Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Where’s my crayon?

Also I work EMS, too! It’s just like, 80-90% of what I do. Though I also got to touch a fire the other week.

I still think I’d have rather gotten ROSC, less cleanup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s so weird to me how much the EMS side of things gets shafted in favor of the fire side of things. The 3rd service place I just left gets maybe 10 percent of its budget from the town, to the tune of a little over 100k. The fire department would revolt if they got that little even though they do maybe a tenth of the calls we did.

I never got a ROSC. All my codes were unwitnessed or otherwise futile from the get go. Best part of not transporting codes anymore is the easy cleanup, though. poo poo gets everywhere when you code someone in an ambulance.

Where did you work? Rural EMS? As it is, I work rural/semi-rural, and even so I get like 1/5 to 1/7 ROSC. That sucks, but each it does make cleanup easier.

And the disparity in EMS levies to Fire levies is loving huge. Fire levy in my area is around ~$1.50 per $1,000 property value compared to something piddly for EMS, along the lines of (pulling this out of my rear end) ~$0.40 per $1,000.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I will also say, unlike jokes about other bigger fire departments near my, I don’t pre-full in my BPs so everyone is 118/78!!!!!

Started rural, ended up doing most of my time in a college town in NY. Really missed the college kids this year, they broke up a lot of the monotony by doing the dumbest poo poo in the world.

Went 0-9 on codes, but I also never had a patient die on me- if they were alive when I got there they made it to the hospital.

We don’t even have specific EMS levies here, just a line in the town budget if you’re lucky. Tons of people think their fire taxes pay for it, but they don’t. Though a lot of the time people straight up think even the third service ones are part of the fire department.

I mean, if you’re rural I’d guess that makes a lot of codes be DOA on its own - depending on response times. That does suck though. That said, maybe it’s because the median age where I work is in the 50’s, but only 9 codes in six years - drat. That’s some white cloud poo poo there.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 21, 2020

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Totally guilty of just putting 16 in for respiratory rate on my patients that are breathing normally.

Who isn’t? More importantly, who cares? Read the patient, not the numbers. Numbers just help with reading the patient.

Posting before some RN gets lovely.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I was kind of surprised it never happened just from the ten mile stretch of NYS Thruway that I covered, but never had a fatal anything out there. I think it’s from having stupid good options for LZs, anyone who was hosed up enough to die got flown, and if they flew then it was like eight minutes to a trauma center. Even then, I did like two flight jobs there in six years, compared to like four a month in my half a year or so of doing rural EMS.

I did figure if anything broke my streak it’d be a cyclist, though. The closest I had to someone dying was a bicyclist that got hit and run by a drunk driver and left in a ditch for close to an hour.

gently caress it, let me look up a report I did a couple months ago, and I’ll get some stories going tomorrow or Friday. Obviously, a few things might be changed to protect identity and all PII removed.

Call it the few bucks you throw in the bottom of the tip jar to get people to start tipping.

Khizan posted:

I think everybody does this.

Also, I'm super surprised you didn't have at least one motorcycle rider die on you in the truck. I'm in a pretty rural area and "idiot didn't wear a helmet" is a frustratingly common cause of death out here.

To be fair, I had my first motorcyclist die on me two months ago. Got him to the LZ, had started compressions en route to LZ and his heart kicked back in, and then at the LZ he coded again.

One of my partners had his hand in the dudes ground holding his femoral the whole way there and then there again at the LZ. Combination of that and then the flight nurses starting a blood line that dripped on him when they bled out on his shoulder (covered by gown) by accident dude looked like Dexter by the end of it.

Edits due to autocorrect and phone posting

windshipper fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 22, 2020

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Thank you! I just don't want to be dismissed for "anxiety" when I've dealt with high stress situations in both the ER/ICU with zero issues. I've tried every other medication for my muscle spasms and low dose diazepam has been the only thing that's worked with any effectiveness. Like I said, it isn't a nightly occurrence nor would I ever consider taking any mind-altering substance while on my 24 hour shift.

I will have to get my EMT certification, which will need to be done post fire-academy. I'm almost positive a paramedic program will work as an equivalent though - I'll confirm at orientation on Wednesday. Becoming a firefighter was what I always wanted to do initially but if I can help people as a first responder in any further capacity then I'm 100% in. Thank you for the advice.

Job satisfaction is extremely important to me and I sincerely enjoy helping others in any capacity I can. I figured my experience as an RN in critical care would be beneficial as a first responder to car accidents and similar incidents. I just don't want to lose this opportunity over something as trivial as muscle spasms. I'm currently at a private endocrinology clinic and plan to continue work there during my 48 hours off.

edit: Sorry I didn't clarify that the job position I'm going for is firefighting in my initial post.

Firefighter-Paramedic is a thing. And you will earn more money and be a bigger asset.

Source: Currently a career firefighter/EMT being put through a paramedicine program by my department and getting paid to do it.

Edit: I mean, the agency you’re going for will need to have a license to run ALS service, but... if they do, then totes be a medic-firefighter-icu nurse.

I think they issue you a halo instead of a caduceus or something for that level of life saving.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 11, 2021

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Tagnik posted:

feels like Firefighting isn't a popular topic at all

but just finished medic school! time for the national! anyone got that Dr Bowers book?

It’s a text-based medium, it selects against firefighters.

And they’re all too busy putting blue lights on their personal cars to ask someone to read a message board to them.

I will never get tired of dunking on firefighters.

:saddowns:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Hey, I’m in medic school!

That said my best prank was adopting a donkey for my captain. The donkey was on a donkey rescue in Ireland and his name was Richie. He even got a hand drawn picture, a certificate, and twice yearly updates on how Richie was doing.

The best part, was he was at work when he got it, so he called his wife to tell her. His kids happened to overhear, and thought they were actually getting a donkey. Poor bastard had to explain to them they weren’t actually getting a donkey.

I waited about 4 months afterwards, and then got some of those little bitty rubber cast donkey toys and started hiding them in his gear, his bedding, his locker, leaving some out on the kitchen table. I even gave a couple to some coworkers for them to leave and hide for him in places.

After about a year i fessed up to him it was me.

Also you can dunk on me all you want... I’ll take good pay, great bennies, and a functional union. 😘

Edit: Fwiw, my department is also the EMS for our district too, so...

windshipper fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 16, 2021

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I spent so much time trying to unionize EMS near me and got nowhere. Switching to occ health and EHS was the best thing I ever did but every EMT I know is target fixated on being an RN.

I do miss having fun rivalries though.

My wife is an RN. I don’t know why anyone would want to be one.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Getting your OHN and doing construction stuff is the way to go. Easy work and insane pay. If you’re up for traveling and long hours of reading the internet on your phone you can make 200+k working for Bechtel, easy.

But all of em think they want to be ER or cardiac nurses and make their life about it instead of having some kind of non medical hobbies and taking some time off.

Yeah, she works at one of the ten busiest ERs in the country. Massive respect, but man... I’m good with dropping them off and driving away.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Yeah, firefighters in my hometown get paid garbage whereas the much bigger town I currently live in get paid ~$60k median. They just built a new multimillion dollar training facility that we'll be the first class to go through as well. I don't know, maybe I'm being naive, but I can't wait to get the gently caress out of the ICU and do this instead.

Shitload more fun, a lot harder on your body. Be well and fit. Even if everyone around you is trash, the leading cause of death in firefighters is cardiac arrest. Also, look into Healthy In, Healthy Out. Having smoke stained gear, unwashed, and not wearing your PPE is loving dumb, even if it makes you look cool.

It’s all carcinogens.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

stinkypete posted:

I really liked B EMT classes out of highschool Trauma was my favorite. Sick patients who actually made me think started to intrigue me and I almost went into becoming a flight nurse. I always liked the the Paramedics who did the stay and play. As a Basic I was a Load N GO!

Get the training regardless it pays off I am a fat gently caress 20 years later but I can stuff a wound with on the side of the Interstate with quick clot.

Stuff bleeds Pack bleeds Call 911

The technical term is, “Put the white stuff on the red stuff.”

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Most fire departments in my area - those who have volunteer programs - will put you through your EMT course and fire academy at no charge to you for that same type of commitment.

That’s how I got my firefighter 1, hazmat ops, and EMT. From there, as long as I was working for the department, any further classes I’ve taken have been paid for by the department as well. Instructor 1 and 2, firefighter 2, fire officer 1, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

So I took my firefighting entry exam earlier this week - one question has me kinda conflicted. I mean, I only need a 70 to pass so it shouldn't matter. It was just a lot of phrasing designed to throw you off. For example, they gave us a formula where you solve for a variable and then multiply it with the others. I put the "right" answer down according to the equation and then realized they were just asking for a single variable of it. I didn't get to review my exam before I turned it in so that has me nervous. Everyone is telling me not to worry but I can't help but wonder if I missed something else like that. One of the questions was a simple "if you turn this cog one way how many cogs turn counter-clockwise" but it was worded in a way to where it was sort of ambiguous if you included the original cog in your count. It'll be two weeks until I find out but I'm more nervous about this than when I took my NCLEX to get my RN.

Anyways, the question was something like, "You just finished putting out a fire in a home and see a fellow fireman put $50 from a drawer into his pocket, what do you do?" (It was worded to where it wasn't clear he was stealing.)

I think I overthought it, the answers were something like:

A. (Can't remember but definitely wrong.)
B. Tell the supervisor
C. Ask him what he is doing.
D. Say nothing.

I chose C because in this scenario it didn't clearly state he was stealing so it seemed irresponsible to go over his head without confronting him first. I figured I could make a better judgment on doing B if I performed C first. It's plausible he was removing it from the scene; it's not like I know the protocols yet. The more I think about it though, the correct answer they were looking for was to tell the supervisor? If I saw someone doing something sketchy, I would ask them before reporting them because that would still allow me to tell the supervisor afterwards if they were obviously stealing. It's one of those real world vs. 'in a vacuum' questions, I guess. I feel like you should always start conflict at the lowest level then escalate as necessary. Going over someone's head and accusing them of theft to their superior seems like the second level of ethical escalation in this scenario. It was worded in such a way that I couldn't tell if it was a trick question or not.

God, it's sad how much I'm overthinking this exam. I just hate that it will be two weeks before I get the results.

You chose right. You give them the benefit of the doubt and ask them what they’re doing. Then you say, “Hey, let’s make sure that money stays safe and let’s go together and take it to our supervisor.”