Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Primm might have my favorite take on Thanksgiving. "It's a stupid-rear end holiday started by some racists, but whatever! It's a stupid-rear end country started by some racists. I just want some drat mac 'n cheese."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mike Tornabene's other business ventures continue to be middling, and thus he has returned to the Dom Mazzetti character to sell more Bro Science Life merch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLZikS5vIX8

I don't know if it's the fact that Tornabene clearly doesn't want to be doing this anymore, or if it's just that the bit has aged extremely poorly, but Dom videos in 2022 just feel kinda sad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85VQS8JewOY

Nick is enjoying it while Scott looks like he wants to die. Gotta be honest I wouldn't want to look back at early stuff either.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Nick is enjoying it while Scott looks like he wants to die. Gotta be honest I wouldn't want to look back at early stuff either.

These are great, there's full videos for each episode they've done so far over on FourStarBento. Earlier videos cover multiple episodes, later ones only cover one each, but they're releasing two a week. Currently up to episode 23.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

"We've been doing this for nearly 15 years now!"
"...why would you start with that."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Still haunted by Vegeta's "I am an adult" face.

Marked out for acapella Real American to avoid another copywrite strike.

Scromit Comet
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Nick's genuine 'aw come on this is fun even if it's cringe' with Scott actively praying for an aneurism to free him from this is such a great dynamic for it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pigbuster posted:

lolling how we had the whole argument in this thread about how it's possible to make a video on the Disney Channel without mentioning its shows and it turns out the video's about the theme song, so, yeah, turns out the shows are actually not particularly relevant.

Who could have foreseen this? :iiam:

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jacob Geller - The Best Moment in a Game this Year

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKiHSRYawIM
Nebula (Uncensored/True Version): https://nebula.tv/videos/jacob-geller-the-best-moment-in-a-game-this-year

Spoilers for Immortaity Content Warning for Nudity and Violence in Nebula link

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5hwt-BdSd4

Enjoyed the background story of Alone in the Dark being told this way.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

cugel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5hwt-BdSd4

Enjoyed the background story of Alone in the Dark being told this way.

https://lparchive.org/Alone-in-the-Dark-(by-Qotile-Swirl)/

For more on Alone in the Dark, I highly recommend this classic LP, which is done in the style of an old TV documentary.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NorgLyle posted:

This might be my favorite Defunctland video ever and that is saying something considering how much I've loved some of his previous work.

I'm hosed up how good this video is? Like wow.

Edit:

volts5000 posted:

I swear, the ending to this is so emotional and endearing.

This ending gently caress.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 22, 2022

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

No.1 Special posted:

Jacob Geller - The Best Moment in a Game this Year

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKiHSRYawIM
Nebula (Uncensored/True Version): https://nebula.tv/videos/jacob-geller-the-best-moment-in-a-game-this-year

Spoilers for Immortaity Content Warning for Nudity and Violence in Nebula link

This will be what finally gets me to try out Nebula.

I am minority obsessed with this game, which I consider the worst game I have ever 100%’d, and have been baffled by the positive hype it has gotten. It was so off putting to receive a “final scene” and credits after only revealing about 1/3 of the scenes in the game. I was determined to see everything to even make sense of it, as it felt like the game was actively working against me from truly engaging with it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Absolutely amazing video from Defunctland.

It’s interesting. Earlier in the thread there was an argument because someone was annoyed when Kevin said he was about to release a video about the Disney Channel that is over an hour long but doesn’t mention any of the shows. They were annoyed because they took it as the sign of a meandering, unfocused video essay that fails to concentrate on the subject that actually matters. Now the video comes out and, at the risk of revealing too much, it ends up being a pinpoint rebuttal of that exact line of reasoning.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Is that guy who was mad still here? I'd love to hear what they think of the video.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
that kevin perjurer is alright by me

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DanielCross posted:

Is that guy who was mad still here? I'd love to hear what they think of the video.

They’re probably too busy trying to tell people that kanye is still good

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Brocktoon posted:

I am minority obsessed with this game, which I consider the worst game I have ever 100%’d, and have been baffled by the positive hype it has gotten. It was so off putting to receive a “final scene” and credits after only revealing about 1/3 of the scenes in the game. I was determined to see everything to even make sense of it, as it felt like the game was actively working against me from truly engaging with it.

Yeah, I got to the credits and I did see the specific scene the video is about, but I somehow completely missed some important details about that particular character and the other one that he covers in the video.

I liked the game overall, but the fun of figuring something out was undercut by trying to remember which difficult to navigate video clip I saw it in two hours ago.

edit: Video is of course very good.

Popoi fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 22, 2022

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sh2Ib3DklI

any time i see roblox gameplay, it is the most out of touch and old i feel

i also played junky free online games as a kid but i thought these new kids were smarter than us

anyway walmart is in the "metaverse".

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Arc Hammer posted:

it's impressive how seamlessly woven into this the t-shirt plug is

I think they're having a better time with the namek arc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gnome de plume posted:

it's impressive how seamlessly woven into this the t-shirt plug is

I think they're having a better time with the namek arc

Apart from some really lovely homopjobic and transphobic "jokes" at the start of their Namek episodes it's probably my favourite stuff they made. I'm a sucker for the Ginyu Force and TFS correctly identified the Ocean Dub as the better voices to inspire their take on the characters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ivypls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sh2Ib3DklI

any time i see roblox gameplay, it is the most out of touch and old i feel

i also played junky free online games as a kid but i thought these new kids were smarter than us

anyway walmart is in the "metaverse".

roblox itself is old at this point, it launched in 2006 and I was watching videos of it as a kid myself. The appeal of fake legos and containing a what-you-paid-for take on most popular game genres endures

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Brocktoon posted:

I've seen Voidburger's playthrough of it. It's... I think it's way too esoteric a designing a game mechanic. I mean, art is meant to be interpretable by the audience - that's all well and good - but the game DOES have a story.

And if the ability to access the story is actually HINDERED by the way that the player interacts with the mechanism that allows them to play the game, that is - again, imo - a serious stumbling block in a piece of art that actually has a structured story. And that's not even getting into the story itself.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Is there a writeup anywhere about recent tallarico drama for those r are deathly allergic to homberguy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dongicus posted:

Is there a writeup anywhere about recent tallarico drama for those r are deathly allergic to homberguy

tommy lied about being on mtvs cribs it was a video made for a gaming magazine that he uploaded on his personal website https://www.tallarico.com/ claimed was an episode of cribs. tommy has also lied about metroid prime being designed around his music because shigeru miyamoto was a big fan and tommy was the first american to work on sonic the hedgehog starting with the video game sonic and the black knight released in the year 2009. tommy has also claimed to be in the yankees hall of fame tommy also lied to investors but thats not as funny as the other things tommy has lied about

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Dongicus posted:

In short, historically, anytime Tommy thinks he can personally take credit for something even on extremely nebulous and easily-falsely-proven-with-minimal-research pretenses, he absolutely will lie through his teeth to anyone that will listen (and tons of people who don't want to listen too)

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Don't forget how he almost got sent to Federal 'pound me in the rear end' Prison for not declaring bringing cash into the US, and then for his excuse being 'I actually did this other more illegal thing to get around the law'.

But I think the main thing is he's lying over creating the Roblox oof personally, and being really pathetic over getting money from Roblox over since he does legit own the licence for it. Thats all explained in the very short 29 minute video hbomb uploaded (ignore the time stamp)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Paingod556 posted:

Don't forget how he almost got sent to Federal 'pound me in the rear end' Prison for not declaring bringing cash into the US, and then for his excuse being 'I actually did this other more illegal thing to get around the law'.

Legitimately lol when I saw in the video his explanation and I thought "this sounds way worse and illegal, is this allowed?" and then the answer was lmao no

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Does make me kinda curious why he was coming back to the U.S. with 100k in cash.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Does make me kinda curious why he was coming back to the U.S. with 100k in cash.

Whoever booked his videogame music show found it easier to pay him personally under the table rather than to his company through bank and Tommy was too stupid to launder it before coming back

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Samovar posted:

I've seen Voidburger's playthrough of it. It's... I think it's way too esoteric a designing a game mechanic. I mean, art is meant to be interpretable by the audience - that's all well and good - but the game DOES have a story.

And if the ability to access the story is actually HINDERED by the way that the player interacts with the mechanism that allows them to play the game, that is - again, imo - a serious stumbling block in a piece of art that actually has a structured story. And that's not even getting into the story itself.

As a guy who liked Sam Barlow's previous games which were fairly grounded stories, I was disappointed that the answer to "What happened to this rising star?" was Immortal Shapeshifting Vampires that were also Jesus.

In Her Story and Telling Lies, I felt more in control of what paths I was exploring. In Immortality everything felt like a dice roll to see if I was going to get a new clip. By the time I found the song referred to in the video, I was so tired of clicking on random background objects for new clips that I fastwarded through the darn thing.

That being said, finding the game's other mechanic was a "Finding the environmental puzzles in The Witness" Tier moment for me and the acting and the tones of the different era movies was all top notch to me.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

GigaPeon posted:

As a guy who liked Sam Barlow's previous games which were fairly grounded stories, I was disappointed that the answer to "What happened to this rising star?" was Immortal Shapeshifting Vampires that were also Jesus.

In Her Story and Telling Lies, I felt more in control of what paths I was exploring. In Immortality everything felt like a dice roll to see if I was going to get a new clip. By the time I found the song referred to in the video, I was so tired of clicking on random background objects for new clips that I fastwarded through the darn thing.

That being said, finding the game's other mechanic was a "Finding the environmental puzzles in The Witness" Tier moment for me and the acting and the tones of the different era movies was all top notch to me.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to with the game “actively working against me engaging with it.” Replacing the simple keyword search that Her Story and Telling Lies had prevents the user from pursing topics and narrative through lines in an emergent way, instead leaving you to just constantly click on random poo poo to get completely unrelated clips. It also does not prioritize unseen clips so you so often end up ping-ponging between 2-3 of the same clips and think you found all the ones with that object when really it’s just the randomness and there 5 clips you haven’t seen yet.

I wanted to like the game so bad because the concept is 100% my poo poo, but the structure and gameplay was just so obtuse and unfun. Clips from the 3 movies are automatically sorted by movie, date filmed and its place in their respective movies, so there’s zero deduction to be had there, while the “real” story in the secret clips is not tracked at all. Did you just see a secret clip that put a secret clip you saw 4 hours ago into better context, so now you want to watch it again? Hope you remembered exactly where it was or otherwise you are completely hosed. And once you discover the trick to finding the secret clips, your attention to the movie clips completely wanes, because you’re just searching for the secrets. To me it was just a complete design bungle of what should have been a slam dunk.

It also didn’t help that the Ambrosio clips, which the user is most likely to discover all of first is the best stuff in the game. The early-2000s movie about the pop star was actively terrible.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LanceHunter posted:

Mike Tornabene's other business ventures continue to be middling, and thus he has returned to the Dom Mazzetti character to sell more Bro Science Life merch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLZikS5vIX8

I don't know if it's the fact that Tornabene clearly doesn't want to be doing this anymore, or if it's just that the bit has aged extremely poorly, but Dom videos in 2022 just feel kinda sad.

Sad times. Some of that early stuff is hilarious but when you strain to do the voice it's probably a good time to pack it in.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

The early-2000s movie about the pop star was actively terrible.

I think this was deliberate. All the movies are stylistically in keeping with bad, low budget movie making of their era, but 60s euro fantasy films have so much charm and a basic level of craft that they're actually very compelling to watch.

Like even though Ambrosio has a Hitchcock-inspired director, the film far more resembles something Mario Bava, Jesus Franco, or Freddie Francis would make

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Two of Everything was so reminiscent of Showgirls I would be shocked if it wasn't the direct inspiration.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tommy lied about being on mtvs cribs it was a video made for a gaming magazine that he uploaded on his personal website https://www.tallarico.com/ claimed was an episode of cribs. tommy has also lied about metroid prime being designed around his music because shigeru miyamoto was a big fan and tommy was the first american to work on sonic the hedgehog starting with the video game sonic and the black knight released in the year 2009. tommy has also claimed to be in the yankees hall of fame tommy also lied to investors but thats not as funny as the other things tommy has lied about

DanielCross posted:

In short, historically, anytime Tommy thinks he can personally take credit for something even on extremely nebulous and easily-falsely-proven-with-minimal-research pretenses, he absolutely will lie through his teeth to anyone that will listen (and tons of people who don't want to listen too)

lmao ftw.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i didnt make the part where he said he was in the yankees hall of fame up either lol tommy rules

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hear that Tommy was the first cyborg to go to Jupiter

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Notwithstanding his bullshit Tommy tallarico is such a fun name to say out loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Notwithstanding his bullshit Tommy tallarico is such a fun name to say out loud

It sounds like a fake name you'd make up when you need a name for a fictional rear end in a top hat character, and then you find out he is actually a real, currently existing rear end in a top hat.