Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Problem description: so for the last several weeks I've had a sporadic issue with my hard drives on my computer. I have 3 drives, 1 SSD and 2 old school SATAs all from ~2013 (so yes near the age when they could start failing). Randomly one of the SATA drives will take an extremely long time to open folders or interact with files, and other times it's fine. Also randomly, rebooting or turning off my computer will take more than 2-3 minutes to complete, where it normally takes <30 seconds. I've noticed that some games (that auto save, slay the spire) I have saved to the SATA hard drives are unable to save and very slow to play through. What's confusing is I don't think all 3 would fail at the same time, the effect is sporadic and sometimes affects the startup of the computer. So could it be something like the motherboard and this is just a symptom?

Attempted fixes: I've pulled the SATA hard drives from the case and reseated them. When doing so I noticed they were warm to the touch, but don't know if that's related or not. The most recent time after reseating the two SATA drives the computer booted up normally/the drives interacted normally.

Recent changes: the only change to the system was ~2-3 weeks prior to these symptoms first appearing and it was a very minor upgrade to my GPU I got as a hand-me-down from a friend. I went from a ASUS DirectCUII to a AMD Radeon R9 200 series.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10 64 bit

System specs:
processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4770k CPU @ 3.50 GHz
motherboard: ASRock Z97 Killer
graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 200 series
memory: 16 GBs
power supply: cooler master v850 80 plus gold
hard drive(s): Samsung SSD 840 PRO series, WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2, Hitachi HDS721075KLA3230

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, google just returned a lot of ways to defrag my hard drive, which i don't think is the issue.

Spikes32 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run CDI to check HD health:
https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Spikes32 posted:

So could it be something like the motherboard and this is just a symptom?

Possibly but it's much more likely that one of the older HDDs has an issue itself.

Also, it's normal for HDs to be hot.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Since this post went up one of the hard drives failed entirely! Nothing I cared much about was on it.