Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Argas posted:

Lucky for me I largely do not have the problem of chuddy channels being recommended.

Instead I am stuck in some hell where I get a ton of Korean nail technician videos which are at once fascinating with the all sorts of hosed up pincer toenails Korea apparently has, but also super disappointing because they just use the dremel a lot instead of nail nippers. I just want to see nail fungus torn up and destroyed. Instead I am treated to fast forwarded footage of dremeling.

This sounds like me except the wormhole I fell down was the depths of car detailing YouTube so my recs are nothing but power washing and fabric extraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I can completely understand someone being in the midst of a mental breakdown which has lasted years at this point and their first though not being “I really need to update my patrons”.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Barney Gumble: "IT BEGINS!"

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1372536026112135172

"Zack Snyder bends the knee." :allears:

The only thing I cared about with the Snyder Cut was Comicsgate shitheads believing they had power or clout and the fact that they are spending the morning of release day when they should be celebrating making videos titled “gently caress ZACK SNYDER” brings me immense joy.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I don’t understand how saying “mukbang” is a gross word is any different than saying “moist” is a gross word. What a stupid thing to get mad about.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Archer666 posted:

His opinion is pretty much the same as my experiences through the game. Control's had a lot of interesting narratives and concepts, but the combat bored me so much I dropped it and never picked it up again.

Control’s greatest sin is that it meticulously builds a fascinating world with amazing detail and backstory, and then saddles itself with a protagonist who doesn’t care about any of it and just yells “I need to find my brother!” at anyone who tries to explain anything.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, it's not "I don't care, I want my brother" it's "Your problems aren't mine, I'm just here for my brother" which slowly builds towards "wow, I feel right at home in this weird place with these weird people". Then the first DLC knocks her down from the self-assurance high she got for beating back the Hiss on her first day and the second DLC set up the connected universe.

I didn’t play any DLC, and it seems a shame for them to relegate their main character interacting with world at large to paid extra content instead of, you know, in the the actual game.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Nope:

You really can't blame people for assuming the worst here. Why on Earth are people still playing devil's advocate for Rowling.

So, wait…it says she hasn’t uttered a word since returning, then two sentences speaks normally and no one reacts to it whatsoever?

And what kind of lovely hospital doesn’t clean the twigs and leaves out of their patient’s hair?

I can see why this series is beloved by adults for its whip-smart writing…

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I always take “you couldn’t make Blazing Saddles today” as a roundabout way of complaining about how you can’t say the n-word.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

It’s hilarious that people’s breaking point with Quinton is 5 hour videos on Fred and iCarly and not his dealings with a legit crazy person in order to get a giant plush Garfield.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

I made it fully three and half minutes into Maggie Mae Fish's new video about Wes Anderson before I tapped out. I assume there's a youtube engagement algorithm reason that she does the quirky skits and silly costumes but I hate it and I also can't really take watching a 30 minute long video where she repeatedly misnames a character (or in this case family of characters) in a movie that she's discussing where the name is literally in the title.

I guess you're referring to pronouncing it "Tennenbomb" instead of "Tennenbowm", which is probably an accent thing (I do it, too). Seems like a really weird and petty reason to announce you're going to stop watching a video it sounds like you didn't want to watch in the first place?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I think Linkara’s discussions and insights into comic history are really interesting, but can’t stand him flat-out reading a comic with funny voices and riffing on it MST3K style, so I usually tap out of every video as soon as the theme song starts or fast forward to the conclusion.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Does he know you can just, like… not watch a movie? Especially when you are certain you are not going to like it?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

when your core ethos is shaped by consumption you can't

I mean, I admit it is not an issue unique to McIntosh. Vast swaths of YouTube and Twitter lack the capacity to see something, say “I am not interested in that”, and then just ignore it, never to think about it ever again. It’s totally easy to do and dickheads like The Quartering build their entire career around not doing it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Queer Salutations posted:

The algorithm served me up this old Jacob Gellar video that's still very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETAcIbzOTYs

It’s redundant because all his videos are good, but this video is really loving good.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

New Super Metis posted:

it's what the socks symbolise

Warm feet?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Quinton lost my respect when he decided to pump up the owner of Garfield Eats who is a literal crazy person.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

8 Simple Rules For Watching My Cyberpunk 2077 Review

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Watched the fist 20 minutes of this Cyberpunk review and good god I could not dislike this more violently. The thought of watching this for another 9.5 hours is like nails on a chalkboard.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Hmph. I was hoping I could live out the entire rest of my life without ever finding out what NFTs are, but...

Don’t worry, the people investing in them don’t really understand what they are either.

https://twitter.com/JackShawhan/status/1457951413368016899

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Ivypls posted:

i keep seeing that passed around and i am not wrong that it's obviously a bit right? like, i'm not out of my mind yeah?

Probably, but I want to believe.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Reality shows that lie to the contestants about what the loving show even is are the worst.

Counterpoint: Tool Academy

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I can’t wait to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife because the one thing love most from the 1980s comedy movie that everyone admits was almost fully improvised is definitely the LORE.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Lotus Aura posted:

Spotify, however, either cannot or will not stop recommending me Jordan Petersen.

Get yourself someone who loves you as much as Spotify loves recommending me Thin Lizzy.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

bobjr posted:

I’m not even aware of a lot of AVGN controversy, outside of some stuff not aging super well which most internet stuff from 2006 hasn’t, and videos with people like Jontron.

It’s the dumbest poo poo ever, and can easily be solved with “it’s okay to stop paying attention to something you are not enjoying, even if you used to enjoy it in the past.”

Like, if you wanted to complain that James, while not known for doing anything objectionable himself, keeps some pretty lovely company (Doug Walker, AlphaOmegaSin), you may have a point.

But the “controversy” about AVGN seems to be poo poo like “they changed the thumbnails for all the old videos” (who the gently caress could possibly care) and “the videos are not as good as they used to be because James isn’t a one-man writer/actor/director/film crew anymore” and “James does live ad reads.” Their “demands” are as bland as just “go back to the old style AVGN episodes.”

Maybe there’s some bigger controversy that I am missing, but everything I have seen has just been crybaby “fans”. I guess it’s because I am in my 40s, but I completely recognize that at this point James is just keeping AVGN going as a steady paycheck with a minimum of effort while he takes care of two kids, one of which has major health issues, and can respect that.

Good drat, I loving hate “fandom identity culture”.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah, I should have mentioned I watched Emily’s video and really liked it, and it’s what made me look up what the AVGN “controversy” was because I had no idea.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Bone Tomahawk is racist as gently caress and convinced me to never pay attention to another movie that guy makes.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

I know Babylon Bee is the right wing lovely equivalent of the Onion but I keep thinking there's another lovely knockoff as well. Is it The Hard Times?

The Hard Times is not conservative but is indeed a lovely Onion knockoff.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I dunno, maybe I’m too old, but this just strikes me the same as the AVGN complainer stuff. Do people not know that it’s okay to just…stop watching a personality if you are not enjoying them anymore? There is no requirement to “hold someone accountable” or harass them on Twitter or make a subreddit where you obsessively micro-analyze everything they do.

“We must hold fast the journalistic and academic integrity of … *checks notes*… the YouTube channel Your Movie Sucks.”

No, you really don’t! Just, fuckin’, walk away and never think about them again. I do it all the time because who could possibly give a poo poo and we’re living in a time with infinite content, so why get hung up on someone I don’t like, even if I liked them in the past.

I’m not even going into the validity of people’s complaints, just stop watching if you don’t like it. Who cares?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I watch FILMS, not MOVIES

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

I played the first hour of kingdom hearts and my review is that it sucked rear end

I am reporting you to The Review Police for giving an opinion on a series without 100%-ing every game in the franchise.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I continue to have no idea what “based” means and have zero desire to learn.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

https://youtu.be/DWPJ25JSTH4

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Does anyone do videos on failed CCGs, particularly about their history/development/mechanics?

I remember there were a million of them in the late 90s post-Magic and always wondered how they played. (My brother had some card for a Simpsons CCG, though I remember nothing about it.)

Not sure why anyone even bothered making CCGs after the best one ever made was released - Vampire: The Eternal Struggle!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

I still have like a miniature 60 page guide book on how to play that game.

I have a ton of those! Everyone I know that played dumped their cards on me when they stopped, so now I have thousands of cards worth nothing and nobody to play them with. :smith:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Ah poo poo! I clicked on a video from a channel named Unsleeved Media, which turned out to be a side-channel for loving The Quartering so now my recs are hosed for eternity. gently caress you, YouTube!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

V:tES got revived, again, recently.

Yeah, I know, but unfortunately I don’t know anyone who does or would play, and I have no interest in meeting with randos or going to a tournament, pandemic or otherwise.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Lindsay Ellis had a baby? I guess that helps explain her departure even more. Good for her! I hope she’s much happier.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

Which reminds me, has anyone read her book, and is it any good?

My wife and I have enjoyed both of her books. Def recommend if you are into first contact sci-fi.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

As a huge fan of Ultima growing up, same as Spoony, I love how his retrospective so perfectly encapsulates how badly the series dropped the ball with 8 and 9. To someone unfamiliar with the series, his review of 9 may come off as hyperbolic pedantic nerdery, but he really captures what it honestly felt like to follow the entire series for over a decade and then play the final chapter only to see it completely jettison or poo poo on every aspect that made it a success in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

No.1 Special posted:

Jacob Geller - The Best Moment in a Game this Year

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKiHSRYawIM
Nebula (Uncensored/True Version): https://nebula.tv/videos/jacob-geller-the-best-moment-in-a-game-this-year

Spoilers for Immortaity Content Warning for Nudity and Violence in Nebula link

This will be what finally gets me to try out Nebula.

I am minority obsessed with this game, which I consider the worst game I have ever 100%’d, and have been baffled by the positive hype it has gotten. It was so off putting to receive a “final scene” and credits after only revealing about 1/3 of the scenes in the game. I was determined to see everything to even make sense of it, as it felt like the game was actively working against me from truly engaging with it.