Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm a grouch who only ever posts in this thread because I'm mad about something, but I have a youtube channel where I post lovely CG renders and long-term video essays, most recently an hour-long attempt to talk about "bad" films, specifically Suicide Squad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhvRFplhQ7U

and twenty-nine seconds of fast food being shot out of a big soda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7AMXXI8uQs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

No, it's stupider than that.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nuns with Guns posted:

Someone please say something either positive or negative about Zack Snyder or Modern Warfare, I'm begging all you.

Just as you've mentioned it, I wrote an article yesterday about performative hostility towards the Snyder Cut and Baudrillard's work about the Gulf War.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It takes less effort to make a new good work of art than it is to fix an inherently bad work of art.

See, this is the kind of response that fascinates me - you must accept this is a somewhat unorthodox position to take?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, "The Snyder Cut", it turns out, was a myth and a marketing ploy. What the people who were clamoring for it are getting is going to be "The Snyder Version". And it is still going to be an absolute disaster because its baseline factor is one Zachary Snyder.

Again, this is exactly the kind of thing I talk about in the article - no-one actually anticipating the release of the Snyder Cut (or indeed any film) is confused by the notion of reshoots, or thinks there is any deception involved in saying "I want to release my original cut" then getting additional funding to make further changes. This is a conflict that exists entirely in the minds of people who are, for some reason, opposed to the very existence of the movie.

From what I wrote:

quote:

And so the Snyder Cut itself, and all of its fans, must be replaced by a series of simulacra. The original cut cannot have existed: instead of the simple fact of a box of film reels, there is the image of Snyder himself performing a catalysing deception, stringing fans along on a hopeless crusade that will never see success. In place of a film director happy to be allowed to finish a project, there must be a scam artist, ill intent behind his every motive. Will he trick the fans, lying about reshoots that will never take place? Will he trick the film studio into spending money on a doomed project? Or is he producing malevolent propaganda for his Ayn Rand views by hiding it in mass media? Take your pick.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Augus posted:

yes there were in fact people who thought a mostly-finished version of the Zack Snyder cut literally existed and it would take minimal effort to release it. you are trying to project your own thoughts and feelings onto an entire fandom because people who like the same things as you do but are also idiots cannot exist

We're not talking about people who thought this being 'idiots', we're talking about them being purposefully deceived in some way, which they clearly were not.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Who exactly is saying this? I've seen people say it's a cynical ploy from the studio or that Zack Snyder might be politically sus, but not that this is some bizarre long con on his part.

Wasn't the whole point of the Snyder Cut discourse in line with like the "true ending" to MGSV theory or secret extra Sherlock episode: that there was either an extant mostly-finished movie sitting somewhere that would be substantially more satisfying than Whedon picking over Snyder's scraps? And evidently there's not if Snyder was approved to reshoot and get finished effects to make a 7 hour double movie?

To answer your first point, the idea that there's a long con going on is implicit in the next thing you say - if there 'never was' a Snyder cut then the implication is that the whole thing is a scam. But there's no conflict between saying "I want to release a mostly-finished rough cut of this movie that I never finished" and then saying "I've been given a boatload of money to turn it into a miniseries" and that's evident in how, by and large, Snyder fans are still excited about the release of the Snyder cut while this fixation on "is this what was promised?" is the pursuit of people who actively aren't interested in seeing the film release.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nuns with Guns posted:

That was always part of it though? Of course there was always some work print of what Snyder wanted before Whedon was pulled in. They had some test screenings for executives that were reported on and images of the film canisters with 3.5 hours of footage presumably in them. There also wasn't a Snyder Cut in the way we've been traditionally marketed "Director's Cuts" where you're delivered a re-edited version of the movie with complete effects and presumably all the finished shots and edits the director wanted, or at least what was available based on the filmed footage they had.

So who exactly was saying that people asking for a release of the work print were being scammed? Or who's saying any of this:

And why exactly are they doing that?

But again, this is a weird technicality that doesn't matter to people who want the Snyder cut - there was no rift within the 'movement' upon finding out that Snyder was getting to do reshoots or w/e. The people who care about this distinction, such as Dan Olson who made a whole video about it, are people who are not interested in the film being released.

I don't think you need me to turn up people suggesting that Snyder's film are trojan horses for Randianism, the idea Snyder has in some way pulled the wool over WB's eyes is implicit in all the monocle-dropping social media posts about the size of the reshoot budget, and the idea that the reshoots were a fantasy that the fans were being led along with was floated around the time Snyder was giving out reshoot slates as competition prizes - I don't have a citation for that one.

Mr Phillby posted:

Why can't ya'll be 'oh neat that thing we wanted that wasn't finished is being finished and then some at great expense, that's cool and good for us' rather than 'gently caress you for saying the thing we wanted to see would need to be finished at great expense, the fact that it's now being finished at great expense means that you were wrong'.

You may not have noticed, but politely expressing a positive opinion of Mr Snyder and his work has a habit of bringing out some very strong responses.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Arist posted:

I'm not saying they're not allowed to like it, I'm saying that the "politeness" is uh, debatable at best. Also I don't think, despite its origins, that comic is inextricably tied to social justice. It's just useful for describing a certain genre of annoying person on the internet.

If you want to exclude me from your personal horse and carriage the ignore button is readily available.

Augus posted:

your article was not a polite expression of how great Zack Snyder is, it was a bizarre and confused tirade about how terrible it is that people are going around acting like the Snyder Cut is a dumb idea\\

Could you expand on 'bizarre and confused'? Even conceding that, I don't think it's rude, other than the essential rudeness of disagreeing with the people quoted. That said, I have previously written less combatitivly about what I like in Snyder's films.

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s finally over.

I'm genuinely interested in where Snyder discourse goes once the cut is out. The funniest (and also best) world is the one where it's unambiguously good, but more likely it's a weird acquired taste like BvS and beyond a few weeks of "there was no Snyder cut, this is clearly an all-new thing" I have no idea. Will he retain his essential power to derail any thread?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Augus posted:

loling at just how quickly it took after someone jokingly said "hey how about we go back to Zack Snyder discourse instead" for someone to immediately reply with their essay dismantling the tyranny of the Snyder haters

I thought it was funny how soon after I published a new article about Snyder it was that this thread had a relevant derail I could post it in.

e:
Fair enough, conversation over.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nuns with Guns posted:

I never asserted there was a rift in the movement or whatever this is. It sounds like there were some people who thought there was a mostly complete movie ready to mass-burn to DVDs, some people who thought Snyder should be allowed to come back and "finish" his movie, and some people who would've been pleased with whatever rough state his prints were in. The bigger point here is the unifying conviction it would be a superior movie to what we got, but was suppressed or undermined for X/Y/Z reasons before. And like yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will be pleased with whatever comes out, but the anti-hype I'm seeing is all in the vein of "Oh god how can this work without it collapsing in on itself" every time another new character is confirmed to be added to the reshoots or whatever. It's not some simmering outrage that a corporation is feeding fans what it wants, or that his is the sign of some great moral defeat letting Snyder direct something again.

I would say I've definitely seen a fair amount of the latter, and that's in part my motivation for writing about it - people are perfectly entitled to the former viewpoint, obviously. Just for example, Kay and Skittles (who I generally appreciate) is of the position that being against the Snyder cut is a moral issue to do with big media being able to recut a film to different political sensibilities. And I think if you take the arguments made by Maggie Mae Fish in her videos seriously, then opposing Zack Snyder being able to make more films is a properly moral demand because her case is that those films are promoting violence against minorities. Check out the comment thread under her last video where people are speculating about what sort of bigoted portrayal of their death Snyder would direct. If this were my position then yeah, I'd be very serious about stopping the man making more films.

Terrible Opinions posted:

So is this a beef with these people in particular or a more generalized group that is meant to be representative? If it's the latter I think you're doing your essay a disservice by including as your five examples one guy who didn't say what you're claiming and another guy who is essentially a twitter rando. Then not really elaborating on how content actually feeds into the ideological framework you present, beyond mean youtube titles. And really it wouldn't be hard to do so, just elaborate on the actual content of videos and include more moviebob tweets. I'm sure he's got plenty saying that like Snyder fans are mass shooters in the making or something similar.

I think this is fair, I want to talk about a general phenomenon I've picked out in communities that I'm a part of, not a conspiracy perpetuated by a few central figures. I wrote the essay first, then grabbed a few recent tweets more to break up the wall of text than to serve as examples, and I didn't want to single out any particular rando, so I stuck to people with reasonable sized audiences. I think it probably does give the wrong impression, I'll see what I can do about it.

I did recognise the Evangelion reference, the relation to Baudrillard is more my hook for bringing in that stuff but it seemed unnecessarily rude to say "lol, bet this idiot didn't even know he was paraphrasing Baudrillard".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

They're arresting a guy, just for being a plumber!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Skippy McPants posted:

one of the furthest left people with a voice in the gaming press.

Some further qualification may be required here

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Yeah, I trimmed Jackson's name out of the quote so it'd be clear that I was dunking on games journalism rather than her.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Steve Sarcophagus

Calvin Crypt. Terry Tomb. Gordon Grave.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Posting not "Exiting the Vampire Castle" but instead someone's YouTube video paraphrasing it is deeply, deeply funny.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

My PC back at that time had a Geforce 6600 with, of all things, a SCART port. And now a SCART plug is finally a major motion picture villain.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Fil5000 posted:

I feel like he's closer to Murdoch than Maxwell. Either way he's 100% Pryce chewing the scenery and he's great.

He's murdered aboard his private boat, just saying.

Pryce is also somehow pulling from Steve Jobs' persona a decade after the movie was released, which is impressive.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Bill Clinton was in the title sequence.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

We may have to start counting the film youtubers who haven't made the canonical takedown of Zack Snyder.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don't really understand this, but it's now my favorite genre.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1331507176351825920?s=20

I hope she does Muzzy next. Or that "do you want to make more money? Sure, we all do!" one.

Everyone covering their favourite adverts is the glorious future Demolition Man predicted for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gza8ZuhWhGE

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Apple is one of the few companies who gives a poo poo about colour reproduction so all their mobile devices come really well-calibrated, well above the standard of the average desktop gaming monitor, this "Dr Disrespect" seems like a bit of a clown!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RareAcumen posted:

I still definitely swore that the 'Darkseid being punched through buildings' part of the cartoon was from a simulation or fake planet or something. Totally didn't think they were on Earth because as far as I'm aware Darkseid showing up on Earth is rare.

It's the finale of JLU, Darkseid comes back from the dead and only gets defeated by a deus Lex machina.

Also the Watchmen comic is a. extremely violent all the way through from literally the first scene and b. way smarter than saying "violence isn't cool" because Alan Moore isn't a Chick-tract writing hack.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The real-world consequence of having billionaires is that they can kill thousands of people and not go to jail.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

^- neck snap?

Mr Phillby posted:

Either that or whoops you just made a movie where superman thinks billionaires are good actually and should be allowed to kill who they like I wonder why people think its an insult to the character of superman.

No-one has ever made a film where Superman is actively dismantling capitalist society so yes, no-one has ever made a film where Superman isn't happy with billionaires being allowed to kill whoever they like. Superman, both the character and the concept, is the product of a society which is happy allowing billionaires to kill whoever they like.

The film's solution to this is some liberal nonsense about imprisoning the bad billionaires and making a human connection with the good ones, but the problem isn't that it's willing to recognise the issue at all.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Karloff posted:

Pretty sure they made a film out of Superman: Red Son, though I didn't see it.

Red Son ends with Superman conceding defeat to the end of history and a thousand years of happy liberal democracy, I regret to say.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Max Wilco posted:

I was watching some video the other day, and mentioned Zack Snyder's daughter, so I looked it up, and turns out (and maybe this is common knowledge) that his daughter committed suicide back in 2017 (sometime before Justice League came out).

Having read that, it makes me wonder if the reason his films are the way they are is a result of coping with his daughter's depression and death. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it, or attempting armchair psychology.

Justice League director's cut will be the first film Snyder has released since that happened.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

quote:

Q. Did you ever find yourself having to reign him in at all, because he’s quite crazy really?
Zack Snyder: He is a bit of a psycho but that’s consistent with the way Frank sees him. He’s not a guy you want to be friends with. In a normal movie the audience is supposed to see the hero and say: “That’s me! I’m fighting!” But I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane…” It was also part of the fun of making it – to suck you in and make you think you’re a Spartan and then showing you something they do that’s completely morally the opposite to what you’d do as a modern person.

Q. And yet you’re completely on their side…
Zack Snyder: You are on their side because that’s the point of view of the movie. Ultimately, a good movie takes you to one point of view. If I’d made this movie from the perspective of Ephialtes hopefully you’d be on his side. You’d go: “Oh my gosh, the Spartans are so mean to him! He’s just a hunchback. He’s trying to help! Screw them!” That would be cool. I could also have made the movie from Xerxes’ point of view and you might have said: “Those Spartans are crazy! They won’t listen!”

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Microcline posted:

That's the point of it? Le Mirage Spartiate isn't about the values the historical Spartiates held or embodied. It's about the glorification of violence and what Snyder considers to be masculinity and a disdain for homosexuality and what Snyder considers to be effeminacy. As a filmmaker, he could just as easily glorify the same values through Ephialtes or Xerxes, but Leonidas is a more convenient vessel.

This is positively disingenuous in the context of the lines quoted immediately before those ones. "I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

For one beautiful, ignorant moment there I thought "Huh, what has JJ Abrams been up to lately?"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

There's a point at which a community becomes too big to regulate itself mostly through the interpersonal pressure of everyone involved being good friends (with maybe one or two people volunteering to deal with spam and maintenance) and becomes somewhere that needs a loosely-defined process for dealing with conflict.

A lot of communities fall apart trying to make the former solution work indefinitely, because the latter is hard and risks upsetting some implicit internal hierarchy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I did read MovieBob's review of Batman v Superman earlier. It's a tiny bit, uh, overwrought?

quote:

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is a travesty wrapped in a disaster inside an obscenity. It is steaming, rotten, sunbaked, oozing poo poo. As a critic, I can’t conceive that we’ll see a worse major studio movie this year. As an observer of the film business, I’m perversely fascinated to know what happens next now that one of the biggest studios on the planet has built multiple Summers worth of release slates around follow-ups to what’s turned out to be a Hindenbergian catastrophe. And as a comic book fan I am… suddenly feeling very, very old. And tired. I imagine it won’t last, but… for now… “tired” would indeed be the operative loving word.

no please, bob, tell us what you really think

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Andrew Breitbart dog train is when you train your dog to piss on his grave.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Yeah, who is 'misconceiving' that? Crypto-fash grifters on social media. It's a viewpoint that can only see as far as twitter follower count, so, a Peter Coffin viewpoint.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

egg tats posted:

hey if anyone wants to get in on this Snyder derail early, curio is premiering their Zack Snyder video right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxk7dB9yeU

quoth the video: "...a flashback where Pa Kent forces Clark to let him die. Of his two dads, Pa Kent comes to represent rational self-interest..."

another swing and a miss, I guess

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

No.1 Special posted:

The last one.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also Shakespeare hot take. i have always viewed Romeo and Juliet as a black comedy.

I was in a dramatic reading over the summer which included an almost-always-cut scene in between Juliet faking her death and Romeo deciding he too must die, where Shakespeare tells an extended joke about musicians being poor and stupid.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cats (2019) is glorious, sorry. A sublime film made by giving a terrible musical to a terrible director.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh God, he's the rear end in a top hat responsible for that!?

I will NEVER Understand this one scene where you just have this one character singing about how much he misses his friends who were all killed by the French military. It' a close up of him but were looking over his shoulder at an empty room. YOu would think this would fade to a shot of force ghosts of his friends int he good old days or something but NOPE! Were just looking at a loving empty room.

Basically every song other than "I Dreamed a Dream" is incredibly poorly served by the "single person very close" imagery. "On My Own" is the one that winds me up, a song entirely about imagination and the perception of a city changing that's filmed on one tiny wet set.

Cats is a huge improvement in this regard, while there's still a lot of that dreck in there its all mixed up with the film's nonstop attempts to dynamically include every possible fetish.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Also Sex and the City is extremely well-regarded, which is one of the reasons that a comeback series is headline news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If you want to use "fanfic" as a term in a meaningful way, your choice is between reifying intellectual property, or accepting that it describes a particular modern subculture. Neither category includes Shakespeare (who literally wrote for the King) or Paradise Lost (Bible well out of copyright by the 17th Century).