Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Casey Finnigan posted:

she's the one who sold "gamer girl bath water"

also people are really mad they supposedly based a league of legends character on her now. That's about all I know having picked up the screams of angry nerds on the winds of rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

Is it the one they made a creepy parasocial-harvester influencer of?

Yeah the new one, Seraphine or whatever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

mmm smell that new thread smell.

You guys like...STAR WARS?

Gurren Lagann and Cross Ange make any game they're in worse for it!

Also Super Robot Wars J was super fun and better than some of the console titles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

V and T were great and X was okay. Wataru helped in the latter's case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQxC1vGgyoo

Yeah but they'd be better with, say, Big O instead of Gurren Lagann. Give me more Big O.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Fixed that for you.

There's a pretty fair number of good handheld SRW games and it makes me wish they'd do some kind of collection and translate/port/maybe even HD-ify them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Harm reduction doesn't work with Biden and crew because no harm gets reduced. It's a dumb argument that doesn't work in this particular instance.

The big problem with the "Just Vote" stuff is that there's almost always an implicit "The way I want you to" attached to it. Just look at the kind of harassment and endless attempts to shame and insult people who genuinely don't feel represented by either party: countless voices basically shoved into silence because they're told their vote doesn't matter and that no candidate should actually have to work to earn their vote because if they don't vote for the blue man, no matter how lovely he is, then they're just as bad as the red man even if he's a literal super hitler. But of course politics isn't a team sport, no, it's only the people I don't like who enforce the team sports mentality; just vote the way I want to or I'll spend the next hour telling you what a horrible human being you are for not believing that my candidate will do literally what he's said he will at best; absolutely nothing. Or, perhaps, at worst stick to his political track record rather than suddenly veering left like everyone seems to swear he will despite decades of his life not suggesting he'll really do that.

And the part that really gets me is that when it looked like Bernie still had a chance to beat Biden there were democrats all across the internet throwing their own hissy fits over it swearing they'd never vote for him no matter what and no one could make them. So why is this poo poo okay? Why are so many people continually falling in line to bend over backwards to try and make as many people as possible continually "suck it up and vote for the lesser of two evils" when it doesn't really work that well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Hey let's just talk about One Piece instead!

They would have changed the zombies into people who weren't actually dead, just magically cursed or something and when Luffy beat Moria they would go back to normal and be fine lol

I think they just would have taken the old man with a wound joke literally and all the zombies would have been reframed as crew members who were on strike because of poor osha compliance.

Sydin posted:

On the other hand arbitrary gatekeeping of what topics are allowed because they don't "suck rear end" is loving terrible.

But I do have to agree here. I hate snyder, starwars and spec ops chat but a ton of posts telling people to shut up and stop talking about things make the thread even worse

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, speaking of that, what do you think is going to be the next Disney movie to be remade in live action and less than the animated version and do the princess/female lead dirty next?

Is it possible to do a worse job of it than Mulan and Aladdin? How could this be achieved?

Snow White would be a pretty bad option.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I believe Disney is able and willing to do Pocahantas but worse in live action.

So Avatar 2?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

Not to linger too long on cinema robbie but a lot of the time when straight white dudes who are way too obsessed with idpol (and for the record i dont think idpol is inherently invalid just unsure how else to phrase it) try to get on the 'ah, so you're being HOMOPHOBIC/RACIST/SEXIST' they mostly reveal how limited and stereotypical their view of those groups are. like the one saying brunch is weak/feminine is bob, and then he's associating it with gay dudes.

A fun example of this was the Orc Discourse a while back where you'd get some people trying to explain what, exactly, the issue was with how a lot of fantasy races, as represented in things like D&D, like Orcs and Drow are, their origins entrenched in stereotype and racial coding, and digging through all that mess to try and get people who had no interest in understanding, to understand; and then you had people saying that Orcs were fantasy black people, which was racist, because orcs were strong and dumb.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Quinton Reviews has a new video on the bizarre and obscure early 2000s Nickelodeon show "Mr. Meaty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4D43HbiXA&feature=youtu.be

Content warning: Cannibalism

Me and my friends loved Nanalan when we were younger. Not like, Nanalan young but you see a bunch of my friends had younger siblings so we'd hang out and while the younger kids watched it we'd be subject to it and eventually the absolute insane fever dream poo poo of that show just became part of our humor. Then as I grew up I just kind of began to think it was a weird hallucination I had as a kid but it's nice to knoow it was real.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Thats what happens when people are friends with each other.

I guess, and maybe I'm just a curmudgeon. But I watch Person A's channel because I like the poo poo they do. If I wanted to watch Person B's stuff I'd watch their channel. But hey, I can live without watching one video out of however many a channel has, it's not my thing but it's probably great for the people who love both. But it can be a bummer when I see a personality I enjoy pop out a video on a subject that makes me go "Oh man, I bet this will be super interesting" But half the video is someone else talking about the subject and I have absolutely no interest in what that other guy has to say.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

egg tats posted:

collabs and outright promoting other people are literally the way to find new people you do like

thoughtslime might not know how to pronounce Burger King™ correctly but he wouldn't still be doing the eyeball zone if it didn't work, you know (and I'm sure his videos getting shoutouts recently caused some folk to sub to him too!)

at least they're not as terrible as they were in the channel awesome days

Promoting other people is different from a collab though, I love the eyeballzone and I've found some really amazing channels through it, and almost always check out the channel linked. But I'd probably be less inclined to watch one of his videos if he did another landlord video but also another guy was just there to also commentate on how much landlords sucked.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shyrka posted:

Also if you've fallen down the VTuber rabbit hole you probably see a ton of Minecraft content.

It works because a lot of people are playing minecraft again now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Watching the new Down The Rabbit Hole video, its really kind of fascinating how the project kept expanding and evolving into something that not even its own creator seemed to fully comprehend after awhile. There's a point where the chess grandmaster asks where he went wrong after losing a match to Deep Blue and the developer guy basically says "I don't know". I mean yeah its because he was computer scientist with a laymans understanding of chess but something about it really struck a chord with me. Say you build a dancing toy robot as a fun science project and then when you go and show it to your friends it gets up and starts doing Ballet en Pointe. Technically your creation is doing what you want it to do but its also doing something profoundly more than that.

It sucks that the match ended on such a sour note for everyone involved, though at least it seems like everyone went on to fairly stable lives and successful careers. Throughout the video I thought Kasparov went nuts and ended up dying in a church in Iceland but it turns out I was getting him mixed up with Bobby Fischer. Actually Kasparov seems like a pretty stand-up guy from what little I've read about him (though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that front).

Isn't Kasparov the guy who straight up refuses to play women in chess, or is that some other weird chess grand master who thinks women shouldn't be allowed to sport?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Of all the recent twitter stuff, I think I found the most important.

Looking forward to "In Defense of Fallout Equestria" I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

tbh there's probably an interesting topic in the transformative nature of fandoms where people take two things they like with no real connection and try to make them work together. You can contrast it with Funko style consumerist bullshit of "HEY LOOK IT'S A T-SHIRT WITH RICK COMING OUT OF THE TARDIS GIVE US THIRTY DOLLARS" and actual fan projects and art it makes and all, the difference between the lazy grimdark 'what if ponies said gently caress and shot each other with mouth guns' and actual attempts to blend the tones and all...could be a neat springboard.

There are a ton of interesting topics regarding fanworks, consumerism and fandoms in general and while I was joking if that is the way poo poo spins I'd be down for it. I feel like, given how prolific streaming is these days, there definitely is room for conversation about how we view fanworks and making entire careers or like sprawling communities based off of properties we don't really own or anything and how the old argument of "fanwork is a fine springboard to start with but you should grow up and do original stuff at some point" isn't really a thing anymore given just how powerful fanfiction and fanart can be and how many popular series have solid rear end roots in fanfiction now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

They kind of have a point though. If you're doing an interview about being cancelled and offhandedly mention that it was actually a very profitable time for you, but was just so dang hard on you, emotionally, despite how many supporters that had your back and were lining up to give you more money; maybe you weren't actually cancelled.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dire Lemming posted:

Not really? I stopped watching Contra because I didn't like what she did but saying she's not allowed to feel isolated because she has a successful business is absurd. I've yet to see argument along the lines of "you are x, thus you cannot be a victim of y" that actually holds up, maybe they're actually all bad arguments?

Except that's not what people are saying, no one's even saying her feelings aren't valid. Just that if you've still got a massive audience, didn't take any kind of active hit and still have people wanting to interview you to hear about how hard it is to be you: were you actually cancelled? She's free to feel however she wants about whatever she wants, but it seems silly to stand on a stage people you, yourself, have maligned will never even get close to and say how hard it is to be cancelled, speaking to an audience that waits on your every word - which you still have because...cancellation means your audience only grows, right?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm surprised the big callout was "Oh no, boob armour" and not the fact that the lady mandalorians also had like, weirdly feminized visors as well which I don't think is a thing they've ever really done in star wars before? There've been plenty of women wearing mandalorian armour, and there've been more than one style of visor. But I can't recall off-hand any with that specific style of like, tapering shape that makes it look more like lady eyes. If it was any more cartoonish they would have given them eyelashes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

It’s lifted right out of a cartoon

That would make sense then, the modern cartoons came about right around the turn of me losing my interest in star wars so I never saw them.

Alaois posted:

the thing i'll always associate with brentalfloss is that absolutely baffling song where he posits that Tetris is a bad game because girls like it

He had a lot of bad songs like that; I always knew him as "the guy who put lovely lyrics to any kind of moderately popular game soundtrack" and was completely surprised too find out he had a following and a webcomic and all sorts of poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

McCloud posted:

Can I be slightly annoyed at Sarkeesian for having a real dumb take but also think foaming at the mouth about it is really stupid? Is that an option?

Anyway, today was a big day for Snyder content, and in the spirit of generosity (and spite) I come bearing content

https://youtu.be/4ciwO9zUYIE

Gwendolyn Jae Stone made a video called The People V Snyder, the case of fascist art.

It's good ,imo.

I dunno about good given how much of it is just being angry that someone disagrees with them about a director - and they continually break away from their own points to emphasize how they "no longer respect" said person because of this and go as far as to make up absurd extreme arguments to dunk on and go "Yeah you might as well have said that" to pat themselves on the back over. Like their take on Dawn of the Dead is fine, for example, and I enjoy hearing it. But when they frame it entirely through "gently caress you, you're wrong and I'm right! This can only be read one way!" it kind of undermines the whole point of the video I feel and makes it look super petty.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

McCloud posted:

Second, the reason this video was made was because the discourse around Snyder has long been ridiculously hyperbolic and inflamed with ludicrous and baseless accusations about fascist propaganda, and even people who should have known better participated in it.
Recall the original thesis it rebuts re: dotd is "This movie is islamophobic" , which is hyperbolic nonsense at the face of it to begin with, but was still treated seriously until it's then claimed it's also homophobic, a farcical statement.

I mean Maggie Mae Fish made her claims and presented her ideas and the logic behind them well enough, this video does exactly what you do here: It just goes "you're wrong and this is stupid" then offers an alternate take, says it's the correct one and doesn't really explain why it should be taken any more seriously than the other one other than the insisted belief that the other one is wrong with the focus on being how bad and dumb the other person is rather than why their take even is what it is.

Just to stick to the comedic Ebert line of thought, they mention that Ebert was wrong and specifically cited Ebert saying that Snyder's dawn doesn't convey satirical anti-consumerism like the original did, and their only counterpoint on that is to talk very briefly about the guy who has a bunch of guns but gets killed because zombies snuck in through a doggie door; talking about how that's a satirical take on the American military and people. Which, sure, but that's not really a shot at consumerism? Like the guy has a pretty huge chip on his shoulder that people just find faults in Snyder's work and are therefore Wrong. And he's super sarcastic and bitter throughout the whole video as a result and it makes the video less enjoyable because he can't just let his own poo poo stand, it has to be in service of some big brained correct take.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Equeen posted:

I know this has nothing to do with your post, but Gwen is a woman.

Cool, thanks, I didn't know and I generally try to use neutral pronouns if I don't.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Who could have guessed that Gwen was not a man's name

Generally that would be a safe assumption but I've known enough women with masculine names and men with feminine names that I don't feel it's especially fair to flat out assume even if, in most cases, it's going to hold true. But that's literally just me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I went and watched the Patrick H Willems video yesterday and I realized he kind of says a lot of the same things I mentioned in my prior post. I'm not sure I agree that, say, Batman should be solely reserved for all-ages or kid appropriate shows. I think he's right that chasing R-rated superhero films and the kind of content that's added to them is the result of myopic Hollywood assessments of what made Deadpool successful and what people expect in R-rated content. It's funny because it's the same shallow assessment of what made Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns successful in 1986 that lead to the "darker" comics of the late 80s and 90s.

I feel like one of the points I agreed strongest with from the video was that the DCAU shows were probably one of the best presentations of those characters. They were far from perfect, but they occasionally dipped their toes into covering more mature subject matter and tones than people would expect from a kids cartoon about super heroes and generally treated them with the gravity and sometimes the respect they deserved and moreso they trusted that the audience watching was capable of understanding and dealing with it as well. It kind of goes back to the discussion of how people conflate blood and violence with "mature" when it's a very thirteen year old in middleschool mindset of rad cool grownup stuff to watch batman say a gently caress and punch someone's jaw off in a fountain of gore, as opposed to the storylines that deal with the fact that sometimes the villains really are just people in extremely lovely circumstances who do what they do because they fell through society's cracks and feel like they don't have any other options left and punching them doesn't solve the underlying problem; something the batman animated series dipped into more than once when it wasn't the joker's wacky crime time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I still definitely swore that the 'Darkseid being punched through buildings' part of the cartoon was from a simulation or fake planet or something. Totally didn't think they were on Earth because as far as I'm aware Darkseid showing up on Earth is rare.

It was the big series finale. Spoilers for an old rear end cartoon I guess: Lex Luthor spent the entire final season going desperately trying to bring Braniac back to life after having spent a prior season merged with him and turned into a symbiotic ultimate life form sort of deal. What he accidentally does is bring back Darkseid fused with Braniac because in like the first season Darkseid loving dies along with Braniac when the asteroid they're on blows up and their bits just get mulched together in space. So the Darkseid that shows up to take over earth out of sheer spiteful revenge is super charged, basically, and the villains and heroes unite to fight off his invading army. IIRC that specific scene plays out after the other heroes evacuate the city and they explicitly tell superman to just take him out because as far as they know superman cutting completely loose is the only thing they have that could possibly even compare to Darkseid.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NDGkoPhyE&t=1s

god I should make a youtube essay about OOO. all the rider youtubers are terrible

Do it, there isn't enough Rider content out there that isn't just like, lists of the coolest riders.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Sarah Z continues to make videos for a target audience of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QhgQ-g4C0

The car going to heaven is killing me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

When searching for this thread i found the old one and around September someone posted about how RD was losing it irt that destiny clip, he's since then doubled down on it.

Another streamer had a "debate" with him about that specific clip and spent the entire time basically just repeating over and over an out to let that Destiny guy just walk it back and say he didn't actually think white supremacists should just walk in and murder people but he doubled down every time. He's never not doubled down on it and doesn't seem like he's ever going to stop.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ButterSkeleton posted:

I have a predisposition against super white rear end journalists who write articles about the suffering of others. In this case the article work definitely isn't a race/gender thing, but the approach is still white as hell. Sitting at home and collecting stories in DMs is IMO the safest, whitest poo poo on the planet.

Epilepsy is something that doesn't really give a poo poo about your race, gender, sex, or pretty much any other facet of your identity. People across the globe can get it and suffer from it, a lot of people can get hit by it and literally never know or realize what it is because we, as a sort of increasingly media reliant culture, have a weirdly specific and usually joke-focused definition of what epilepsy and seizures are (people watch cartoons, fall down flailing wildly and comically) and the majority of people will probably go through life without ever encountering a seizure or even knowing an epileptic personally even though there are certain types of non-dangerous epileptic activity that are fairly common in a lot of the population. All most people know about this poo poo tends to come from things like The Simpsons which had one episode that jokes about anime causing seizures. And the hosed up thing? Any epileptic who doesn't like being made light of like that just gets told to shut the gently caress up and stop being a bitch. Just like with the recent cyberpunk controversy where tons of people I, otherwise, thought were cool and respectable couldn't wait to prove just how much they loving hated people who's brains are broken.

It's something that doesn't get reported about, often, and a ton of people are very ignorant about to the point where there's this massive almost insultingly myopic view about epileptics where even people in progressive spaces just have zero sympathy or empathy for us. I see arguments like "Well if you ignore the warning signs whatever happens is your own fault" and it's just a really callous and exhausting one because basically every facet of your life is potentially seizure triggering unless you wear a blindfold all day and sleep perfectly every night in a hyperbaric chamber or some other absurd poo poo like that because it's an absurdly varied and individual disability to have. Know what the number one thing that makes me feel dizzy and faint is? The sun. Specifically morning sun, the way it flashes behind trees, poles and other things when riding in a bus or other vehicle. For years that made getting to school or work an absolute nightmare because sometimes I'd arrive borderline incoherent and most people would just shrug their shoulders and tell me that was my own problem (I, in fact, failed phys ed. because my school didn't give a poo poo about what my doctor said). There's nothing I can do about that except try to work my life around that poo poo and I was lucky enough to be diagnosed when I was young so I've had decades to adjust and adapt to a fairly restrictive life in regards to garbage like that. For people who get diagnosed later in life, it's very difficult to adapt because depending on the severity they might well have to treat every day like they're made of glass now and if anything goes wrong the entire world is ready to just tell them to gently caress off it's their own fault. It's really, really, hosed up how lovely people are to epileptics and diabetics, yo.

Here's a personal anecdote about just how much this poo poo sucks: I was diagnosed at thirteen. I had just started learning how to drive, because I'd have been able to get my learners in the next few years, and was really excited to finally have a car and be able to drive. But my seizures were hard hitting and we didn't know what triggered them right away, so unless we could figure that out and get them under control (in my state at least it's something like two years seizure free and owning your own car and having a driver's license is pretty key to a poo poo ton of jobs in America, even if you don't need them for that job - boy howdy let me tell you how fun it is to try and get a job when you have neither of these things.) then I'd just flat out never be able to drive. So that was one hopeful dream smashed. Movies? Video games? Watching TV? Even browsing the internet? Well again, depending on what set off the seizures and whether or not we could find a medication that would get them under control I would either not be able to do these things at all or would have to do so in a severely limited fashion lest I be risking my life every time I wanted to look at fun jpgs. Oh and stress and exhaustion exacerbated my new condition and made me even more prone to seizures. Know what makes me real stressed and exhausted? Having all of my hobbies potentially hacked away from my life and having to spend the next few decades structuring my life around a heavily restricted schedule and public transit. Any time I had a seizure my doctor blamed me for it. I wasn't following the restrictions, I wasn't taking my medication, I wasn't doing it right. But the medication didn't work. I kept saying this, it didn't loving work. It just made me sick. Seizures kept coming, and since no one loving listens to an epileptic, they just blame us, I got to spend a good few years getting worse and worse until I could finally, legally, make my own medical choices and find a doctor who would listen to me. Even then it took us another five years to find a medication that works because that's just the joy of epilepsy. My current medication, and as far as we know the only thing that works, destroys my bones though. I now have to take five different medications just to stop my ribs from shattering at the most mild of impacts, it's just a loving horror show down there now, not a single one lines up with another anymore. Oh, and during all of this? I had no one to talk to. No one who gave a poo poo. Because Epilepsiy is a funny joke! Pretty much anyone who found out in real life spaces would immediately try to start flashing the nearest light switch. People online would start sending gifs and youtube links.

I say all of this because holy gently caress, if the reaction to that cyberpunk thing proved anything it's that we desperately need more people to report on epilepsy. Because, still, people don't give a poo poo about epileptics. Our experiences are ignored and dismissed, even when it's about our own reactions and experiences. People continually look for excuses to blame us for what happens and the sheer disdain shown for something we literally have no control over is not only disgusting, but depressing. We deserve to have fun too, and we deserve to be treated with respect like anyone else. But at best people just kind of treat us like we don't exist. Because when they do, it's just as a joke or active dislike.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ButterSkeleton posted:

It's unbelievably terrible that you have to deal with that poo poo. It's awful, especially, how alone you felt about all of it. I hope you have found at least some support network nowadays who have provided some help for you.

It was the start of my becoming Very Online, really. Since I couldn't do as much fun stuff as I could before I started hanging out on more forums (which was how I discovered SA eventually) and I made some internet friends who were nice people, eventually. Some of whom I'm still in contact with well over a decade later.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ButterSkeleton posted:

I'm glad you've found some people who understand you and keep on contact with. And I apologise if my topic upset you in particular, I'm trying to work through a personal grudge I have I think.

It's less upset and more just frustration at how we, epileptics, in general tend to be ignored and dismissed even when we do speak up about something that impacts us. People seem to think that a blanket "product has flashing lights" warning should be good enough to shut us up and make everyone happy, but it's kind of not. And this whole conversation that's arisen has really pointed out how many people are not only ignorant, but actively want to remain such.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No.1 Special posted:

Maggie Mae Fish - How to Make a Martha || Zack Snyder, Part 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflVJW_MRbs

The last one.

I thought this one was pretty good, most of its focus centered on the gender dynamics in Snyder's films which while a well trod subject is still nice to see more takes on.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just wanna highlight Shaun's amazing video on the bombing of Hiroshim and Nagasaki. Extremely in-depht look at the politics of the decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCRTgtpC-Go

Thanks for this, it's been so long since shaun's uploaded something to youtube that it didn't even show up on my recommended videos so I didn't know this existed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

King James is a bloody Stuart king, stop getting Albion wrong.

In all seriousness, yeah. The annoying thing when Shakey's taught in schools that often a lot of context gets removed and he's just presented as THIS GREAT MAN WHO CREATED OUR LANGUAGE THAT YOU MUST RESPECT and so forth when he was but the most popular playwright of his day, and it's far more interesting to view him from that angle. No wonder so many kids despise him. Not that Shakey isn't good, I love a lot of it. But he doesn't need the pedestal.

I presume a lot of Shakey is still taught in the schools. The government doesn't like kids learning about authors and books that aren't British.

This is why I will forever appreciate that my English teacher, when it came time to teach us Shakespeare, didn't really focus on the importance of the stuff he did but engaged with my whole class on how hilarious it was which actually worked because it got a lot of students who didn't normally give a poo poo to read romeo and juliet and talk about how dumb every character is for just killing one another and themselves. Which was a lot more active than the usual discussions where most of the class sat half asleep not talking at all because they couldn't find any way to engage with something like Crime and Punishment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

Looking at KH3, Avengers, and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite, you can just feel the involvement of Disney/Marvel just oozing off of them.

Meanwhile, Ultimate Alliance 3 and Spider-Man/Miles Morales somehow dodged them and are pretty drat good games. Is it because they were console exclusives, and Disney didn't care as much?

My pet theory, on spiderman at least, is that it's the one property that Disney might realize it just doesn't understand. Which is why we get Spiderverses, because they just don't get spiderman and so when someone's like "So we have this idea for a spiderman movie where a bunch of spidermans, even the spiderhams, come together to fight a badguy and it stars the kid most people don't really know and it's going to look totally awesome" they just blankly give it a budget and hope it does marvel spiderman money and not amazing spiderman money.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

It's amazing how it just barely scratches the surface of NV; it doesn't even go over the DLC (which unfortunately have too much involvement from Avellone)

I like how that's an issue in more than one way these days because, IIRC, they designed the DLC specifically to gently caress with people who played the game in certain ways by doing things like spawning enemies behind you if you were sniping (which is really petty and lovely) or building the enemies with certain stats to be more resistant to popular damage types to basically force people to play them certain ways which I'm never a huge fan of. The DLCs are neat experiences all the same, but I really don't like the whole "well now you have to lose all your gear and do what we want you to" approach most of them took.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SimonChris posted:

More than the color palette, my main problem with the Fallout aesthetic is that everything has to be so grimy and run-down all the time, even though it's supposed to be generations after the apocalypse. Even in supposedly wealthy areas, people still live in filthy rooms with cracked walls, paint peeling off, etc. Why don't people clean their homes and give the walls a fresh coat of paint? It makes no sense.

This has actually bothered me more than I'd like to admit, and about more games than just fallout. Like at least the original fallouts had that whole "people trying to rebuild" vibe which, as Hbomb points out in his video, shows that even if the world looks like poo poo now: people are making efforts to do better. They're inventing new tech from the poo poo they find laying around, they're rediscovering agriculture and reforming entire cities. Eventually they're going to run out of scrap and have to start making their own stuff.

But then you get fallout 3 which is like, hundreds of years after the first fallout IIRC? And things have somehow gone backwards. Everyone just threw down their farming tools and went home to their crap shacks to stagnate. Get in bed with your skeletons, timmy, things can't get better than this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sydin posted:

It's interesting that they've tried twice now to give their Fallout protagonists a really explicit backstory and motivation, meanwhile all the Elder Scrolls games still follow the "random mysterious prisoner with a fill in the blank backstory" which works just fine? Yeah in Morrowind you are always the Nerevarine (or maybe you're not, it's complicated) and in Skyrim you're always Dragonborn, but everything else is entirely up to you. When the Imperials kick you off a boat into a swampy backwater town in a backwater province with 30 gold, the clothes on your back, and orders to go talk to some guy somewhere, you don't also need the knowledge that you're chasing down a relative or whatever to compel you as a player to go out and explore this strange new world and get stronger.

If you cut out all the prologue poo poo from Fallout 4 and it just opened with you being mysteriously de-thawed from cryo, had a little tutorial area in the vault where you find some audiologs or books that set up some mystery around why you were unfrozen, and then kicked you out into the wasteland to explore, I doubt the average player is any less compelled to do so than they otherwise would be with the stolen baby plot.

It's fun because like, with the Nerevarine and Dragonborn stuff, that's largely titles and positions other people foist on you and you have the option (less so in skyrim) to stand up and go "Yeah, that's me, eat poo poo" or decide "Nah I'm not that guy, I just want to get out of this mushroomy hell hole". Fallout 4 could have been completely saved in simple ways too, even if they wanted to maintain the like, biological ties to the antagonist. Why not just make him a clone of you (or a synth replica) and make that the reason why you woke up early, they didn't reset your pod properly. Then instead of it always being about your baby boy you could have the entirely optional quest lines of people accusing you of being this villainous doctor - which would let you either say yes, you're totally this guy you don't know or deny it and get roped into the main quest of finding out what the hell happened and why some weirdos were replicating vault dwellers to begin with.

Macaluso posted:

The story stuff that I have done so far is really good, and the voice acting is fantastic.

You CAN'T romance just any of the romance options though, each gender has one gay and one straight option and that means Panam is straight male only and that's hosed up cause why would I ever play as male V :colbert:
I was actually really disappointed by this, too, especially since like; you can't chat up any of the NPCs either? Weirdly specific thing I guess. But even Skyrim has a tiny stat for whether or not NPCs like you (and with a single tweak of adding them to a specific faction you can recruit literally anyone who likes you as a follower) and there's at least a small handful of unique NPCs who you'd think would have any kind of unique interactions in regards to like, friendships if not relationships: but they really don't. Especially since, narratively, it kind of feels like Panam is the "canon" romance option, no matter which V you play as, which kind of makes it seem like they meant for everyone to play as Male V.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Going back to the last page's discussion: Bethesda is the great evil of our time, but on the other hand, if we didn't have Oblivion we wouldn't have Demon's Souls and then Dark Souls and then Bloodborne. So maybe great evils... are good?

What's the connection? Wasn't Demon's Souls a sort of spiritual successor to the king's field style of games given the many references to them?

EDIT: I finally listened to the bethesda guy talk about writing and this video is driving me nuts. It genuinely kind of annoys me the way he like, seems to have active disdain for players like a lovely DM does? I could very easily read too much into it but the way he says "they just want to throw their paper airplanes" and it's like, dude. People would want to engage with your story if your story captured them in any way. But it doesn't, because the story in these games is just so much rear end that tooling around pointlessly is more fun and more interesting. Like the one anecdote he has about the brotherhood of steel questline where he just outright says "you're wrong, and we know you're wrong" in reference to players thinking another, scrapped, idea would have been more fun just really sucks and this guy's entire attitude explains so much about why fallout 3 and 4 are bad if he's the one with a lot of influence over what goes into the game.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dabir posted:

The bit early on where he talks about how Casablanca seems like a love story on its face but it's actually about sacrifice, how the Incredibles is about superheroes on its face but it's really about family, then he gets to Skyrim being superficially about dragons but really it's, uhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :discourse:

And then he hits fallout 4 and keeps bumbling back to "So it's about androids." "It's about robots that look like people." Also, the part where he says they went back to look at games well known for their dialogue and specifically cites Mass Effect and Telletale games but like, they don't seem to have looked at games absolutely beloved for their dialogue or are famous specifically for their dialogue like, I don't know, New Vegas or even older RPGs like maybe fallout and fallout two which, while certainly clunky, people tend to talk about how they liked those conversations and dialogues.