Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While there is some pickup before it, Halo was definitively the watershed moment because it was a game with easy-to-learn controls and fantastic gameplay on a machine that could get hooked to any TV and entertain four people for hours with zero IT or technical skill involved.

The PS2 helped as well by being a DVD player, but Halo was the game that did it.

Goldeneye was all of that plus a well-known IP four years earlier than Halo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Goldeneye's controls were really bad, and kinda prove the point about Halo. It was the first console fps that didn't require you to already have a strong understanding video game controls to immediately intuit.

The N64 controller was really bad in general but you could also play casually practically one-handed. Oddjob was so aggravating because you had basically no reason to look down otherwise

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Kids today are into things that are meant for adults and turned into weird sanitized YouTube videos that are content mills for children that’s a few notches above the pregnant elsa joker spider-man poo poo, but still garbage and clearly playing the algorithm.

Like, my niece was bugging me the other day to play squid games, and nobody has let her watch that.

I swear to god this is how clowns go full circle. Someone is going to release a scary clown game, the character gets mutated into a kid-friendly version for a billion lovely youtube videos, and bam: clowns are back to being part of children’s entertainment.

In the 90s there were cartoons based on movies like Robocop and Beetlejuice

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
There is one Denny's in the UK and it's in Swansea for some reason

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Honestly for me it’s just background noise while playing Switch or browsing the internet. Longer video means my lazy butt doesn’t have to keep finding something new to put on, and every so often you look up and maybe watch an interesting bit.

I have to imagine for most people it’s just poo poo to listen to while doing chores or working, but I’m sure there are sickos out there that watch every minute of those Joseph Anderson videos.

have you heard of music

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I'm not particularly invested in how other people spend their time or how long a video is that I wouldn't watch if it were 10 seconds long, but this poo poo is permeating the Youtube ecosystem to the point where it's affecting other creators. The Jenny Nicholson Evermore video did not need to be nearly 4 hours long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, I don't think its a flaw at all to not include something that ruins the fun of a game. Its saving players from themselves. I mean sure a niche group of hardcore number crunchers would really appreciate it, but once you start catering your game's design to them, it starts to become inaccessible to everybody else.

It's not saving them, they are just forced to do it in calculator or Excel instead