Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Glad to be here in the thread for Year Zero of the new age of posting. I just discovered this series thanks to the algorithm, and it seems pretty ok. It's called Cartoonist Kayfabe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY24CrAtmv8

It's two early 40s guys who grew up on comics in the 90s who now make comic books themselves, and here they review specific issues of old comics, sometimes covering longer works and related stuff like old issues of Wizard. They mostly talk about art technique and provide historical context. As someone who was in grade school and reading comics during the Rob Liefeld era, I'm really enjoying their deep dives into the style and personalities of that era of comics, especially the ephemera like Wizard Magazine. They have some fun long-from interviews with creators from the era too, like Louise Simonson and Chris Claremont.

Maybe it's too inside baseball, but as someone who hasn't read a comic book since 1999 and who hasn't thought about any of it since I was a kid, it's a fun journey to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I remembered that Lindsay Ellis did a vid with Mara Wilson about Matilda so I went back to watch it and hoo boy I do not think it has aged well. Just some uncomfortable bits and jokes that don't really land well.

Especially the part where they joke about the sexual tension between Matilda and Miss Honey.

e: while looking up the review I did end up finding out that Mara Wilson is Ben Shapiro's cousin so that's a thing

Yeah, when I think about it in the abstract, I tend to think that things haven’t changed that much, culturally speaking, in the last 10-15 years, but in some ways the world has changed a lot. They were in college when they made that and did it because they realized they both lived in the same area iirc.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

i posted this in the last thread u motherfucker

Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg aren't just some random dudes in their 40s, they're both successful independent cartoonists

I just started seeing them a few weeks ago even though their channel is a few years old. Is it the same with you? The algorithm really does control what we see.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jenny's twitter is good because of the insane poo poo she sometimes runs into by following theme park news, which has recently been dominated by lunatics like the family that clearly had covid and streamed themselves at Disneyland coughing so much they vomited multiple times while ordering food and arguing with the comments on their stream about how they didn't have covid, all before angrily cutting the stream because everyone kept telling them to go to the doctor immediately.

Maggie Mae Fish also has a pretty good twitter--and speaking of which, is Maggie Mae Fish not in the OP? I would put in a word for her to be added.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She even namechecked the stream at one point, but didn’t seem to remember it all that well. But she knew it was Hbomb who did it!

I can’t blame her—even to me it feels like it was decades ago even though it was only a year and some months. And I don’t have to work surrounded by chuds who manifest their erotic infatuation with me as weird insults and screaming.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A) Please check out the house party LPs.

B) The Reese's Pieces Bit is eternally trapped in my head.

How’s it goin’ dude? Stayin’ away from the alcohol?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sadly I can’t watch this until tonight, but very excited to see this in my subscriptions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3v5wFMQRqs

Lindsay getting dragged into the lunatic thing she found is not unexpected, but I’m liking the idea of some c-grade troll having no idea what she’s provoking by going after someone with such an intimate understanding of the mistakes internet amateurs make when they try to monetize a hobby.

EDIT: AW gently caress BEATEN

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

One of the more interesting takeaways is Lindsay coming to the realization that the fundamental premises of her first video was wrong, or at least incomplete. The problem isn't Cain abusing the DMCA, it's about Cain being a psycho bully who tries to deplatform anybody who's even remotely critical of her or that she doesn't like, and DMCA takedowns are just one of the many tools her kit for doing so.

Hopefully Cain isn't stupid enough to actually go through with trying to sue Lindsay. It's a battle Cain would absolutely lose, but even frivolous lawsuits are expensive and exhausting and nobody needs to go through that, particularly this year of all years.

It would be satisfying to see Lindsay wreck her up in court if she can reasonably endure the costs because she’s someone who started out monetizing a hobby on the internet and would have been and was vulnerable to predatory bad actors moving through the world of monetized internet hobbies like that, but she’s become an internet professional with means and expertise and has survived organized harassment far beyond whatever a mean girl can manage. There would be an element of karmic justice that might feel satisfying.

It’s probably not worth it, but wouldn’t it be nice to see the American legal system actually deliver justice?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The most surprising part of Lindsay’s video is that it’s the first time I’ve ever heard of Patreon doing something nice for someone. Sorry I called Pomplamoose a bunch of sub-Feist caterwauling, capitalist guy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

We felt sorry for Mara Wilson over the possibility of her having to share a thanksgiving table with Ben Shapiro, but we didn't fully grasp the potential horror until Abby came along like an unwelcome lump.

Ben at least never graduated from the kids’ table, as they could never find a thick enough phone book, although I bet his voice really carries when he gets into the degeneracy of Peppa Pig with the others these days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Finally got a chance to watch this. I was going to say that it overemphasizes taking twitter proclamations literally when so much of online is just blowing off steam and bullying out of powerlessness and frustration, so a lot of that “I’ll never vote for Biden” discourse is hyperbole. But I realize Contrapoints has a young audience that is extremely online, so there is something to breaking down the harm-reduction argument for people who might take that stuff more seriously than the average shitposter.

I knocked doors and phonebanked for Bernie in January-March and it was exhausting. People were mostly nice, but I hate talking to people and just wanted to jump out of my skin and run away. I don’t know what it takes for a person to be motivated to do it or get energized by it. It would take a hell of a candidate to motivate me to do that again, maybe AOC if we’ve reached the point where GOTV can be done via shitposting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought Dawn of the Dead was ok for what it was, and had some nice style for a mid-2000s action/horror dealie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, I’m very happy Joss Whedon has disappeared. I’ll thank Justice League for that if it helped. The sex monster stuff was revealed a few years earlier, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It should be Ernest Scared Stupid that holds that specific place in our culture. Children don’t even know about Ernest any more!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The superlative Hunchback of Notre Dame is clearly the direct-to-video version reviewed by Phelan where Quasimodo's hump breaks open to reveal that he has wings and he discovers that he is an angel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just lol if you’re not eating wedding soup or a big salad for breakfast at 6:00am.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Archer666 posted:

Thats what happens when people are friends with each other.

There have to be talent agents who specialize in youtube by now, right? They probably get to know each other by having the same representation or by asking for crossover exposure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn’t breadtube just wishful thinking by internet posters writing erotic friendfiction about their favorite youtube channels? It’s true insofar as people know each other and collaborate, plus have some prominent self-declared enemies in common, but I don’t think it was ever a branding thing or some kind of deliberate effort, though I don’t really follow many of the more narrowly political communists/anarchists who don’t do scripts or jokes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

are we subtweeting now

There is a level beyond subtweeting. Today the infratweet was born.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's still Cal Dodd. By a million miles.

The most Canadian of the Wolverines, by virtue of being Canadian.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

So, like 10 years ago, there was a series of TF2 vids about how to play the spy really well, by a youtuber named OMFGNinja. The rest of the videos on his channel were almost all TF2 related, mostly just spy clips or guides.

He just posted his first video after a 9 year hiatus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGluYAKrvCc

I guess I'm not surprised that youtube doesn't have a report feature for mental illness or people likely to harm themselves, but it would help a lot. I never heard of this guy before, but he needs help and could easily spiral off into some really dangerous territory.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Breadtube elite

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Imagine being jealous over someone's youtube views. What does he feel about his landlord or his bank?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Discussing theory while eating rear end is praxis.

The zoomers will put us to shame yet again and we will deserve it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems like a big part of the problem with being a professional on youtube is that there are so many people there who are amateurs in the worst ways who just gum everything up and delegitimize the entire medium. I wonder if things will change as the share of popular videos out there shifts from DIY early-adopter nerds like movie bob to people who got their start in more traditional producing/writing/performing like Cody Johnston and the rest of the former Cracked video people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

If the Internet Culture Warrior thread in Cspam is to be believed they tried an open marriage before separating.

I have a guess as to who proposed that.

See, I feel like there's a thing that happens to certain weak-brained men when they get youtube famous where they get arrogant enough to think that an open marriage would be a good idea, so I don't know if it's the classic story of a woman desperate to escape an idiot or if it was an idiot digging his own grave.

Internet fame really is the ultimate crucible of character: if you're garbage, efame just burns everything else away until you do the scummiest thing you're capable of, while decent people just get endlessly bothered and harassed by the garbage until they have to act in appropriate ways.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Enough professional chefs cooking good food. More people creating uncanny valley food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug3Q0YeqcSk

Anything that turns food into chemistry is endlessly fascinating to me. It's like something you'd buy out of a dingy vending machine in a cyberpunk dystopia, or something served to you by aliens who tried to figure out what humans eat by reading your mind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

Yeah I saw that. Coffin is an awful, selfish, piece of trash. I still would like to not missgender them.

Content.
(CW. Suicide)A personal and short video essay by a creator named Polyphonic -"The 27 Club: Mental Illness & Art"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AEWefmSTBM
And a new PopArena video about Sharon, Lois & Bram's Elephant Show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA7vbCYBS2U

I’m really enjoying the Nick Knacks series but I very much don’t enjoy the frequency with which horrible sex crimes show up in the history of children’s television, and I know the worst is yet to come.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Weinerville? (Im just guessing)

Ren and Stimpy. Also Dan Scheider, even though there’s no prosecuted crime, per se.

Did Marc Weiner do something bad?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

surf rock posted:

I really enjoy the Nick Knacks series. I appreciate that each episode is well-researched, relatively concise, and tries to understand the appeal of the show even if it's something that's obviously not great and also not nostalgic for the creator. I'm sure that this series is often producing the only good video content about a lot of the more obscure shows, and that kind of even-handed treatment must feel nice for the folks who do have those nostalgic memories and who come across the video when they decide to look up an old favorite. For me, it's also much more enjoyable to learn about these obscure shows through that lens rather than a "lol this old thing is dumb" lens.

Incidentally, the show also sparked some very early childhood memories for me (my favorite toy being a Lamb Chop doll), which never happens. Felt nice!

I really like it as a kind of window into a larger slice of some phenomenon that informs the specific show, like how this one gives some context for the rise of children's music in the Canadian and American contexts and draws lines from youth culture in the 60s to how things were commercialized in the 80s. It seems like there are weird pop-culture threads connecting all kinds of things that we think of as discrete or that just randomly seem to survive in the culture. I like the recurring focus on nostalgia as a cycle as a sort of hook for the whole project, and I can't deny that I sympathize with the mid-30s boomers who were making all the choices to bring back things from their own childhoods, because otherwise I wouldn't be watching.

The Sharon, Lois, and Bram episode also caused me to remember things I had long forgotten--I had no memories of the show before I started watching, but it dislodged all kinds of foggy recollection. It was a nice experience that I've also had with the You Can't Do That on Television and Mr. Wizard episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The twitter obsession with follower counts is so bizarre. It’s like everyone is simultaneously chasing fame and contemptuous of the idea of fame. I get that it’s bad if a million anonymous nazis start calling your job or hack your bank account, but who cares if someone has five or a million followers if it’s a twitter account? 90% of it is just hiding from real socialization and wasting time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

Blameitonjorge basically made a compilation of all the lost media videos they've made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9vvhq57BkI

I think the Super Hornio Bros thread ultimately determined that Super Hornio Bros 2 reused most of the footage from the original.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are they just trying to will her back into relevance so that they have something familiar to keep them warm as the world continues to become stranger and more horrible? I know a lot of the 4chan meme magic weirdos retreated back into video game culture war after Charlottesville, so I guess it's not surprising that they'd want to return to the glory of youth and something familiar.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If we’re going to discuss sexiness parity wrt space armor, we should be asking if the mandalorian has a codpiece.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big boomer uncle facebook energy on Gina Carano’s twitter timeline.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like people have a problem distinguishing between diagnosis of the problems with our horrible culture and condemnation of specific tv shows or movies. Saying that it's silly that you have to give boobs to female mandalorians in order to signal that they're women isn't saying that the show itself is stupid or bad, necessarily. It's like how Ms. Pacman can still be the best Pacman game but also not a triumph for feminism just because they put a bow on Pacman's head to make a pac lady.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh gently caress, you're right, I remember this. I seem to recall that Ben Shapiro and the core clique of embarrassments from Turning Points USA like Diaper Boy, Black Woman Hitler Fan, and the AR-15 Prom Date Girl would encourage people to do this purely to... own the libs?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All he had to do was not post in favor of genocide.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The old show had an obsession with old hollywood that was definitely archaic at the time. Sometimes I wonder if kids’ shows work weird elements in just to see if they can get kids to internalize and repeat things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

apropos of nothing, here's an irate gamer update:

:q:

It wouldn’t be totally out of nowhere if the guy who believes in ghosts had some schizotypal thought patterns or a mood disorder going on there, much as I would love for there to be a deep-state cabal of James Rolfe, the Game Grumps, and jack septiceye making and breaking youtube channels in exchange for hunting down qanon and his rebel faction.