Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Out of curiosity, how much does training for EMT (or higher) cost in the real world? I never bothered to look it up, but have a feeling that whatever number I find will be on the low side after random costs add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Syrian Lannister posted:

A community college near me is running a summer class, just under $1,400 for tuition, lab fees and books and materials are additional.

Oh, I was thinking it would be much more. It's interesting to see/hear about what other fields require as the "initial investment" for a career.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Khizan posted:

Some volunteer EMS organizations will cover the cost of your training if you commit to a period of time working for them. That's how I got my certification. IIRC I had to commit to something like 36 hours of on call time per month for a year.

That actually sounds very reasonable, especially for a volunteer organization.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Depending on the state it’s sometimes not even the volunteer org that’s covering it but the state DOH cuts the check, the organization just wants a commitment so you don’t just join and bounce as soon as you have a card.

Also interesting. Back in High School I looked into it (was totally fascinated with the whole concept) and it was WAY more money for the training than I could afford, and that was just to volunteer. Good to know there are programs out there to help train people, or at least they can now be found with internet access.