Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I saw that and would also be amazed if the center would be able to slide over an entire player to get into that double team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I like this post where he’s extremely close to getting it before continuing not to get it

https://mobile.twitter.com/bburkeESPN/status/1320776350458929152

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

a neat cape posted:

They're going to win today

:hmmyes:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Well it looked bad for a bit

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you know what, I am completely okay with Justin "The Mad Bomber" Herbert

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/RiverboatRonHC/status/1320787690179223553?s=19

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Alaois posted:

you know what, I am completely okay with Justin "The Mad Bomber" Herbert

I'm annoyed that some nfl scouts have been right (so far) about him and Josh Allen that you can take a tall strong bad college QB that can't throw accurately and make him a quality nfl qb. I still lol sadly about the really nice article on Allen that brought together analysis from a bunch of different people with the conclusion "if Josh Allen succeeds in the nfl, basic math will have been proven wrong."

e: nothing against Allen or Herbert, just sucks that "he looks good in shorts" can point to some drafting success lol

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

sourdough posted:

I'm annoyed that some nfl scouts have been right (so far) about him and Josh Allen that you can take a tall strong bad college QB that can't throw accurately and make him a quality nfl qb. I still lol sadly about the really nice article on Allen that brought together analysis from a bunch of different people with the conclusion "if Josh Allen succeeds in the nfl, basic math will have been proven wrong."

e: nothing against Allen or Herbert, just sucks that "he looks good in shorts" can point to some drafting success lol

If only Al Davis could of lived long enough to see this come to fruition

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sourdough posted:

Herbert was getting Heisman hype his last two years though. He was always going to be a project but he was, on balance, a good college player on a pretty good team. Allen was just a big guy with a giant arm. And I’d say the jury is still out in him. The Bills have looked like rear end the last 3 weeks and his postseason performance last year was definitely not confidence inspiring.

Edit: also, more than anything else I’d say what those guys show is what’s been obvious for a while now, which is that you really need a QB that can make things happen with his legs. Being able to throw on the run and punish defenses who rush too aggressively is the best way to offset how good pass rushers are getting and how poor most o line play is.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 26, 2020

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

sourdough posted:

I think the difference is NFL teams seem more willing to coach up a guy year round and tailor personnel and the offence to match a QBs strengths rather than just throwing a guy out there and expecting them to run whatever gently caress playbook from 1987

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Herbert was getting Heisman hype his last two years though. He was always going to be a project but he was, on balance, a good college player on a pretty good team. Allen was just a big guy with a giant arm. And I’d say the jury is still out in him. The Bills have looked like rear end the last 3 weeks and his postseason performance last year was definitely not confidence inspiring.

Edit: also, more than anything else I’d say what those guys show is what’s been obvious for a while now, which is that you really need a QB that can make things happen with his legs. Being able to throw on the run and punish defenses who rush too aggressively is the best way to offset how good pass rushers are getting and how poor most o line play is.

Who was the last young QB drafted that was actually a successful pocket passer? The sun is setting on those types of QBs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Who was the last young QB drafted that was actually a successful pocket passer? The sun is setting on those types of QBs.

Goff... Carr?

It's hard to categorize young QBs as "pocket passers" since most young talented QBs can run well and will take the opportunity if they see one.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Goff... Carr?

Out of the current starters I guess those two are the most recent, then you get to guys like Stafford and Cousins I guess? Matt Ryan if they don't count? Everyone but Goff and Carr is over 30.

Even if you include lovely (or at least likely lovely) QBs, Jones, Trubs, and Darnold can all scoot. I suppose Jimmy G might be the closest other guy and he's not exactly a statue either.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 26, 2020

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It usually takes a few seasons to know if a qb is good

People thought Wentz, Mariota and Jameis were all good

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wentz was good for that one year.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ehud posted:

It usually takes a few seasons to know if a qb is good

People thought Wentz, Mariota and Jameis were all good

With the right coach, they can be reclaimed.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

exactly bro

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Where did Wentz old QB coach end up? I remember he infamously flamed out as OC for the Vikings. Philly need to throw a pile of cash at him to get him back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Nick....Foles?

Question mark is for multiple things there.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Silly Burrito posted:

With the right coach, they can be reclaimed.

Who could get Winston to stop being a turnover machine? Who will heal Mariota's many injuries?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Who could get Winston to stop being a turnover machine? Who will heal Mariota's many injuries?

Winston may have that coach now. And injuries can heal, just ask Teddy Bridgewater or Drew Brees.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Mariota was good now he can't feel anything with his throwing hand

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

I'm so glad to have witnessed the birth of football Malcolm Gladwell, just this blessed moron who everyone is going to award attention for his dumb, precocious takes and the controversy his interesting ideas generate.

I am sure he almost certainly realizes on some level it's more complicated than that, and there are like...run fits and all that to consider, but who cares he's getting massive engagement.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'm so glad to have witnessed the birth of football Malcolm Gladwell, just this blessed moron who everyone is going to award attention for his dumb, precocious takes and the controversy his interesting ideas generate.

I am sure he almost certainly realizes on some level it's more complicated than that, and there are like...run fits and all that to consider, but who cares he's getting massive engagement.

That's Ben Baldwin / Cian Fahey's MO too

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hot Diggity! posted:

That's Ben Baldwin / Cian Fahey's MO too

Cian Fahey was arguing on Sunday that Tannehill's success in Tennessee is proof that Mariota was an excellent, top tier quarterback.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I heard OBJ tore his ACL fuuuuuuuckkk

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Aldon Smith for Nick Mullens who says no

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

His success I think was basically entirely just excellent execution and the newness of RPOs on the NFL stage. That waned, and so did Wentz.

That's kinda why I have to look at the new phenomena of the big beautiful throwboy like Allen and Herbert with a jaundiced eye too. NFL defenses are stuck in this area where they've got the arm strength to tear up spot-drop zone coverage and the athletic ability where you're worried about man coverage without a spy, but how many years are you going to get out of that?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Spoeank posted:

Aldon Smith for Nick Mullens who says no

Footage of Aldon Smith returning to the 49ers facility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEb_BV5TAfA

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

His success I think was basically entirely just excellent execution and the newness of RPOs on the NFL stage. That waned, and so did Wentz.

That's kinda why I have to look at the new phenomena of the big beautiful throwboy like Allen and Herbert with a jaundiced eye too. NFL defenses are stuck in this area where they've got the arm strength to tear up spot-drop zone coverage and the athletic ability where you're worried about man coverage without a spy, but how many years are you going to get out of that?

I mean, this is Roethlisberger's 17th season. I know everybody forgets, but he was basically Wentz or Allen for his first 5 years or so. He ran all the time before his motorcycle accident

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

D-LINK posted:

I mean, this is Roethlisberger's 17th season. I know everybody forgets, but he was basically Wentz or Allen for his first 5 years or so. He ran all the time before his motorcycle accident

That ol gray dick, he ain’t what he used to be

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D-LINK posted:

I feel like Wentz and Allen (definitely Allen) both run to gain yards more than Ben ever did though.

Ben ran around a lot, but he always had that thing where he just wouldn't take off and was waiting for goddamned ever for a receiver to come open. Unless your argument is just that he was mobile, in which case yeah he definitely was in addition to being strong as hell.

e: different league at the time too, I'm sure today he would be intentionally used as a runner a lot more often.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 26, 2020

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Grittybeard posted:

I feel like Wentz and Allen (definitely Allen) both run to gain yards more than Ben ever did though.

Ben ran around a lot, but he always had that thing where he just wouldn't take off and was waiting for goddamned ever for a receiver to come open. Unless your argument is just that he was mobile, in which case yeah he definitely was in addition to being strong as hell.

e: different league at the time too, I'm sure today he would be intentionally used as a runner a lot more often.

Well, the first few seasons, he would take off running too. You're thinking of like 2007-2012 when he was running around the backfield shrugging of DTs. You're right, it was a different league then, so it wasn't as frequent as Wentz or Allen, but he ran for first downs quite a bit early on

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this dude was cut lmao immediately

https://twitter.com/joshkleinrules/status/1320518792280236033?s=20

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

this dude was cut lmao immediately

I love how coaches and GMs don't hesitate to cut practice squadders and camp bodies to show that they're "serious!" and then turn around and give special treatment to their favorite players

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/1320850737375621122

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I think the evidence is quite clear that “succeed in the NFL” is such a nebulous standard that the only way you can get someone to agree that they were wrong about a player is if they either win back-to-back Super Bowl MVPs or get cut two years into their rookie contract without ever having seen the field.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Like everyone else with money* in america right now, just super fuckin' mad they can't go out and spend it the way they want to.

*also plenty of idiots without money doing the same I suppose

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

OxySnake posted:

If only Al Davis could of lived long enough to see this come to fruition
I remember reading the Raiders were one of the teams supposedly high on Herbert so the soul still burns.

Also Gruden would probably grab every QB project anyways if there were enough roster spots.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Goff... Carr?

It's hard to categorize young QBs as "pocket passers" since most young talented QBs can run well and will take the opportunity if they see one.
Yeah even Carr is quick enough to make a run for it, he just...usually doesn't.

Anyway, I don't think I saw this posted yet, season ending COVID infection:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30187081/sources-jacksonville-jaguars-rb-ryquell-armstead-battling-covid-19-expected-miss-rest-season

quote:

While most NFL players have recovered quickly from COVID-19, Jacksonville Jaguars running back Ryquell Armstead has not.

Armstead, who some within the Jacksonville organization thought would replace Leonard Fournette as the starting running back, is not expected to play again this season because of symptoms that he has suffered while battling COVID-19, league sources told ESPN.

Armstead has been hospitalized twice and has suffered from a variety of complications connected to the virus, including significant respiratory issues, and has been hit harder than some expected.

Jacksonville placed Armstead on the reserve/COVID-19 list twice this season -- the second time coming during the first week in September, when head coach Doug Marrone said he couldn't "put an exact timetable" on Armstead's recovery but noted that "he'll be out a while."

Armstead, 23, is expected to return next season at full strength, according to sources. Armstead was projected to be a significant contributor to the Jaguars at the time he was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. His absence has allowed rookie undrafted free agent James Robinson to emerge as the Jaguars' starting running back.
Views: hopefully it's just season ending :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Like everyone else with money* in america right now, just super fuckin' mad they can't go out and spend it the way they want to.

*also plenty of idiots without money doing the same I suppose

Practice squad pays per week. He'll have made a grand ol 67k and his career is likely done for being a dumbass.