Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
If your an rn seriously look for rn to paramedic bridge programs. They are their but rare, and literally you as an icu nurse have a ton of critical care experience which will be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Well, firefighting orientation went extremely well and I got my colleague to prescribe me adderall for a previous ADHD diagnosis. I figured it can't hurt with the 24 hour shifts. I'm definitely going to look into the paramedic route as well now that I know paramedic-firefighter is definitely a thing. I feel much more comfortable now and am extremely excited to get out of the hospital and into a true first-responder role. Most firefighters don't get paid much but we start at 65k here in a state with a low cost of living. I'm not sure how much being paramedic will add to that, but job satisfaction matters more to me than anything. All the firefighting guys were really nice and seemed like genuinely cool dudes who actually want to help people; what makes you feel the need to dunk on them? I'm really excited to bring my trauma/critical care experience into the field.

Be aware that it is a massive bitch to get into a fire department, and the biggest issue is that many areas are volunteer, one of the dumbest things that still is considered essential in this field. Volunteering is basically a requirement to work your way into a station in the hopes of getting a full time slot. Getting your medic will let you work in EMS, and in the dreaded private ambulances where you will run joe dirtbag the stump man from dialysis to his nursing home. Also a ton of money in most fire departments is the overtime you get because you are on 24, off 48. So every other week you work 72 hours.

Fire fighters get dunked on because its big man put out fire break down wall lol. In some districts you can be a firefighter and not even have any medical training not even an EMR and CPR cert. Shits a wild west in some states and areas.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I'm sorry that firefighting just requires pictures to do and be trained for. I brought some blocks you can use to make a door to break with this toy axe.