Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

for the people who get to go back to brunch he sure would, but not all of us are that lucky. at the end of the day whether it's dealing with the boiling antagonistic hatred of republicans or being means tested into oblivion for the sake of corporations by the democrats with a smile the outlook isn't good.

No, it's harm reduction for those people too. Harm reduction, not harm prevention. Vulnerable people will be harmed to a repulsive degree in a Biden administration, but it will still be less than the harm they're facing now. gently caress's sake, 1 in 1000 black Americans have died due to COVID-19.

That said, I understand and don't resent anyone in that position looking at the options Biden is giving them and just saying gently caress it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's also a terrible analogy. Trump isn't just leaving the knife in, he's stabbing you again. Repeatedly. He is causing more harm than the administration before him (which, yes, was also harmful) and more harm than a Biden administration is likely to cause. Voting for Biden, while still harmful, is definitionally a reduction in harm.

If that's not enough for you, that's fine and I get it, but the choice isn't even is remotely equivalent and making it out to be is disingenuous.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, that thread was meant to be a spin-off of this one with a greater focus on political content, but if went down the shitter right-quick.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The same way pro-life conservatives can vehemently support the carceral state and oppose welfare programs.

Cognitive dissonance is by no means the exclusive domain of the right.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Calling Gita Jackson a centrist is pretty loving funny. She is probably one of the furthest left people with a voice in the gaming press.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pickled Dicks sounds like an obscure British foodstuff.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's reductive but in my experience, incurious and otherwise apolitical people with a platform—which includes Doug—rarely drift leftwards over time. Their complacency inevitably results in folks calling them out when they act the fool, and their laziness prevents any significant introspection or growth. They end up gravitating to the right because at least over there, nobody asks them to think too hard or consider the impact of their speech.

I'm glad Lindsey, Linkara, and most of the other CA folks made it to a better place.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Gonna take something big to top AOC getting killed by Hbomb and also that stream introducing me to CORPSEHusband.

It really was a perfect moment.

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1318749965376606209

"I'm trying to be more observant."

*Neck snap*

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eh, don't care for this take. You get out of communities what you put into them. If your hope is to just set up a Discord and then forget about it, yeah of course it'll go to poo poo. Online communities need effective and engaged moderation to function.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Thing is, if you're a mod for a community that size, what you really are is a Community Manager who isn't getting paid to do their job.

Which is, like, fine for unofficial fan communities, but should not be fine for any space officially under the umbrella of a media company or personality.

Edit: and to be clear, I understand why a smaller company or individual wouldn't be interested in that deal. I just don't like Olly framing it as "oh, they're more trouble than their worth cause someone always kicks off drama," as if there isn't a direct causal link between that happen and poor moderation.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 29, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

i mean yeah he doesn't want to take on the burden of modding a discord or paying someone to do it properly. hes one guy who makes youtube videos

As I said in the post you're quoting, I don't have a problem with him deciding it's too much hassle, I just don't like that his tweet lays that at the feet of his Discord fans.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

i don't think he's doing that at all. you are straining yourself to disagree with a statement you agree with

And I think you're straining to find the most charitable version of a bad twitter take, so I guess we'll have to disagree, otherwise it's pistols at dawn!

josh04 posted:

There's a point at which a community becomes too big to regulate itself mostly through the interpersonal pressure of everyone involved being good friends (with maybe one or two people volunteering to deal with spam and maintenance) and becomes somewhere that needs a loosely-defined process for dealing with conflict.

A lot of communities fall apart trying to make the former solution work indefinitely, because the latter is hard and risks upsetting some implicit internal hierarchy.

This is something all of youtube (and related content folks everywhere) seems to struggle with, that grey area where it's just a side-hustle and you can still be friends with everyone vs. the transition full career and the additional boundaries that come along with that.

I don't envy anyone attempting to navigate that minefield without blowing a significant chunk of their personal relationships.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 29, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nearly all American heroes are assholes of some stripe. We are not a culture that remembers or lionizes gentleness. But really, that is every empire. Sherman was a piece of poo poo who was decent on a certain narrow range of issues, and even if that places him above the historical mean it still ain't good.

The lesson is don't make heroes of historical figures, you'll either end up disappointed or suffering from cognitive dissonance.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

tumblr has nothing on livejournal, a lot of the stories from there have been lost to time but dear god was it a mess

Yeah, tumblr gets a lot of poo poo, but livejournal was all of the drama with even less scrutiny which meant it was a haven rife with abuse, exploitation, and grift.

The bombast of modern social media kinda backgrounds it now, but prior to the late aughts, most social spaces on the internet were home to some genuinely heinous poo poo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Getting around to watching Shaun's massive video on the Hiroshima & Nagasaki bombings and it is very good. I don't think I've ever seen a chronicle of the events so detailed and more important, even-handed. He does an incredible job unraveling the Kafkaesque nightmare of ego and bureaucracy that make the bombings feel at once completely pointless but also utterly inevitable.

This bit in particular grabbed me,

Skull Man posted:

...which brings us back to one of the failures of morale bombing. Totalitarian militaristic regimes don't give a toss about their citizens.

You can't frighten them by killing poor people, that's their day job.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I listen to Calin. He is a superb historical storyteller, but as Terrible Opinions points out his historical perspective is very much is that of a revisionist liberal. Which isn't awful, he accepts and understands the crimes and costs of empire but even at his best, he has blind spots.

Like in the Supernova In The East there is still an undercurrent of implicit jingoism. He has a morbid fascination with the awe of war and often wants to root for the USA, even when he knows he shouldn't because so much that was ground into him at a young age that it's hard to filter it all out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Christmas video was done a while ago and has been available through his Patreon. He's said, many times, that he would like to produce about one video per month but I imagine stuff happens which complicates that running goal.

Which is fine. Online creators are under way too much pressure to keep content flowing at a steady pace. And in Hbomb's case, while he's only put our three videos in the last year, they have been 1h 37m, 2h 27m, and 2h 10m long. That's quite the chunder.

Edit: he and Shaun are just about the only people I can consistently stand making 2h+ long videos.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 20, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wish I liked fallout in a 3d engine more. I just can't get over all the brown, brown, brown.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, still doesn't do it for me, now it's just oversaturated light brown.

I understand it's part of the whole point, but the pallet and desolate world just aren't for me.

Didn't bother me in FO1 & 2, but something about it being in first-person breaks it for me.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 20, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dias posted:

yeah, poo poo cuts both ways, it's how you get creators abusing their influence to hook up with fans IMHO

Flash stardom and all its pitfalls goes back hundreds of years, though like everything else the internet has turbo-charged it in new and horrible ways.

The easiest analog is music stardom. Give any random 20'something a sudden huge influx of cash and social cachet, odds are they'll use it to ruin several lives probably including their own.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

stillvisions posted:

I'd say internet personality stardom has a bigger pitfall: With the internet you live and die on direct engagement more than a musician does. A musician is allowed to have a persona where they're famous, on stage, and don't know you. Internet commentators don't have that luxury, because they live and die on engagement. It'd be like billboard charts based on how many fans you talk to. Plus you have (hopefully) a manager making sure you don't get in trouble backstage with someone you shouldn't; when all your contact is the internet, that isn't going to be prevented.

It was like how B list celebrities were more likely to get stalkers, because they were the ones that had to show up at conventions and other events without a wall of bodyguards. The appeal of an internet personality is they're "just like you" and it's more easy to convince yourself that you've formed a relationship with someone who actually responds to your comment rather than being the mentally ill person who is convinced Madonna was speaking to them by blinking in code.

Yeah, hence the turbo-charged bit. Online celebrity is a minefield of potential abuse and exploitation for everyone involved.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

1) the director decided that using mo-cap suits would have interfered with the actors performances so essentially every frame of the movie has the fur rotoscoped in manually.

This one is pure madness. At that point, you're basically hand animating from reference which is ludicrously work-intensive. When you add in cuts to post-production it's incredible that the visual effects team managed to achieve anything approaching a finished product.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 3, 2021

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

in fairness to tom hooper, the king's speech was pretty good.

it's just that basically everything else he's directed is either outright terrible or good more because the leads were great in spite of the direction, which raises questions like "was the king speech good because of tom hooper, or in spite of tom hooper?

I mean, 90% of that movie is just Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush talking to each other. Their table read could probably sweep the Academy Awards.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've had Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat stuck in my head ever since I watched the Sideways Cats video.

You're not alone in this. I've been listening to the 1998 rendition of Mr. Mistoffelees on loop for days.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I am way more excited about Knives Out 2 than any Star Wars.

Benoit Blanc is a treasure of a character

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this was happening. I have no idea how a follow-up could match Knives Out, but I am excited to see the attempt!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You know I never got around to reading Deadly Hallows. Something about books five and six put me off enough that I never got around to it—think I still have it on a shelf somewhere.

This last year has made me feel a lot less guilty about never finishing the series.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

It's not really true to the books though. Watson in the books is a skilled and intelligent doctor who just isn't the genius that Holmes is. He is generally quite competent. Him being portrayed like a bumbling fool is more down to adaptations like the old Basil Rathbone films.

Stupid Watson!

I miss Hark! A Vagrant.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Solitair posted:

I just realized how hilarious it is that Rowling had this thing about not chasing "woke cookies" in her manifesto when that's literally what she's been doing with poo poo like this.

As with many reactionary positions, projection is baked into the foundation.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Even if they didn't, torpedoing their main channel would be a huge hit to their personal livelihood given how YouTube's hosed up business model works.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 22, 2021

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

flatluigi posted:

i am once again asking you to remember jim sterling uses they/them pronouns

Edited. Sorry, am slow and stupid.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

When's the last time a movie was fantastic? I don't see many so I'm still assuming that's Mad Max: Fury Road.

Knives Out is fantastic and it only came out a little over a year ago.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I will never forgive Modern Warfare 2 for making me think MechWarrior 2 had an inexplicable and massive resurgence fifteen years after release.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dan calling Doug Walker an aspiring filmmaker is one of the harshest burns I've ever heard.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm not big on VTubers since I find the affect a bit grating but it seems like a genius move for any streamer who can pull it off since it puts much-needed degree of separation between the performer and their audience.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lyrics are secondary to rhythm and tempo. poo poo, just look at the Italian hit song Prisencolinensinainciusol. The singer, Adriano Celentano, wanted it to sound American—and it do—but the actual lyrics are gibberish.

https://i.imgur.com/TO4OT5E.mp4

That's not Italian, or English. It is literal nonsesne.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 23, 2021

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I know a lot of people who only watch Youtube via recommended discovery, mostly cause they just leave it on autoplay for background noise.

But still, I think it's a crazy way to live your life.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also maybe because some studios weren't super thrilled about the various abridged projects and didn't necessarily want their localization teams tapping those folks for talent.

But yeah, it seems like it's been a decent on-ramp for some to actually get into VO work. Which is cool for a field where the usual answer to "how do I become a voice actor," is "know someone who works in voice acting."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Katt posted:

Supposedly the devil in Hazbin is this anime prince style character.

Which made me pretty disappointed. I thought he was going to be something hilarious like a 30 meter tall Baphomet style character on a massive burning hellthrone. Then have the main characters mom be a regular proportioned woman and just leave it unexplained how the two of them ever had a kid together.

Star vs. the Forces of Evil did this joke with Mrs. and Mr. Lucitor,

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 1, 2021

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sankara posted:

The 90s sucked.

The 80s too, what little I remember of them. Wasn't around at all for the 70s but they seemed like poo poo. Aught's were obviously a complete write-off and the twenty-teens? Ha.

My conclusion is that decades universally suck rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Day[9] has long been a proponent of the Tao of Just Go loving Kill'um

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bBToBP-68s

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 4, 2021