Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Terrible Opinions posted:

There is also the issue that at least in what American education I've directly taken part in school is way less about actually analyzing the work, and a lot more about decoding how your teacher thinks about the book and then writing to that. It's possible that I just got a lot of lovely teachers by chance, but it seems like those sort of "write what I already think or be deducted points" types are more common than not. At least figuring that out around the middle of sophomore year made the rest of high school and college way easier.

My experience was maybe 10-20% that at most (it was always the most tedious, pop psy dream dictionary level poo poo :nallears:) but the other 80% was endless open-ended questions asking me to interpret something when I had never actually been taught how to do that. :v: Being on the spectrum probably didn't help in that regard either....

Still, the real scourge in my English classes was always the inexplicable need to spice things up with loving arts and crafts. Never enjoyed a single one of those projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Journaling? gently caress journaling. :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The only streamers I ever followed were Run Button. They’re not very active any more, but all their old stuff is still up on their youtube channel. They played every Sonic game in order and tried to do the same for Mario, eventually giving up around Galaxy.

They haven't exactly been pumping out content but they're definitely still active.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

hbomberguy's video was good as hell and explained why I've been able to play the game so many times despite usually not doing that with games. I did like the dig at FO4 when he said it'd be ridiculous not to build upon the systems and poo poo New Vegas put in place.

I very much appreciate that, while he did get some digs in there, it stayed focused on why New Vegas is cool and good and not why Fallout 3/4 are bad. I guess it helps that he already talked for 2~ hours about Fallout 3 already. He even gave some (minor) praise to 3! And acknowledged that Bethesda's overall design approach isn't inherently invalid! :monocle:

It did put me in the mood to play some NV. But I'm dreading needing to faff around with mods to get it working and stable, even if it's relatively straightforward. Also I still need to finish 4 first...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

This'll be wild considering I posted my Steam screenshot where I have almost 200 hours played - I've never used mods.

I am strictly talking about the stuff that makes the game not run out of memory and crash and a basic bug fix fan patch. Unless the need for those has been overexaggerated?

I've never fallen down that "install 100 mods to completely reinvent the game and then never play it" rabbit hole.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vagabong posted:

I think Mr.Btongue was articles for the 20 Sided Tale blog for a bit, although the poor website design makes it hard to actually find his writing.

Yeah he was running a guest column there for a while. I think it ran its course (he largely talked about Game of Thrones) but hell if I know for sure because I eventually got real tired of Shamus Young's "no politics" stance and stopped paying attention to the site.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was gonna say, speaking from experience another possibility is being on the spectrum.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

People getting way into the lore of online only multiplayer shooters (or say something like League) is so odd to me. I've played a ton of Apex Legends and I guess it has a deep storyline about all the characters and I know nothing about it outside of flavor lines the character say to each other.

It's certainly not bad for business because clearly there are people super into this stuff. Also keeps some writers employed.

It at least makes some sense as to why the Fortnite model (which I think Apex has tried to copy) works - Epic puts the effort (aka crunch and $$$$$) into tying everything together and keeping a dripfeed of new clues, easter eggs, reveals, whatever going the whole season. And a lot of that material directly feeds into the gameplay by changing the map, adding/removing weapons, new mechanics, etc. Plus you get an actual in-game event to cap off every season.

In Fortnite, you got to pilot a Tony Stark-enhanced battlebus to do a Death Star trench run on Galactus. In Overwatch, you read a comic out of game and then maybe Tracer got a voice line that indirectly references it.

RareAcumen posted:

I was so bad at Spy I couldn't even shoot people with the guns. I swear the aim reticule and where the bullet would actually go were on totally different planes.

There was definitely something out of whack between the reticle, the bullet tracers, and the actual accuracy of the revolvers. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was some kind of legacy jank from the earliest days of TF2, either back when Spy didn't even have a revolver or back when they rendered weapon stuff slightly differently.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

typhy posted:

spy revolver was hitscan meaning the tracers didnt mean anything and it just instantly either recorded a hit or miss, the first shot was perfectly accurate but the followups were randomly aimed until you waited a while so theres some annoying inherent inconsistency if you didnt know any of this :eng101:

That was what I was getting at, yeah. The tracers looked like they fired off at weird angles totally independent of what the gun was actually doing, which made it feel infinitely worse than it was in practice. I forgot about first shot accuracy thing though it does also remind of the the weird dichotomy of normal shots having weird tracers and then crits being an unmistakable, perfectly accurate laser beam of death.

Edit: Granted, I think most of these problems were largely with the stock revolver, the other ones had a varying but overall less amount of jankiness to them.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 1, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ironically I've often said that I'm tired of cyberpunk media that are singularly oriented around "corporations bad" but I think in truth the problem is that I've mostly been exposed to half-rate cyberpunk media that just cargo-cult that most basic underpinning rule of the style, and then try and play it off like some big narrative twist. Forex, the Syndicate FPS where you spend most of the game blasting away underground resistance movements and gang members and rival corporations and then 80% of the way through they pull the ole "you were working for the bad guys the whole time!!!! :unsmigghh: time 4 revenge!!!!" routine.

Edit: Admittedly I'm also just kind of weary of hopeless capitalist nightmares because I have deep-seated anxieties about that already in the present day. So hearing "capitalism blows, and haha don't think technology will bail you out, it's just gonna make things even worse" is a huge bummer. :/ So in that sense I can understand the appeal of side-stepping all of that and just reveling in "what if everything was 80s neon queer lit and everyone had cool hair and robot arms and we could jack-in to the cybernet".

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 19, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
On the subject of the YT algo, I never suffered terrible recommendations for the longest time. Occasional spurts of dumb bullshit I had to meticulously prune out - oh you watched one funny Korone clip, that means you want literally every single piece of Vtuber content ever produced right? right?? - but for some reason this week the dam finally broke and I'm getting every last terrible channel recommended to me. Max loving Landis? SCOTT loving ADAMS? Fuuuuck oooooffff, Youtube.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bakeneko posted:

That doesn't excuse all of what he did, especially leaving his patreon up years after he stopped producing anything

Gonna be honest, I still don't get why this is a big deal and why it always gets specifically pinned on Spoony.

Why are the dummies who kept giving him $X a month not culpable for not paying attention and pulling their support? Why is this not a fundamental flaw with Patreon itself, since it seems like that would either be against their TOS or otherwise be something they'd want to crack down on?

Even ITT we would regularly get people stopping by to keep us up to date on how Spoony was still stealing money from honest fans!!!! making money for doing nothing and how this was an outrage.

Idk, the whole thing reeks of weird entitled Kickstarter backer attitudes where people think the money is explicitly transactional - I put money into the Spoony Content vending machine and nothing came out, this is bullshit!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That...that is what Kickstarter is. You put money in content comes out.

That's not what Kickstarter is at all, lol.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bakeneko posted:

I think if you’re asking for money from someone like that, it’s your responsibility to keep them updated regularly on the status of the work you’re doing. There wouldn’t have been a problem if he’d been honest, editing his patreon page and sending out a message to his backers saying “sorry, I’m not able to work on this right now due to personal reasons”; it’s the fact that he just went radio silent on the issue that rubbed people the wrong way.

But you’re right in that some of his more toxic fans took it too far, acting like they were entitled to a movie or whatever.

Maybe I just have an overly idealized/radical/mishapen notion of Patreon. I'm not sure how to fully put it into words.

For me personally I'm more than happy to consider Patreon support to be a simple donation, with zero expectations or demands. But perhaps I'm in the minority.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Anyway, demolish capitalism.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ok, I'm gonna jump on the grenade: I actually still get a laugh out of a lot of the early Plinkett skit stuff. Obviously it's dark and off-color, but a lot of the humor still lands for me.

That said, it got progressively less funny and more forced as the videos kept going. I think I've said it before, but the part in the Titanic video where he actually kills a lady on-screen through his bumbling was about the point where I tapped out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JordanKai posted:

Going to bat for Doug Walker is like going to bat for a glass of spoilt milk. I don't understand what continues to draw people to him.

Being ostensibly pro-Doug is just a flimsy excuse to spew hate at women.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

No.1 Special posted:

Jacob Geller - Dark Souls 3 is Thinking of Ending Things

https://youtu.be/lnAWQz34PJs

On a more basic level, I've never understood people being mad about them "just doing Anor Londo again" and etc. because...the series (and DeS before it) are literally about cycles. All of those callbacks are relevant in both a textual and meta-textual sense. Things are literally coming full circle.

Also it's always been hilarious that a lot of the criticisms of DS2 boil down to "it's not enough like 1" but then 3 also gets poo poo for having elements that are...too much like 1.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 3, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

Well, in my take at least, something being cyclical doesn't mean doing the same thing, again, and Dark Souls 3 was full of moments that were basically just "remember this from Dark Souls?" from locations, to characters to specific items.

I'm leaning hard into the symbology. To close a circle means you need to curve back around to its beginning. This would be far more pretentious and reaching if not for the games being in love with the circle motif, particularly 3 where the dark sign is in your face a whole lot.

I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of every callback in 3 (...yet) but the problem as I see it is that people write off literally any reference as repetition or pure fanservice. This is touched on in the video - going back to Anor Londo isn't some self-indulgent victory lap "hey remember Dark Souls 1? :woop:" moment...it's clearly trying to do something through the obvious contrast. The Abyss Watchers are probably the most on the nose example where IIRC aren't they pretty much literally Artorias cosplayers who have gotten so far from the original they barely even really remember what his deal was other than "wow, cool knight!"? That's putting an idea across beyond just referencing DS1.

Now, I do realize that the overwhelming majority of that stuff is very much DS1-related in specific. Is it lame that 2 only gets a few token nods by comparison? Yeah. Are there also a number of different, equally probable (if not entirely fair) reasons I think they chose to focus on callbacks to 1 first and foremost? Yeah. Though I will point out that it's not like 2 isn't guilty of the same thing. Sure, it obfuscates it with a layer of "this is some old weird junk from somewhere, sometime else, ooh spooky" but it's not like there's actually some clever deep lore being made with Havel's set, an incredibly iconic and popular set of gear from 1, showing up in a random ditch in Drangleic or any of the other items they just imported wholesale from 1. (I say as I'm literally wearing the onion helmet in 2 right now.)

If you can think of any specific examples where they went too ham-handed with it I'm genuinely interested to hear them. I can believe they went a little too far at some point and got overly self-referential, because that's a common pitfall (ie, the Star Wars prequels are based on Star Wars itself) but all I ever hear is "Anor Londo again? real fuckin' original, guys!!!"

Nuebot posted:

Also the people who criticize two for being too different but criticize 3 for being too similar are likely to be different groups of people.

I'm aware. I just find it funny that they're damned if they do, damned if they don't to some degree.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 4, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Before 3 came out, I remember a lot of complaints about the "shameless callbacks" DS2 makes, I guess under the presupposition that there'd be a division in lore and setting on the level of DS1 and Demon's Souls? Then they all evaporated when DS3 came out and was "callbacks: the entropic sequel".

This is more of a rhetorical question but I do wonder where the line is drawn exactly, since you generally don't hear people complain about From putting the Moonlight Greatsword in yet another game. Or Patches, for that matter.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

DS2 is the best one, power stance was the best extra weapon mechanic they ever came up with, it's the only one who thought that maybe NG+ should add and change stuff around to make it more interesting, plus it had the best fist weapons and probably the best weapon in the whole series, the Bone Fist.

NGL, I am finding the Bone Fist to be wildly overrated. I get why people are obsessed with it - it's equal parts cool and ridiculous - but it turns out that a game built around 2000 different types of swords (and the occasional hammer) wasn't designed with minimal range punching in mind. If it was a little more viable and a little less "wacky gimmick challenge weapon" then I'd be on board with calling it the best weapon.

Nuns with Guns posted:

DS3's callbacks to Astora are interesting in a different way though, because they're also quiet nods/digs at the Dark Souls fanbase's fetishization of certain DS1 items:

It plays into one of the themes of Anri questline in DS3 of "If you like DS1 so loving much, why don't you marry it?"

I can't help but wonder how much of 3's overall cynicism comes from From's actual feelings on the series. It's rare to see a franchise literally end with "look, it's DONE, there is absolutely nothing left, we're loving off to another world now".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I do think that brings up something interesting where when someone is bad people rush to show how everything they did was bad all along.

The best example is the Mumford and son thing. When he was revealed to be a fascist sympathizer instead of people focusing on that people loudly claimed how much they think his music sucked as if the quality of his music changed anything

Right here on SA I saw several "oh thank goodness Joss Whedon was revealed to be a huge piece of poo poo, now my still-burning hatred for Firefly is completely justified! I win!" posts. :rolleyes:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's strange how Lupin and Tonks are made into a straight, later dead, couple when they are so transparently gay-coded (closeted man and poly woman) Meanwhile nobody really gave a poo poo about Dumbledore because he's the stock geezer mentor, yet somehow he is gay only it's never said or implied anywhere in the text.

At least as far as I've heard, having not read it myself, there's a bit towards the end of book 7 where he pontificates on Grindelwald in a way where you could conceivably connect the dots. But it's still pretty telling that it only comes up whisper-loud, at the end of the final book, after the dude is already dead, and not a single time before that.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think we’ve reached the point where you shouldn’t take anyone who says tankie seriously

Though this applies to any shorthand used to delegitimization your opponent without needing engagement I suppose

lol get a load of this goon

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While it makes sense for Harry to not be privy to all of Dumbledore's personal life, what makes it gross is how it came and went without much notice but then JK swung back in a year later to try and milk the publicity/ally points by proclaiming it as some kind of big reveal.

Shinji2015 posted:

Something that drives me crazy about Joanne being a TERF is that she created a world where it's trivially easy for someone to change their gender expression if they wanted to. They teach kids how to make potions that can transform you into someone else in year one or two of school, and there are wizards who can transform into animals at will. There's no way that there aren't wizards who have devised ways to physically change their gender if they wanted to

Reminds me of the Baldur's Gate situation, where they added a trans character and despite belts that turn you into a man/woman having existed since forever in the setting suddenly it was a Big Problem for Certain People that someone chose to do it intentionally.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 13, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

Blyatman was pretty neat

is russian batman a tankie

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JordanKai posted:

This image is funny and all, but the thing about it is that people playing a game are always jettisoned to the front of a group's page. There is 17 pages worth of people here and the first page isn't even filled with people playing MW2, meaning the vast majority of them were not, in fact, playing Modern Warfare 2.

Lucky them because MW2 is not good.

For some reason people are obsessed with that image to the point where I've had goons get agitated when I've pointed that out. It's bizarre.

Jamie Faith posted:

Big disagree, MW2 is my favorite of the series. I love the big dumb Hollywood action movie-style campaign and the multiplayer? I think blowing up the other team in an AC130 killstreak is the most fun I ever had in a video game lol

:same: MW1 is a bit too dry and MW3 is a joyless retread outside of 1-2 moments. Though I'd rather just go back and play the original CoD and its expansion even moreso.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jamie Faith posted:

Hell yeah the OG ww2 CoDs still hold up brilliantly and its a real shame when people think of CoD they think of ghosts or black ops 2 and poo poo instead of those. Call of Duty 2 is still the greatest ww2 fps of all time for me. Both the campaign and multiplayer are classics :discourse: I've been meaning to get the PC version and download a bot mod so I can play the multiplayer again :allears: I have such great memories of playing that game's mp during the early days of xbox live. :unsmith: Remember the blades ui?.

Unfortunately, I downright hated CoD 2. It has a few bright spots, but it really felt like they hadn't figured out the whole regenerating health thing yet. Way too much cover humping followed by enemies throwing eight grenades to flush you out of said cover. A lot of the scripted sequences got entirely too long in the tooth as well. To me, MW1 basically feels like CoD 2 with the kinks worked out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a No True Scotsman thing, where you're not supposed to be welcome in The Discourse if you haven't satisfied the right metrics. And if you think you have satisfied the metrics then you really haven't someone doesn't want you to. It's an extension of the "Animal Crossing/Mario/Pokemon/Stardew Valley/etc. aren't real video games!" Except there's plenty of people "Gamers" don't like who do play Devil May Cry or Dark Souls or God of War now, so they have to go "Well do you play the hard modes? Do you have to use 'cheese strats'? Have you done [gimped weapon] self-imposed challenge runs?" And it'll spiraling out infinitely because they're not conditions you're meant to ever satisfy.

Reminds me very much of how Dark Souls fans will attempt to argue that it doesn't need an easy mode....because it already has one! And then they proceed to list a dozen or more mechanics, classes, weapons, builds, whatever that make the game easier and so I guess may or may not count as "really" beating the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aside from the usual "Mario is for babies because it doesn't have blood and guns" angle which has largely died down these days, Mario became a big deal in the dumb difficulty discourse because of the Wii-onward stuff like the Super Guide that solely existed to help casual players.

With Pokemon, most of the complaints I've seen are less "is baby game for babies" and more "please, for the love of god Pokemon Company, could you please have a hard mode or literally any kind of adult-pleasing level of challenge instead of the difficulty curve being a flat line?"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuns with Guns posted:

lol yeah you could go start a multi-page flamewar in any of the Souls threads right now regarding weather or not magic/no magic, summoning/no summoning, shields/roll spamming and various other things "ruin" a true Dark Souls playthrough.

The SA threads are largely chill save 1-2 shitposters but speaking more generally, bringing it up will inevitably have people crawling out of the woodwork to question your bona fides. Obviously the only reason to want an easy mode in Dark Souls is because you're a dumb idiot baby child who died to the first holliow and promptly rage quit. Maybe try getting gud instead? :smug:

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think it'd be worthwhile to have more accessibility options in a game like Dark Souls, but something like an "easy mode" that only modifies how much damage an enemy gives/takes or how much HP it has or whatever would be a short-sighted and facile answer to accessibility issues the game would have. My biggest concern would be that is all the devs would do, too.

Like the artistry of the difficulty is heavily fetishized with these games but those options don't ruin most normal people's or hardcore fans' enjoyment of something like Devil May Cry. The pure vision of the game is already filtered though a lot of minds and conflicting goals as it's being published. Are you ruining Sekiro by using the English voices or not being fluent enough in Japanese to be dependent on an accessibility option in the game like subtitles? If it's in the game I'd like to hope it's because the devs had time to thoughtfully implement it, but honestly at this point even if it was, it'd still end up as outrage fodder about a dev bowing to SJW pressure and diluting the purity of the game.

The double standard that says a lot is that people worship Miyazaki for being some galaxy brained genius because he personally put that ambush skeleton there haha you died but the second you wonder how he might approach an easy mode suddenly him and From are nothing but bumbling fools who would fart something out over a lunch break and call it a day.

Edit: In fairness, the infinitely more likely thing is for From to scramble to actually finish the game and subsequently gently caress up the difficulty stuff as a consequence of that. Because despite what weirdos believe every single Souls game is chockablock with problems caused by some combination of the budget running out, time crunch, and/or general mismanagement.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 13, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Terrible Opinions posted:

That dishonored? Those look like great gameplay options.

Dishonored 2, yeah.

It's frustrating how often people parse "Easy Mode" as a singular, cheap, and insultingly basic "take half damage, deal double damage" type thing when that sort of granular or multi-axis customization is decades old. It's a solved problem.

And then the goalposts shift to "if you can elect to make yourself invincible and have the game play itself, then everyone would just do that and ruin the game!!!" except...Control lets you do that, but outside of specific instances ("I hate the expeditions/arcade machine modes and just want the cool costumes") I've never seen someone say they played the game that way. It's always "I nudged the damage down to 70-80% and that felt just right for me".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ivypls posted:

has an artist ever put a ninja warrior obstacle course between their artwork and the audience, i think that would be both hilarious and the only meaningful point of comparison between video game difficulty and barriers in appreciating other forms of art and media. or maybe a movie that stops playing until you solve a difficult math problem

Thinking about all those people who have only read the abridged or annotated versions of books or read them in a classroom setting and I'm getting so mad that they experienced literature on easy mode instead of as intended.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SteelMentor posted:

I regularly get the impression that Bethesda just... does not like Fallout as a setting, but is married to it for brand recognition. Slowly turning the series' most recognisable elements into shambling skin puppets that dance around as the writers continually, viciously ignore any of the themes/plot-threads of the previous games and anything actually interesting they accidentally stumble into of their own make in favour of utterly braindead cliches and gimmicks.

The fundamental tension within Fallout 3 is that Bethesda probably wanted to clear the table of any lingering baggage from 1&2. (You can take that as a purely cynical move, but regardless I think it's ultimately a good thing that they struck out into their own pocket of locations and stories instead of trying to make a direct sequel to 2 and put their fingers in someone else's pie.) But also they wanted to maintain all of the important brand recognition "wow, cool Super Mutants!" stuff.

Beyond that they also clearly treat Fallout identically to how they treat the Elder Scrolls - are Arena and Daggerfall (or the spinoff games) considered ironclad canon? Hell no. So is it really that big of a deal if something contradicts F1? No, because the overwhelming majority of the playerbase for the modern Fallout games have never touched the original. Though ES benefits from the lore including fun nonsense like "uhh....the universe kind of exploded and time inverted and we tried turning it off and back on again and it seemed to work" to help fill in gaps.

Also while 4 gets a lot of poo poo (not wholly undeservedly) it at least tries a bit harder than 3 did. A low bar to clear, but the four factions are at least a step above the largely linear stuff that 3 pulls. I also only found out just recently that 3 includes a quest that sets up the Institute and synths in advance of 4, which I think displays they care at least a little bit. If only about "their" Fallout and not the increasingly distant work done by the folks who put together 1&2. And...I honestly don't know if I find that to be strictly good or bad. In a creative sense, being utterly beholden to the decades old canon of increasingly irrelevant PC games, regardless of their quality, is...maybe not actually that great? But I would also agree that in a corporate sense, gobbling up the IP so they can tread all over what came before except for the most superficial and marketable elements...yeah, that's lovely.

If they were savvy, they would keep funding side games like New Vegas. Have Obsidian keep filling out the western US while they focus on the east. That way everybody wins. Then maybe after a few more pairs of games start teasing some big east meets west thing to get people hype, idk.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I honestly don't know why the radiant stuff gets folks' dander up. You generally have to go out of your way to interact with any of it. I've spent a silly number of hours in both Skyrim and Fallout 4 without touching any proc gen crap outside of a few specific exceptions (like needing to grind out a few Railroad tasks to get ballistic weave).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

the lack of actual scripted quests

So did I play a totally different version of Fallout 4 than everyone else or is this one of those things where the definition of radiant quest has been stretched and warped to something nonsensical?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

You can thank Preston for also making so many people mad at 'radiant quests'

HEY COME HERE MAN LET ME JUST DUMP THIS IN YOUR QUEST LOG

Yeah, to that extent I get it. I just feel like I've been hearing about the radiant boogeyman since they coined the term for Oblivion.

I lucked out because I turned down Preston's offer to join the Minutemen and if you do that you never have to deal with that "a settlement needs our help!" stuff past the tutorial one. Instead you can optionally choose to get radiant tasks from each settlement directly to gain their trust and take control of them that way. Otherwise you can ignore it and at worst you get the occasional blip in the upper left of the screen saying "raiders are loving up your poo poo at <settlement>" or "<settlement got fed up with you not giving a poo poo and left".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this too. i HATE that trope/poo poo. like i get none of its "real"and its the animus so thats a way to handwave various stuff, but a memory in a memory in fictional thing is dumb. the ISU poo poo always sucked. i just like the shithead secret socities loving each other over and over and over again.

I liked the Isu when they didn't have a name and were just "precursor aliens or some poo poo". I haven't gotten to the Odyssey DLC yet, but I checked out pretty hard when the AI? memory uploaded? lady guarding Atlantis started rambling off all sorts of tedious bullshit about an Isu civil war and how they could perceive all possible timelines or alternate realities or some bullshit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

Fallout 4's gunplay is pretty good and fun. It's just a shame that, that's basically the only part of the game that feels like they gave any shits about and the game would have been better if they just didn't bother making it an RPG at all because of how shallow it wound up feeling. But since, as far as I can tell at least, bethesda's primary audience tends to be people who don't really play RPGs. Which sounds like a lovely gatekeepy thing; but what I mean is that games like skyrim, fallout 4 and even cyberpunk are pretty vastly different from the genre they've basically become the face of. And it's kind of weird to see fans of older style RPGs like the classic fallouts just kind of get shut out as a tide of people rush in to talk about how fallout 4 (and cyberpunk, because there was a lot of this, and still is even to this day, as a defense against all criticism of that game) is the best rpg of all times because the guns and explosions are cool.

I mean, I would call it a lovely gatekeepy thing only because "RPG" is a ridiculously nebulous term that applies to a huge range of fundamentally different games. It's just a No True Scotsman routine where the only guiding principle is "I like New Vegas, but I don't like Fallout 3. Therefore......uhhh....well one must be a Correct and Real RPG and the other one must be some populist trash pretending to be an RPG, yeah, that's it." It's why I also always end up calling people out because they seriously bother to go "well The Witcher 3 does this, Fallout 4 doesn't do this, therefore Fallout 4 is bad" despite it being a pretty drat worthless apples to oranges comparison.

The comparison I always go with is casual tabletop gaming. When you're 13, your D&D games are not epic narratives with high stakes and deep roleplaying opportunities. They're dungeon crawls where you avoid some traps and stab some kobolds or w/e so you can walk out with some loot. Grognak the Barbarian doesn't have a complex relationship with his estranged family or is planning on getting deep into the realities of owning his own business, what he does have is a +1 sword that he found after punching a necromancer in the face. That's the general direction Bethesda's games are coming from. They sprinkle some basic "do you save the orphans from the burning orphanage or do you throw gas on the fire" morality plays on top to make you feel like a superhero or a eeeevvul villain and there you go. Obviously it's going for mass-market appeal, but that in and of itself does not make anything objectively bad or strictly inferior to the alternatives.

Schwarzwald posted:

I am going to exercise some willpower and not lionize Morrowind for several paragraphs, but I feel like this has been Bethesda's trajectory since Oblivion.

I can't wait for the same people to get frothy about ES6 and Starfield because obviously Oblivion, and Fallout 3, and Skyrim, and Fallout 4 didn't establish any kind of pattern whatsoever.

Casey Finnigan posted:

eh, that's the way it is in Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 as well. One thing is that practically every area in those games, no matter how populated, are all absolutely covered in undisturbed dirt and rubble, as if the bombs just fell a year ago. No one has any interest in cleaning up the areas where they live and operate, at all. Like, not even removing loose wiring or sweeping the floor, even if that location has been filled with people for 150 years.

Maybe the timeline made some sense in the original games but it's way off in the later ones. I just figure the timeline is whatever it needs to be.

The argument is that New Vegas was only like that because they were forced to use existing assets from F3 as much as possible to save on costs. Which is entirely plausible up to a point but like literally everything else I suspect has been exaggerated to make sure any possible flaw in NV is strictly Bethesda's fault.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm just saying that there's a difference between "Obsidian reused a ton of F3 stuff, which was naturally all banged up and dirty, sometimes to the detriment of the game's internal logic if you stop and think about it" and "literally every smudge of dirt in New Vegas is Bethesda's fault".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

dmboogie posted:

bethesda obviously wants you to care about their stories, though? like just look at fallout 3’s hour long unskippable intro, that’s not an excuse plot that’s just a failure to tell a compelling story

Vault 101 is long-winded and unskippable but it has almost nothing to do with Bethesda trying to rub the player's nose in their Grande Visione of a story or whatever. It's because it's an exhaustive tutorial/vertical slice of the entire game to come. Not exactly a wild thing for a game from 2008 to pull, even.