Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

She was always turbo succ truscum, folks never noticed that Tabby was basically her going for a succ stereotype of actual folks who do poo poo. There's a reason why so many trans folks loving hate her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

StratGoatCom posted:

She was always turbo succ truscum, folks never noticed that Tabby was basically her going for a succ stereotype of actual folks who do poo poo. There's a reason why so many trans folks loving hate her.

i dont understand any of this, it sounds extremely online

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

StratGoatCom posted:

What is truscum, tabby, and folks

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
tabby is one of her many headmates

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

hmmmm fascinating. any receipts?

while you look for those receipts, please also look for directions to your nearest polling station and go v*te

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What are receipts, what are headmates, why are you censoring voting

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
i think people believe she has much stronger opinions on things than she really does and none of her videos have ever come off as "mocking" other trans people to me

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

shovelbum posted:

What are receipts, what are headmates, why are you censoring voting

forget it shovelbum this is Too Online for you.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i think contra is fine. she belabors the point a bit much and is kinda self-indulgent but whatever, it's youtube.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Ocean Book posted:

I’m gonna vote Biden because I’m part of a demographic that won’t be put on concentration camps by liberals but would be by fascists. If you do the same I’ll be grateful

i appreciate ur honesty, and will vote for howie out of a sincere desire to deny u this specific future

end the genocidal police state or burn this country to the ground with no survivors

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think she's boring and kinda edgy in the embarrassing way, and she regularly pisses off just about every trans person i know so mostly just ignore her

animist
Aug 28, 2018
she constantly obfuscates her own beliefs and flirts with drama. i strongly suspect this is intentional, because controversy = clout.

smarxist posted:

i think she's boring and kinda edgy in the embarrassing way, and she regularly pisses off just about every trans person i know so mostly just ignore her

yeah ultimately her beliefs are "succ lib but edgy and conflicted about it," and wanting to pretend that vacillation and never giving anybody a straight answer is the same thing as intellectual depth.

animist has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Oct 21, 2020

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

I’m gonna vote Biden because I’m part of a demographic that won’t be put on concentration camps by liberals but would be by fascists. If you do the same I’ll be grateful

i too hit my head once, got a concussion and forgot about what happened during the obama administration

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/angryblacklady/status/753942558112227328

imagine trying to pull poo poo along these lines in 2020 lmao

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel transphobic for not being more Online bc I've just never heard of like 98% of the Discourse around trans stuff

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

shovelbum posted:

What is truscum, tabby, and folks

She has this thing for characters to 'debate' with; Tabby is basically a straw enbie of everyone doing 'leftism' or being trans wrong to her.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

shovelbum posted:

I feel transphobic for not being more Online bc I've just never heard of like 98% of the Discourse around trans stuff

nah its fine

truscum = believing you must have gender dysphoria to be trans. That is, experiencing serious discomfort with your assigned gender. Some people transition without having dysphoria, for a variety of reasons. For example, they could experience euphoria as a different gender, but no dysphoria as their original gender. Or maybe they just want to try it out. etc.

Truscum usually cast themselves as fighting to keep trans rights respectable, in opposition to like, people who wear cat ears and use weird pronouns. They describe it as an issue of people appropriating a real medical issue because of social trends. Sorta like, people who declare themselves to have a gluten allergy without really having one, for "health reasons".

Personally, I think more people questioning and loving around with gender is a good thing. Also, gender and sexuality can be hard to figure out -- putting up barriers to protect the "real transes" can hurt the people who need help the most. So i think truscum ideas are, at best, misguided.

i strongly suspect that in 20 years the truscum movement will be where anti-trans feminists are now -- a fading movement, frustrated at being left behind, increasingly aligning with right-wing causes to get purchase. but that's just my suspicion.

tabby is contrapoints' caricature of an anarchist non-binary person, who wears a cat ear headband and hisses like a cat. Tabby is usually being portrayed as wanting to "smash the system" without having any real deep philosophical Understanding™ or Dialogue™. a very lib portrayal of a leftist, basically. and a very truscum portrayal of a non-binary person.

animist has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Oct 21, 2020

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Goddamnit, now contrapoints is bad too? I thought the videos on how capitalism sucks were good and helped me better articulate my position on how dumb things are. I've only watched a couple of her vids though.

Caveat: I am a well off but not actually rich jerk who votes for harm reduction in the general but maxed out for Bernie; and I like making fun of my succ friends who voted for Biden in the primary. Please help me I do not want to succ.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

She has this thing for characters to 'debate' with; Tabby is basically a straw enbie of everyone doing 'leftism' or being trans wrong to her.

lol. Hang on, I'm going to make my youtube video about whatever stupid bullshit I think, and I'll also play the guy who disagrees with me by wearing a big dunce cap and digitally adding some stink lines.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

lol. Hang on, I'm going to make my youtube video about whatever stupid bullshit I think, and I'll also play the guy who disagrees with me by wearing a big dunce cap and digitally adding some stink lines.

ah, the socratic method

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

please vote for gloria la riva, thank you.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

That is essentially a lot of her output, just add a really annoying voice and expensive wine.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty conservative, I really struggle with the current like idea of gender as being biologically innate and mostly binary, I grew up thinking it was a spectrum and a big rear end cultural construct you could struggle with and subvert, like every other 90s kid, and so the non binary ppl def make a lot of sense to me and idk why they're controversial when they're acting in a really obvious way for a person to act.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mila kunis posted:

please vote for gloria la riva, thank you.

i voted for howie due to my misogyny. i hate women, especially goon women. mwahahahaha. see you in qcs, bitches

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

contrapoints uses caricatures to represent people online, her own inner monologue, comments from friends, and online posts to tell a story/make a point.

there’s a number of folks that have overall good opinions but engage in “splitter” online outrage and seem to over exaggerate a negative thing they don’t like.

go v*te

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The person Contra mocks most is herself by a lot, and Tabby's always come across less as a representation of leftists in general and more the voice in her head yelling "pontificating about it won't change anything, go out and smash poo poo and force people to pay attention".

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

The person Contra mocks most is herself by a lot, and Tabby's always come across less as a representation of leftists in general and more the voice in her head yelling "pontificating about it won't change anything, go out and smash poo poo and force people to pay attention".

Go out and smash poo poo.... hang on a sec, actually, before you smash anything, could you swing by the local library please and vote? City council's putting a new property tax increase on the ballot this year, and John Stimson is running for District 3 Clerk, and he's basically like our town's version of Bernie. Yeah, he actually joined the DSA halfway through his campaign. Ok, anyway, once you vote, then go ahead and smash poo poo and force people to pay attention.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Smythe posted:

i voted for howie due to my misogyny. i hate women, especially goon women. mwahahahaha. see you in qcs, bitches

:blastu:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I will only vote if Youtube personality Rich Evans tells me to

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

i liked a few contrapoints vids. good poo poo. sorry to hear she believes in voting. sick poo poo.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

most def

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Yes ContraPoints, we poors will continue voting for different flavors of corporate fascism like we’re told to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTMZ5A-9kg

gently caress off

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Malkina_ posted:

Yes ContraPoints, we poors will continue voting for different flavors of corporate fascism like we’re told to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTMZ5A-9kg

gently caress off

thank you for your service

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

the great part is we can complain about Biden and v*te against Trump at the same time.

go v*te

thank you for your service, Howie/Gloria v*ter

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
I don't care if Trump will put me in a camp, I'm not voting for repowering the CIA in a blue state.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Atrocious Joe posted:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/dananessel/status/1318974609874685954

misinformation@michigan.gov

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/Cinnam0nT0astle/status/1318955828498567174

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lol