it's what feels right.

Probably logically, what we need to do is to figure out whatever it is that will terrify Bleeder enough to 'effortlessly enslave' him and get his color. But also, like, man, I want to help these people and be nice.

This is probably a bad idea. But.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Desperately eager for updates, but remember to put your health and real life first!

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Good news-well, we got that over with quick!

JC is fascinating me. I mean, obviously there's a Christian interpretation especially considering all the religious language around Bleeder, but IIRC that might also be the name of one of the Backup? Which means we might be able to lever our gemscar.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
'Weeks pass elsewhere so you can achieve their potential in minutes' is scaring me. We're on 0 days of food at the hideout. gently caress, I hope Kwiat doesn't starve.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Sorry about your hip and happy one year!

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Different color this time.

Megalith is an extension of the Lord. I wonder if Bleeder knows about...whatever the hell this is? I doubt he knows about the Back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Randalor posted:

At this point, I'm assuming the game has an option at the start that we didn't see (maybe a command line variable?) to turn on one-run, a more hard-core Ironman run, because they specifically call Oneruns that way too often.

I think that's Holy End, not Hell End. We don't have parties.

WHO THE gently caress, BY THE WAY, IS MACELLA.