Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Thanks all, great info. Going to spend some more time thinking this out and figuring out what to do, but I have a related question. Currently there is a piece of countertop (quartz counter), that sticks up from the back of the counter and against the wall. It's attached in some way, I assume adhesive, to the counter itself. It makes kind of an L shape from the counter to wall. Would it be possible to remove that piece of quartz from the top of the counter and tile that space instead? I think it's about 3 inches or so. I think it would look a lot better to have counter then tile, instead of counter, counter, tile. Plus the piece is about 2" thick so it's taking up a decent chunk of counter real estate.

Post a picture of this please, I need to see exactly what you're dealing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

regulargonzalez posted:

If I understand correctly, he wants to cut off the backsplash portion of the quartz countertop.

Understood, but the question is how the splash is attached to the top.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Here are some pictures. Let me know if you need a picture of another part of it.
https://imgur.com/a/NteaIUZ

If you're lucky, they just put silicone between the bottom of the splash. Take a razor blade and see if you can make any progress that way. If you can get a putty knife all the way to the back wall between the splash and the top you're good to go. Just get a pry bar and rip the splash off (go from the side so you aren't causing the backsplash to dig into the countertop, you could end up chipping it)

If you're unlucky and they used epoxy.... you have a very nice backsplash.

Some of the epoxies that work with stone can be dissolved with alcohol (ask me about the time we epoxied a drink rail onto a fancy bar using standard stone epoxies! Good thing no alcohol ever ends up in a drink rail!) but it's going to be next to impossible to pull that splash off without breaking the stone countertop as well.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Did you ever get your backsplash sorted out? I'm curious as to how it turned out.

E: gently caress that was a terrible snipe.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

regulargonzalez posted:

A 2-3" section of grout keeps coming out of my plank tile floor. Obviously one of the tiles didn't get enough thinset. I really, really don't want to take it out and replace it. Is there any other option.

http://imgur.com/a/9cDVSIV (HDR makes the tile and grout look strange, but the only problem area is where it's coming out)

Easiest? Color matched caulk.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

regulargonzalez posted:

That's pretty genius but I'll never be able to match the color

If you don't know the grout color you should be able to get a grout color chart and match it.
I'm pretty sure you can get them at any of the big box stores, if not try a local tile supplier.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

regulargonzalez posted:

Problem is I mixed three colors together to match the tile. I know the recipe I used so I guess theoretically I can buy the three matching colors of caulk and mix them.

I'd just get whatever is closest and go with that. Mixing grout colors is a new one to me.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I was looking up getting some security film for my exterior door windows. Why yes my $200 smart lock can be defeated with a rock.

Do window films work in terms of these lofty claims of better heat retention in the winter and heat rejection in the summer? Is that something that I should look into applying to my windows as a cheaper alternative to replacing it, with a double pane window?

I cannot say how well it would work compared to replacing the windows themselves but my office got dramatically cooler in the summer when I put window tinting on my windows.

I got a very dark tint, I’ll see if I can dig up what kind it was.
I did end up pulling the tint off of one of the windows because my plants were dying due to lack of sun.

I think this is what I got:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gila-36-in-x-180-in-Titanium-Heat-Control-Window-Film-HRT361/100616385

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 28, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blakkout posted:

I have a question about grouting and sealing some mosaic tile for a backsplash that I installed this weekend.

I'm in the middle of my 24-72 hour window for the tile adhesive to dry. My mosaic is is made up of about 80% glass tiles and 20% some kind of grey stone tile. The grey stone tiles seem really porous--I got a small amount of blood from my hand on one while cutting, and it stained it so bad I had to just replace that tile.

Will the white grout I want to apply next also stain the grey stone tile? I assumed that the order of operations would be to apply the grout once the tile adhesive has set, allow the grout to set, and then spray tile/grout sealant on on the tiles and the grout all at once, but I'm reading on the back of my spray bottle of sealant that it can be applied directly to stone before grouting to avoid staining. So now I'm wondering if I should be sealing the tiles before I apply the grout and then sealing the grout after it cures?

Hi. Tile setting poster here.

White grout shouldn't stain the stone. If you're worried, seal the tile first then grout it, that won't hurt anything, and is probably what I'd do in your situation.
There's also a product called grout release. I don't know if they sell it at the depot, but it's a sealer that washes off when you do your cleaning of the grout. I think it's cheaper, but if you're only doing a splash you probably have more than enough grout sealer anyway.

Edit: Also what kind of grout and what kind of sealer?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 1, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

What's your joint size? I generally don't like wall grout (unsanded) for anything bigger than 1/16". The sanded grout allows it to have a little more body, there's a chance you could have it kind of slump out of the joints unless they are nice and tight. That is also something that only the person who did it might notice, but just something to consider. If you're sticking with Custom, and your joints are 1/8" or more, you might want to consider their prism line. It will cost a bit more, but will also provide a little bit of stain protection in the grout itself, which is nice for white grout.

Your grout sealer will do just fine. You'll want to re-up every now and then, mainly if you ever notice that water isn't beading on it anymore, which you'll only notice if you're as messy of a cook as I am.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blakkout posted:

drat. My joints are1/8”. Bought unsanded grout because I read that sanded grout can scratch high-polish glass tiles during application.

You'll probably be fine, you're at the high end of the limits of that grout. Just mix it up exactly as they say, don't add any more water than they tell you to.

Pretty much the only grouts we use now are the higher tier grouts. That's Mapei's Ultracolor, Laticrete's Permacolor, and Custom's Prism because we just end up having less problems with them overall. You can't go wrong with them. I don't think scratching the grout is an issue with them, just the sanded grouts. I might be wrong though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Omne posted:

The grout at the seam of where my tiled floor meets my tiled tub/shower in a guest bath is cracked all the way through. Do I need to get an oscillating tool to remove it and then try to match the original grout? Remove the bad stuff and put in something else?

I'm assuming this is happening at a horizontal->vertical transition.

You can get a grout removal tool, something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Coitak-Angled-Pieces-Replacement-Cleaning/dp/B085R9S368/

Be careful, you might scratch your tub if it slips (assuming tub to tile, not tile to tile)

Replace it with caulk to match your grout.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 5, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Omne posted:

Yeah, it's a plane change:

The grout is a grey color, so I suspect something like this will work: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Silicone-2-10-1-oz-Gray-Silicone-Caulk/3084943

ETA: I also have a cracked tile in another bathroom, same tile and grout that's in the images above. For that, I'd need to use grout, right?

You could also caulk to white, just match the tub/wall tile if you want. A cracked tile I'd probably do caulk too. That most likely cracked because there's movement.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 5, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I need a new pair of work boots. No steel toe necessary, and preferably 4.5-6" ish height.
Recommendations? I'm looking at Redwing or Danner right now.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 12, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

FogHelmut posted:

I imagine that asking in this thread they're for work, not for fashion.

What type of work? Indoor? Outdoor? Ladders? Wet? Dry?

The guy from the Rose Anvil youtube channel put Redback boots as the most comfortable. I mean if you want to go down a hole of an expert cobbler cutting boots in half and describing how they're made and ranking them on quality, that's the place.

edit- don't get "heritage" boots unless you're a fashion weirdo. They're horribly uncomfortable compared to modern materials, even after break-in.

I'm mainly an office shlub, but need work boots if I go to a job site.
So something comfortable that can get dirty. I don't need steel toe and I'm not doing any ladder work.

I'm looking at the Danner Springfields (hiking boot looking work boot) and redwing dynaforce or classic supersole.

I'm looking for something that will be comfortable and last a long time. Otherwise I'd just buy another pair of timberlands, which the toe is currently falling off of after only a couple of years.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 12, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Agreed. Safety toes don't add as much weight as they used to, and I've never encountered a situation where it was a disadvantage to have them.

I had a pair of steel toe docs about 10 years ago and the toe ended up being super uncomfortable (basically I could feel it pressing against the side of my toe when wearing them).

I'll try on redwing's steel toes but I'm not treating it like a must have.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Got the red wing 2406 supersole with the steel toe. Thanks for all the input

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

VelociBacon posted:

Get a new chair before that breaks and punches through the seat cushion into your rear end in a top hat.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a sliding mirror in our bathroom with a metal shelf behind it. The other side of the mirror slides too if you unscrew the hold screw but it’s surprisingly hard to find a similar in wall shelf. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I picked up a new shift knob for my car.

I watch far too much "How It's Made" for my own good, and I've seen them fill in engravings with a translucent resin or epoxy that comes out of a little needle and then hardens.

I was thinking of filling in the "R" with red and the gear numbers in black, but I don't even know where to start with trying to find what I'm looking for. would it be an epoxy, resin, acrylic?

I'm not looking to make it flush. If it's higher at the edges than the middle I'd be okay with it, I just don't want it to easily pop out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PainterofCrap posted:

You will need:
alcohol
acetone
blue tape
Q-tips &/or a low-nap rag

you should have:
nitrile gloves

a place to paint (a big box with one side cut off works. Or sit it on newspaper, etc. So long as it's outside)

Remove the knob
clean it with alcohol. Get into the recessed parts good. Dunk it, or use a Q-tip or fingernail brush to get all the oils out.
Cover the "R" with blue painter's tape.
Following the instructions on the can, paint the top. You're really painting the shift numbers, but don't worry about the surface.

Let the paint set for at least five minutes, until it looks dry & no longer transfers; it's still quite fragile.
Then, you can either use:
A low-nap rag (cotton T-shirt or underwear is excellent) or Q-tips and clean the surface with acetone, taking care to not hit the recesses. Work from the outside in. Working under good light and with care, you should be able to produce nice, crisp edges around the recesses.

If you can wait, wait overnight, and repeat, this time taping over the numbers and using red on the "R" (if you can't wait, a beer or two/an hour should do)

When done, you can use it as is. If any goons out there can recommend a good coating that won't rub off with the heavy contact a shift knob gets, use that. Otherwise, leave it be; if it eventually wears or chips, repeat the above.

The advantage of using spray paint over brush paint is that you get a far more even application on your surface.

Edit: I used this method on my hubcaps:

what kind of paint? Just standard krylon, rustoleum?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 9, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Any bullet-proof sump pump recommendations?
Mine is over 7 years old. Last night the switch failed to on. I got it working again but it made me realize I’m going to need to replace it soon. It’s currently going off every 7-10 seconds, we got smacked by that tropical storm last night.

I’ve got a lot of ground water near me so it runs a lot, so I need something pretty heavy duty.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My garage door has been opening strangely.
When I go to open it, the left side starts to move up the track, then a second later the right side snaps into place and starts to move too. It will jump about 2" or so to catch up, then it opens fine. If I close the door and immediately re-open, it's fine.

I've checked the track for blockages and oiled the wheels, everything is moving fine, and you can free-spin the wheels by hand when the door is down.

Anything I should check?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

H110Hawk posted:

What did you oil them with? White lithium or the wrong thing?

Clean the tracks, and try to see if the track is "straight" still, or if all the wheels spin easily. Do you have a spring?

I oiled them with 3 in 1 garage door lube.
All wheels spin easily, tracks appear to be straight, yes I have a spring and it appears to be in working condition.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

eddiewalker posted:

Is this all observed with a motorized opener? Have you pulled the release cord and run the door up and down slowly by hand?

I tried the release this morning. It still hung for a second on the left side, but you can freely spin the wheel before trying to lift it up.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a sump pump in my basement that I need to swap out, the switch is starting to go. The hurricane earlier this year had it running pretty much every 3 seconds, and I think that was the straw that broke the camels back.
The problem is that the backup system (water driven sump) is in the way of removing the old sump.

My thought is to cut the backup pipe where the red line is, then use one of those rubber couplers to join it back together so in another 5-10 years when I need to do it again I can just do the same thing.

Aside from a leak risk, is there any reason I should be wary of doing it this way?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This weekend I cleaned out my garage a bit, and came across some extension cords that I needed to re-do the ends on, so I popped over to Ace and grabbed the 2 20 volt female ends they had left, and then just grabbed a 15 volt for the third one, which I figured I'd use for a little lovely 3' cord I had around.

I really wasn't thinking about what I was doing, I just stripped the wires, got everything nice and tight and plugged it in to make sure it would work.

That's when I looked in my hand and saw I was holding a male plug. Apparently I grabbed the wrong plug while in the store and made the forbidden extension cord while not paying attention.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

mutata posted:

lol what's goin' on in here guys?

The dumbest derail ever.

I've posted about it before, but I'm having an issue with my garage door.
When it opens, the right side starts going up, then after about 2" or so of travel the left side jumps up to meet it. Then it opens perfectly. The wheels on the left side freely spin when closed, so it's not overcoming any sort of jam.

Is this something that I can adjust by loosening/tightening the springs? It's the type with the springs that go into the garage, not the massive coil spring that is over the garage door.

Or do I not gently caress with this and just call a repair guy?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Motronic posted:

If the springs have little to no tension when the door is open yes - it's safe to adjust when the door is open. Or just replace them and tension them the same (they do go bad over time and you'll want to replace in pairs so you don't get exactly what you have going on).

The new ones should have a kit with a wire rope that you run down the center of them to keep them from flying around if they break. It's a bit of a pain to retrofit if your existing ones don't have it but probably worthwhile.

To be clear: don't even be near them when the door is closed/they are under tension.

They do have the center wire so they won't kill me.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PremiumSupport posted:

They may not kill you, but they can still maim. My advice is not to mess with them unless you know what you are doing. Call a professional.

I put the door in the down position and started going at them with a hacksaw to relieve the tension on the one that goes up first. I'm considering using my bolt cutters next. Thoughts?

garage door guy coming tomorrow

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I am planning to tile the floor in my entryway/hallway area. I would like for it to be a continuous floor, but the subfloor in the entryway is 1/8th inch lower than the subway in the hallway because of course it is.

To me the easiest way to fix it seems to be using slightly different backerboard widths but it doesn't seem like a 3/8th width exists (or if it does, it ain't available anywhere currently).

Would throwing down a sheet of 1/8th thick plywood on the lower side under the cement board be stupid? Or am I doomed to attempt self leveling and fail miserably at it?

Can you post a sketch of the area and the tile pattern you're looking to do in it? Also what's your tile size?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 11, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I can try! Imgur seems to hate me but will give it a go:

The tiles are those 6x24 wood look porcelain- I used similar in the half bath. Obviously if I level the entry part with the hallway, the entry will then be slightly higher than the 1/2 bath but eh. This is more visible because the door to the hallway is just an open door, no actual door.

Imgur why. Here is the link, I...guess? https://imgur.com/a/BfmhWF8

Ok you're not bad at all.
Don't gently caress with the self leveling.
Flash out about 2' or so with a floor patch. I haven't used this stuff, but it's similar to something that I do use:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-549-7-lbs-Feather-Finish-Patch-and-Skimcoat-12163/100551687
You could probably do this with just some extra thinset too. It's not that deep at all.

basically you're going to make a small ramp down to the lower floor. I'd also recommend having a joint above that transition point, and caulk it in (They will sell sanded caulk the same color as your grout). That will let it flex a bit.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 11, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I also have a wiring question.
I know there is such a thing as an in line gfci for power tools, like this:

https://a.co/d/eUYtA7E

But is there an in line surge protector? Looking for something to use for my band playing in bars. I don’t want just a standard power strip type because there’s a good chance it’s going to get covered in beer/alcohol when playing in a bar, and I want the surge protector because sometimes the power in those places is dodgy as poo poo and I’d rather not have a power surge wipe out the mixer or my amp.

If there’s something I could splice into an extension cord, even better.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 28, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Even a utility knife might work to get the grout out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've got an old patio set (Hampton Bay) that I got at the depot about 10+ years ago.

My tubby rear end broke one of the slings.
It's structurally perfect, but the sun has done a number on it over the years. I was looking at getting new slings for the chairs, and while I'm at it, having it powdercoated.

I got a price of $2,000. $250 for each chair, $450 for the table. Powder coated and new slings from one provider.

I also found a place that will sell the slings alone, but it's an online place that you send them measurements and they mail you the new slings. Those ones are $63 each.
https://buychairslings.com/product/chair-swivel-2-piece-sling-hampton-bay/

I'm waiting on a price from another powder coating place that won't do the slings, but I'm figuring they won't be far off.

I have considered getting the new slings and just spray painting the chairs, but I don't know if that will look lovely.

So I guess the question is "Is it worth getting this old patio set re-done?".

I'm not seeing much that I like from any of the big box stores for cheaper than the powder coating, and I don't want to end up junking the current set. On the other hand I'm reluctant to pay (probably more than) what I paid for the new patio set just to have it refurbished.

The smaller patio places have furniture I like but holy poo poo they are expensive.

I like the current set, it's comfortable and exactly what I need for that space, but I don't want to waste money. I’m also not keen on tossing a perfectly usable patio set just because it doesn’t look as nice as it did 10 years ago.
Thoughts?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 31, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cyrano4747 posted:

If it were mine I'd go the $60 option for the DIY slings and rattle can that poo poo.

Worst case scenario you've spent like ~$75 on slings and paint and can have it powder coated and re-slung by someone who knows what they're doing.

I was actually planning on trying spray paint this weekend, but I didn’t think about ordering the sling and just doing the fatty chair as a one off mock-up. I like it. You’re the best.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

That’s plaster? Where’s the backing/lathe?

Was it previously repaired? I thought it was drywall at first

It might be plaster board.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

At the risk of double posting the same comment, I'm pretty sure it's called plasterboard, it's like the half way point between lath/plaster and drywall.

At least in my 1950's construction house, you'd put 16"x48(?) on the wall, nailed to the studs. Then you'd do a thin coat of plaster on top of that. Metal mesh would be on the corners and ceiling transition.

Edit: According to the youtube comments, apparently it's called Button Board.
Edit 2: According to a further google dive, it's actually called Rock Lath, but Plaster Board and Button Board are both used to describe the same thing though.

It's what this guy is installing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tti-PyT5KE

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 27, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

alnilam posted:

Concrete/cement question:

First, the background:
We're getting a 78" round hot tub delivered. We have a deck that is like 4" off the ground... underneath it is a concrete slab that is 5" thick. The slab is sufficient, I'm told, to support a hot tub. The old deck wood, not so much. So we cut a hole in the deck to plop the hot tub into, it'll be nice and sunk in there, seems cool.

If you don't mind, what's the ballpark figure for a hot tub of that size installed these days? That's on my "would really like to get at some point" list, but I'm not sure if that's "Win the lottery" or "tax refund" money. I've seen prices from 5-10K, which is a hell of a swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Also get ready for a horrendous smell and a bunch of old rotting food sludge.