Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So what does everyone think of Spec Ops: The Line?

Just kidding, but do be sure to check out Brian David Gilbert's Unraveled videos on Polygon if you somehow haven't heard of them because they are a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

First let me tell you where you can go to hear a long, exhaustive explanation of my political opinions. You know, just to make it sound as unappealing as possible.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MonsieurChoc posted:

SRW owns and the new ones in english got some pretty good translations. Def worth playing.

They asked for an explanation and I'm trying to move this discussion away from this thread. I'm pretty sure most if not all posters here are uninterested in this. :shrug:

I know, I’m just joshing on how “long and exhaustive” was maybe not the best choice of words for convincing people to have a look. It wasn’t a bad post or anything.

Jamie Faith posted:

What does "Ya-yo" mean? Its sounds cool/funny but I have no idea what the pirate rappers are trying to tell me

I’ve never heard it but just from reading it it kinda sounds like a bad attempt to blend ya-har and yo? Maybe they thought using yo ho ho would be too obvious?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think there should be a special IK for this thread whose only job is to probate anybody who makes a post containing the phrase Zack Snyder. The length of the probation should be equal to 6 hours times the number of posts already on that page that also mention Snyder.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sydin posted:

Yeah the whole gimmick of this thread is that it constantly derails into talking about stuff that has nothing to do with discussing e-celebs. We really do not need somebody in here handing out a shitload of sixers because people won't stay on topic.

It's not about being "on topic," it's about staying off "this topic," which "sucks rear end."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jamie Faith posted:

Quinton Reviews has a new video on the bizarre and obscure early 2000s Nickelodeon show "Mr. Meaty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4D43HbiXA&feature=youtu.be

Content warning: Cannibalism

Jesus, Nickelodeon? I have the vaguest memories of seeing part of an episode when I was a kid and I found it so scary and offputting that up until now I assumed it was an Adult Swim or MTV show that I had accidentally stumbled upon. In fact, I thought it was a Wonder Showzen skit.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jamie Faith posted:

Q man didn't even talk about the weirdest episode imo. There was an episode that had vegans who were also cannibals that tried to eat one of the main characters.

I'm not kidding lol The vegan cannibal group calls themselves the "soytarians" :v: which sounds like some weird insult an alt righter would use.

(fast forward to 7:54)
https://vimeo.com/263367675

Man there was alot of cannibalism in this kid's show for some reason.

Yeah, I'd say this show contains an extremely unusual amount of human flesh getting eaten. Cannibalism is part of it, but there was also the people getting eaten by gorillas (which Quinton described as cannibalism but I do not think that is accurate) and that lady's nose getting eaten by a rat.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BigRed0427 posted:

So im watching more and more Basics with Babish because i'm digging deeper into cooking for myself and im just now realizing he may not be the greatest person to actually learn to cook from.

"Today we're covering salads! Here is how to make your own Buttermilk ranch dressing!"

Thats cool man, but I don't really have the kind of time to make my own dressing

"Lets talk pasta. Here is how to make your own noodles!"

Uhh...I thought you were going to show us various dishes? Making my own pasta seems a lot more advanced. Plus I can't afford what ever they hell your using to cut pasta.

"Lets make tacos! Here is how to make your own torlias"

Dude, Tortias are like...20 a pack for 5 bucks. Im not that broke.

I've never watched the Basics ones but, during the Binging ones, I like when he goes to all the trouble of making an ingredient from scratch and still admits in the end that it wasn't worth the time and effort compared to buying it premade.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

DC Murderverse posted:

You can always pick and choose what parts of his recipe you want. I’m probably gonna make that Bolognese recipe this weekend but definitely not my own pasta, it will be just fine with a good dry pasta

Yeah, the alternative to this is that he points out that you can also buy (thing) in a store of you want every time he makes an ingredient from scratch, which seems unnecessary.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I can't remember if it was this thread or the meme thread that introduced me to tomatoanus today. If it was this thread: thanks, this is cool! If it was the meme thread: check him out, he makes cool speedrun videos! I hope he isn't a weird bigot like a lot of speedrunners seems to be for some reason!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I remember I once saw a cool picture of a prop cop car from the alternate New York in the Super Mario Bros. movie. It had a thing sticking off the top of it to connect it to a power line like a cable car, because in the alternate universe the dinosaurs never died out, so OBVIOUSLY there’s no oil and therefore no gas. Ever since I saw that I’ve found myself imagining a Super Mario Oddyssey world based on the aesthetics of that movie.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That's the guy who accidentally tweeted a screenshot showing what hentai he was cranking it to, right?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

sexpig by night posted:

to be fair 'ugh don't tell me about POLICY stuff he did I'm trying to enjoy this meaningless gesture that makes me feel good' is gonna be the discourse for the next four years so might as well brace for it.

Reading tweets that make you mad will not brace you for anything, prepare you for anything, or have any other positive impact on your life whatsoever.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, I know what’s happening here! Raenir is trying to distract everyone from Bob’s pathetic attempt to pretend that him and Lindsay are friends with an even more pathetic attempt to pretend that they and Bob are friends.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Garrand posted:

I don't know if LockPickingLawyer really gets posted here but I wanted to post this specifically because of how hard I laughed at the pivot towards the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxmmwWwW6TY

He has some part of an online storefront for lockpicking tools and going from 'this tool is usually too thick for this' to 'so come on down to covertinstruments and I'll sell you the right ones!' killed me. Video talking about his site here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigsHNdATlY

Releasing the video where he announces the new site and says that the next bunch of videos will be showing off stuff from the site on the same day as the first of those videos was probably a bad idea. Especially since it means that the second one shows up in people’s feeds above the first. I had the same experience and it was kinda jarring.

Apparently he has now retired from law to do lock stuff full time. His channel is really good so I’m glad it’s been such a success for him.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Bee posted:

Brentalfloss' webcomic has some sort of subliminal conditioning etched into it that makes me forget it exists until somebody brings up that it happened. I'll probably forget it again before the end of the day.

I’ve never heard of it at all.

...or have I? :tinfoil:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I haven’t watched Mandalorian but isn’t their armor a cultural, ceremonial sort of thing? Don’t they wear it literally all of the time? In that case it would make some sense for women and men to have different base shapes for their armor, as long as both are practical, which seems to be the case.

There’s this blog I like called Bikini Armor Battle Damage that posts about different women’s armor designs, specific reasons why some are bad, and every so often does cool redraws on bad designs. Be warned though: some of these “armor” designs are REALLY skimpy, so don’t go browsing this at work or your grandma’s house or whatever.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Shame Boy posted:

Can't believe they had Yako Warner do a big musical number about how great Medicare for All is actually a great idea at the end of the new Anamaniacs! Now that the left have introduced this idea to our children in the form of catchy show tunes they can....do what exactly?

If we expose our children to the idea that it's good to take care of people's medical needs, it's only a matter of time before they end up being kind and considerate in all aspects of their life. In other words: weak! This is not acceptable!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

nine-gear crow posted:

One of the levels in Left 4 Dead also has a HUMANS ARE THE REAL MONSTERS! note on one of the walls of the safe rooms, and its followed on by like three or four replies that are basically “gently caress off.”

There’s also one that helpfully replies something like “No, the zombies are the monsters. We’re the humans.”

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

YeahTubaMike posted:

TIL Milo Yiannopoulos and Andy Milonakis are different people :psypop:

Which one of them did you think they both were.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

THAT’S what “mutual” means? Jesus christ! Based on how people use it I thought it was a synonym for “friend” or “colleague” or at the very least “person that I know.” Why are people using a term that means “someone who follows a person on Twitter that I also follow” that way? That’s horrible.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Motto posted:

"Mutual" means that you follow one another, not that you both follow some third person.

Oh, that makes a ton more sense!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm cis and straight but I'm also black. How sus am I?

You can ask people to send you stories about their experiences with generalized epilepsy, but not focal epilepsy.

EDIT:

:emptyquote:ing this good rear end post.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 10, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mr Phillby posted:

Tumblr is just incredible at generating the most insane drama I loving love it where else would you find callout posts about people selling human bones or find people happily handing thousands of dollars over to literal teenagers to organize conventions or create animated TV shows without question?

The only other place I know of on the internet where stuff like this happens is, uh, well...

EDIT: I'm so glad Chip Cheezum and Voidburger were streaming the Game Awards so we could see Chip's reaction to the new Smash Bros. character.

https://twitch.tv/videos/832915145?t=1014s

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 11, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jamie Faith posted:

I love the Blue Coins in Sunshine. Sunshine has much denser levels than 64 and Blue Coins really emphasize that imo. I agree with this person that the save prompt that pops up every time is annoying but disagree with the notion that they're "mandatory". You don't have to get every Blue Coin/Shine Sprite in order to beat the game. You only need them if you're doing 100% completion so complaining that you need to collect everything in a game in order to get 100% completion is kind of silly to me personally. Alltho I get their main problem with BCs is that some of them are tedious to find and I admit I don't have that problem because I still have my old Prima Strategy Guide that has a checklist for each BC which makes each one harder to miss.

Sure you don’t have to get every shine. That doesn’t mean it’s not a problem for a gameplay element to make the game super unfun to play that way if that’s the way you want to play it. I guess I don’t really get what your point is.

EDIT: Also, the video totally covers this. Getting all of the shines should be fun. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a challenge only for the most dedicated of players. The guy in the video says that he always goes for all the stars in 64 and Galaxy because they’re fun to get, but doesn’t in Sunshine because getting them all there is just tedious. That’s a problem.

Frankly, I don’t really understand the purpose of the blue coins only being there for certain shines. If they’re supposed to encourage exploration, why would you want it to be possible for a person to explore an area and not be able to get the coin that’s sometimes there?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 15, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

When Tim Allen killed Santa, did the original Mrs. Claus also die?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not really a backstory in the strictest sense. You delivered something in the past and moved on unless I'm forgetting something. You also didn't know what the platinum chip you were delivering was and it got you "killed" and set off the whole game.

I thought the point of Lonesome Road was you had no idea what happened or what you'd "done" because it was a just a seemingly inconsequential delivery job you'd done.

It’s still a ton more than in the base game, where the backstory you’re given amounts to “you are a courier who was hired to deliver the Platinum Chip and got shot over it.” Everything else is left up to you including how long you have been a Courier, where you came from, what the job means to you, and so on.

Then at the eleventh hour Lonesome Road comes along and is like no, you’re THIS courier and you ran this VERY SPECIFIC AND IMPORTANT route and you made this FATEFUL DELIVERY and yadda yadda ya. It’s easy enough to ignore, but it just seems so odd to me that they would do that after giving you such an open-ended start and then not addressing your backstory at all for the entire base game and three DLCs. Very strnage choice.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Why do they key doing that poo poo in games with player created characters?

Probably because giving the player an engaging and believable role in the story is pretty hard when they don’t have a set personality or backstory, and is much much easier when they are the world’s most generic video game protagonist with the world’s most generic motiviation like in Fallout 4.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

dmboogie posted:

fallout 3 definitely has stuff to enjoy in it but the "sure i'm immune to radiation but it's ~your destiny~ to go into this radioactive room and heroically die" bit might be the dumbest writing choice in any rpg

I seem to recall that the game started without even that and it was only added after people started asking “why can’t I send my radiation-proof friend into the radiation-filled chamber to do the thing that needs doing when I already did exactly that earlier in the main questline?” like they just didn’t think of it. Is that true, or am I misremembering?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 23, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://youtu.be/MBCP7h2RhVA

SimpleFlips has now, finally, collected every star in Super Mario 64 while being pursued by a deadly 1-up. This last episode has some of the stars that he was the least sure he would be able to get, including one for which he had to recruit the irreplacable Pannenkoek just to find a possible route.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sarcopenia posted:

"You need premium to view this"

The post is only four sentences, how did you miss one?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Right now Jerma is going through an ordeal where he bet 500 million community subs that he wouldn’t miss a shot in Noita, and he did, and now his chat is holding the $2,500,000,000 debt over his head. He did a stream starring his his dog in exchange for, if I recall correctly, $375,000,000 worth of debt relief.

Most recently, he made a bet on a video game wrestling match that if he had lost he would have had to do a stream dressed as a catboy, but since he won he got a full billion taken off. Then he went double or nothing and lost, so now he owes that billion again and has to do two catboy streams. I’m really enjoying the debt arc.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

“Being a parent is basically like being a huge weeb or star wars nerd, but moreso” is a HOT HOT take that I did not expect to see today.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, after the sheer amount of "we're rockstars and this is going to be the best game of all time" that they put out there before Cyberpunk fell on its face, I expect the promotion surrounding their next game will be considerably more humble.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

He could probably have lasted a lot longer if he had kept his head down and just started streaming again. Instead he made a lot of noise about how he's totally better now and ready for his big comeback and got the hammer brought down on himself. Dumbass.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dias posted:

Is there anything wrong with the dude from Let's Game it Out because those are prime "let's destroy this sim game" videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCuz0pqBKb0&hd=1

Yeah, he’s a giraffe-torturing psychopath.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah I definitely caught that this time around as opposed to when the video first came out ~4 years ago.

What baffles my mind is how people like this don't realize that you NEED diverse gene pools to, you know, avoid birth defects.

Sure, but you also need to keep out the evil criminal genes that make people into bad people. I’m a very scientific thinker, you see.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah I say delete em. What's the alternative, have a reasoned debate with them? Fat chance.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cerebrospinal fluid is pouring from my eyes and nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Seems like nearly everyone involved in this utterly unreadable argument is making up more ridiculous versions of the arguments that they disagree with and then responding to those. Please god can we institute a threadban on Snyderchat. It has never produced a fruitful discussion.